• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,080 Views, 205 Comments

X-COM Ponies - Sneaky Breeze



Earth is under attack by savage aliens that want us as slaves but Discord wants to help us win?

  • ...
16
 205
 4,080

The best Earth (and Equestria?) have to offer.

Chapter 2: The best Earth (and Equestria?) has to offer.
Three months after First contact.
Fort Benning, USA.

Lieutenant Cotton panted as he crawled prone across the mud covered ground at fort Benning; the large installation had been on high alert since the start of the alien invasion just like every other base around the world.

The invasion had seemed to come to an unknown halt after several countries had managed to push off invasion forces from major cities. The media reported most that the aliens had been beaten, but that was only because the world governments had collectively worked together to hide the truth that the aliens continued to send ships to Earth. They did this in order to stop the mass panic and rioting that would occur around the world which would just make them an easier target to the aliens.

Cotton quickly rose from the muddy ground and was almost knocked over by an explosion a few feet from him that kicked up dirt and mud. In his arms he held X-com’s new standard soldier rifle the XM9, a completed and upgraded version of the XM8 prototype assault rifle that the US army had never gotten into mass production.

He switched it to a three round burst mode of fire as small figures of sectoids popped up and cotton dispatched them without hesitation as he looked through the electronic sight of his rifle and did what he was trained to do, the aliens falling like cards. Cotton then finished taking out the sectoids and rushed as fast as he could to a flare and upon reaching it shouted out “time!” as he completed the training course.

Applause was heard by Cotton as floodlights activated to reveal several instructors in grey camouflage fatigues who walked over to Cotton and soon congratulated him.

“One of the top 10 in all of the North American X-com team. Impressive captain, now go to the meeting hall and await further orders.” Cotton saluted and returned to the armory table and set his rifle and armor down for the next person in training to use as he made his trip to the meeting hall.

While walking to the meeting hall Cotton couldn’t help but smile at the influx of new recruits. The number of people wanting to enlist in the service after the alien incursion had almost tripled and people all over the country were all trying to do their part. This much patriotism hadn’t been seen since the second world war.

Cotton arrived at the meeting hall and out of his pocket pulled out a small patch that showed the earth with a blue X on it and the Latin words “vigilo confide". It was the X-com patch and since this was an X-com meeting Cotton was allowed to wear it on his arm but nowhere else as, officially, they didn’t exist.

Only the Leaders of the 16 funding council nations and a few necessary civilians or other staff were allowed to know anything about their existence, less they jeopardize security by letting it slip out to the aliens a united human force was stepping up to oppose them, it was as they said “Loose lips = lost lives.”

As Cotton sat down in a chair next to other squad and platoon leaders he noticed there was a man from the Mexican Special Forces and a woman from the Canadian Special Forces. Before he could ponder on it any further the same man who had walked over to him when his APC pulled up back in San Francisco had just stepped up onto a podium in front of the gathered group. Everyone quickly stood at attention before the superior officer.

“At ease everyone, we have a lot to talk about and not a lot of time to do it. First of all I am General Martin Luis Franklin and as of yesterday I am officially the acting officer in charge of the North American branch of X-com.” The room remained quiet as General Franklin activated a projector and soon began explaining what information they had on the aliens while pointing it out on diagrams and photos taken from combat zones or dissection tables.

Franklin began explaining how the aliens used some sort of crystal that did not exist on the periodic table of elements to power their weapons and ships, and that after several dissections and tests it had been determined that the grays, now dubbed the Sectoids, had once been aquatic and that they had evidence of possible psychic abilities among the aliens. On the topic of Sectoids Frankling brought up that they had managed to capture three live aliens.

However, not much information could be gathered since there was no way to understand them. But that dilemma was being handled by some of the worlds best language professors and a new universal translator that was being programmed by multiple supercomputers.

The next topic Franklin went over was of standard X-com operating procedure. Every X-com operative would obey the laws of whatever country they were in, if a foreigner was operating in another country he was under the command of a local officer. All X-com facilities were to not share information with each other unless important, otherwise everything was on a need to know basis to lower the risk of vital information being leaked out to the aliens in the event a base was captured or infiltrated. This continued on for almost an hour until some personnel then began handing out files with deployment orders for every one there.

Cotton checked his orders and saw he would be in command of the combat teams at a base titled “The crow’s nest.” Operating near Area 51 with a new team, his base would officially be handling oddities, things that other X-com bases didn’t have time to handle or that needed to be kept contained, as well as regular combat ops and the security of Area 51 due to its obvious strategic value. Cotton also read in an addendum near the bottom of his documents that he would be given a promotion and be the commander in charge of the base and several other details and duties granted to him 'for exemplary success in the field against the alien menace.'. Cotton just hoped that he was up to the task.



