• Published 4th Oct 2012
  • 2,131 Views, 70 Comments

Pegasus Horns - silvadel



Chaos descends on Ponyville as pegasi and earth ponies learn magic and unicorns march in protest.

  • ...
7
 70
 2,131

The Quiet before the Storm

Apple Bloom pensively walked into the classroom fifteen minutes before it was supposed to start and took a seat.

Misty turned to Apple Bloom. "Now Apple Bloom, my techniques have been designed for Pegasi not Earth Ponies. And that look isn't going to sway me. Earth Ponies have their magic way back at their flanks — it would be much too — Please stop that look. It would be much harder for you to."

Apple Bloom had a look that rivaled Fluttershy when she really really wanted something. It was simply unrefusable. Misty looked at the ceiling and said, "I give up. You can stay, but I do not hold much hope for you to figure it out having missed one class and all."

Apple Bloom returned a sincere smile and said, "You don't need to worry 'bout that Misty. Scootaloo worked with me all week and I can feel my magic just fine. So I'm not behind the rest of the class."

Misty pointed at an empty chair on the opposite side of the room. "Very well then Apple Bloom. Take a seat over on the left side."

There were not enough chairs for the forty-odd pegasi that came through the door. Twilight Sparkle, shocked at the significant change in attendance had to bring in chairs from the town hall to accommodate them.

Misty looked out at the assembled ponies, gave a nod to Thunderlane which was not returned, and began speaking.

"I see we have a lot of new faces out there today. Anypony who was not here before please raise a hoof and Spike will give you a copy of the notes from last class."

Misty caught an icy look from Twilight due to her being more prepared in this case.

"With that out of the way I want to split this into three sections. Everypony who can NOT feel their magical energy yet — I want you on the right. If you know you were successful with moving any of your energy around — I want you on the left. Everypony else should be in the center."

"I am going to be working with the ponies on the right for the first half hour. Ponies on the left, what I want you to work on is finesse. You do not need to move a lot of magic to form a horn and moving too much fails worse than moving too little. Ponies in the center — work on moving your energy. You know it is there. You just want to get it in motion. Ponies on the right — You are behind and these techniques do not ALWAYS work. You really need to bear with me and try to notice your magic. I will be a little more blunt this time than last. Do not worry if you get any really odd feelings."

Misty walked up and down the right rows tweaking and prodding the magic within each pony. A few of the new ponies leaped from their seats at the magical touch. Others remained oblivious.

"Okay, ponies on the right. Anypony who still can not at all feel their magical energies and were here last week raise a hoof."

Six pegasi complied.

"Follow Twilight Sparkle and I upstairs please."

"I have done everything I consider completely safe with regard to helping you. There are a couple of things that I can do that are a little less safe. If you are not up to being on sick call for the next three or so days then please go back downstairs... All of you want to stay? I actually hoped at least a couple of you would have chickened out as with this many it is going to be almost as hard on me as it is on you but it shows the pegasus spirit."

"Remember what I said about what happens if you have no energy for your wings? Lets just say that any of you that fails is not flying home tonight. Twilight you are up first."

Twilight's horn glowed a strong blue as she passed from pegasus to pegasus and froze their energy in place.

"Now it is my turn — Flitter you are first."

Misty formed her horn and carefully moved ALL of Flitter's energy away from her wings. "That should feel REALLY weird for you."

Twilight glared at her no longer clean floor and then back at Misty. "If I knew they were going to lose their dinners I would not have agreed to do it up here." She then produced a bucket in front of the other ponies.

Misty looked sheepishly back at Twilight. "I guess I underestimated her constitution." She glanced back at the other pegasi and said, "Who wants to be next?"

After manipulating the energy in other ponies, Misty started up again.

"What you are feeling is a combination of three things. First your magical energy is frozen. It will not go back to its normal balance by itself. Only you can do that. Second your energy is completely unbalanced and in an unnatural state for a pegasus. None of it is in your wings. Really none of it is at all useful to you. Third you can't regenerate any energy naturally. These conditions will remain for three days — you will either learn to recenter your energy or you are going to have a rough time. Oh you have an opportunity few pegasi have had. Give your wings a good flap and don't worry, you won't hit the ceiling."

The pegasi all flapped their wings in unison. They look puzzled at each other and flapped again, and again.

"Yep you are all formally grounded. This is a good object lesson for what would happen if you burned up all your energy in the air. I hope to see you all next class but if you do not figure this out, unfortunately there is simply nothing more I can do. Please exit quietly so as not to scare the other students and remember — Twilight can remove the spell holding your energies in place any time. Please ask it if you get desperate."

Misty looked at Twilight, "Do you think we did the right thing? If Celestia sees them in this condition... Lets just say that 'pegasus on the run' is not my favorite song title."

Twilight thought a moment. "You said you couldn't deny them the gift of magic and it was their decision even if they didn't know exactly what they were in for."

Misty sighed, "True enough. Well I have the rest of the class to attend to now," and descended the stairs.

"The next half hour I will be spending with the ponies on the left. Anypony from the middle who thinks they have enough control — Please take a seat on the left. Anypony on the right who have successfully discerned their magical energy — Please move to the middle."

After the shuffle, there were only three ponies on the right, with the other sections practically equally divided. Misty inwardly smiled.

"This time we want the ponies in the middle to try to work on control. Essentially do what I told the left ponies to do last time. Scootaloo, I know you have been bored thus far so I am going to put you to work. If you do not mind please try and help those three ponies on the right. You can thank your efforts with Apple Bloom for giving me the idea. Now ponies on the left — This is your moment. What you want to do is take that energy you have been playing with for the past half hour and very carefully move it to your forehead. This is an exercise in patience. Do not force it. I will be walking around trying to help."

