• Published 11th Jan 2024
  • 1,467 Views, 1,238 Comments

MLP G5 Sunset: Tell Your Tale: Season 2 - JesusG0987



What If: The Mane 7 adventures continues while facing a snow leopard enemy that is on the lose in Equestria.

  • ...
7
 1,238
 1,467

Chapter 11: Written in the Starscout

Chapter 11: Written in the Starscouts

In the Brighthouse at night, Zipp is in the living room surrounded by a ton of books while she is looking through the royal family photos of the previous queens of Zephyr Heights before her mother. “Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. No! No!” She cried out as she closed the book and tossed it away in despair. “Not helpful!” She cried before she hit her head on the table.

The lights turned on as Sunny and Sunset were walking down from upstairs. “Zipp? You're up late.” Sunny said in surprise.

“What’s with the late night research?” Sunset asked in wonder. “You don’t usually do it this late unless you are searching for something you desperately need.” She stated, knowing that Zipp is searching for something.

“Ugh.” Zipp groaned as she lifted her head up. “I've been searching through my family history trying to find somepony who did the whole ‘queen thing’ differently.” She explained while making air-quotes with her hoof. “But…” She then picks up a scroll with a french looking queen. “Guess I'll have to work on my disapproving frown. Hmph.” She said in a posh accent tone while making a frown face similar to the picture.

“Whoa!” Sunny called with a small laugh while Sunny gave a small giggle. “That is a... strong look.” She commented as she gave another laugh.

“Okay, that is a bit funny.” Sunset said with a small giggle. “But, you do know that those were during the times when Equestria was divided and the magic was still gone, right?” She asked.

“Yeah, why?” Zipp asked with a brow.

“There is nothing saying you can't be the FIRST in your family to do the ‘queen thing' differently.” Sunset said to her with a smile. “Now that magic has returned and ponies are together, you can be a better queen than your mother when the time is right.” She said to her. “Even the best of Royalties can have a rough start, I should know since I saw them in action.”

Zipp thought for a moment before she gave a small smile. “Well, I guess that’s true.” She said with a shrug.

“Well, at least you know something about your family.” Sunny said as the three mares looked up and saw Sunny’s old picture of her father above the fireplace.

“You really can't remember anything about being a filly?” Zipp asked in wonder to Sunny.

Sunny then frowned. “No, not really. Not before Mom... you know.” She said a bit sadly as they looked at the picture again.

“Don’t you remember anything about your mother, Sunny?” Sunset asked in wonder. “As a matter of fact, we never saw any pictures of her or you ever telling us about her.” She said while rubbing her chin. “I mean, we know your father, but that’s pretty much it.”

“I really don’t know, Sunset.” Sunny said sadly. “I was way too young to even remember my mother’s face. And she wasn’t really around when growing up with dad. Which is why there’s not even a picture of her around.” She said while lowering her head.

Sunset and Zipp gave sympathetics looks at Sunny, who can’t seem to remember her mother is a bit worse than not having her dad around. Then they heard a thumping sound. “What was that?” Sunny asked her friends as they turned to a shelf as rainbow magic is moving a makeshift book as they looked surprised by it.

“What is that?” Sunset asked as Sunny gave a thoughtful look at the book as she walked towards it as she picked it up and saw the starscout crest and a piece of Sunny above it. “Do you recognize that book, Sunny?

“‘Sunny's Memory Book’?” Sunny read the title before she realized what it was. “Hey, I think I remember this! From when I was a filly!” She said with a smile as Sunset and Zipp walked up to her in surprise.

Sunny opened the book with a couple of photos of herself as a filly, but also a picture of not only Argyle, her father, but also an Earth Pony mare who has ear fur pink lace while wearing a necklace with stars with the middle one having wings, her mane and tail are cerise pink while her mane has red and yellow stripes, her eyes is olive green and her bright yellow star with four purple spots around as she was on a family photo with Argyle and on another of her holding a filly Sunny in her arm.

Sunny gasped when she saw the mare holding her in the picture as her eyes teared up. “Mom?” She asked while Sunset and Zipp were surprised by that.