Meanwhile in the European particle collider

The European Branch of X-com was currently attempting to discover the secrets of the mysterious crystal like structures that seemed to power the alien’s ships and weapons. The scientists at the particle collider were currently working to discover the elemental composition of the alien crystal by running it through a small series of tests to determine atomic values and other such data.

“This better yield results Doctor,” the gruff tone of general Franz Heinrich Schmidt, acting leader of the European X-com branch, said to the chief scientist at the facility.

“This is a big risk we are taking doing these experiments in a civilian facility.” Though in truth the General had no say in the matter since it would take almost another month for the proper facilities to be finished at his own primary base and they were short on time.

The Japanese had already made some headway in researching the alien alloys and the Australians were working on a way to capture some of them alive. The Americans were also in the process of building a new fighter plane to go toe to toe with the alien ships. Everyone seemed to be working on a way to beat the aliens and Schmidt didn’t want Europe to be left out of the fun.

“Sir with all due respect,” The lead scientist said while running calculations on a calculator before pushing buttons on the collider’s control panel, “It’s not as if I can wave a magic wand and get results, this takes time and we may not even get any results out of it.”

Schmidt grunted and turned when someone whispered “Oh you’ll get your results, don’t worry.” He then turned back and continued to speak to the Head scientist as the tests began and they began bombarding the crystal shard with highly sped-up and energized electrons. The readings it gave where like almost nothing the scientists had seen before, the closest thing they could compare it to would be uranium.

Soon the crystal began glowing brightly and producing immense amounts of heat and warnings were appearing on every screen.

“Shut it down!” shouted Schmidt to the scientists.

“I’m trying but it’s not responding, none of the fail safes are working.”

Schmidt then ordered everyone out and had to carry out a shivering scientist in the fetal position who kept screaming about how they were all going to die.

Just as the final soldiers and civilians made it out of the facility there was a bright flash and a fire around the entire trail of the Collider as Discord began chuckling and whispered to himself, “See? You got results.”




-And at that same time in Canterlot, Equestria.

The Great and Powerful Trixie sat on her carriage as a blonde cross eyed Pegasus pony pulled her up the path to Canterlot while she dangled a muffin on a string at the end of her face, just close enough to keep the mail mare chasing the muffin.

Trixie could not explain what had drawn her to Canterlot, since many of the foolish ponies here believed her to be some type of fraud, a lie of course because her magic was real. Well... real enough. And no matter what,Trixie was sure that this would be quite an adventure. She could surely use it and hopefully a pay day because ever since that purple book mare back in Ponyville revealed her difficulty with magic Trixie had found it far harder to make 'bits' to provide for herself and her show, which is why she resorted to using a muffin to get to canterlot cheaply and quickly.

“Come now don’t you want the muffin, Ditzy? Get the muffin; yes get the great and powerful muffin!” Trixie said, taunting Derpy hooves to fly faster after the muffin in front of her.

Derpy meanwhile was having a fun time chasing the muffin and wondered why the unicorn dressed like a wizard kept talking about how great she was when Derpy obviously wasn’t listening. But she liked to be nice so Derpy just focused on the muffin and was glad she'd let Dinky go on a field trip with the doctor to another planet.

Not to think that Derpy was a bad or neglectful mother, on the contrary, Derpy demanded to chaperone her daughter every time her class went on a field trip. But she loved and trusted the doctor enough to know that he would keep her safe and sound, especially since he said he was taking her to the planet of the greatest bounce castles in the whole universe.

But as she pulled the carriage for a split second one of Derpy’s tilted eyes caught a glimpse of a figure up in the clouds but when she turned to look she saw nothing, and Trixie coaxed her to chase after the muffin again.

Private Sneaky Breeze of the Pegasus Corps. Stealth fliers flew from cloud to cloud above the suspicious carriage without so much as a whisper. The stealth fliers had been a new idea created by Princess Luna to act as spies only without actually infiltrating enemy ranks. More accurately, a stealth flier Pegasus was a living spy balloon but they had other uses besides counting enemy supply lines and numbers. They worked well as security, which is what Sneaky Breeze was up to.

The pure white dyed fur of the Royal Canterlot Guard allowed Breeze to easily hide on or among the clouds, especially as his armor was the color of steel and not gold like regular Guards. Breeze slowly trailed behind the carriage as he watched it to make sure there was no chance of it being changelings or diamond dogs trying to sneak into the castle.

“Come on, I am not an idiot. You must be up to something,” Breeze whispered to himself as he flew over a traveling cloud and used it to travel unseen directly above the carriage and tried to figure out what this strange unicorn was up to.

