• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 2,049 Views, 39 Comments

An Unexpected Turn of Events - BlackMuffin



The least likely of situations brings the least likely of ponies together.

  • ...
4
 39
 2,049

Chapter 1

"Mommy, why do all the other fillies and colts have a stallion in their family?"

"What do you mean?"

"Snips has an older stallion he calls a Daddy, so does Twist, and all of my other friends."

"What's wrong with it just being us two?"

"I feel like they all seem happier...I mean, you're great, but why does it feel like our house is empty?"

"I think when you get older you'll find out. Now, isn't it time for you to go to bed?"

...

Ditzy Doo had a simple job as mailmare. Get mail, deliver it to everypony who was to receive it, receive payment, profit. A simple job if it wasn't made so difficult by her wall-eyes. Some ponies made fun of her for it, but most were relatively passive about it. She didn't pay too much attention to it, really; it made her crashland here and there, but reading the packages was easier than most ponies thought it would be. Sure, she got an order wrong every once in a while, but it didn't completely ruin how she worked. In fact, most of the ponies she worked with left the subject of her eyes alone, and didn't call her by that annoying nickname...

"Hey, Derpy, you messed up the order on 59th West again."

...except Frost.

Frost was the kind of pony who you'd assume was a model, or at least wanted to be one. Her face was always coated with makeup, and her mane seemed like she spent hours on it every morning. She even fit the diva personality: mares envied her, and she would flirt with stallions she didn't even care about just to get their attention. It seemed as though the world revolved around her...and as far as she was concerned, it did.

"Where did I put it this time?" Ditzy asked as cheerfully as she could. She just wanted to tear that mare's head clean off...

"You put it at 69th West, you must've read the five wrong again," Frost said with a sigh, "You know you should probably get some surgery for those eyes of yours. That way you wouldn't look so retarded." Ditzy slammed her hooves onto Frost's desk and glared at her with one eye while the other trailed somewhere.

"Just give me the damn package."

Frost sighed. Even if she wanted to, Ditzy could never really be intimidating. She was just the kind of mare that wanted to be nice to everypony...except stallions. She had never really told anypony why, but it wasn't really any of Frost's concern anyway. Ditzy could go buck herself for all she cared.

"Fine, here ya go, missy." Frost slid the package across to Ditzy, who picked it up with her mouth and stormed out of the office, flying off after a clumsy gait onto the sidewalk. "I can't really help but feel bad for her sometimes..." Frost said before going back to trimming her hooves.

...

Ditzy sat outside of the elementary school, waiting for the bell to ring and Dinky to come out of the building. She was sitting on a hill overshadowed with a tree. It was nice and comforting to sit there while she waited for Dinky; the heat of the sun wasn't too uncomfortable there. Despite the comfort, the events at the post office mulled through her mind as she sat waiting.

"Maybe I am retarded..." she sniffled a little at the memory of what Frost called her.

"Don't be silly, Ditzy! You know you're a smart mare, you just don't want to admit it to yourself!" Ditzy turned around to see her friend Carrot Top trotting up to her with a picnic basket on her back, "Really, even if you weren't that bright, we'd all like you anyway!" Carrot Top put the basket down and walked up to Ditzy before sitting down next to her.

"Then why do I mess up all of my orders all the time?" Ditzy looked at the ground, "I can't possibly be as smart as you say I am..."

"Trust me, we're always our worst judges," Carrot Top said while putting a hoof to her chest, "A friend of mine who was an author said that!"

"Is he smart?" Ditzy looked up at Carrot Top, seeing her visibly wince.

"Well, was..." Carrot Top trailed off, looking a little hurt.

"Oh, sorry for bringing something bad up," Ditzy said with a hurt expression, "I didn't mean to make you sad..."

Carrot Top wiped her eyes a little before forcing a smile, "It's fine, you didn't mean it."

The bell rang, signaling dozens of fillies and colts to run out of the schoolhouse towards their parents. Ditzy saw Dinky run up the hill to meet her with a huge smile on her face. She would always be reminded why she endured her job in those situations; although to the world she might seem like one pony, to one pony she might be the world.

And Dinky certainly meant the world to her.

"Hi Mommy!" Dinky squealed as she jumped into Ditzy's arms.

"What did you learn today, muffin?" Ditzy nuzzled her daughter's mane a little.

"We just had a bunch of math and literature. That stuff's sooooo boring!" Dinky said while rolling her eyes.