“That’s your mother?” Sunset asked in surprise. “Wow. She looks great. And now we know why you have rainbow streaks when you become an Alicorn.” She said with a small smile.

“Yeah. I guess I do.” Sunny said with a tearful smile as she touched her mother’s picture, which caused the book to sparkle, which surprised the three mares.

“Whoa. What's happening?” Zipp asked in wonder.

“I don't know.” Sunny said in wonder as she looked at the book. “It feels... warm? Kind of like hot cocoa on a cold day.” She said as she gave a smile and tears formed from her eyes again as the book shined bright and Sunny started glowing as Zipp and Sunset backed away.

“Sunny?” Sunset asked in concern rainbow magic then started coming out of the book and to Sunny.

“Whoa!” Sunny called out.

“Sunny!” Both Sunset and ZIpp cried as Sunny was sucked into the book as Sunset quickly caught it.

“Oh, dear. Not again.” Sunset muttered before she saw something in the book. “Huh?”

“What is it, Sunset?” Zipp asked.

“Look at this.” Sunset said as she made room for Zipp to see in the book as the pegasus gave a surprise look.

“Wait. Sunny?” Zipp asked in surprise as she and Sunset looked at the book.


Sunny then looked up as she looked at her hooves and touched herself, realizing she was a filly again as she looked at her surroundings as she saw that she was on a tree branch on a tall tree, which caused Filly Sunny to scream in fear as she clutched the branch.

“That's it!” Filly Sunny heard a voice as she looked down and saw her mother walking up to her with Argyle beside her. “Just... Just jump down, Sunny!” She encourages me with a smile.

“You've got this, kiddo! We'll catch you!” Argyle promised with a smile as Sunny’s mother nodded.

Filly Sunny looked surprised before she smiled widely with sparkles in her eyes. “Ah!” She called before she jumped from the branch with giggles and tears of joy as her parents raised their hooves to her as they caught her in their arms as Filly Sunny smiled at them as tears kept falling from her cheeks.

“Oh, we're so proud of you!” Argyle said with a proud smile.

“Our little sunbeam!” Sunny’s mother said with a cute smile as she giggled while the two parents hugged their daughter as Filly Sunny returned it.


Outside the book, Sunset and Zipp saw the pictures moving and saw what they witnessed when Filly Sunny jumped from the tree branch and into her parents’ hooves. “Wow. Now that is cute.” Sunset said with a surprise yet warm smile.

“Okay. So Sunny's been sucked inside her own memories.” Zipp said with a freaked out expression. “Keep calm, Zipp. Keep calm!” She called as she turned to Sunset and shook her. “Why aren’t you freaked out!?” She called before Sunset slapped her to the face.

“Keep it together, Zipp.” Sunset said softly to her as Zipp shook her head. “This isn’t the first time we got sucked into a book. And I’ve been trapped in items before, so no surprise there.” She stated. “Besides, this could be useful for us to get to know Sunny’s mother and see what really happens to her if these are Sunny’s memories of her.” She added.

Zipp realizes that Sunset is right as she calms down. “Well, I guess we'd better just go with it, right?” She asked as the two sat on the couch.

“Yeah. Now, let’s turn the page. Maybe there’s more memories with her mother.” Sunset said as she turned the page to show a couple of photos of Filly Sunny messing with some fruit and two pictures of her mother, one with her at her daughter’s side at her bed.


In Sunny’s old bedroom, she was in bed with her mother holding a Twilight figure. “And that's when the magic disappeared from the world and all pony kinds fell apart from each other.” She explained as she gave the Twilight figure to her daughter, who held it with giggles. “But nothing's gone forever, Sunny.” She said as she looked out to the night sky. “I know we can bring it back.” She said with determination as she turned to her daughter with a warm smile.

“And I know that you will do amazing things and make new friends.” Sunny’s mother continued warmly. “Especially those from other worlds like Twilight’s friend Sunset Shimmer, who was from Equestria before going to that world. I know you will meet somepony else like her someday with friends of different pony kind.” She said as she gently caressed her daughter’s cheeks.

Young Sunny Starscout: “Mommy!” She giggled.


