• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,843 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,843

Tuesday Dec 20 b

“So your driver is going to pick up the boxes?” Sunset asked staring in disbelief at Susan who just got off a call with her mobile phone to who she guessed was the woman’s driver. She had to wonder if the woman ever drove herself or if she was one of those people who depended on servants to do everything. “Do you have maids too?”

“Actually I don’t have maids, and the driver is actually more of a bodyguard my assistant pushed me into bringing incase something happens. Normally I drive myself unless it is for business purposes which call for a show of power.” Susan explained as she watched the limo pull away from the apartment complex. “And while I will be driving you places, you are old enough to drive yourself also.”

“I can’t, I can’t exactly get a license.” Sunset groaned out, “I doubt my papers can even get me into any other schools since they are pretty bad forgeries.”

“I was afraid of that, but you are lucky. Canterlot County is know for their one of a kind complexion as well as their lax attitude to paperwork and such. There have been many young people such as yourself who was born at home and the paperwork never filed for social security numbers and birth certificates. While it is a headache to get them, the government will grant those under twenty-one years old paperwork under certain conditions and sponsors.” Susan explained as she moved over to where Sunset was unhooking her gaming system from the television. “And since I have the DNA results I can make it a little easier to get them claiming that your father took off with you.”

“I actually kind of figured you would just use Will’s stuff if I stayed.” Sunset said as she wrapped up the wires wondering what would happen if she stays.

“I talked it over with my assistant, her husband is a lawyer and they assured me they can get the paperwork expedited. As for using Will’s, there is several problems with that.” Susan said giving Sunset a side hug as she picked up the top game case on the small stack. “First, it wouldn’t be fair to you since you are your own person. I loved Will so much and I will miss her, but I love you too and I won’t force you into being someone you aren’t. Second, there is no way you could pass for Will even if we did try that.”

“You know,” Sunset said hesitating a moment before going on as she was a little worried telling the woman this. “I look like Will transformed.”

“I-I don’t know what to say.” Susan said in shock before shaking her head, “I still stand by my decision, you are your own person and I won’t push you into being someone you aren’t. I look forward to getting to know the beautiful young woman you have grown into.”

“Hearing you say that means a lot to me.” Sunset said as she smiled at the woman. She was pretty much coming to believe that this truly was her mother. It opened up a whole other can or worms, but she couldn’t really deny it much longer. Even if she was though, Sunset just couldn’t call her mom yet as that was moving just a little too fast for her.

“I mean it honey.” Susan said with a loving smile before looking back down at the game in her hands and deciding that a few more presents might be in need.

“I don’t have much to pack, I don’t have many clothes and what you see in here is pretty much what I have.” Sunset explained. “Do you mind if I bring Ray with me? He’s my gecko.”

“Of course you are bringing him with you honey, bring whatever you like. I really hope you stay after the holidays.” Susan said hoping that her daughter would stay.

“It would be nice to have a family, to have a mother.” Sunset wistfully said.

“I will always be your mother, Sunset. You won’t get rid of me that easy.” Susan said. She let Sunset gather more of her things as she went back over to the window to look back outside. She had to admit that the town wasn’t too bad actually even if the apartment complex here looked pretty run down. She was debating getting a nice apartment here for Sunset and herself if the teen didn’t want to stay in Heatherfield after the holidays. She could easily drive back and forth and it would be worth doing if it was what was needed to be with Sunset.

Another thing was bothering her though, Yan Lin had told her about what she saw in her vision. That she knew for certain that Susan’s mind was messed with when she was with Dean and it scared the woman. She wasn’t sure if Dean was a part of it too or a victim. The only consolation was that Yan Lin assured her it was probably some kind of trick by Phobos to weaken Will and the other guardians by sowing discord among their lives. At least it did lessen the guilt she felt for the way she treated Will because of the man even if it didn’t erase it.

“I don’t have a lot of food right now, but if you want I have some Pop-Tarts by the toaster. All I have is water right now, sorry.” Sunset said with an embarrassed look.

“I’m okay honey, but you will be eating better food than that from now on. Healthier food.” Susan said as she was worried about what she just heard. Was that because the girl didn’t have money to buy anything else or was it just a teenager thing going out to eat and just keeping junk food at the house. She wasn’t sure but she decided a trip to her doctor to get a checkup might not be such a bad idea.

“Pop-Tarts is healthy…ish.” Sunset said with a little hesitation as she sounded as if she didn’t believe that herself.