Carrot Top giggled at the cute filly's display, "Anyways, I think you two should probably be going home now, I'm meeting up with a very special pony here..." Carrot Top winked at Ditzy, who chortled a little and nodded in assent.

"Come on, Dinky, let's go on home." Ditzy smiled at her daughter as she bounced along next to her.

"Bye Miss Carrot Top!" Dinky turned around and waved to the golden mare.

"Bye Dinky!" Carrot Top waved back as she slipped out of view behind the hill.

The two kept walking before Dinky suddenly stopped.

"Mommy?" Ditzy turned around, realizing her daughter had stopped walking. "Why don't I have a daddy?"

Ditzy tensed at her daughter's question. She never asked anything like that.

"What's wrong with not having a daddy?"

"Nothing, just...I'm curious. Everypony seems to have a daddy, and maybe some ponies think it's weird that I don't."

"Silly filly," Ditzy nuzzled her daughter, "Nopony thinks it's weird. We're a perfectly healthy family."

"Is Carrot Top going to be a mommy, though?" There's another question the filly would never ask.

"Why do you say that?"

Dinky pawed a little at the ground before she kept going, "I know that when a stallion and a mare get together, they eventually become a daddy and a mommy, and I was wondering who my daddy was."

That was a bit too much. "Dinky, I think we should just go home now okay?"

The filly was about to say something else, but she just nodded in assent and the two walked the rest of the way home in silence, leaving many of the filly's questions left in her mind unanswered.

...

(Four Months Later)

Ditzy sat at the table with a mug of coffee in her hoof. Bags hung underneath her eyes as she tried to wake herself up. Sure, maybe she was cheerful during the day, but the morning was a completely different story.

"I just feel like murdering somepony right now..." and she probably would if there was somepony around. Fortunately for everypony who wasn't her, there was nopony awake in her near vicinity. Her mornings were so nasty that even her daughter knew to stay away from her.

However, a morning like this could never keep the filly in bed for long.

"Happy Hearth's Warming Day, mommy!" Dinky jumped up and grabbed her mother from behind, almost pulling her off her chair. Ditzy almost exploded, but looking at all the snow outside made her change her mind. Nowadays Ponyville was not getting as much snow during winter as it had before since Cloudsdale had been having troubles recently regarding their water reserves.

"Good morning to you too, you big bundle of energy." Ditzy managed to fight her morning grogginess as she hugged her daughter. Sure, mornings were tough, but there was nothing like a bit of snow and a filly's touch to turn a frown upside down.

Then again, Ditzy was the only mailmare that had to work on Hearth's Warming.

"Can we open presents now?" the filly squealed with excitement.

"Sorry, sweetie, but you know Mommy has to work today." Dinky's eyes widened at this.

"But will we at least spend some time together today?" Dinky's eyes kept widening while little pools started forming at the base.

"Alright, Dinky, I'll take you over to Fluttershy's today since I have to work, but once I get back we'll open your presents okay? How does that sound?"

Dinky let go of her mother and pouted, making the most adorable face she could muster. Ditzy felt her heart shatter a little at the display.

"You promise?" Dinky asked with tears welling in her huge eyes.

"Yes. I promise." Ditzy kissed her daughter's forehead and knelt down, spreading her wings so Dinky could climb on. Reluctantly she assented, and the family of two went out of the door and took to the snow-filled skies. Fluttershy would definitely be home right about now, so it wasn't a problem to drop Dinky off there. Fluttershy loved having Dinky around, especially since she was so calm compared to her other friends. It wasn't rare that Dinky would go off with the Cutie Mark Crusaders on some adventure of some sort, but whenever Dinky was around them the group would never get into trouble.

Maybe safeguarding others was her daughter's special talent?

"Mommy, I think you flew over Fluttershy's cottage." Oops.

Ditzy turned around and landed right in front of the yellow mare's porch, going up to the door and knocking three times.

...

"Hi Frost. Fancy seeing you here." Ditzy said dryly as she entered the post office. Sitting at the desk, as usual, was Frost, trimming her hooves. On a normal Hearth's Warming she wouldn't be at this desk, but the reason why she was this time was quickly brought up.

"Yeah, I was told that I have to stay here until you pick up the package," she explained, not taking her eyes off of her hooves, "Seeing as you're here now, though, I guess it's time I went back home. Try not to crash when on your way to Sweet Apple Acres." Frost promptly got up and left the post office before Ditzy could punch her where she sat. With a sigh, the grey mare walked over to the counter and picked up the package she was supposed to deliver.

