• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 578 Views, 0 Comments

C'est La Vie - Indie Cred



Padlock was never one to sit stil, riding the rails instead of settling down.

  • ...
 0
 578

Chapter 6

It was nearly half past one when Twilight looked up from her studies, her stomach complaining loudly.

“Yeesh, I’ve been sitting here for hours.” She said to herself, getting up from her desk. “I think it’s about time for lunch.”

She walked out of down the stairs and stopped when she saw the library. It was immaculate. Every book was on a shelf, and not a single one seemed out of place. Padlock was sitting on the floor, leaning up against a shelf with a book. He sat up when she entered the room and picked up a loose piece of paper to mark his page.

“It’s about time you came out of there. I was afraid you’d passed out from eye strain.” He said, standing up.

“This place looks amazing! I kinda figured I’d have to reshelve some of the books myself, but it’s like you knew my system by heart!”

“Well as you said, I’m quite well read.”

“I think I owe you some lunch. Come with me.” Twilight said, walking towards the kitchen.

“You don’t have to do that.”

“It’s only fair. After all this work, it’s the least I could do. And I figure it wouldn’t hurt for you to eat something that didn’t come from a garbage can.” Twilight said, smiling.

Twilight began preparing sandwiches for the two of them, and asked “So, how did you get so knowledgeable?”

“Like I said, I wasn’t always a traveler. I used to be a locksmith actually, hence the cutie mark.” He pointed at his flank which had the image of an old iron padlock on it.

“That really doesn’t help. I don’t know of any locksmiths with knowledge on the history of magic, or whether Insights on Psychology goes in the medical section or the philosophy section.”

“Alright, you got me. When I was young I was a voracious reader. I read through pretty much any book I could get my hooves on, which wasn’t many at first. We didn’t have many choices where I grew up, so I took to borrowing books from folk around town.”

“Borrowing? Like from a library?”

“Not quite. Borrowing as in taking them without asking. I always gave them back though.”

“Where did you grow up?”

Padlock sighed softly and said “We’re getting into territory best left unexplored right now.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.” Twilight said quietly, setting two plates down on the table.

“It’s okay. It’s a bit of a sore spot, and I’d prefer to leave it in the past. You didn’t know.”

The two ate their meals in silence, and when he had finished Padlock stood up and said “Alright then, it’s about time I find somewhere to sleep now.”

“Oh! I’d been meaning to talk to you about that. There’s no reason for you to have to sleep outside again. You’re more than welcome to stay here.”

“I don’t know… I’m not really one for creature comforts and whatnot.”

“Please? Twilight said, giving puppy dog eyes.

“Gaaah… Fine, just stop with the face.” Padlock relented.

“Great!”

The front door to the library opened and after a moment Spike called out “Twilight! I’m gone for a few hours and you already replaced me?!”