• Published 11th Jul 2023
  • 399 Views, 11 Comments

Thus Testifies Twilight - Accurate Balance



When nothing outlives everything, how does a mare testify to her existence?

  • ...
1
 11
 399

Appendix

Then, she spread her wings, caught the faint but very much real wind in between her feathers, and leapt.

For a moment in her falling, Twilight Sparkle questioned whether she'd fly or drop, but all doubt was blown away by the roaring in her ears, herself soaring in the air.

Where was she going? She wasn't sure. With how little time she had after her inner crisis, she wasn't going to make it anywhere before her life story ends.

It must have been how Rainbow had felt flying her last show, Twilight reasoned.

For the first time ever in her lie of a life, Twilight felt real. Fears and regrets turned to an impulse, a longing for being somewhere—even nowhere—other than inside her head. Since nothing she did was going to have any impact on how the world would end, she could finally stop listening to herself, or whoever the voice dictating every action she took was.

For now, she just wanted to fly towards where her friends were. It was silly, idiotic, ridiculous, and preposterous, she knew, but if the pony inside her head was telling her not to go to her friends, that pony could NOT be her.

Maybe in another life, she would remain collected till the last moment like a golem made of metal, but not in this one. She laughed hysterically at how good a day it was for flying, how she would love to fly by Rainbow or Fluttershy or Cadance or Luna or Celestia, and how she had wasted thousands of days like this.

And then she learnt how air interacts with tears in flight. The greatest discovery of an aeon, and another fuel to her laughter! Letting go of all the masks ponies had put on her face, Twilight giggled and bawled in her empty world.

The last time she laughed like this, Pinkie and Applejack had still been visiting her, and she couldn't remember when that was, but it's fine! She was being honest with herself when she laughed, and they would've approved!

Normally, she would've made a few comments about loyalty, kindness, and generosity as well, but then again, she wouldn't have been flying like this, so all was possible now. She'd already broken her usage of big words, why not the symmetry of harmony?

How much time had passed? Twilight didn't care to count the seconds. Her story was never about the world ending, nor what she was meant to be; it was all about herself, about what she wanted, and how it made her more pony than ever. If her life and friendship really had been a story, it must have turned into a mess by now, but it was fine as long as she was flying somewhere.

She had been trying to make her life a perfect story and that failed, so now she took on a pointless pursuit instead. Twilight pulled herself even higher and held up her head. Her story was ending and she broke

Author's Note:

free.

Comments ( 9 )

What caught me off guard most when reading this was how many of those words I actually recognized. I think I only needed to look up what five of the words. but yeah this is definitely a good one keep a dictionary on hand when reading.

11636058
I'm sorry it wasn't good enough. Thank you for the comment.

11653137
Not good enough what foolishness is this. This story was amazing.

11653139
Wait, you think it is? Thank you again. (Sorry, I've been having some issues recently.)

For now, she just wanted to fly towards where her friends were. It was silly, idiotic, ridiculous, and preposterous, she knew, but if the pony inside her head was telling her not to go to her friends, that pony could NOT be her.

so true, and augh. upon realizing that we are characters in a finite story approaching its end, what else can we do but go to those we love?

Normally, she would've made a few comments about loyalty, kindness, and generosity as well, but then again, she wouldn't have been flying like this, so all was possible now. She'd already broken her usage of big words, why not the symmetry of harmony?

and augh, this is how you do meta! and by breaking with that structure there is a break with the artificiality that the constraints of thematic writing can bring, of turning from the symmetry of narrative to the messiness of living, oh that is wonderful

free.

augh, my heart! what an ending.

 in a way, this story almost feels like an answer to the other Twilight-realizing-she-is-fictional story in this contest, and in a postmodern way, i am choosing to read them as such. this was a beautiful experience, and i absolutely loved it. thank you so much for writing!

Mordin Solus meets Joey Tribbiani. I can appreciate the artistic intentions in the contrast between the two halves (and one cheeky little extra) but that first part is still a nearly agrammatical nightmare of a slog. One that introduces and abandons potential story threads in turn until Twilight settles on what the story is actually about halfway through the word count. Yes, the point is that this focused on her rather than the end or nature of her world, but it only adds to the feeling of the story spinning its wheels for that whole first chapter.

A noble attempt, but the gimmick got in the way of the story for me at least as much as it helped. Still, it worked for the others, and that's why we have a panel of multiple judges. Thank you for the entry and congrats on the honorable mention.

Absolute garbage. Couldn't even bother finishing the second paragraph. It's not even gimmicky; the words aren't so obscure as you have thought, you know?

Hello! I read all the stories in this contest that won recognition, so here's a review. I had mixed feelings about this. I found the idea quite interesting, and it's the Experimental category after all. I just feel (as FOME did) that in the first chapter at least the balance between gimmick and story was maybe tilted a little too far in favour of the former. The second chapter appealed more, being more of a story.

Login or register to comment