• Published 10th Jul 2023
  • 346 Views, 8 Comments

Empire on the Moon - Kingless knight



When nightmare mom returned, an ancestor of her army and her daughter. Now they’re stuck on eques til the lunar empire can send help or they can teleport back.

  • ...
 8
 346

Learning about the moon

Twilight POV

I woke up stretching, then went down. “Morning Spike, morning—.” I realized there was a scarred vampire pony sitting at my breakfast table wearing a purple office suit. “Aahhh—“In an instant, no sound escaped from my mouth as he presented me with a letter from Celestia and Luna.

“First calm down, second I’m Shadow Swipe grand general of United Domes and third no I’m not a vamp pony.” His horn went dormant. “He is nice, twilight! He gave me this rock candy!” I watched Spike devour some gemstones, then turned to the letter. “Dear Twilight I and Luna need your help, Mr Shadow needs assistance with magic long lost and he doesn’t want any of the nobles to learn of this project. Further details will be given by him. Your beloved teacher Celestia. P.S. Don’t get panicked at the scars.” I was a bit worried but any challenging magic was a plus! “Now Mr. Shadow swipe what is this secret project?” He looked grizzled with an aura of secrecy around him.

He pulled on his suit a bit revealing the scars. “RUNES?!” I gasped; it was like finding an archeological gold mine! “They were banned after the council of Night Spector! All books were destroyed, I recognize one from building ruins, may I make a few copies?” He nodded and Spike brought me a note pod. “How do you have something like this? I know you’re not some cultist if both princesses trust you.” For the first time he spoke, his voice was rough. “They were branded into me after I took my position.” He put his uniform on, I cringed at the idea of being branded. “I’m sorry it must have been painful.”

He nodded. “It’s common on the moon for certain ranks and positions to be marked with runes to enhance our abilities.” Then I stopped, that wasn’t right! There was no such thing as ponies on the moon. “Listen, you need to be serious or else I can’t help you.” He didn’t answer, only giving me a look that I had never seen disappointment. “If you’re from the moon, give me some evidence.” His horn lit and the entire room filled showing a domed city and the glass ceiling showing Eques. Around me, I saw the ponies like him all sharing similar traits like his ears and eyes, even bat ponies in suits walking outside the ceiling. “This is amazing! Why didn’t we know…” I turned to see a statue of Nightmare Night.

I took a defensive stance with Spike behind me only to feel My entire body be petrified. “Before you accuse me of being some follower of that heartless, evil, insane—“ He cleared his throat. “We were reigned by Nightmares Moon. So we were ordered to build monuments to her, even if none of us wanted to.” He let me go from petrification. “Where did you learn that spell?” I panted having never heard of a spell like that. “Even my heart was turned to stone yet my mind was still active!” He looked apologetic. “Sorry, Twilight Sparkle for turning you to stone and It’s a clan spell. So no, I won't teach you.” I understood that unicorn clans with special spells are always protective as if they were treasures.

On the moon in the agri dome

Crab Apple looked over the failing crops. “What is the issue?” The high inquisitor asked, wearing a black robe, his coat dark blue.

Crab apple had a simple answer. “Low Nitrogen. The mines ran out and the amount of fertilizer can’t match the need.” The Inquisitor was tearing up. “We just need to ration, but unless we don’t find a solution we will be hungrier and hungrier with each new generation.” The inquisitor showed no emotions, his eyes simply showed nothing but desperation. “What if we can’t ration it?” Crab apple chaw clenched. “Please answer me.” The inquisitor requested, and Crab Apple let out his answer.

“Famine.”


He looked at the sky with a somber expression. “What’s wrong?” I asked as we walked to Rarity. “I miss seeing eques.” I was surprised. “What do you mean you’re on eques.” He explained. “It’s not what you think, Twilight Sparkle, it’s seeing a blue marble above you, every day questioning your existence.” Now my curiosity was awakened. “What does the sun look like on the moon?” He shrugged. “Boring, no pretty sun sets or rises and no rainbows. It’s a massive white ball, it’s nothing special on the moon.” I couldn’t believe it but it made sense someone from the moon would have such opinions. “Why are we going to your friend, Twilight Sparkle?” I sighed. “Twilight is fine. You said you needed gems right?” He nodded his eyes scanning the area if he was prepared for an attack. “My friend Rarity has a large collection of gems and she would gladly help you,” I explained.