He had been ordered to tail the carriage since no magicians had been scheduled to come into Canterlot recently and a unicorn using a muffin to make a Pegasus pull a carriage when there were perfectly good earth ponies to do it screamed of wrong doing. And all guards ponies hated criminal scum who tried to break the law in their town.

Trixie soon pulled up into Canterlot proper and began traveling towards the castle. Feeling uneasy, Sneaky Breeze pulled out a small yellow flag from underneath his helmet and began to wave it in well practiced patterns to signal to a squad of unicorn watchers with telescopes inside the castle towers to send a message to the Gate guards to not allow entry to his target.

Sneaky Breeze slipped the flag back into his helmet and stretched his wings before flying to the Castle’s front gates and joining up with the guards there. They were joined by a muscular dark grey colored earth pony, his mentor, Sergeant Rock Fist. The pony was a veteran of several raids into illegal diamond dog slavery rings, and former basic training officer. Rock fist still bore many scars from his battles, one being a large set of claw marks over his left flank cutie mark, which consisted of a hoof holding a rock. Sneaky breeze’s mark was just of wind, nothing sneakier than the very air itself.

As Trixie pulled up she cleared her throat and declared out loud, “Clear the way, knaves, for the great and powerful Trixie! I have come to entertain the masses and bring life to the poor boring lives of the rich and successful.”

The sergeant spoke first in a loud voice that could only come from years of breaking pony spirits and remaking them into fine tuned tools for combat.

“Ma’am, I’m afraid you need to leave and come back with an invitation!” This astounded Trixie to the point she hopped off her carriage of tricks and got right in the Sergeants face.

“You dare deny the great and po-” The sarge suddenly shouted over her in a voice that made all the other guards except for Breeze move away.

“Listen here you, spoiled brat. I don’t care how much you whine and boast but my word is law and I say you ain't getting in!”

Trixie, not one to be defeated easily, got in Rock Fist’s face and a shouting match soon began as Derpy walked over chewing her muffin and wondering why they were fighting. After several minutes of arguing Sneaky Breeze soon butted his head into the argument to separate the two but did so just as Trixie was coming in to go bursting into a rant the two ended up smashing their heads together, causing Breeze to be disorientated while Trixie had a bump on her head next to her horn.

“Oh dear sweet Celestia. Ma’am, I'm so so sorry. I swear I didn’t mean to-“ Before he could finish Sneaky Breeze was pounced on by an enraged Trixie who began punching his face with her hooves savagely, leaving nasty welts and bruises, causing him to remember why he chose to be a stealth flier rather than a fighter.

“YOU DARE HIT ME!?” she shouted while the other guards quickly jumped into the fray to save their fallen brother as a brawl soon broke out. With all the fighters accidentally pulling Derpy into the brawl and rolling all the way back to Trixie’s carriage of magic potions and knick knacks, knocking it over.

Discord watched with joy at how he barely had to do anything to cause all off this and used his powers to open all off Trixie’s potion stock, which rained down onto the dirt ground on Trixie, Rock fist, Derpy and Sneaky Breeze. At that moment a unicorn guard attempted to capture Trixie in a magic bubble while Trixie used her magic to stop it, and discord used his magic to mix their energies and the potions on the ground to create a portal.

A large swirling black vortex soon opened up and sucked Trixie and Derpy in together at oncewhile the guards soon scattered for safety. Save for Rock Fist who was digging his hooves into the ground as he tried to hold onto Breeze with his upper hooves, who was flapping his wings as hard as he could with half his body already inside the vortex.

“Sarge, please I don’t want to die!” He yelled with tears in his eyes as the sergeant began pulling him out of the vortex slowly but surely.

“Just hold on, boy. I promised your mom and pops that I'd care for you and I don’t break my promises!” But Breeze slipped from his grasp and fell into the dark vortex, shouting at the top of his lungs for his favorite sergeant.

Rock Fist adjusted his helmet and frowned before jumping in head first after his best friends’ son “I'm coming for ya, boy!”

As soon as the four selected ponies were in the portal it closed, leaving all who had seen the event confused out of their minds and two very angry monarchs to wonder what caused it all... and one happy Draconeques wishing he had a youtube to post the clip on .

Meanwhile the four ponies shouted and felt themselves spun and thrown around wildly as they shifted from one universe to another. Finally they ended up tossed out somewhere outside of Washington, DC, on the roof of an office building, which was currently under attack.

But the disorientated ponies were so out of it they didn’t notice as several armored figures soon began to rush up to the roof to get a better vantage point on their enemies, and found four cartoonish,technicolor horses lying in a pile.