• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 5,769 Views, 88 Comments

Yu-Gi-Oh! Equus X Zexal - moviemaster8510



A crossover of the anime Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal and my fanfic Yu-Gi-Oh! Equus.

  • ...
25
 88
 5,769

Chapter 18: Hope

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Canterlot, Equestria, Noon

_________________________________________________________________________________________

A storm began forming throughout the skies of Equestria. Its unnatural appearance was the cause of great alarm in the city streets, many ponies heading for shelter inside various buildings. Inside the Canterlot palace, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna observed the storm through the windows of the main hall.

“What is this storm, sister?” asked Luna. “I don't believe the weather patrol were scheduled for today.”

“They weren't,” replied Celestia, her voice calm, but having a hint of anxiousness. “However, I think that something even worse is brewing up north. All we can do now is hope for the best.”

Celestia and Luna continued to watch the skies as lightning began to crack throughout the air.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Crystal Empire, Equestria

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Alex and Yuma vs. King Sombra

Alex's Turn: Alex summons Dragunity Darkspear (ATK: 1000 DEF: 1000).

Alex places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-4 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

“Yuma,” called Alex to his partner, “you think you can make something with that?”

“Hehe,” giggled Yuma in anticipation, “that's great, Alex. With your help, our victory is is guaranteed!”

***************************************************
Yuma's Turn: Yuma summons Goblindbergh (ATK: 1400 DEF: 0). When Goblindbergh is normal summoned, Yuma can special summon a level 4 or lower monster from his hand, choosing Zubaba Knight (ATK: 1600 DEF: 900). When Yuma normal summons a level 4 monster, he can special summon Kagetokage from his hand (ATK: 1100 DEF: 1500). Yuma overlays Goblindbergh and Kagetokage to xyz summon Number 39: Utopia (ATK: 2500 DEF: 2000).

================================================================================

The ponies outside the palace looked upon Yuma's ace monster with awe. Its brave and strong appearance did wonders for the crowd's morale, having them cheer Yuma and his monsters to victory. Cadance, using what little strength she had, looked up to see Utopia standing before Sombra.

“Yuma,” she whispered with a faint smile, “go bring it to him...”

However, there was still more to come from him.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Now,” declared Yuma, “I overlay my level three Zubaba Knight and Alex's Dragunity Darkspear!”

The two monsters became wisps of orange and green auras, respectively, spiraling up in the air before flying towards a galaxy portal forming in the center.

“With these two monsters, I construct the overlay network! Xyz summon!”

Once the auras flew inside, the portal exploded. From it rose a coiled, purple orb with six scythe-like projections coming from the top, along with a glowing purple eye in the center. The coil began to unwind and take the form of a serpent-like dragon with six blue-winged arms.

“Come out, Number 17: Leviathan Dragon!” shouted Yuma.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Whoa!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash. “He not only has one, but two Numbers?”

“That's so cool!” chirped Pinkie Pie, hopping up and down in excitement.

“Go, Yuma!” shouted Shining Armor, prompting more cheering from the crowd.

================================================================================

Yuma overlays Zubaba Knight with Alex's Dragunity Darkspear to xyz summon Number 17: Leviathan Dragon (ATK: 2000 DEF: 0).

================================================================================

“Yuma,” advised Astral, “Alex might need his monster again. Be sure to detach it when you activate Leviathan Dragon's effect.

“Got it,” said Yuma.

================================================================================

Yuma activates the effect of Number 17: Leviathan Dragon. By detaching one xyz material from it, its ATK increases by 500 (ATK: 2000 -> 2500).

Yuma ends his turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0
***************************************************

King Sombra could barely contain his excitement. This boy not only had one powerful monster, but two, perhaps even more.

“So...” moaned King Sombra. “So much power. I want it! I'll have it!”

***************************************************
King Sombra's Turn: King Sombra special summons Dark Crystal – Terrorrior from his hand by discarding a Dark Crystal monster from his hand (ATK: 1700 DEF: 1600). Next he activates Dark Crystal Revival, special summoning a Dark Crystal monster from his graveyard, choosing Dark Crystal – Valkyrie of Demise (ATK: 2000 DEF: 1900). When Dark Crystal – Valkyrie of Demise is special summoned from the graveyard, its level is decreased by 1 (Lvl.: 5 -> 4). King Sombra then normal summons Dark Crystal – Fires of Tartarus (ATK: 2000 DEF: 0).

King Sombra overlays Dark Crystal – Terrorrior, Dark Crystal – Valkyrie of Demise, and Dark Crystal – Fires of Tartarus to xyz summon Dark Crystal – Ice Horror in defense position (ATK: 0 DEF: 3000). King Sombra activates Dark Crystal – Ice Horror's effect. By detaching one xyz material from it, it can declare an attack while in defense position, using its DEF as its ATK.

King Sombra attacks Number 39: Utopia with Dark Crystal – Ice Horror. Because Numbers can only be destroyed in battle with other Numbers, Number 39: Utopia isn't destroyed. Battle damage is applied normally. When Dark Crystal – Ice Horror attacks while in defense position, all battle damage inflicted is halved.

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 8000 -> 7750

================================================================================

Yuma was hurt from the attack, but it only managed to knock him to his rump.

“Yuma!” called Alex. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” exclaimed Yuma, pushing off the ground with his hands and landing on his feet. “Nothing I can't handle.”

“So this is the power of the Numbers,” observed Sombra aloud before giving a hungry smirk.

================================================================================

King Sombra places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

“Let's see how you handle my ace,” said Alex.

***************************************************
Alex's Turn: Alex summons another Dragunity Darkspear. Alex then activates Final Gesture, special summoning a monster with the same name as a level 3 monster he controls from his graveyard, choosing Dragunity Darkspear. Alex then activates Tannhäuser Gate , targeting two monsters he controls with 1000 or less ATK and have the same type and making their levels the sum of their levels (3 + 3 = 6) (Lvl.: 3 -> 6) (Lvl.: 3 -> 6). Alex overlays both Dragunity Darkspears to xyz summon Jade Wyvern (ATK: 2500 DEF: 2100).

================================================================================

“Aw, yeah!” shouted Tom, barely audible with the cheering crowd. “Here we go!”

================================================================================

Alex then activates Stop Defense, switching Dark Crystal – Ice Horror from defense position to attack position. King Sombra then activates Dark Crystal Shield, equipping it to a monster with 0 ATK that he controls, increasing its ATK by 1000 (ATK: 0 -> 1000), and preventing it from being destroyed in battle.