His Face kept the stoic streak as we entered the boutique Rarity greeted us. “Ah welcome and—“ She gulped once she saw the rough moon pony. “Twilight, who is this gentle stallion?” She asked looking over the royal purple uniform. “Who designed this? I mean the color is exquisite!” She felt the fabric. I panicked but Shadow seemed to not care. “This material is nothing I felt before! It’s soft, yet tight and stretchy! Oh, you have to tell me where you got this!” She stepped back. “Apologies I’m a rarity and you would be?” She was making flirtatious looks at him. “Grand General Shadow Swipe, I need assistance in acquiring gems to be exact Zircon.” She hummed and rushed to her supply and brought her zircons. “Here you go, darling.” She smiled as his horn lit, producing an orb of purple light. “Oh, what’s that?”

I asked, realizing that it showed things that wouldn’t be seen like a few stains. “It’s an orb of ultraviolet light that makes the process much easier.” I was a bit confused til I realized some of the zircons were glowing while others weren’t. “The more magic stored, the brighter. Now we need a mirror and a candle.” I got the mirror and Rarity brought the candle. He placed multiple gemstones into the candle.

He offered said candle. “Twilight could you hold this?” I did as asked. “Now stand in front of the mirror.” He lit the candle. “Now repeat harvest moon three times.” I chuckled; it sounded like a filly game at slumber parties. “This is Serious Twilight, now repeat it.” My throat cleared. “Harvest moon.” I started feeling cold. “Harvest moon.” I started hearing writing and someone else’s thoughts about the forge dome needing more resources. “Ok, this is weird.” All odd side effects. “Twilight please no harm will come to you, it will be really helpful to me.” I sighed Celestia trusts him, so I should do the same, I looked into the mirror. Ok, Harvest moon, Harvest moon, Harvest moon.” I blinked and then I noticed I wasn’t in the same place and then I saw a mirror on the desk. “What in Celestia’s name?” I was a melon red unicorn with silver hair but my eyes were the same. “That must have been advanced body—.” I stopped speaking, once I saw the blue orb easily and saw from this office, it was awe-inspiring being so small and so insignificant at the same time. Did the ponies on the moon feel the same? I looked around after I collected my thoughts. “If I’m here, who in my body?” The door kicked open. “It is I the great and powerful Grand Inquisitor Trixie!” Oh no.


At Sugarcube Corner, a purple unicorn now with green eyes was devouring multiple cupcakes and pies. “If I understood correctly you swapped Twilight's mind with your sister’s?” Rarity just watched as her friend ate an entire cake, letting out a satisfied sigh. “Wowza I hope Twilight is having fun whoever she is right now.” Pinkie brought the apple juice and Harvest Moon drank it in a single gulp. “I apologize for my behavior to the utmost degree, it’s just that there is no sugar or cakes, or cookies, or chocolate where I come from.” Pinkie Pie just stared and hugged her. “I’m so sorry! That sounds like the saddest place in the world.” Harvest Moon looked uncomfortable. “Pinkie dear you’re scaring her.” Pinkie jumped back giving an apologetic smile and went back to work.

Harvest Moon smiled. “No worries now dear brother, why haven’t you made a rune door here?” He looked annoyed at her sweet smile but even the two who didn’t know her knew that smile was holding in a lot of rage and fury. “Harvest, my beloved sister, the ponies in Equestria have lost the knowledge to create runes. That's why I need the recipe for Arcane ink.” Her left eye twitched, as she stood up and took a long breath. “You know how annoying it is to create arcane Ink? It’s one the greatest creations of magic and where are you going to find someone of pure heart?” Rarity thought for a moment only one pony came to mind.


