• Published 29th Sep 2012
  • 3,215 Views, 110 Comments

What was meant to be - StormHoof32



Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been Friends for a long time, and eventually they grow closer.

  • ...
21
 110
 3,215

Love is a twisted path.

Fluttershy sat there and held her friend and beloved as she cried into her shoulder. She never wanted this, and what Applejack had just done was a terrible terrible thing to do, even if she was able to be with Dash.

"Rainbow?" she asked.

"I'm here for you Rainbow, no matter what."

Rainbow Dash just sat there and cried, she had lost the one she loved, and it felt like her heart had been ripped out. She cried and cried until eventually she fell asleep in Fluttershy's arms. Her friends arms were quite comfortable and for some reason the touch of her friend was comforting in her sadness.

Fluttershy watched Rainbow sleep, she was cute. She laid her down on the couch and covered her with a blanket, and then lied down next to her. Fluttershy wanted to be with her so badly, but Rainbow was in pain and she came first before herself.
She lied there and waited as her friend slept, just enjoying the feel of her soft fur.

A few hours later Rainbow awoke to find Fluttershy lying next to her, asleep. Rainbow smiled, having her friend there for her made her feel a little bit better. She was about to get up when she heard Fluttershy mutter in her sleep.
'She's so cute when she does that' she thought to herself. She got up off the couch and flew over to thekitchen for a glass of water, when suddenly she heard a gasp.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!" her friend called out in a worried tone.

"I'm right here," she said, "I was just getting some water."

She heard her sigh in relief as she entered the kitchen.

"You scared me Rainbow, I thought you had left me there." she said in her usual quiet voice.

"It's ok Flutters, I just didn't want to wake you, you looked like you were having a pretty good dream."

Fluttershy smiled.

"It was a really good dream." she said.

"Mind if I ask what you were dreaming about?" Rainbow questioned.

"Uh-uh..." she said blushing.

"You don't have to tell me. I'll understand." Rainbow said, looking guilty for having asked her about something personal.

"I'd wrather show you." Fluttershy replied. "Close your eyes."

Rainbow did as she was asked and closed her eyes, not kowing what to expect. She was surprised when she felt a quick kiss from the shy pegasus. She opened her eyes and looked at her friend, who's face was now a light shade of red.

"I-I was d-dreaming about us." she stuttered, blushing even harder.

Rainbow smiled at how her friend stuttered. After that moment, she felt closer to her somehow, the kind of closeness she felt with Applejack. Rainbow walked over to Fluttershy and kissed her. When they kissed, it was passionate, but something about it just felt different.

"Rainbow, I love you so much." Fluttershy said, blushing again as the words left her mouth.

Rainbow would've said it back, but she knew, she didn't feel the same way about Fluttershy as she did with Applejack. It was love, but in a different way.

Rainbow was lost in thought as she felt Fluttershy nuzzle her cheek. She snapped out of it and hugged Fluttershy.

"I'm sorry Fluttershy, but I love Applejack too much, even if she wants me to be with you." Rainbow said, feeling guilty as she talked.

"I-I understand just know that if you ever need me, I'll be here for you." she said smiling.

Rainbow could see that behind that smile, she was hurt deeply. She walked over to the yellow pegasus and hugged her, and then she kissed her on the cheek.

"Thanks Flutters. I'm sorry, I really am." she said.

Rainbow walked out of the cottage and took off as fast as she could toward Sweet Apple Acres to get her love back.
As soon as the farm came into sight, she began to feel happier. She wanted nothing more than to hold her again, and be in her presence.

She landed in the apple orchard and trotted toward the large home.

Finally she reached Applejack's place, but when she got to the door, she decided to look through the window. She didn't know what made her decide to look through the window, but when she did she saw something that made her want to cry more than ever. Right there in the living room, Applejack was kissing Rarity.

Rainbow immediately flew off, tears streaming from her eyes.

*****************************

Applejack stopped kissing Rarity as she saw a flash of color rush past her front window, accompanied by a loud boom.

'oh no, she saw me and Rarity' she thought.

"Rarity, Ah know your tryin ta help me forget about Rainbow, but I need to go." she explained.

"Oh it's nothing darling, you know if you ever have need, I'm here for you." she smiled.

Applejack rushed out the front door and headed in the direction of the rainbow. She ran faster and faster as she followed the brightly colored stream. As she ran she realized that it was leading straight to Fluttershy's cottage. She had to hurry, she didn't want anything bad to happen.

*****************************

Rainbow sat there and cried her heart out as Fluttershy held her.

"I can't believe she would do that to you Rainbow. Don't worry I'm here for you." Fluttershy said as she comforted her heartbroken friend.

Suddenly the door burst open as Applejack rushed in. Fluttershy screamed in fright as she was scared out of her hide.

"Rainbow!" she said with a look of panic on her face.

Fluttershy just sat there, her heart beating a millions miles an hour.

"Rainbow, please. Let me explain." she said.

"Applejack, just go. You hurt me enough, I don't wanna hear it."

"Rainbow Please!" Applejack said as she started to cry.

"JUST GO!!!" Rainbow yelled.

Applejack stood there crying, she couldn't stand losing Rainbow.

"Just go Applejack, pls, I don't want to hurt anymore."

Applejack rushed out of the cottage, sobbing as she realized that the one pony she loved more than anything in the world, hated her. She rushed past her friends, not giving them enough time to ask her what was wrong. She ran into her house, up the stairs and into her room. She lied down on her bed and cried until she couldn't cry anymore. she stared at the picture of Rainbow and felt herself die inside.

Rainbow sat next to Fluttershy, and held her. If she couldn't be with APplejack anymore she wwould at least try with Fluttershy. She looked up into the yellow pegasus' eyes and saw the love and affection she had for her. She kissed Fluttershy putting as much emotion as she could into it. She wanted to feel happy again, she wanted Fluttershy to feel happy. She wanted to be loved.

"Rainbow, I love you." she said as she broke the kiss and hugged the heartbroken Rainbow maned pegasus.

"I-I love you Fluttershy." she said it with as much love as she could, but she knew, deep in her heart, that she didn't really love her shy friend. Her heart belonged to Applejack. Rainbow hugged Fluttershy back, holding her close as she tried to make the hurt go away. They stayed there like that for a while before Rainbow lied down on Fluttershy's couch and passed out. Thinking of the pain and loneliness that held her heart captive.