Alex attacks Dark Crystal – Ice Horror with Jade Wyvern. Dark Crystal Shield prevents its destruction by battle. Battle damage is applied normally.

King Sombra's Life Points: 8000 -> 6500

Alex ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-7750 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

“You got nowhere to run now, Sombra!” exclaimed Yuma. “Now we're really going to get serious. Kattobingu-da, ore!”

***************************************************
Yuma's Turn: Yuma sets one monster. Next, he activates Number 17: Leviathan Dragon's effect, detaching its last xyz material to increase its ATK by 500 (ATK: 2500 -> 3000).

Yuma attacks Dark Crystal – Ice Horror with Number 17: Leviathan Dragon. Dark Crystal Shield prevents Dark Crystal – Ice Horror's destruction by battle. Battle damage is applied normally.

King Sombra's Life Points: 6500 -> 4500

Yuma then attacks Dark Crystal – Ice Horror with Number 39: Utopia.

King Sombra's Life Points: 4500 -> 3000

Yuma ends his turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-7750 Monsters-3 Face Down Cards-0
***************************************************

The crowd outside was cheering loudly once again. Sombra had less than half his life points left while Alex and Yuma had plenty to spare. It felt like the duel was all but decided.

“They're gonna win!” shouted Rainbow Dash. “They're gonna win!”

“Go, Yuma!” shouted Nistro.

“Yuma,” whispered Shark.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

King Sombra, for as powerful as he was, had trouble getting up from the sheer brutality of the beatdown that he endured. Twilight, even in her imprisonment, clopped her hooves together in glee over how well the duel was working for her friends.

“It's over, Sombra,” shouted Alex. “You have nothing against the power of our bonds with this place.”

“Let's just see you try and come back from that now!” taunted Yuma.

King Sombra, back on his hooves, chuckled, confusing Alex, Yuma, and Astral.

“You have no idea what's coming, do you?” he asked. “The card that Ahuizotl had used that nearly wiped out your friends was only a fraction of the raw magic that I have stored in me. As of now, you can dispel any hopes of winning this duel, because the monster I'm bringing out will end you and any attempts to try and stop me!”

***************************************************
King Sombra's Turn: King Sombra switches Dark Crystal – Ice Horror into defense position. King Sombra activates Dark Crystal – Ice Horror's effect, detaching one xyz material from it to be able to attack while in defense position. King Sombra then special summons Dark Crystal – Necro Burner from his hand by banishing two Dark Crystal monsters in his graveyard (ATK: 2000 DEF: 1000). King Sombra then normal summons Dark Crystal – Skull Archer (ATK: 1500 DEF: 1900). King Sombra overlays Dark Crystal – Necro Burner and Dark Crystal – Skull Archer to xyz summon Dark Crystal – Knightmare of Greed (ATK: 2000 DEF: 1500).

King Sombra activates Dark Crystal – Knightmare of Greed's effect. By detaching one xyz material from it, King Sombra can draw a card for every xyz monster on the field (5). When Dark Crystal – Skull Archer is detached from an xyz monster, King Sombra can equip it to the monster that it was attached to.

King Sombra attacks Jade Wyvern with Dark Crystal – Knightmare of Greed. With Dark Crystal – Skull Archer's effect, when it's equipped to a monster, it gains 1000 ATK during the battle phase (ATK: 2000 -> 3000). Alex activates Jade Wyvern's effect. By detaching one xyz material from it, Alex can have one monster on the field not be destroyed in battle this turn, choosing Jade Wyvern. Battle damage is still applied.

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 7750 -> 7250

King Sombra attacks Jade Wyvern with Dark Crystal – Ice Horror. With Dark Crystal – Ice Horror's effect, the battle damage is halved.

Yuma and Alex's Life Points: 7250 -> 7000

================================================================================

“Whew,” exhaled Alex. “That was close.”

King Sombra chuckled again.

“You still don't understand, do you? Poor human. I'll just make it easier for you.”

King Sombra unveiled a card from his hand and held it high into the air.

“I activate the quick-play spell Dark Crystal Ritual!”

Four purple, wispy ropes came from the card's artwork and chained both Ice Horror and Knightmare of Greed by their arms.

“What is this?” asked Alex, shocked and confused.

“When this card is activated,” explained King Sombra, “I can double the ranks of two DARK xyz monsters with the same rank that I control and use them in an xyz summon!”

“What?” gasped Astral. “Overlaying two xyz monsters, you say?”

Two virtual boxes appeared on the sides of King Sombra's monsters, showing their ranks as they doubled from 4 to 8. The ropes then pulled the monsters into King Sombra's card before the card divided into two purple orbs that began to swirl around his hoof.

================================================================================

King Sombra activates the quick-play spell card Dark Crystal Ritual from his hand, doubling the ranks of two DARK xyz monsters that he controls with the same rank (Rnk.: 4 -> 8) (Rnk.: 4 -> 8) and xyz summoning an xyz monster using those monsters.

================================================================================

“Now,” declared King Sombra, “I overlay my rank 8 Dark Crystal – Ice Horror and Dark Crystal – Knightmare of Greed!”

King Sombra chucked the two orbs at the barrier Twilight was kept in. As they assimilated into the wall, it began to glow brightly before the wall vanished along with Twilight.

“Twilight!” shouted Alex. “What have you done with her, Sombra?”

“With these monsters I construct the overlay network. Xyz Summon!”

With the declaration of his summoning, a purple orb began to form in the center.

“The very embodiment of my power,” chanted King Sombra, “reclaim my place as the master and ruler of crystals!”

From the orb, crystals began to grow and stem from the orb, taking the form a a large, skeletal dragon with jagged wings.

“Appear!” concluded King Sombra. “Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

With a final roar upon its completion, King Sombra's ace had finally arrived, causing panic and despair amongst the ponies outside.

================================================================================

King Sombra overlays Dark Crystal – Ice Horror and Dark Crystal – Knightmare of Greed to xyz summon Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon (ATK: 0 DEF: 0).

When Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon is xyz summoned, all xyz materials are detached from it. Also, as long as the card remains on the field, the ATK and DEF of all monsters becomes 0 (ATK: 2500 -> 0, DEF: 2100 -> 0) (ATK: 2500 -> 0, DEF: 2000 -> 0) (ATK: 3000 -> 0).

