• Published 9th Aug 2023
  • 354 Views, 23 Comments

An Aeternian's Conviction - The Real Darkness



With a relationship established, a student missing, another Aeternian discovered, and an unknown threat with power enough to kill Arctus; the Scout finds love in all of it difficult to nurture.

  • ...
0
 23
 354

The Glacé Sky

The four of them took the mountain footpath again to get back to Equestria, Silver Spike was sending waves of violent magic out from his shortsword, small, but he was studying as if to master his new weapon.

"I doubt he would hear it, but you should pray and thank Bakta for the great gift he's given your weapon."

"I will tonight, when the stars are out, Master Arctus."

"So, I'm not the only pony who's interested in Aeternian culture," Celestia chimed.

"I...I can't believe that I helped make that," Plated shell had finally spoken during their trip after they theorized how the shortsword was performing Aeternian magic with Equestrian resources.

"The colors are reminiscent of Bakta, so he had a hand in this, but it seems he's allowing it to use a very strong version of our sever wind spell," Arctus commented.

"Sever wind spell? Don't you mean severe?"

"No, sever. It's an advanced Aeternian spell. It's one I decided to learn as a means of silently dispatching a group. I...overdid it an attempted something a mage does when I was in the Dragon Lands, couldn't cast many spells after that for a while," Arctus turned to Celestia, "thank you...for blessing my arrows. It's a large reason why I returned from that assignment."

The Sun raised smiled proudly, "I'll bless them anytime you ask...even if you don't. They flew well?"

"Struck down dragons from kilometers away," she stayed a smiley alicorn at his response.

"What is the sever wind spell, Master Arctus?" Silver Spike posed his next question.

He paused, the Master Scout thinking on how he should answer, "you've felt the slash of a blade. It is similar, but there is no continous force. The wind lashes your body but jsut once and it can still cut deep, even sever limbs as its name tells. I don't need to tell you this, but be careful using that ability in your weapon."

Silver Spike nodded, "of course."

"I'll make a sheath for it once I'm back at my workshop," Plated Shell spoke as they came to Canterlot proper, exiting the footpath.

"You're payment will be sent down, just send a bill to the castle like normal, Plated Shell," Celestia affirmed the unspoken assumption.

The young smith nodded and trotted himself down a different street.

"Scout Silver Spike, I know you've been enjoying your time at home, but the moment you recieve your sheath, you are to switch posts with trainee Strong Stitch. Inform myself, Twilight Sparkle, Arctus, or Shining Armor of your departure," Celestia gave out an order.

"Understood, Princess. I will carry out," Silver affirmed.

They stepped onto the main street of Canterlot soon enough, heading to the castle.

"Scout Silver Spike, if you may, please allow us some private time," Arctus spoke and the underling nodded before trotting off down a different street, intent to make the most of his limited time off.

Celestia giggled at his voiced request, "didn't think you'd ever do that. I couldn't appear rude so I didn't want to send him on his way myself."

"I...we can have time in the castle, but I had some questions to ask that have bothered my mind on some nights spent away."

"Then do ask so I can ease you, Art."

"Twilight Sparkle, your student, is she...at risk? I haven't met or spoken much with her."

Celestia's eyes reflected pain at the subtle topic of his words, "no, she's not going to run. I have a lot of confidence in her and I'll be sending her away soon so she can grow outside the confines of the castle."

"If she needs a guide or protection while she travels Equ-."

"Arctus, my always concerned companion, she will be fine, although there might be times I ask that you accompany her, it will be from the shadows."

He smiled for a short bit, "I can accomodate that well," and the curves of his lips faded, "what of Sunset Shimmer? Have you heard anything about her anticipated return?"

The tall alicorn sighed, "no, I monitor the mirror, but I'm beginning to think she doesn't intend on returning."

Arctus was formulating his own ideas, "then assign the guard elsewhere, we'll need many eyes to look for Master Scout Hazth."

"That would probably be the wisest action," Celestia agreed with him, "I still worry about her."

"I know you do...if I'm able, I'll try to bring her back. Hazth wouldn't know I've left Equestria if I use the mirror."

"That sounds like a very dangerous gamble. As much as I treat you like a precious life, you're Equestria's greatest asset."

Arctus smirked wide, even through everything that had changed and calmed his violent desires down, a Scout's need for external validation was always there.

"But don't go getting a big ego."

