• Published 17th Apr 2023
  • 191 Views, 0 Comments

Tales of Equestria: Griffon Wings - Noratcat



Eight years after Rainbow Dash makes an important decision, her adopted son attempts to deal with the knowledge of his origins

  • ...
 0
 191

Prologue

It was never easy to make a decision, especially big a one; the kind that was life-changing. Rainbow Dash never anticipated these sorts of situations. She was the kind of pony who lived in the moment. Sure, she had goals, such as her desire to be part of the Wonderbolts. She had worked towards that, and now she stood proudly among them. But for anything else, she didn’t plan ahead, being a sort of “go with the flow” kind of mare. It was due to that she didn’t expect a particular knock at the door, and to be greeted with a familiar face to boot.

Gilda.

The story of how she met Gilda was a simple tale. Both of them had been attendees of the Junior Speedster’s Flight Camp. Rainbow Dash had been the first to notice her, a shy and timid little griffon who stuttered as she said her own name. However, they quickly became friends. In fact, she dare say that Gilda was her first best friend. She had known Fluttershy, but the pair of them hadn’t been as close, at least not as they were now. But she and Gilda certainly were close.

Admittedly, Rainbow Dash knew very little of griffons back then. As an impulsive and rambunctious child, Rainbow Dash displayed her “living in the moment” attitude even back then. Frankly, Rainbow Dash never took the time to ask. She did note one thing, even if she didn’t delve into it: Gilda certainly had a sweet tooth. She recalled one day her mother had sent her a care package. Most of it consisted of various cookies and candies, everything a little kid would like. As she eyed the treats, she noticed a glint in Gilda’s eyes as she gazed upon those treats. Not without consideration, Rainbow Dash had asked the young Gilda if she wanted some. Though reluctant at first, Gilda was given a free pass upon Rainbow Dash’s insistence.

That proved a mistake, for the minute the opening was clear, Gilda tore into the basket, gobbling down whatever she could, at least, until Rainbow Dash took the basket away. All Gilda could do was burp and sheepishly apologize. Rainbow Dash laughed it off and remarked how her mother would find it a compliment someone enjoyed her baking so much. It would only be now that Gilda’s gluttonous display was due to the poor condition Griffonstone was in. Rainbow Dash recalled how she and Pinkie Pie had gone there on a friendship mission. The dilapidated state of the buildings, along with the seedy underbelly image the populace presented.

It alone made her think of what would happen if Equestria’s own monarchy fell. Granted, princesses were chosen, not born, (Twilight’s niece Flurry Heart being an exception), but the loss of their last king had devastated the country to the point it fell into ruins. At least in terms of Griffonstone’s standing. There were other griffon settlements, and she and Pinkie had only seen the (former) capital.

The trip alone hadn’t just offered insight into the average life of a Griffonstone citizen, but it had brought along a reunion with one she had thought she would never see again.

Once more, Gilda.

Their last meeting had been a disaster, to say the least. What had started out as a friendly get-together between old friends, had turned into a revelation of her “friend’s” true nature. While Gilda may have seemed like a cool and laid-back creature, she hid a very rude and aggressive side; a downright bully. A series of well-intentioned pranks had brought it out and it ended with Gilda and Rainbow Dash breaking off their friendship. It was only their reunion in Griffonstone that led to them mending their broken relationship. They had parted on good terms, with Gilda vowing to spread friendship to all of Griffonstone.

The story would have ended on a high note, if not for that knock at the door, and it would have not led to Rainbow Dash opening it and being greeted by her friend.

For a third time, Gilda.

A conversation followed. It wasn’t a simple act of catching up, Gilda had a request, and it was a request that made Rainbow Dash pause.

She stood within the confines of her kitchen, the cloud architecture fitting for a pegasus, but the bright décor clashed with the dreary cloud that hung over the sky-house itself.

“G, what you’re asking me to do…” Rainbow Dash trailed off as she spoke, still trying to take in what she had been asked.

Gilda held her head downcast, her eyes refusing to address Rainbow Dash, “I know how you must feel Dash, but I didn’t have anyone else to go to.”

“What about Grifonstone? You have friends right?” Rainbow Dash asked incredulously.

“I know far-off news doesn’t reach Equestria, but Griffonstone isn’t exactly the most stable of places right now,” Gilda stated.

“But, we got griffon students in Twilight’s school? Heck, you said you’d help spread friendship there!” Rainbow Dash paused as she heard a small whimper.

“Ever since our last king died, the military’s been in charge, but a lot of griffons want to reestablish the monarchy, but there are some who think the military should still be in charge,” Gilda’s voice remained firm.

Rainbow Dash noticed it, her eyes full of concern, “Is it that bad?”

“I know you’ve seen me at my worst Dash, just picture a whole bunch of griffons at their worst, so yeah, it’s that bad,” Gilda replied with a grim tone to her voice.

She had certainly seen Gilda at her worst, and the initial impression of Griffonstone didn’t paint a pretty image of Griffons as a whole. Multiplying that by who knows how much, then it certainly didn’t imply a sense of stability.

But most of all her thoughts centered on the bundle Gilda had brought, a wrapped-up blanket containing a baby griffon, one that was the spitting image of Gilda herself. It didn’t take an egghead to figure out the child’s parentage.

“So is that why you’re here?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Gilda looked towards her sleeping son, “Partly, I can’t raise a child while my country is about to blow up into a civil war.”

Raising a child during wartime, Twilight had once told her of the time Starlight Glimmer had attempted to change the past, warping reality in a number of ways. One such timeline cast Equestria in a war with King Sombra. Even if Rainbow Dash hadn’t been there, she could easily imagine it.

“And what’s the other part?”

Gilda reached out and placed a comforting claw upon her sleeping son, “I want to make my home a better place, and that means fighting to make it better, I’m trying to help reinstate the monarchy, and put a new king or queen on the throne.”

“Can you even do that?”

“I’m not going to lie. It’s not going to be easy, but it’s something I want to do.”

Gilda’s words were serious in their delivery, and the stony expression told Rainbow Dash enough that she was serious.

“Still...G,” Rainbow Dash was all the more hesitant, even if her friend’s determination was to better her race.

“Look Rainbow, you don’t owe me a thing, but you were the only person I can think of,” Gilda tried desperately to hide the pleading in her voice.

“But why did you pick me?” Rainbow Dash insisted on knowing.

Rainbow Dash knew Gilda wasn’t trying to guilt her. Any pleading Gilda was making was clearly an act of desperation, but listening close, Rainbow Dash could sense something else.

“Because I know you’ll give him all the love and care I can’t,” And there it was, the second part, “Dash, you’re the only other creature I would trust my son with.”

Yet even as Gilda made her case, Rainbow Dash still couldn’t decide. This was something finale, something she knew she would never be able to walk back from.

“What’s his name?” Rainbow Dash asked as she gazed upon the slumbering child.

Gilda matched Rainbow Dash’s gaze and in the corner of it, something shimmered, “Gale. His name is Gale.”

It started with the letter G. Rainbow Dash wasn’t surprised, though she had later learned not every griffon’s name began with that letter, it was just a very popular naming theme.

On each corner of Rainbow Dash’s muzzle, a smile began to form. The child slept away, unaware of anything that was transpiring. Seeing the boy finalized the smile.

“Gale huh?”

And so, Rainbow Dash made her decision.

“Okay G, for you.”