I was being interrogated by two unicorns, one wearing a witch hat, robes with a light blue coat, and a white mane. Second Unicorn’s coat was ashen-gray and her main was a light pink, she wore robes, had brands on her forehead just under her horn, and wore multiple rings on it as well. It seemed I was stuck on the chair, I was optimistic! It was once in a lifetime of learning about magic that deviated a thousand years from Equestria! “What is your name intruder?” Asked the gray unicorn. “Twilight sparkle.” Both looked surprised at me. “As in clan sparkle? The clan of dark sorcerers?” I looked shocked I didn’t know anyone in my family practicing dark magic. “No, none in my family practice the dark arts.” They looked impressed as the gray unicorn eyes changed color, she took a scanning look over me. “Yea, none. She’s not the grand admin and she doesn’t have a drop of darkness.” The blue unicorn looked annoyed. “Then who sent you here?” She got close enough that I could feel her breath.

“Shadow swipe.”

Both went silent, a change in their eyes appeared, panic. “Well then we Apologize for our um overreactions miss. I will have you brought to your family home and maybe a tour of the citadel?” The gray unicorn removed the charms placed on me. “Are you daft Ash bright?! She is still in the body of our high admin’s body! Trixie will return her to her office and keep Twilight Sparkle there until the High admin's conciseness returns.” Ash bright sank into her own shadow, shocking me as the shadow sped out of the room.


“Sorry, sorry! Please stop, we have enough and I’m sorry.” Harvest Moon said to Fluttershy, feeling completely guilty for making her cry, even if she didn’t mean it. “But you said that you never saw animals and that’s just sad.” She started crying again and Shadow Swipe had a bucket full already. Rarity was thinking about a solution. “You can bring a few birds to the moon, the agri dome would appreciate it.” Fluttershy smiled at the proposal, whipping her tears. “Really?” Harvest Moon nodded with a smile. “O-ok but is this agri dome safe?” Harvest placed her on Fluttershy’s head and showed the images of the agri done. “Oh, that does look like a nice place for birds and a few bees too.” He nodded and they left the cottage.

Harvest reviewed her mental list. “Throw a zircon in there.” Rarity removed a diamond from the candle and Harvest blasted it with a spell causing the liquid inside to change color. She looked satisfied with her work. “Now we need, the screams of joy.” Rarity blushed and Harvest continued. “Not that kind. More being accepted into a special school or finding you won a lottery.” Shadow Swipe nodded. “Why does she have a Librarian's haircut? I mean seriously!” Her brother answered. “She lives in a library.” Harvest Moon groaned. “Oh did mention Alecia expecting.” She took a long breath.


I heard a long buzzing noise “Do you hear that?” Trixie shrugged. “What is an Inquisitor?” The great and powerful Trixie gasped. “We’re the guardians of the domes! We secure peace and make sure suffering will never spread! Healers, punishers, and judges!” I nodded but I wanted to get a less theatrical answer. “How did it start?” I said my best to not show annoyance.

She looked annoyed but answered. “Yes. Eight hundred and four years ago, Nightmare Moon created the Inquisition to root out anyone opposed to her. However, we were completely loyal to the beautiful, powerful, great, and perfect princess Luna!” Yep, same with Celestia in Equestria. “In Elysium the dream kingdom we found and imprisoned those who attempted to spoil paradise, the only place where we felt peace and joy. The Inquisition's main duty became securing Elysium, many came to Luna asking for help and the Inquisition did so, yet those who wanted to abuse their knowledge of Elysium for power were sent to the deep moon where the power of Luna didn’t reach her.” She looked soberly at what was a badge of a Galloping unicorn. “For our order to exist, the entire Galloping Shadows clan rebelled against nightmare moon, a hundred and four fought because they wanted to be Elysium real. Even under torture none of them told nightmare moon of our refuge.“ I stared at an entire kingdom in a dream, it sounded amazing.

Then my mind went to what they had said about sparkles on the moon. “You said that there is a clan of sparkles on the moon?” Trixie gulped, her eyes widened.


