• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 602 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 602

Meetings, Old and New

It was more than Fallen had dared to hope. He knew he'd only be able to use a fraction of the Beast's power but even the small sample he had to hand… it was exhilarating.

He gazed about, in the aftermath of his work. A few ponies hadn't been rescued by the princesses. Some had fled into the wastes. He hadn't pursued them. Those who came across him, however…

He looked down at the Amulet. The curious artefact was his most valuable tool. Granted, it had another limitation alongside how much of the Beast's power he was able to use. But it was a trifling matter. He could adapt to his circumstances.

In time, he would send a signal to his allies. He wanted those fortunate enough to experience it to witness the new age he would bring. Not all of them, a select few would have to guard the Hosts. Unfortunate for them but necessary. He couldn't risk leaving them unguarded, considering how likely the chances were that his foes knew where he had sequestered them away by now.

But these were small matters. For now, he would wait. After all, what was a little longer? He would be expecting another audience soon enough and he wanted to receive them appropriately.


In the throne room of Canterlot, a rather odd atmosphere had settled. By and large, everypony was happy they were all as one again. Any rifts had been either fixed or could be ignored for the meantime.

But that was only because of something much more significant that demanded their attention. Something that they would have to face soon. It was difficult to be completely happy in the face of such a thing.

Not that stopped anypony from trying, especially the pair of unicorns still held in each other's embrace.

"You know," he said when they parted, "that's the second time I've been dragged around by magic in the past fifteen minutes."

"Guilty as charged," said Trixie, coming over. "Don't worry, I didn't kiss him. He's not my type, anyways."

"Who is your type then?" asked Twilight.

"That's for me to know," replied Trixie with a wink. "The two of you are insufferable in your relationship, but it would be even worse if you split up. This was purely for my own comfort, don't read too much into it."

"Oh no, you don't!" Pinkie wrapped a foreleg around Trixie. "You should have seen her earlier, Twilight. She came in, with Dusky in tow and made sure we were all friends again when she did. No wonder she wears a cape, 'cause this pony's a hero!"

"H-Hey, don't say stuff like that!" Trixie blushed, trying to pull out of Pinkie's grip. "I-I was just-"

"Being a wonderful friend," said Fluttershy. "Thank you, Trixie. I'm sorry we didn't manage to be friends the first couple of times, but I'm glad you are now."

Trixie's whole face was red now, only worsening as everypony else agreed. Despite her obvious embarrassment, the smile creeping onto her face was plain for all to see.

"Is there always this much… emotion?" Ember asked in a quiet murmur to Gilda.

"Yeah. That's ponies for you," she shrugged. "You get used to it."

"Are you all done?" Doom barked. "Because in case you've all forgotten, Fallen Soul is on his way and I doubt he will be stopping to give his minions pep talks and cuddles."

"Way to ruin the moment, Doomie!" Trixie retorted.

"I told you not to…!" He kept his temper and grumbled, "Told you not to call me that…"

"Though I am reluctant to agree, he is correct," said Luna. "I shall leave for Ponyville and fetch the Elements. The rest of you, be prepared to move out. Discord will take us to where Soul's presence is felt the strongest. This has gone on long enough."

She vanished in a flash of starlight. A few moments later, she returned with the six necklaces and crown, bestowing them on their respective ponies.

"Oh yeah!" cheered Rainbow. "Take the Elements, blast the bad guy and come home. This'll be over in no time."

Everyone else tried to keep the same tone of confidence as they gathered around the princesses and spirit of chaos.

"Sombra, remain here with our allies. Keep Samore safe, whatever happens," ordered Celestia.

"It will be done. Be careful, my stars and moon," he added to Luna. "I've almost lost you once already today and have no desire to repeat the experience."

She exchanged a kiss with him. "My crystal king, have a little faith in me. When Soul sees me, he will wish I'd stayed in the moon."

"Hey, what about his lackeys?" asked Ember. "That bat pony, she's killed dragons and she has to answer for that."

"With any luck, Princess Ember, we will cut off the head of the snake and the rest should fall swiftly thereafter," said Celestia. "If they are present, we will round them up and bring them back. If not, I will ensure they're brought to justice for their crimes."

"For whatever pony justice looks like," she muttered.

"Alright then, folks, here we go!" Discord was suddenly in a blue suit like a flight captain. "Exits are located here, here, here, here and here." Multiple fingers pointed in every direction. "Please keep your hooves, legs and molecules inside the vehicle at all times. Enjoy the ride!"

He passed a glance to Fluttershy. She didn't look back. Shame crossing his face again, he snapped his fingers and they were gone.


It wasn't called the Frozen North for nothing. The Empire had only been one part of the expansive, snow-covered landscapes. When the Heart was empowered, it helped to keep the storms at bay. Now, with it gone, they were making a fierce comeback. You could barely see two feet in front of you through all the snow, which threatened to come right up to a pony's waist on the ground.

A small burst of light appeared amidst the storm. Seconds later, the clouds were pierced by a particularly strong beam of sunlight. It gradually spread outwards, melting the snow to reveal the barren ground beneath. On this ground stood a group of nine, all of whom were gazing off in one direction.