================================================================================

A bright shine came from Somber Dragon's chest, weakening all monsters on the field as their ATK counters went from their original ATK to 0.

“Utopia! No!” shouted Yuma as he watched his monster's ATK deplete.

Alex looked inside the skeletal chest of King Sombra's monster. Just visible in the purple glow inside it, was a purple unicorn that Alex knew all too well, seemingly hung inside it from her front hooves.

“Twilight,” muttered Alex. “TWILIGHT!”

Twilight looked up to see Alex, her face exhausted and pained.

“Alex,” she grunted in agony.

“Now,” said King Sombra, “I attack Jade Wyvern with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon!”

“What was that?” asked Astral in confusion.

Somber Dragon's chest began to glow again, Twilight grunting and groaning inside it, the massive dragon draining her energy to attack Alex's monster. Then, a blast of what appeared to be hot, volcanic ash burst from the monster's mouth, covering Jade Wyvern.

“Joke's on you,” shouted Alex. “My monster can't be destroyed by battle because of its effect.”

“Neither can mine,” retorted King Sombra.

“Then it looks like we're at a stalemate.”

“I wouldn't be so sure...”

“What?”

================================================================================

King Sombra attacks Jade Wyvern with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon. With Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect, it cannot be destroyed in battle, so neither Jade Wyvern or Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon are destroyed by battle.

================================================================================

Somber Dragon took a large inhale, sucking up the cloud of ash that it produced into its gaping mouth and sucking in Jade Wyvern with it.

“Jade Wyvern!” shouted Alex. “What is happening to it?”

“When Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon battles a monster,” explained King Sombra, “it destroys the monster automatically at the end of damage calculation. And then, if the monster destroyed was an xyz monster, I inflict damage to my opponent equal to the rank of the destroyed monster times 500 while gaining life points equal to that amount.”

“What?” yelled Alex.

“That's 3000 points of damage!” exclaimed Astral.

“Go, Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon! Take down Alex! Molten Crystal Eruption!”

Somber Dragon blasted a beam of flames from its mouth, aimed right at Alex.

================================================================================

Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect activates. When it battles an opponent's monster, the monster it battles is destroyed after damage calculation, destroying Jade Wyvern. Furthermore, if the destroyed monster was an xyz monster, damage is inflicted to the opponent equal to the rank of the destroyed monster times 500 while King Sombra gains life points equal to the damage inflicted (Rnk.: 6, 6 x 500 = 3000).

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 7000 -> 4000

King Sombra's Life Points: 3000 -> 6000

================================================================================

The hefty damage had blasted Alex into one of the walls at the edge of the room. As Alex's back made contact to the wall, he was showered in a multitude of black sparks that caused Alex to scream in agony. As the shocking stopped, Alex fell to his knees. With the sparks having drained him of his strength, Alex leaned forwards and fell onto his stomach, lying still.

“Alex!” cried Twilight.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The ponies were now terrified by the might of King Sombra's monster.

“Alex!” shouted Tom.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“I'm not done yet!” said King Sombra, pulling another card from his hand. “I activate Crystal Heart!”

Yuma and Astral gasped.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

From the outside, the ponies gasped with horror again as they watched King Sombra use their Crystal Heart against them. Upon being activated, the Crystal Heart appeared in the center of the room before zapping itself into Somber Dragon's chest, making its purple glow turn blue.

================================================================================

King Sombra activates Crystal Heart, attaching it as an xyz material to Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon.

During his end phase, King Sombra must detach an xyz material from Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon or destroy it. With Crystal Heart's effect, if King Sombra would have to detach an xyz material from a monster for its effect, he does not have to once per turn.

King Sombra places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-6000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

Knowing his turn was next, Alex began getting up. Noticing this, Yuma ran to him.

“Oy, Alex!” spoke Yuma. “Are you alright?”

“I've been worse,” groaned Alex.

“Not much longer,” spoke King Sombra. “Your monsters are completely powerless to me. It would be easier to surrender than go on and continue killing yourself.”

“Yeah,” retorted Alex, using more of his strength to finally heave himself to his feet. “Sure it may be easier now, but when I look at the ponies that you enslaved and how miserable you made their lives, I can't see how much easier of a choice giving up now can be. Many of those ponies would rather die than be put in bondage again, and I would certainly rather die than live to see that happen.”

“Alex...” sighed Twilight, her exhaustion trying to render her unconscious.

“Twilight,” spoke Alex. “I'm going to save you, and this kingdom too!”

***************************************************
Alex's Turn: Alex places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-4000 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-2
***************************************************

With that monster's effect, thought Yuma, the Gogogo Golem that I set is useless. However, if I can still inflict damage to Sombra, we can still win this duel.

***************************************************
Yuma's Turn: Yuma flip summons Gogogo Golem (ATK: 1800 DEF: 1500) (ATK: 1800 -> 0, DEF: 1500 -> 0). Yuma then normal summons Gagaga Magician (ATK: 1500 DEF: 1000) (ATK: 1500 -> 0, DEF: 1000 -> 0). Yuma overlays Gagaga Magician and Gogogo Golem to xyz summon Gagaga Cowboy in defense position (ATK: 1500 DEF: 2400) (ATK: 1500 -> 0, DEF: 2400 -> 0).

Yuma activates the effect of Gagaga Cowboy. By detaching one xyz material from it while it's in defense position, Yuma can inflict 800 points of damage to his opponent.

King Sombra's Life Points: 6000 -> 5200

Yuma places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-4000 Monsters-3 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

“Ugh,” grunted King Sombra. “You'll pay dearly for that one, human.”

***************************************************
King Sombra's Turn: King Sombra activates Dark Crystal Fury, allowing a Dark Crystal monster that he controls to attack a number of times up to the number of xyz monsters on the field and graveyard (7).

================================================================================

“Oh no!” shouted Tori. “Yuma!”

“Yuma!” shouted Shining Armor.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Twilight!” shouted Alex, looking at Somber Dragon's glowing chest. “Yuma!” he shouted, looking at his partner.

================================================================================

King Sombra attacks Number 39: Utopia with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon, but Yuma activates Number 39: Utopia's effect. By detaching one xyz material from it, Yuma can negate the attack. King Sombra attacks Number 39: Utopia with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon again, but Yuma activates Number 39: Utopia's effect, detaching its last xyz material to negate the attack.

King Sombra attacks Number 39: Utopia with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon again. Numbers can only be destroyed in battle by other Numbers and Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon cannot be destroyed in battle, so neither monster is destroyed by battle. With Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect, Number 39: Utopia is destroyed at the end of damage calculation.