Harvest Moon was hitting her older brother with a newspaper. “Stupid! Why do you have to be a jerk?!” He smirked as she continued hitting him even though it didn’t have any effect. “I don’t want to interrupt whatever this is, but the buckets are really heavy now.” She poked to find it was gelatinous. “Oh good, now we need someone to compress it, or just beat it til it’s liquid again.” They went to sweet apple acres and asked if they had a butter churner. “Why did you assume we had a butter churner?” Granny brought out the butter churner. Applejack looked confused about where it came from. “It was ya mother’s, if ya friends need 'em, just don’t break it ya hear?!” After Rarity explained what was happening.

She nodded. “So you’re not mah friend? She’s having a vacation on the moon!? You’re the general of the military on the moon and ya need to make ink to travel to the moon why?” Harvest She whispered into her ear. “Wow, ok I will help Ya!” After churning the ink for an hour it took on a sickly red color. “We need a drop of fluid from an athlete.” Harvest Moon said, causing everyone except shadow swipe to look at her suspiciously. “Just a drop. Even a spit is enough.” Applejack ran to Fluttershy, so she could find Rainbow Dash.


Trixie sat silent for an entire hour. “Um, Trixie?” She screamed. “Sorry, Trixie was just having a Flashback when Trixie was in magic kindergarten, using the levitation charm so Trixie wouldn’t get crushed under a rock.” Ok, that's worse than my experience in magic kindergarten. “Yea, being born a unicorn is like being born to serve. Glory to nightmare and that.” She opened a drawer to find some liquor and took a gulp, she looked sad. “But every unicorn born is trained by sparkles. The most brutal training in all of the world. Levitating holders over your head while studying, electrocution if you don’t finish before the lock is done, meditation with a magically animated creature that would attack you if you lost your concentration!” She was shaking and panting.

I was just shocked and one question was stuck in my head. “Why?” She turned to me, gulping another glass. “Because the domes run on magic and hard work. Even the bat ponies have to be masters of maneuvering through caves and asteroids while earth ponies are farming and mining. We had so little leisure time it used to be common for some to just fall over out of being tired. Now it’s better, some things are automated but only thanks to magic and science.” I stared, the unicorns on the moon were the opposite of those on Canterlot. I felt awkward because we needed to change the subject matter. “So how does this spell work?” Trixie looked glad to change the topic. “The spell runs on two rules. One is that the two who will swap do not know each other, the subjects have to be of the same age, gender, species, same body type, and have a similar amount of power. Finally, a mirror luckily the walls of this room are surrounded by mirrors. The spell exists as a tool for spying, it ends once one of the two falls asleep.” I guess it makes sense for a dictatorial nation to have such a spell.


“Why did I agree to this?” Shadow asked as they prepared for a hoof wrestling match. “Because no one calls you a pencil pusher and gets away with it!” He wanted to get this done and try at having some private time with his special mare friend. “Ready to lose, pencil pusher?” He sighed, placing his hoof on the table. She then pushed his hoof but it didn’t budge, his hoof was bleached white after years of mining through the caverns of the moon.

He sighed “Oh, wow you’re really strong.” He said sarcastically as rainbow dash did her best. “I’m from a mining family, I did this professionally during my breaks you won’t win.” Dash only got a nudge before he figuratively crushed her hoof into the table, but the table split in half. “Done, now what’s next?” He looked at Twilight Moon. “That’s all, no you just need a door.” He sighed with relief. “And write five hundred characters perfectly.” Shadow Swipe wanted to scream. “I wrote the blueprints, it should take you about a year.” Shadow Swipe glared, holding back all his rage.

Rainbow Dash stood back up. “What’s so important? I mean why do you need a door.” Shadow swipe answered. “Would like to meet the fastest Bat ponies in the world, who maneuver boulders for training?” Dash’s Brain: That’s awesome! “Yea!” He sighed. “Then I need to open a portal to my home country. I better return to Canterlot and speaking of return.” He hit Twilight's body with a sleeping charm and in an instant Twilight was back in her body and Harvest Moon had Heard news of possible famine.