"He's still this far north?" asked Celestia of Discord. "I expected him to be much closer."

"What can I say? Perhaps he prefers a long walk," he shrugged.

"Or perhaps," said Luna, pointing through the fading storm, "he wished us to witness his handiwork."

They all looked in the direction she pointed. A collective gasp went up from those gathered. Hearing about it was one thing. Seeing it…

The Crystal Empire was burning. Smoke was rising into the sky from a dozen different fires. Some larger, some smaller, but all of them spreading. The crystal-formed homes were shattered completely, hollowed-out husks barely standing amidst the orange tongues. The Spire had fallen. The tower had collapsed to one side, pieces scattered everywhere and it had crushed a few more homes in the process.

For a long, long moment, none of them spoke. All of them took in the horrible sight before them. Dusk remembered not too long ago the announcement that the Empire would host the Equestria Games. The crystal ponies had all been so happy, it had triggered the Crystal Heart. He'd actually been looking forward to seeing them. Now…

"Maybe…" Fluttershy's voice was trembling. "M-Maybe there's still some crystal ponies left. W-We could try and find them, before…"

Luna grimaced sympathetically. "I'm sorry, Fluttershy. But the best thing we can do right now is to stop the one responsible."

"Is he on his way? Discord?" Celestia looked to the draconequus. "Discord, is he on his way?"

"Hmm?" The spirit of chaos had been staring out at the Empire, snapped out of it by the princess's voice. "Oh yes, he's coming. Hard to miss the little beacon you just sent out to him."

His attention turned back to the Empire. His mismatched eyes were wide and staring, his mouth hanging slack a little. He took a few steps towards it. Nopony immediately tried to follow him or bring him back. He just stood there, a good few feet away, staring.

Celestia offered them a silent look and went to join him. Luna, her mouth a thin line, followed her. The rest of them stayed behind, not really feeling up to trying to comfort Discord right now.

"Is it bad I feel a little sorry for him?" asked Rarity.

"What, because he's finally seein' that his actions have consequences?" replied Applejack. "Sorry, but ma heart ain't exactly goin' out ta him right now."

"Gone… it's all gone…" Twilight's eyes brimmed with tears. "W-We could have done something, acted sooner if we'd known. Now it's g-gone and… and all we did was sit and read books while it happened…"

"Twilight…" Dusk wrapped a foreleg around her, pulling her in close. "We didn't know what was going to happen. We couldn't have, not to mention what happened to Canterlot and Ponyville."

"He's right, Twilight." Rainbow came around her other side. "None of us would have been in any shape to do anything anyways. This isn't on you."

Twilight looked at them both, pulling them both in closer. Her wings wrapped around their backs. It was something that Dusk rather liked about them. The feathers were soft to the touch and it was like he was being protected.

It didn't do much to assuage his own guilt. He gazed out at the flames again, the ruined remains of the once beautiful city. The thought of all the crystal ponies, already gone for a thousand years, now displaced from their homes.

An image flashed in his mind. A blood-red wolf, laying waste to all, as an armoured figure watched it all. His friend, lying somewhere in the cold dark, in pain while the creature from within him was unleashed. All because Dusk had kept his stupid mouth shut…

He felt something on his shoulder. A hoof. He turned to see Pinkie, a sad smile on her face.

"This isn't on you either, Dusk," she said gently. "It'll be okay. It'll all be okay."

That brought out a small smile of his own. He wasn't sure if he completely believed her, but he appreciated it anyway. He pressed his hoof on top of hers and let her nuzzle his cheek. They all gathered around one another, providing warmth and comfort against the biting cold and the raging flames.

Not too far off, the three immortals stood. None of them could overhear what the others were discussing. The alicorn sisters were either side of their old foe. They didn't speak, not at first.

"I could fix it." Discord looked down at his fingers. "Just one snap and it's all back to normal."

Celestia nodded. "You do have that power. But first, we must treat the disease and not its symptoms."

"Hmm." Discord still stared at his fingers. "But afterwards, if I do this… will it be enough? Will it fix everything else?"

"Perhaps not everything," said Luna. "But it would be a start."

"Really, I don't see what you're all making such a fuss about," he huffed. "Fallen's just another baddie. You've got the fancy necklaces out, he'll be blasted by rainbows and then we can all go home."

"It may not be that simple, Discord," said Celestia. "You know as well as I do, the power of the Beasts. To say nothing of Fallen somehow harnessing their power."

"Well, that is a tad concerning," he admitted. "But don't forget who it was that tailored the little bit of magic that allowed you to seal them away. How many Hosts has it been now, by the way?"

Celestia grimaced. "Too many to count."

Discord chuckled. "And all for the sake of harmony. This is why I prefer chaos. Nopony to answer to but yourself and a much more fun world as a result. Until you two spoilsports showed up."

"You tormented ponies and made them your playthings," argued Luna. "You had to be stopped."

"As if your rule has been devoid of pain and suffering," countered Discord. "Not even those closest to you are exempt, are they Celestia? Your sister, her coltfriend. Even your beloved student."