"You've known me for quite some time and know I have one. Don't expect it to leave anytime soon."

"At this point, it's part of your charm, Art," Celestia laughed cheerily, having taken to trot close to his side.

The two of them could clearly see journalists and photographers about, writing and snapping pictures of them, it was the standard in Canterlot. It was almost treated as a scandal when Princess Celestia announced to the newspapers that Arctus was officially courting her and there had been countless mentions and even a small column dedicated to news of a ceremony ever since.

Though the two of them were torn on what kind of ceremony they would ever settle upon. An Equestrian one was too formal for Arctus who was always looking forward to a break from rigidity. And an Aeternian ceremony was too wild for Celestia who believed keeping order was paramount in all endeavors.

Regardless, the two of them were getting precious time to nurture their love for each other, regardless of the differences between them.

"Glad to see you still like me and I haven't become an annoyance."

"Don't say that, I could neve-. Mmm, your sarcasm hasn't been about for a long while in Canterlot and nopony else is brave enough to use it about me."

"That's one of the reason you enjoy having me at home so much," Arctus laughed, laying his hand on her back as they came to the castle gates.

"You've always treated me like an equal, not a better. You'll always be a breath of fresh air," she hummed at peace.

"Flirting so openly about the camera's again. They always make headlines even now."

"Though they critique your actions, don't ever think they aren't grateful for all that you do," Celestia assured him.

Arctus went quiet for a moment before broaching a topic, "if...if I did got back to Aeternia, would you still welcome me here?"

"Art, what's caused such a question?"

"I do not know what awaits me in the stars and if they will force me back to Aeternia."

"So, you truly do plan to get my sister's help in this endeavor," Celestia exhaled a held breath, "I will always welcome you back here. However, wouldn't you want to go back home?"

"This is my home, I lived in Aeternia, but there was never a feeling that I was purposed. Equestria is my home."

"So you...would only want to visit Aeternia?" Arctus nodded to her question, "that brings me comfort. Things would be, no I would be very amiss were you to disappear forever."

"I'll make sure to be within teleporting distance then."

"Art, there has been a development with the Glacégere's egg in your room," the two of them had already made it into the residential tower and skybridges of the castle.

"What...kind of development?" Arctus turned his heels and started to head to his own room, Celestia following him.

"I don't want to ruin the surprise."

They arrived and Twilight was standing at the door, her horn lit.

"Oh, Twilight's here? You're here for the egg, aren't you?" Arctus addressed her.

"Huh? What? Oh. Yes, I'm taking some notes, but I swear I didn't go in your room!" Twilight urged an oddly wordded apology.

"That's fine, I'm just particular about my gear. Let's see what's happened," Arctus' hand touched the metal door handle before retreating away.

Celestia giggled, "too cold for you?"

"Shame that my coat is on the other side," Arctus called a flame to his left hand, holding it to the door handle for a while before grabbing it comfortably and struggling to push it open.

"Is it stuck?" Twilight voiced.

"There's something blocking my door...Celly, what's happened in my room?"

"Oooooh, maybe you're not as strong as you thought."

Arctus released the handle and took a step back, "fine then."

He bent his knees and lunged forward while lifting his leg to kick at his door.

Nothing.

He attempted again and the door swung open with a loud shatter.

"Whoooooa," Twilight entered his room first followed by the Master Scout and the Princess.

"Well...shit," Arctus stared around at his entirely frozen over room, "guess the egg wanted to redecorate," he stepped carefully, picking his spear off his back and using it to carefully navigate to the far side of the room and around his bed, kneeling next to the sparkling blue egg that still sat in the cushy bed designed just for it.

Arctus gently shifted his weight, running his hand over the egg and feeling warmth, or something warmer than the rest of his room.

A short moment later, the entire layer of ice around the room receded rapidly toward the egg which began to shift and shuffle, "Celly, Twilight, please retreat away," Arctus warned and the two ponies present slowly trotted backward toward the door.

The shell of the egg froze over before it rapidly crumbled and a medium size bird, no bigger than a pony's torso dashed about, flying, and screeching a high pitched call about the room. Arctus could feel something in his spear shift, something akin to when he slew the Glacégere in a volcano.

The feeling shifted more to resonate with himself, the Master Scout let the feathery blue bird screech longer, a wind chill circling about the room while icicles started to hang down from the ceiling. Arctus snapped to attention and sprinted to the balcony doors, throwing them wide open.