================================================================================

“Utopia!” yelled Yuma as his monster was sucked into Somber Dragon's mouth.

“Now,” shouted King Sombra, “take 2000 points of damage!”

Somber Dragon blew its fiery breath at Yuma, only for the blast to fork around him.

“What?” questioned King Sombra.

As the fires subsided, an oriental looking warrior with a kabuki styled mask and two short swords in its right hand stood before King Sombra, as well as Yuma's life point counter that indicated that his life points weren't touched by Somber Dragon's effect.

================================================================================

Yuma is about to take damage equal to Number 39: Utopia's rank times 500, but Yuma activates the effect of Achacha Chanbara from his hand. When he would take effect damage, he can special summon it from his hand and negate the damage (ATK: 1400 DEF: 400) (ATK: 1400 -> 0, DEF: 400 -> 0). If it's special summoned that way, 400 points of damage is inflicted to the opponent.

King Sombra's Life Points: 5200 -> 4800

================================================================================

King Sombra scowled, beyond mad now.

================================================================================

King Sombra then attacks Number 17: Leviathan Dragon with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon. Number 17: Leviathan Dragon is destroyed with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect (Rnk.: 3, 3 x 500 = 1500).

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 4000 -> 2500

King Sombra's Life Points: 4800 -> 6300

================================================================================

Yuma and Astral were blasted backwards, just inches from the wall.

================================================================================

King Sombra then attacks Gagaga Cowboy with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon. Gagaga Cowboy is destroyed with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect (Rnk.: 4, 4 x 500 = 2000).

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 2500 -> 500

King Sombra's Life Points: 6300 -> 8300

================================================================================

With the next blast, Yuma and Astral were both sent flying into the wall, their bodies shocked by the magic sparks that came from the wall. Yuma fell to the ground, finding it hard to get up. Astral began to fade, his mortality coming ever so closer.

"It looks like we've survived," grunted Yuma.

"Survived?" queried King Sombra. "How foolish. While my monster inflicts 500 points of damage times the rank of an xyz monster that it destroys, for all leveled monsters, it will inflict 300 points of damage times the level of the monster that it destroys."

"No... no way!"

"Your monster is level three. That's 900 life points you will lose. Hmhmhm. Just enough."

Yuma and Astral began to look terrified. Alex grit his teeth angrily, knowing he couldn't let any more continue.

“Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon,” ordered King Sombra, “attack Achacha Chanbara!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Oh no!” exclaimed Spike. “If this attack hits, they're done for!”

“AAAHH!” shrieked Tori.

================================================================================

King Sombra attacks Achacha Chanbara with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon, but Alex activates his face down Poison of the Old Man, increasing their life points by 1200 before the attack hits.

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 500 -> 1700

Achacha Chanbara and Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon have equal ATKs, but because Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon can't be destroyed in battle, only Achacha Chanbara is destroyed. If the monster destroyed was a leveled monster, damage is inflicted to the opponent equal to the level of the destroyed monster times 300 while King Sombra's life points are raised by the damage inflicted (Lvl.: 3, 3 x 300 = 900).

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 1700 -> 800

King Sombra's Life Points: 8300 -> 9200

================================================================================

Tori, Tom, as well as several other ponies sighed in relief that Alex and Yuma were still alive and fighting.

================================================================================

During the end phase, the monster affected by Dark Crystal Fury is destroyed and the controller takes damage equal to the monster's ATK times the number of times it attacked. Since Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect prevents it from being destroyed by card effects, it's not destroyed. Also, Crystal Heart's effect prevents it from needing to detach an xyz material at the end phase.

King Sombra places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-8300 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2
***************************************************

Alex could see as Yuma struggled to get up from the attacks that he suffered through. Astral himself was no better, looking at his hand with desperation as his body faded in and out. Alex then looked at King Sombra, doing something that surprised even him: he smiled.

“I think I just found a way around your strategy,” spoke Alex.

“Oh?” queried King Sombra. “Let's see it then.”

Alex's grin grew wider.

***************************************************
Alex's Turn: King Sombra activates the continuous trap card Vanishing Hand, forcing his opponent to discard a card from their hand during their standby phase. Alex discards a card through Vanishing Hand's effect.

================================================================================

Alex scowled at King Sombra's tactic, but kept his composure over knowing that it mattered little.

================================================================================

Alex activates Treasure Cards of Adversity, drawing two cards when he controls no monsters and his opponent controls a special summoned monster.

Alex ends his turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-800 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

Yuma finally got himself up, along with Astral.

“Guys,” spoke Alex. “I've got a plan. Don't summon any monsters.”

“Huh?” questioned Yuma. “Then how are we supposed to–”

“I think Alex is right,” spoke Astral, Yuma's confused face provoking an answer. “Somber Dragon's ATK is at 0. If we don't summon any monsters, there is no way he can attack us with it.”

“I see,” spoke Yuma. “Great plan, Alex.”

“I try,” said Alex.

“Let's do this then.”

***************************************************
Yuma's Turn: Yuma must discard one card from his hand for Vanishing Hand's effect.

Yuma ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-800 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

“An admirable strategy,” spoke King Sombra, “but unfortunately for you, I've already planned out my own strategy to be one step ahead of yours.”

***************************************************
King Sombra's Turn: King Sombra equips Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon with Zero Dark Magic. When the equipped monster declares a direct attack, it's ATK increases by 3000 during their battle phase.

King Sombra attacks Yuma and Alex directly with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon (ATK: 0 -> 3000), but Yuma activates Clean Barrier – Clear Force, returning an attacking monster's ATK to its original ATK during the battle phase (ATK: 3000 -> 0). Since Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's ATK is 0, no damage is inflicted.

================================================================================

“RRRGGHH,” growled King Sombra. “Fine! Take this!”

================================================================================

King Sombra activates Dark Crystal Revenge, halving his opponent's life points when he did not inflict any other damage this turn.

Yuma and Alex's Life Points: 800 -> 400

King Sombra does not need to detach an xyz material for Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect because of Crystal Heart's effect.

King Sombra ends his turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-9200 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

This is bad, thought Alex. King Sombra has trapped us now. Not only will he not allow our fields to be empty, but with Vanishing Hand's effect, it won't be long before we can't do anything.

Alex then looked at his face down card that he had since the beginning of the duel.