Sunset and Zipp looked at the picture in surprise. “Whoa. Sunny’s mother really believed in the magic of friendship and Twilight’s reign like Argyle.” Zipp commented.

“Yeah, and what’s more, she also predicted Sunny’s life before it was even made, like me being in her life.” Sunset said in surprise. “Now I see why Sunny’s father married her. Looks like both of Sunny’s parents believed in Twilight’s history.” She said as she turned the page, which revealed to be Sunny’s mother exploring the different areas she discovered with a picture of her with a saddle bag and a telescope while exploring.

“Whoa, look at those drawings.” Zipp said in amazement as they saw a map drawing on the other page. “And a map.”

“From these details, it looks like Sunny’s mother was an adventurer.” Sunset said while looking at the details. “She must’ve been exploring all of Equestria in her time.” She added with a smile.

“Yeah.” Zipp said with a smile before giving an interested look. “But what was Sunny's mom looking for?” She asked.

“Let’s keep looking.” Sunset as she turned a page and saw Filly Sunny holding a popsicle.


Filly Sunny was holding a huge popsicle while giggling as her parents were watching her behind her with smiles as Sunny’s mother gave silent giggles. Filly Sunny opened her mouth wide, but the popsicle dropped on her face as she licked her face and took some out as she gave a smile.


Sunset and Zipp looked at the memory with fond smiles. “Awwww!” They both said, finding Sunny in that memory cute.

“Baby Sunny is adorable!” Zipp said with a cute smile and sparkles in her eyes before she saw Sunset smirking at her as she cleared her throat. “Okay. Focus, Zipp. This is important.” She said to herself.

“Yeah. It is, but still, that was cute.” Sunset said with a smile. “Sunny was really a cute filly, despite me seeing her actually become one a couple of times when she got turned into a filly with you and the others, twice.” She said with a chuckle.

“Yeah, it was still kinda weird.” Zipp said with a sheepish smile while scratching her head. “Can we move on?”

“Sure.” Sunset said as she turned the page again of another picture of Sunny.


Filly Sunny was under a table as her mother was walking around with her father in the room. “I just know this will give us the answer.” Sunny’s mother said to her husband as she picked up a book and showed him a rolled up map.” If I can find it, it might be the key to bringing magic back to Equestria.” She said with a smile, which made Argyle smile as the two walked off.

Filly Sunny watched her parents walk off as she looked up at the map as she tried to jump up to it, but she couldn’t reach it. She then stacked some books into a stair as she climbed up to the map as she reached for it.

But then Sunny’s mother came in and took the map. “Sorry, Sunny. I need that for my adventure.” She said to her daughter with a smile as Filly Sunny climbed down. “But I do have a special present for you.” She said before she reached into her saddle bag and placed her telescope down. “Can you keep this safe for me until I get back?”

Filly Sunny then smiled with sparkles in her eyes as she giggled and hopped on the telescope, which rolled across as Filly Sunny landed on her back. But she got up with giggles and rolled the telescope to her father as Argyle picked up his daughter as Sunny’s mother giggled.

“Just remember to watch where you're going, Sunny.” Sunny’s mother said as she placed her hoof on her daughter’s cheeks as Filly Sunny nodded before she turned to her husband and placed her hoof on his shoulder. “I love you both.” She said as they gave a family hug. “Look after each other. I'll be back before you know it.” She said with a wink as she walked off while Argyle and Filly Sunny watched.


Sunset and Zipp saw the picture while Sunset gave a thoughtful look. “She was looking for a way to bring back magic. Like Sunny and us.” She said in surprise. “So that’s where Sunny got her adventure side and her way of spreading the magic of friendship.” She said with a smile.

“Yeah. Guess it runs in the family from her parents.” Zipp said with a smile. “It’s a good thing we helped complete their goal.”

“Yeah, but Sunny’s mom didn’t return.” Sunset said with a frown, which made Zipp frown as well. “And from how long it’s been, she hasn’t returned when Sunny was growing up with her dad before he… you know.” She said with a small sadness as Zipp nodded. “I wonder what happened to her?”

“Maybe there’s more on the next page.” Zipp said as Sunset turned the page, but then the other end was the cover. “Oh, no. It's the last page.”