The ice entity did not hesitate to zip out of the balcony doors and into the sky, hail following the tail feathers of it.

Weather ponies would forever be confounded at this event.

"Arctus?" Celestia trotted over with Twilight following here, "you know how I keep a phoenix...that is quite the opposite of one. I don't believe you'll tame it easily."

"Tame? I don't wish to tame such a creature. You of all have taught me to learn about something before I draw a conclusion to eliminate it, so I'll take that philosophy a step further and befriend it," he continued to watch the bird fly about.

"That's odd," Twilight spoke up, "most wild animals and creatures flee from ponies, but it hasn't left our sight yet."

"That's an astute observation, Twilight," Celestia praised her student.

"Come!" Arctus' voice boomed and the bird changed course, flying closer before perching on his balcony rail.

"And it listens," Twilight whispered excitedly, her hooves lightly tapping the stone floor.

"Well, it's taken a liking to you with some kind of bond. Maybe the Glacégere changed more than just your spear," Celestia observed.

"It's a fascinating little thing."

"I wouldn't call it little, Master Arctus," Twilight commented.

"Asarele."

"You're naming it?" Twilight looked to him and back at the bird.

"It's one of the words for a spell to call rain where I come from, heard the mages use it many times atop a farm. It's the only fitting name I could think of."

"I wonder if Philomena will be jealous," the alicorn paused, "though she keeps to the castle gardens, I imagine Asarele will likely be up here with you, seems like a parental bond of some sort," Celestia commented.

The entire time the icy being had not taken its eyes off Arctus.

"And it seems adamant on your attention," Celestia laughed, stamping a hoof lightly on the stone floor.

The Master Scout stretched his hand out and the bird reached forward, opening its beak and lightly biting a finger of his, a dry, frigid appendage probed before it let go of his finger, its eyes focusing on Arctus' own.

He stepped closer, slowly, carefully and the frozen fowl didn't move, still staring at him, he reached his hand out to its feet and the bird planted sharp talons onto the leather palm, holding to his body as he lifted it up.

"So, Celly, I think we're not going to have any private time unless this one is present," Arctus finally spoke again.

Twilight had numerous pages of notes by this time and Celestia just smiled warmly at the gentle exchange between creatures, "that's fine, I don't think Asarele is the type of some...bird to divulge secrets," Arctus' new companion looked to Celestia when she spoke, "but it might recognize its name already."

"Fly," Arctus gently moved his hand that the Asarele stood on toward the open air in front of the balcony and it took off flying, "no ice," and only small snowflakes fell as it flew about, gliding stationary in the great winds at the towers of the castle.

"Twilight, you're welcome to study Asarele any time, but remember not to enter my room without permission," he looked to the young mare on his left.

"Right! Iiiii'm going to go ahead and see if I can scoop up some of the hail it left," Twilight trotted quickly out of the room.

"Celly, she's very different from Sunset."

"She's full of so much life and potential, not that Sunset wasn't, but..."

"Don't look so downtrodden, she was different and ambitious. Those with ambition are hard to influence once they've set themselves a goal. You've seen it with me, she's just chosen a route to power and reasons to use it that aren't desirable. She could still come around, though," Arctus laid an arm around the snowy coated alicorn's neck, pulling her to him while he watched Asarele glide.

"It's always intersting with you around, at least," she leaned onto him, "hey...when my sister is back and settled, do you want to have ourselves a ceremony?" She smiled herself away.

"Ceremony?" Arctus questioned, "you mean a joining?"

Celestia laughed behind her closed lips, "so that's what they call it Aeternia? I've just noticed you don't have eyes for any other pony and found myself wondering why we aren't."

"I've thought about it, but I've also thought finding a middle ground between our cultures might be a tedious task."

"And one we can face together."

"So, if we get joi-. Celly," Arctus' voice changed to a much more serious tone, "did...is...is that Aeternian citizen still kept under lock and key in one of the castle's suites?"

Celestia looked to him with widened eyes.

"Sorry to ruin our mome-."

"Ponyfeathers! How could we-."

"Must have been there stewing thi-."

"I'm such a poor host, what will-."

"We need to just go down to that room!"

Celestia stopped her self-berating rant along with Arctus' own rambling of his failing. She nodded to him and trotted quickly to the door of the room.

"Asarele!" The icy bird flew back into the castle, following behind both of them before carefully perching itself on the metal ring of Arctus' cape.