I see! If I can draw the right card here, I can still stand a chance.

Alex placed his fingers upon his deck.

Deck, don't fail me.

***************************************************
Alex's Turn: Alex discards one card for Vanishing Hand's effect. Alex activates Graceful Charity, drawing three cards and discarding two. Alex summons Dragunity Tribus (ATK: 500 DEF: 300) (ATK: 500 -> 0, DEF: 300 -> 0).

Alex ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-400 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

It many not be much, thought Alex, but if King Sombra can destroy my monster by battle, just like he did with Achacha Chanbara, then I can finally activate this damn trap of mine, and we'll also have just have enough life points to survive to our next turns.

Yuma looked at Alex, his face filled with determination. He knew he couldn't let his friend down.

***************************************************
Yuma's Turn: Yuma discards a card with Vanishing Hand's effect. Yuma places one card face down.

Yuma ends his turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-400 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

The card I set is Attack Invulnerability, thought Yuma. I'm certain that it can stall for Alex to make a good move next turn.

“No!” yelled King Sombra. “I cannot let you get in the way again!”

***************************************************
King Sombra's Turn: King Sombra activates Mystical Space Typhoon, destroying Yuma's face down card.

King Sombra attacks Dragunity Tribus with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon. Both monsters' ATKs are equal, but Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon cannot be destroyed by battle, so only Dragunity Tribus is destroyed. Alex activates Card of Last Will, drawing five cards when a monster that he controls is destroyed by battle.

================================================================================

“What?” shouted King Sombra over Alex's replenished hand. “No!”

“I see,” said Yuma. “Alex wanted his monster to be destroyed so he could draw more cards. So cool, Alex!”

“Hehehe,” laughed Sombra. “You still take damage.”

================================================================================

Alex still takes damage with Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect (Lvl.: 1, 1 x 300 = 300).

Alex and Yuma's Life Points: 400 -> 100

King Sombra's Life Points: 9200 -> 9500

King Sombra does not need to detach an xyz material for Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect because of Crystal Heart's effect.

King Sombra ends his turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-9500 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

With nothing but a sliver of their life points left, Astral continued to fade even more. Alex finally had time to look at his new hand. Upon seeing it, he couldn't contain his shock and horror. In his hand were the cards: Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb, Dragunity Angusticlavii, Double Summon, Hieratic Dragon of Nuit, Level Returner, and Magic Baton.

Nothing in his hand could save him or Yuma from King Sombra's monster. With this cruel hand he was dealt, he felt as the last bit of hope dripped from him. He sunk to his hands and knees, feeling the cold wave of failure wash over him. King Sombra laughed, reading Alex's movements like a book.

“Alex!” shouted Yuma. “Oy, Alex!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

From the outside, the crystal ponies who were riding on Alex and Yuma the whole way began to break down one by one at the sight of Alex's defeat.

“No,” whimpered Tom, “no way...”

Tori herself was in tears, saddened over Alex's failure to save the empire.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Alex then looked up to see Twilight inside the chest of Somber Dragon. She was barely able to even keep her head up. Alex felt the tears bleed from his eyes and roll down his cheeks.

Twilight, he thought, I'm so sorry...

“You see why fighting me was pointless?” asked King Sombra. “My monster is unbeatable, and not even fate can twist itself towards your favor. But you can at least take solace in the fact that you and your friend won't live to be my slaves after my next turn passes.”

Alex then thought back to all that he would be leaving. All his friends, the crystal ponies, the ones whom he promised he'd return home; they would all be slaves toiling to their bones for the rest of their lives. He knew that he couldn't let that happen, no matter the cost. As long as he still had his next turn, he wouldn't let it happen. Even in his moment of defeat, there still remained the glimmer of hope for his next draw. With this slight, but possible outcome in view, he rose back to his feet.

“Hehehe,” chuckled Sombra, “and you still think that there's a chance of victory in this?”

“Of course I do,” said Alex. “Within the darkness, there is always light. As long as I have friends to fight for, I won't surrender until I draw my final breath.”

Twilight opened her eyes, watching as Alex poured his soul to King Sombra. Suddenly, she looked to see that his upper chest began to glow. She then noticed a glimmer coming from above her head.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

From outside, the chests of Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity began to glow as well, getting the attention of people and ponies near them.

“Pinkie Pie,” gasped Kite, looking at her with surprise with Hart, “you're...”

Pinkie Pie noticed her chest glowing blue, causing her to giggle madly with anticipation.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“As long as I have faith in my friends,” concluded Alex, “and my friends have faith in me, I'll never give in!”

The glow on Alex's chest and above Twilight's head grew even brighter, shocking Yuma and Astral.

“No,” growled King Sombra, “this cannot be.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Canterlot, Equestria

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Princess Celestia noticed a glowing coming from the room where she kept the Elements of Harmony, her mouth slightly agape at the realization of what was happening.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Crystal Empire, Equestria

_________________________________________________________________________________________

King Sombra watched with horror as a gold choker with a green ankh gem in the center of it formed around Alex's neck as Alex's black coat and pants turned bright white. Twilight's tiara appeared on her head as well.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The Elements of Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash also appeared around their necks. The five of them ran closer to the kingdom, ready to support their friends.

“Rainbow Dash,” muttered Shark, captivated by the sight of it all.

“Alex!” shouted Tom. “Let's go!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Alex's top card began to glow, frightening King Sombra even more.

“Now,” said Alex, “let me show you firsthand the power of hope and friendship.”

***************************************************
Alex's Turn: Alex discards a card with Vanishing Hand's effect.

================================================================================

Alex pulled his Elements of Harmony card from his hand, prepared to activate it.

“I...” he tried to declare. “I act...”

The one thing that kept Alex from continuing was the trap card set on King Sombra's field. He had kept it there for nearly the entire duel and not once activated it. It was obvious that it was not for Alex and Yuma's spells and traps, otherwise, he would have already activated it by now. It was obvious: the trap was for his monster.

Alex then reflected back on his duel with Discord, and what happened the last time he took the enemy for granted after using Elements of Harmony. With what he had in his hand, he might have been able to destroy Somber Dragon, but with the trap card set on King Sombra's field, he could not guarantee that it would stay away for long, which would cripple Alex and Yuma entirely.

“Well?” urged King Sombra. “What shall you do?”

Alex then looked to Yuma and Astral. With the Magic Baton card in his hand, he might allow Yuma a better shot at victory, but he had to be absolutely sure.