Misty wheeled a large mirror in front of the left side ponies, and watched intently. Star Hunter was the first to succeed. Cloudchaser managed a horn a few minutes later. By the halfway point there were a half dozen eerily glowing horns. It was at this time that Star Hunter cried out.

In unison Twilight and Misty asked Star Hunter what was wrong as they raced to his side.

Twilight rapidly cast a spell and said, "His optical nerve was overstressed. He should be fine now."

Star Hunter groaned. "Images. I saw everything. Canterlot, Ponyville, Trottingham, all at the same time."

Misty eased in. "Twilight will be able to teach you control. Eventually you will be able to see into anywhere Orion shines. I told you you had a strong gift. Actually do you like Canterlot? Maybe Luna...."

"Sorry for the interruption everypony. Star Hunter's was the only potentially dangerous strong talent I detected among you. It was why I took him aside last week. No fear. Please go back to what you were doing."

After the middle period was over, there were a dozen glowing horns of which one was Apple Bloom's. That did not even include Scootaloo and Star Hunter.

"Exceptional. For this last period everypony who has successfully manifested a horn has a new teacher. Please follow Twilight outside. She will try to help you figure out what you can do with that horn of yours. Scoot, any luck with those straglers?"

Scootaloo gave a quick grin and replied, "What straglers? Everypony is in the center now."

"Very good. Then you can go out with the others and see Twilight. Thank you. Now it is your turn middle section."

By the end of the class another dozen pegasi had earned their horns.

Misty peeked out the door to a scene of mild pandemonium. Clouds flew around. Rainbows danced despite it being nighttime. Eldritch lights pierced the sky.

Misty tried for a Fluttershy voice, "I see you are finding some success. Would you possibly be interested in another group?"

Twilight smiled. "Oh I do not mind. Pegasi have the most interesting magical talents. I haven't had this much fun in ages."

Misty turned to the successful pegasi. "You heard her. Have fun."

Misty then looked to the other ponies and said, "No worries. We are well ahead of the game. Keep trying to make the horn appear and if you succeed come and see Twilight. She seems to have a lot of fun helping pegasi find their talents."

With that Misty re-entered the library which was now devoid of ponies. Turning to Spike, Misty asked him to take a letter.

"Dear Princess Luna

One of the pegasi I was training has the most wonderful gift. Star Hunter actually has starsight through Orion. I know you will be excited finding such a kindred spirit of the night. Would you be interested in assisting in his training?

Friends Always

Misty
"

Spike soon coughed up a response.

"Dear Misty

I will have a chariot for Star Hunter tomorrow night I look forward to meeting him and revel in what he represents.

We thank you.

Princess Luna
"

Misty re-entered the controlled pandemonium outside and asked "Is Star Hunter around?"

Strawberry Sunrise turned away from encouraging the growth of a grape-vine and pointed towards the center of town.

Misty took wing and caught up to Star Hunter just past the mayor's office. "Wait up I have some great news."

Star Hunter turned to face Misty as she continued, "Luna has agreed to take up your training personally. You will love her. She is so warm — maybe a little formal at times but at any rate there will be a chariot here for you tomorrow night."

Star Hunter gave the most confused look a pony can muster and then came back to his senses. "I guess I have packing to do then, Pinkie Pie."

Misty's entered her own state of confusion, got it, and said "I wasn't that far overboard."

Star Hunter merely chuckled as he continued on his way.

-------

Prince Blueblood had waited outside the throne room for two hours. His servants replaced his rose with a fresh one and applied a little more powder to his cheek and forehead.

Prince Blueblood muttered "This is insufferable. They would have put all other business aside for my grandfather. What ever happened to the traditions of old?"

Finally the doors to the throne room opened. "Prince Blueblood" was announced loudly by the herald of the court.

Prince Blueblood entered the throne room with a slow and dignified walk. He did not provide one glance to the nobles on either side as he approached the princess. At roughly three-quarters of the way towards the throne, he stopped and went into a formal bow.

Princess Celestia nodded in return and Prince Blueblood stood back up.

Formalities completed, Prince Blueblood started into his prepared remarks. "Princess Celestia, I would like to bring to your attention a situation of grave importance happening in Ponyville. A pegasus named Misty Midnight has for over two weeks now been teaching magic to non-unicorns."

After pausing to allow the gasps and murmurs from some of the other nobles to cease he continued. "As I was saying, There are now at least two dozen pegasi and and least one earth pony who have broken sacred tradition by casting magic with the help of the criminal Misty Midnight. There is even one of these abomination pegasi currently studying under Princess Luna right here in Canterlot."

Blueblood paused again for effect and continued, "It has always been the sole right and duty of Unicorns amongst the ponies of Equestria to conduct magic since before Equestria was founded. The actions of Misty Midnight can not stand. Her school must be shut down and she should be imprisoned as an example to any who would follow her lead."

Princess Celestia stood up and walked three paces towards Prince Blueblood before stopping on the stairs to her throne. "Prince Bluebood -- We know of the school that Misty Midnight has founded. We understand that what Misty Midnight is doing is unorthodox, untraditional and could cause certain problems down the line. However she has broken no standing law in Equestria with her classes. So long as there is no disorder — We see no problem."

Prince Blueblood was shocked. He was about to voice his objection to this ruling but the words of Celestia rang in his mind. "So long as there is no disorder..." Was Celestia giving him a course of action?

Princess Celestia stared at the motionless Blueblood. "If you have no other business with this court..."

Prince Blueblood came to his senses and said, "No, your majesty," bowed, and retreated from the throne room.