“Why do I get the feeling that even you don’t believe that.” Susan said sadly as she heard a knock at the door. Peeking back out the window she saw her driver standing there with a stack of plastic totes with the lids sitting inside. “Looks like he’s back with the boxes.”

Susan opened the door accepting the totes with a smile to her driver who nodded in return before asking, “Would you like help packing, Ma’am?”

“Thank you, we will be fine. Maybe when we get everything packed you can help carry a couple out if you don’t mind.” Susan said, “We shouldn’t be long.”

“Just let me know when you are ready, Ma’am.” The man said before turning to head back to the limo as Susan shut the door with her hip. She carried the totes over and put them on the chair next to the table before pulling a drink carried with two drinks out and a bag of food from inside the top tote.

“I thought he was going to get boxes.” Sunset said as she eyed the plastic containers while her stomach growled at the smell of the food.

“I learned that cardboard boxes aren’t the best thing to be using for moving the hard way.” Susan said with a wishful yet sad smile, “But first we need to have something to eat. I wasn’t sure what to get so I hope you like chicken nuggets and fries with a cola.”

“That sounds great right now.” Sunset said truly thankful for the meal though she couldn’t help the little bit of sassiness bubbling up. “It isn’t very healthy though.”

“No, but it is good and we need to get stuff packed up.” Susan said, “We can worry about healthier stuff later.”

Sunset didn’t argue as she moved the totes off the chair and the two sat at the table where the girl quickly demolished her meal much to her embarrassment once she realized what she did. Blushing she looked up to Susan who was sporting a sad if a bit amused expression. “I’m so sorry, I usually have better manners.”

“It’s okay honey, I know you are just in a hurry to get packed.” Susan assured as she pushed mostly full fry container over to the teen.

“I’m fine, really.” Sunset said not wanting to admit how hungry she was as the school lunch wasn’t exactly filling today. Not that they ever were when Granny Smith wasn’t in charge and with the Apple matriarch out with her suspended granddaughter a substitute was left in charge of school meals.

“I’m not that hungry dear, I ate just before I came over. Besides, I don’t want them to go to waste.” Susan said with an encouraging smile as Sunset reluctantly took the fries since Susan had already finished her nuggets. “We can take all of your stuff if you like dear to make sure nothing happens to it. Not to sound offensive, but I paid more attention to the area this time and, well.”

“I know it isn’t the best area, but everyone here looks out for each other.” Sunset assured the older woman, “I think I will take all of my stuff though I don’t know what to do about the furniture. I’m not sure if your car can even take my bed.”

“Sunset, sweetie, don’t worry about any furniture. You have a new bed and everything in your room already, all you need is your clothes and the rest of your stuff like your games.” Susan assured Sunset.

“I don’t want to cost you any more money or trouble.” Sunset said.

“Sweetie, you are never trouble to me, I love you.” Susan assured, “As for money, you deserve it and spending money on you is never a waste.”

“Susan, are you sure you want me staying with you?” Sunset asked wondering if she was going crazy for doing what she was about to do. She felt really guilty because of all the time, energy and money the woman was spending on her yet this place had a special place in her heart as she had worked hard for it. Of course she was scared of things not working out, but she just couldn’t bring herself to make Susan pay all that money holding this place. If the woman was this serious in wanting to make things work then Sunset would make the sacrifice knowing that she had started over before and she could do it again.

“Of course I am honey, I want it more than anything.” Susan said as the two finished up and Sunset threw the trash away before returning to hug Sunset after being asked that question.

“Then I guess I’ll let this place go. I want to give this a try and while it would be nice having the safety net, I wouldn’t be giving this a fair chance if I made you pay all that money to keep it for me.” Sunset explained as she hugged the woman back.

“I told you honey, the money doesn’t. Only your happiness.” Susan sad giving the girl a squeeze. “I want you to seriously think about this while we pack, maybe even think about it tonight and let me know tomorrow. If you are really intent on giving the place up I will send the key back tomorrow. Okay?”

“Okay, thank you.” Sunset said, unable to keep the little bit of sadness at bay as she took the first tote and looked around to decide where to start. She figured the easiest would be with her clothes which would probably leave plenty of room for some light or breakable things such as the few framed pictures she had. Opening up her closet she noticed the Christmas gifts inside and decided to put them in the tote and put them aside to be delivered later or something.

Author's Note:

Just to remind everyone that this is an alternate universe and some things from canon will not be happening or at least not happen in the same way so you aren't expecting some things to happen the same way. Just wanted to remind you as I will be introducing a character sometime soon from one of the series that their change in circumstance will greatly effect the canon. Other than that, I really hope everyone is enjoying the story.