“Astral,” he called, “could you come here for a second?”

Astral, intrigued by Alex's interest for him, floated out to face him. Yuma was also unsure in Alex's want for Astral, but stayed put. Twilight, still trapped in Somber Dragon, was also wondering what could be happening that would require Astral's assistance.

“What is it, Alex?” asked Astral.

Alex then fanned and revealed his hand to Astral, who began to observe it intently.

“With my hand,” explained Alex, “I don't think I can defeat Somber Dragon. However, I'm wondering if you know of any way that Yuma can beat him if I use my Magic Baton. If there's any way at all, I need you to tell me.”

Looking specifically at Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb, Double Summon, Elements of Harmony, and Magic Baton, he answered with a slight smile.

“There is.”

“What is it, then?”

The conversation was out of earshot to Yuma, Twilight and King Sombra. Upon finishing, Astral looked for Alex's confirmation. With a nod and smile, Astral began to float back towards Yuma.

“We can win this,” spoke Astral. “Just trust me.”

Alex then looked at his hand once again, and grabbed one of his monsters, ready to duel again.

================================================================================

Alex summons Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb (ATK: 1800 DEF: 400) (ATK: 1800 -> 0, DEF: 400 -> 0). Alex then activates Magical Baton, discarding a number of cards from his hand and adding cards to another player's hand equal to the number of cards discarded (2). Alex adds Double Summon and Elements of Harmony to Yuma's hand.

================================================================================

Alex's clothes changed to their normal color, the Elements of Harmony no longer in his possession. Yuma looked at the cards in his hand. Upon seeing the Elements of Harmony, his shock was apparent.

“Huh?” he exclaimed. “You're giving me the Elements of Harmony?”

“WHAT?” shouted Twilight. “You gave Yuma the Elements of Harmony?”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Outside, the crystal ponies murmured to each other, unsure of the meaning of this strategy. However, Twilight's friends were more than confused.

“What are you doing, Alex?” shouted Applejack.

“What were you thinking?” yelled Rainbow Dash.

Tom, however, was much more observant and calm.

“What could you be planning?” he asked.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“That's not all,” shouted Alex. “I activate Magic Baton's effect!”

================================================================================

Next, Alex can activate an effect based on the number of cards added to a players hand by this effect, choosing the second one, as he added two cards to a player's hand. Alex can special summon a monster in either player's graveyard to any player's side of the field, choosing Number 39: Utopia in Yuma's graveyard to Yuma's field (ATK: 2500 -> 0, DEF: 2000 -> 0).

Alex ends his turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-100 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-0
***************************************************

King Sombra laughed once again.

“And what was the point of that?” he asked.

“Everything,” answered Astral before turning to Yuma. “Yuma, our winning formula is set. Let us use ZEXAL and defeat him.”

“ZE–” stammered Alex, unsure of the word, “ZEXAL?”

“How?” asked Yuma. “We aren't in the Parallel Worlds here.”

“No,” explained Astral. “But the magic of this place; it's virtually identical to the space inside the Emperor's Key. We can use ZEXAL here.”

Yuma gasped at the realization, but smiled, knowing that with it, they would surely win.

“Then let's not waste any time,” spoke Yuma. “Let's do this.”

“I'm right behind you, Yuma,” spoke Astral.

Yuma and Astral threw their hands into the air.

“Kattobingu-da, ore!” shouted Yuma. “And now, Astral and I will...”

Yuma and Astral transformed into red and blue overlay auras, respectively, launching into the air.

“...overlay!”

As Yuma and Astral flew around the room in different directions, Alex and Twilight looked at them with sheer awe on their faces. King Sombra on the other hand was visibly nervous. Yuma and Astral met back in the back of the eastern side, colliding together into a bright flash of white that fell to the ground with another bright burst.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Outside, the ponies were stunned and amazed at the transformation that they were witnessing.

“Im...” stammered Tom, “Impossible!”

“Yuma!” shouted Tori, now weeping with happiness. “Astral! Win!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

As the light subsided, a being came into form.

“In the moment two distant souls cross over,” chanted Astral's voice, “a legendary power will come forth.”

The being that came forth wore a tight white jumpsuit that bore Astral's body markings, along with an armored red chest and right shoulder, and a very large red shoulder plate on his left shoulder. As well as a pair of armored, red, knee-high boots and a pair of red, fingerless, elbow-length gloves with cuffs at the wrist and elbows, he had a belt with a pair of oblong shaped boxes on both sides of it.

On his left wrist, he wore a strange duel disk. The main body was white, its deck slot being placed above the wrist while a slot was placed to the right side of it. The zones seemed to be comprised of eleven red, triangular spikes that jutted out to the outside of the duel disk, which Alex could only describe as a Christmas tree.

Around its head, he wore a white, metallic band that formed around the top of his eyes and met at the bridge of his nose, as well as covering each of his ears like two large, metallic muffs. A yellow piece was placed below his left eye while a green piece of glass covered his eye like a monocle.

What shocked Alex and Twilight even more was his face and hair. It's hair bore a resemblance to Yuma's but where it was black was now a shining yellow, as well as the pulled-back-and-over-the-head style that Astral had. It's face bore a striking resemblance to Yuma, but its eyes were both yellow and his cheeks were marked with green, like Astral.

“Xyz change! ZEXAL!” declared the being, sharing Yuma and Astral's voices.

Twilight's eyes were wide in wonder.

“Y–” stuttered Alex, completely in shock. “Yuma? Astral?”

The being looked at Alex and smiled, confirming his identity. Alex's smile crept upon his face.

“Wow,” he gasped.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“What...” spoke Rarity. “What in Equestria is that?”

“It's Yuma and Astral!” exclaimed Tori. “They've combined using ZEXAL!”

“ZEXAL?” asked Fluttershy and Applejack.

“Whatever that was,” spoke Rainbow Dash, “it's awesome!”

“Go Yuma!” shouted Tom.

Tom's cheering brought out the best in the crystal ponies, who began cheering madly as well.

“Yuma! Yuma!” they chanted.

Princess Cadance smiled, her energy feeling restored with Yuma's transformation.

“Yuma,” quietly said Trey as he looked on. “I know you can do it.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Despite still being walled into the room, the cheering and chanting could be heard inside.

“Even though we both merged,” mused Astral's voice inside Yuma's head, “it's your name they're chanting.”

“Never mind that,” said Yuma, his voice his own. “Let's just win this duel.”