“And it looks like a photo of Sunny and her father in the light room.” Sunset noted, seeing the two in the top of the lighthouse at night.


Argyle was with Filly Sunny watching the stars as Filly Sunny was looking through her mother’s telescope. “The important thing to remember, Sunny, is that your mom will always be watching over you from the stars.” He said with a warm smile while gesturing to the night sky as Filly Sunny gave sparkling eyes as she went looking through the telescope again as Filly Sunny’s Cutie Mark started glowing.


With Sunset and Zipp, their Cutie Marks glowed as well as the book started glowing again. “Oh! Something's happening!” Zipp called as the pages started flipping.

“Yeah, I think I have a feeling what comes next.” Sunset said as Sunny came out of the book with the telescope as she screamed.

“Sunny!” Both Sunset and Zipp called as Sunny landed on them as the couch tilted and the telescope landed next to them.

“Ouch!” Sunset called as they got up as Sunny rubbed her head while Sunset rubbed hers from the bump from the telescope.

“Are you okay, Sunny? What just happened?” Zipp asked Sunny.

“Yeah, we saw the photos of your memories of your mother, but nothing much.” Sunset said after rubbing her head.

“I was... I was inside my memories!” Sunny said with a smile. “And my dad was there, and... I saw my mom!” She said happily.

“We-we saw her, too!” Zipp said with wide eyes.

“We saw your time with her and your father when the pictures were moving.” Sunset said with a smile. “You clearly take after your mother alright.” She said.

“Y-Yeah, I guess I have.” Sunny said with a bright smile.

“But what was she truly like?” Zipp asked in interest. “Do you know what she was looking for? Where did she go?” She asked.

“Yeah, we know it was a clue to find and restore magic, but what was she really looking for?” Sunset asked Sunny. “We know it wasn’t the Unity Crystals if they weren’t rediscovered at the time, but she had a map. Where does it lead?”

“I-I don't know, but... Zipp, Sunset, look!” Sunny said as she pointed down to her mother’s telescope. “I've got the telescope she gave me!” She said as she picked it up.

“It came out of the book from your memories when you exited it.” Sunset said while rubbing her head. “And landed on my head.” She added as the two mares giggled.

Zipp then read the description on the telescope. “‘To Sunny. Love, Mom’.” She read.

“Aw, that’s very touching.” Sunset said with a smile.

“I... I think I know what I have to do!” Sunny said to them with a smile and sparkles in her eyes.


The three then made it to the crystal room at the top of the Brighthouse as they looked around. “In my memory, I was standing…” Sunny started while looking at the telescope and trying to remember which spot she stood on before the Lighthouse became the Brighthouse.

“Right over there.” Zipp said as she pointed to the spot where a stand for the telescope be.

“Looks like the Brighthouse kept one spot of your memories intact when we rebuilt it.” Sunset said as they walked up to the balcony.

“Dad used to say that Mom would always watch over me.” Sunny said as she placed the telescope in place as she took a breather and looked through the telescope as she looked through the stars before she found three twinkle ones up, which made her look up as her Cutie Mark started glowing.

The three mares looked in awed as the Cutie Mark magic shot up to the sky as they went to the three twinkle stars as Sunny watched as they formed into a pattern of Sunny’s mother up in the night sky, which made Sunny teared up with a small smile. “From the stars.” Sunny finished as she looked at the starshape of her mother.

Sunset and Zipp looked at Sunny with warm smiles as Sunset walked up to Sunny and wrapped a wing over her. “From the stars, and from your heart.” Sunset said with a warm smile. “Now not only do you have your memories of your mother back, but now you have two things to remember her by. And wherever she is, she would be proud of the mare you became, Sunny.” She said with a smile.

Sunny kept tearing up with tears of joy as she nodded and looked up to the star shape of her mother again. “Happy Mare’s Day in advance, Mom. I love you.” She whispered as the Brighthouse then glowed brightly.


Then somewhere in Equestria, while Sunny’s mother star shape is still shining, a shadowy figure was up a hill looking at the night sky. “I love you, my sunbeam.” The figure said in a familiar tone before continuing on her journey.

End of Chapter 11.