14256 Apple Rd.
Sweet Apple Acres
Ponyville, EQ 40555

Like Frost had said, the package was meant for Sweet Apple Acres. It was quite far away from the post office; about a two hour flight. In fact, it was so far away that it had its own zip code.

Better get going now if I want to get home in time, Ditzy thought as she placed the package on her back, ran out the door, and took to the skies on her way to Sweet Apple Acres.

...

"This...isn't...fair..." Ditzy panted as she tried her best to keep flying and keep balancing the box on her back at the same time, "Why am...I the one...who has...to do all...of this?"

She had been flying for a solid hour now. Sweet Apple Acres was gigantic, and she had only now started flying over the border into the now snow-covered orchards. Fortunately, the farm was only five minutes away. She could get there if she tried hard enough.

Ditzy counted her wingstrokes to keep herself distracted from how tired she was. One up, one down, two up, two down, three up, three down, four up, four...down? Ditzy kept gliding while she desperately attempted to move her wings.

They wouldn't budge. They were stuck in place. Ditzy panicked. Her wings had never done this before. What the hay was going on?

Her wings were still stuck when she saw the barn come into view, and by now she should have gone around...except she was going at roughly eighty kilometers per hour now and could not turn. She was stuck on a straight course, and was slowly gliding down. Her hooves were almost touching the uppermost branches of the barren, leafless trees. She tucked her hooves onto her body, trying not to scrape her hooves against the trees. This only made her more aerodynamic as she accelerated, quickly advancing to the barn.

She would hit it head first if she didn't do something fast. The first option was turning, which she couldn't do. The second was snapping her wings off, which would probably be much too painful and might just end up killing her (and even if she survived she'd lose her job as she wouldn't be able to fly anymore). The third option was...

The barn was exactly one hundred feet ahead. No time to consider anything else. Option three it was.

Ditzy flipped the box into her hooves before somersaulting forwards, crashing into the side of the old barn back first. She felt shards of wood and splinters penetrate her skin before she crashed into a pile of hay. Wracked with pain, she could barely even move her body, much less her wings. Ditzy was effectively stuck in that barn until somepony came along.

After about two minutes, she saw an orange mare run into the barn. Her eyes grew wide as she saw Ditzy's bloodied state.

"I brought you a package..." Ditzy sputtered out. The mare brought a hoof to her mouth and ran out of the building. A few minutes later she came back with a large red stallion. His reaction wasn't unlike the orange mare's; his eyes grew wide before he ran up to Ditzy and lifted her onto his back.

"AJ, take the package," he said with a low, southern drawl, "Ah'll take her inside." Ditzy's vision slowly started slipping as she felt her head grow light.

"I'm so sorry Dinky..." she said slowly before closing her eyes and falling unconscious.

...

"Ah told ya we have to keep her here until she's better!" Ditzy could hear arguing as she felt her consciousness come back. The red stallion and the orange mare were yelling at each other in their strange accents. It would be slightly comical if it wasn't about such a grave issue.

"It don't matter to me what ya think, Dash said the rogue storm's comin' in two days," the orange mare retorted to the stallion, "If we can't git her back to Ponyville before then, she'll be stuck here for the rest of winter! We don't know who's waitin' for her back home. What'll we tell them once she finally comes back? 'Oh, this mare here seems to have crashed into our barn, sorry she wasn't home for Hearth's Warming!"

Hearth's Warming. If she didn't come back home she wouldn't be home for Hearth's Warming. Ditzy inadvertently let a few tears fall down her face as she thought of her daughter.

I have to be home, she silently cried to herself, I promised her... A soft sob escaped the pegasus, quickly catching the attention of an old green mare walking into the room.

"Now look what you two did! Ah betcha yer fightin' was heard all the way from Canterlot! This filly here needs her rest, don't you be disturbin' her now!" she scolded the two ponies, making their ears droop a little.

"Sorry, Granny Smith..." they both said at the same time before clearing out of the room.

The room Ditzy was in looked like a regular living room: two couches, a coffee table, and a fireplace set in the wall. Ditzy was lying down on one of the couches in the room with a blanket over her. The old mare kept a stern gaze on the two ponies who were presumably her grandchildren before walking over two Ditzy.

"Ah'm sorry about those two," she said softly, pulling the blanket over Ditzy, "They found you in our barn. You were injured pretty badly, you're lucky Big Macintosh carried you over here. Now get some rest, dear, you'll be needin' it." The mare named Granny Smith turned around and left the room herself, leaving Ditzy to be lured into the dark embrace of sleep.