“Yes. Let's.”

***************************************************
Yuma's Turn: Yuma discards a card with Vanishing Hand's effect. Since Yuma's life points are 1000 or lower, Yuma overlays Number 39: Utopia to chaos xyz summon Number C39: Utopia Ray (ATK: 2500 DEF: 2000) (ATK: 2500 -> 0, DEF: 2000 -> 0).

================================================================================

With all that happened, the crowd was too excited to care about Yuma's chaos xyz change. But it would only get bigger from there.

“And now,” declared Yuma and Astral together as they activated a spell card, “I activate Alex's Elements of Harmony! When this card is activated, I can negate the effects of one monster my opponent controls and reduce its ATK and DEF to 0!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Outside, beams of various color shot out from the Elements that were worn by Twilight's friends, flying towards the top of the palace.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The beams shattered through the walls behind King Sombra, flying at Somber Dragon, who roared in pain as each beam touched it. Alex's beam shot out at the monster too, weakening it further. Twilight's tiara shone brightly through Somber Dragon as it produced a blood-curdling roar. An ATK counter appeared next to Utopia Ray, going from 0 to 2500.

Once the light faded. Twilight found herself outside the creature, free from her prison. She immediately ran to Alex and Yuma, jumping into their arms and being hugged by both of them. King Sombra snarled.

================================================================================

Yuma activates Alex's Elements of Harmony, targeting one monster his opponent controls, negating its effect and reducing its ATK and DEF to 0 until the end phase, choosing Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon. With Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect negated, Number C39: Utopia Ray's ATK and DEF return to normal (ATK: 0 -> 2500, DEF: 0 -> 2000).

================================================================================

Yuma let go of Twilight, ready to resume his turn. Alex and Twilight could only observe as Yuma continued on.

“I activate Elements of Harmony's effect!” spoke Yuma. “When I activate its first effect, I can activate one of three other effects, choosing the second, allowing me to draw two cards!”

================================================================================

Yuma can apply one of three other effects, choosing the second, drawing two cards.

================================================================================

“Everything is inevitable in the strongest duelist dueling!” chanted Astral's voice. “Even the cards they draw can be created by the duelist.”

Yuma's right hand began to glow yellow.

“Let's go, Astral!” shouted Yuma forcing his right hand into the air as yellow sparks began to gather to it.

“All light, give me power!” chanted Yuma and Astral together. “Gather into my right hand and illuminate the path towards hope!”

Yuma placed his fingers upon his now glowing deck. As he drew his two cards at once, they were both covered in blinding yellow light that left a tail as Yuma whipped the cards out to his side.

“Shining draw!”

================================================================================

Yuma tributes Alex's Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb to normal summon ZW – Lightning Blade (ATK: 1200 DEF: 2000). When Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb is tributed, Alex can special summon a Hieratic normal monster from his hand, deck, or graveyard, choosing Hieratic Seal of the Sun Dragon Overlord from his deck (ATK: 0 DEF: 0). Yuma then activates Alex's Double Summon, tributing Alex's Hieratic Seal of the Sun Dragon Overlord to normal summon ZW – Tornado Bringer (ATK: 1300 DEF: 1800).

================================================================================

“I overlay my level 5 Lightning Blade and Tornado Bringer!” declared Yuma.

Both the metal tiger and metal dragon became a yellow and green wisp of energy that flew up towards the ceiling of the room and into a galaxy portal that formed.

“I construct the overlay network with my two ZEXAL weapons! Xyz summon!”

Instead of exploding, however, the portal grew intensely bright. From the light galloped down a mechanical, white-and-red cat-like monster that roared upon its arrival.

“Come forth! ZEXAL Weapon – Leo Arms!”

================================================================================

Yuma overlays ZW – Lightning Blade and ZW – Tornado Bringer to xyz summon ZW – Leo Arms (ATK: 3000 DEF: 1200).

================================================================================

“This card can be used as an equip card with Utopia Ray,” explained Yuma and Astral, “and with it equipped, it raises its ATK by 3000.”

The new monster, in a flash of light, began to envelop itself around Utopia Ray until Yuma's ace monster was coated in a red, gold, and white armor with a large, silver sword.

“The raging impact from the Warrior's Golden Armor will shake the ground!” they both chanted. “Blitz of Lightning! Grant the warrior the strength of a God Slayer! The Beast-Armor Fusion! Lion King Utopia Ray!”

================================================================================

Yuma activates ZW – Leo Arms' effect, equipping itself to Number C39: Utopia Ray and increasing its ATK by 3000 (ATK: 2500 -> 5500).

================================================================================

“Next,” declared Yuma, “I activate the effect of Overlay Eater in my graveyard!”

“Overlay Eater?” questioned King Sombra, scared over the prospect of more things happening to him.

“Yes! The card you made me discard with your trap card! By banishing it in my graveyard, I can detach an xyz material from an opponent's xyz monster and attach it to an xyz monster I control.”

“But that means...”

“Yes, Sombra. I detach the Crystal Heart from your monster and attach it to Utopia Ray!”

A puple portal opened on the floor, out of which came a red-and-black lizard. Using its long tongue, it reached inside of Somber Dragon's chest and pulled the Crystal Heart from it with its tongue and tossed it to Yuma's monster. Upon reaching Utopia Ray, the Crystal Heart merged with its chest, coating it in a blue aura.

“NO!” yelled King Sombra, “My Crystal Heart!”

================================================================================

Yuma activates Overlay Eater's effect from his graveyard, banishing it to detach one xyz material from an opponent's xyz monster and attaching it to an xyz monster that he controls, choosing Number C39: Utopia Ray.

Yuma attacks Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon with Number C39: Utopia Ray.

King Sombra's Life Points: 9500 -> 4000

================================================================================

Somber Dragon exploded into a blast of blue light that forced King Sombra to his back. With the magic of the Crystal Heart being part of the explosion, King Sombra's skin was covered in glowing blue cracks, visibly harming him, but it didn't stop the tyrant from smiling and giggling.

================================================================================

King Sombra activates Call of the Haunted, special summoning Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon from his graveyard in attack position. With Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon's effect, the ATK and DEF of all monsters are reduced to 0 (ATK: 5500 -> 0, DEF: 2000 -> 0).

================================================================================

“I won't let you!” shouted Yuma. “I activate Leo Arms' effect! Once per turn, I can negate the effect of a monster and halve its ATK!”

Utopia Ray aimed the two swords that it held in its hands along with the large sword being held by the arms on its back at Somber Dragon. Launching a blue beam at it, the monster was forced to the ground as Utopia Ray's ATK restored itself.

“What?” shouted King Sombra.

================================================================================

Yuma activates ZW – Leo Arms' effect, negating the effects of an opponent's monster and halving its ATK when it's equipped to a monster (ATK: 0 -> 5500, DEF: 0 -> 2000).

Yuma activates ZW – Leo Arms' effect, allowing the equipped monster to declare an attack during the main phase 2 while it's equipped to a monster.

================================================================================

“IMPOSSIBLE!” shouted King Sombra.

“Go, Lion King Utopia Ray!” shouted Yuma.

Suddenly, Utopia Ray thrust his large sword into the air, causing it to flash like a beacon across the Crystal Empire, confusing Yuma.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Cadance, fully invigorated by the light of Utopia Ray and the Crystal Heart, flew above the crowd of crystal ponies to address them.

“Behold!” cried a young crystal stallion. “The Crystal Princess!”

“The Crystal Heart has returned!” she spoke. “Use the light and love within you to ensure that King Sombra does not!”

She then cast a spell at the snowflake design at the center of the underside of the palace. As the snowflake began glowing, a crystal spike sprouted from it, along with another one from the ceiling. One by one, the crystal ponies, now happy with Yuma's imminent victory, shone like crystals, their bodies becoming translucent.

They all began bowing, causing all the streets that they stood on to glow a bright blue until they spread throughout the kingdom. The other humans, ponies, and dragon looked upon it, mesmerized by it.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“What?” exclaimed King Sombra, witnessing this through the now open space of the top of the tower. “No! No! Stop!”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

His orders fell on deaf ears as the light continued to spread. Suddenly, it all conversed into the center, forming as a ball of energy in between the two spikes in the center of the palace underside. The ball then spread out, growing larger and larger. As its light flashed throughout the kingdom, every dark crystal that was in the light's path was eradicated.

As the light touched Cadance and Shining Armor, they shone like crystals too, Cadance's hair also changing in style. The crystal fragments covering Shining Armor's horn were now gone.

Vetrix, Trey, Quattro, Quinton, Dextra, and Nistro were the next to be enveloped by the light, vaporizing the crystals on their arms. While Trey and Quinton looked in wonder at their shiny new appearance, Dextra and Quattro looked more frightened and unnerved. However, Vetrix and Nistro were much more positive.

“Ey,” spoke Nistro, observing his body and long coat, “not bad.”

“I'm sparkling like diamonds!” giggled Vetrix, clapping his hands.

Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Daring Do, and Spike also shone as the light passed through them, also gaining new hairstyles and accessories. Rarity, delighted with her appearance, which matched that of the daydream she had the previous day, giggled with sheer glee.

The light then passed over Kite, Hart, Tori, and Tom. Kite and Tom looked more awestruck about their new appearance than Hart and Tori, who looked very happy about it.

As the light passed over Shark, he looked with disdain at his sparkly appearance, but upon looking at his shirt and blazer, which seemed to have been fixed by the light, he pulled his shirt up. His stomach no longer had a cut on it. In its place was a barely noticeable scar.

He stood up, and ran to Rainbow Dash and her friends. He poked her on the shoulder and showed him his scar. With his safety guaranteed, Rainbow Dash jumped onto Shark and hugged him. They both then watched together as the light grew farther out over the empire.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Twilight, Alex, and Yuma were also covered by the light as the dome grew out and up, shattering the remaining dark crystal walls and opening the staircase back up. Yuma looked at himself with surprised interest, especially with the way he could see though himself. Twilight and Alex looked at each other with excited expressions.

“I'm so shiny!” exclaimed Alex to Twilight. “You're so shiny!”

Twilight and Alex then looked at Yuma, his ZEXAL form made only more spectacular by his added crystal form.

“Yuma is so shiny!” said Twilight with feigned sultriness in her voice.

The light of the dome from outside then gathered back to the top of the palace, fusing itself with Utopia Ray's massive sword, which glowed like a hot, white sun.

“No!” shouted King Sombra, his body now looking like it would fall apart any second with the amount of cracks in its body. “I beg of you, stop!”

“No!” shouted Yuma. “I won't stop. I'm going to bring it to you. Kattobingu-da, ore! Attack, Lion King Utopia Ray! Hope King Triple Chaos Crystal Slash!”

================================================================================

Yuma attacks Dark Crystal – Somber Dragon with Number C39: Utopia Ray.

King Sombra's Life Points: 4000 -> 0

Alex and Yuma win.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The final slash from Utopia Ray's sword caused another explosion, its shockwave and blast headed right towards the already weak King Sombra.

“NO!” he shouted before the blast hit him, vaporizing him instantly.

Twilight, Alex, and Yuma, brought their arms over their eyes, shielding themselves from the bright light. As the light faded, Utopia Ray was the last thing standing. Utopia Ray then brought its sword up once again as it started to glow.

“Now what?” asked Alex.

The entire palace began to glow with Utopia's sword. As it reached peak brightness, Utopia Ray's sword shot out a beam of red, yellow, and blue lights into the ceiling, passing through the top and into the sky. As it shot up higher and higher, the tip exploded into a shockwave of blue, the force blowing away King Sombra's remaining smog and brightening the blue sky. The beams then spread out amongst the sky like aurora borealis.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Canterlot, Equestria

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The skies cleared, revealing the colored beams as they raced through the sky. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna looked upon the sight with wonder and relief, knowing that now, the Crystal Empire was safe. Princess Celestia gently and lovingly caressed Luna's horn with her own, ensuring her that everything would be alright. Luna returned the gesture and rubbed Celestia's horn as well.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Crystal Empire, Equestria

_________________________________________________________________________________________

As the lights spread out, Yuma and Astral came apart from their ZEXAL form to their normal bodies, albeit still sparkling. The Duel Rezzer also shut off, Utopia Ray and Leo Arms fading with the rest of the holograms, revealing the Crystal Heart inside Utopia Ray's chest. With nothing to hold it now, the Heart fell to the floor only for Twilight to catch it with her magic.

“Nice catch,” said Alex.

“Heeheehee,” giggled Twilight. “Nice duel.”

Even with the lack of a full view from the palace where they were, Alex, Yuma, Astral, and Twilight had to admit that the sight of the blue sky with the colored lights dancing upon it was breathtaking.

“So cool...” said Yuma.