"Watch your tone, knave!" barked Luna. "Don't speak of things about which you know nothing!"

"Luna," said Celestia gently. She sighed. "You're right, Discord. Try as I might, I've still made mistakes. I'm not infallible. But we learn from our mistakes, especially the ones that cause hurt to others. As you are striving to do."

Discord curled his lip in a quiet snarl. But it faded when his eyes flickered again to the seven ponies behind them. To one in particular.

"Suppose it's for the best, that it be this way," he murmured. "I don't think I was cut out for this friendship lark."

"Is that why you did it?" asked Luna.

"Probably. Unless I'm lying," he added. "I suppose I just… wanted to see what would happen. After all, like I said, what are threats to Equestria with this little group? Figured I'd give them a little nudge of sorts. If they could make it through the main course of my initial return, I thought they'd have no problem with my messy leftovers."

"Complacency is a dangerous thing," said Luna. "Life isn't always coddling to the concepts we hold dear."

Discord chuckled. "Funny. That's what the little stallion said about me. That I'm the sort of friend who helps give a sharp focus if things get too cosy."

"I felt the same way about you." Celestia giggled. "Do you remember, when Luna and I were getting all worked up about the first time we would raise the moon and sun?"

"I was not worked up!" Luna insisted. "I was the picture of calm and composure!"

"Oh no you weren't." Discord prodded her side. "You were trotting your little hooves so much, I thought you'd drill right through the floor! So, I thought to myself, 'here's two ponies that really need to just loosen up.'"

"Before proceeding to turn our shared playroom into a cavalcade of giant candies and hyperactive living furniture." Despite her stern tone, Luna was still smiling.

"Oh, it was just what we needed!" chortled Celestia. "That little hoofstool really took a liking to you, sister."

Luna tittered. "To say nothing of when that wardrobe nearly crushed you because it wanted cuddles!"

"The looks on both of your faces!" cackled Discord. "Until old Starswirl came and chased me out with a broom. Not before I made it tickle him on the way out."

"It was like that for weeks, though the place had never been so dust free."

For a few, carefree seconds, the three beings laughed. Gradually, it faded away, the distant crackling of flames filling the air again.

"Good times," Celestia murmured. "Whatever happened to them?"

"The two of you stopped being fun, that's what happened" muttered Discord. "Suddenly, it became all about order and harmony, while I was branded as chaotic and dangerous."

"We gave you every chance," argued Luna. "Things didn't have to turn out the way they did."

"And yet, they did. Because as much as you ponies love to go on about friendship and magic, in the end there's just no place for a being that simply doesn't fit into that mould." The light of the fires danced over Discord's face. "I learned a long time ago that nopony would ever truly accept me. Not really."

"Nopony at all?" asked Celestia quietly, glancing over their shoulders.

Discord did as well. Hurt flickered across his face, but he said nothing. His eyes focused on something within the flames.

Discord suddenly tensed. "He's almost here."

Celestia looked over her shoulder. Her expression told them everything they needed to know. The wielders stayed together, ready to tap into the Element's power. The two princesses and spirit of chaos stood before them, waiting.

"I see him," said Luna. "He is coming alone."

He was a speck at first. A small dot, approaching from what was left of the Empire. With every second that passed, the distance lessened. So did how small he appeared to be. With it came something else.

The cold, metal sounds of his armour. Plate that rattled like old bones. The steady 'clink, clink, clink' of his hooves on the hard ground. The fabric of his robes, billowing in the icy wind.

Another memory came to Dusk's mind. The very first time he'd told his tale, on Nightmare Night. The puppets he'd crafted in his image. When he'd seen him amidst the fires of Tube's machine at the Castle of the Royal Sisters. Even with his friends around him, a chill ran down his spine.

After what felt like an eternity, there he stood before them. Unseen eyes regarded them from within a faceless helm. Even from where they stood, Dusk could have sworn he could hear him breathing. He felt another chill. Like the armoured stallion was looking at him.

"At last." Even with his helmet, they could hear his voice clearly. "Long have I waited for this moment. Thou hast not changed a bit."

They knew he was addressing Celestia. Her expression remained immovable.

"You got taller," she returned.

"Quite so. And thee…" His helm turned slightly to Luna. "Imprisonment did not agree with thee, it seems."

"Sorry to disappoint," replied Luna.

"And thee. Mine former enemy." The helm angled a little up at Discord. "How wondrous, that thou shouldst be allied where thy once opposed."

"Times change, old boy," Discord shrugged. "On that note, I'd seriously recommend you visit a good speech coach. The whole 'thou' and 'thee' thing is so last millennium, unless you're into LARPing."

"It becomes me well enough. And thee, young one… I never forget a face."

Dusk could feel Twilight physically tense next to him. He and the others gathered around her a little closer. She took a shuddering breath and met his gaze.

"And I didn't forget you either," she replied. "The ones I love did come for me. Just like I said they would."

"Thou didst hold onto that hope. Good." They could feel his eyes, passing over them all. "I remember my own comrades. My soldiers. To be able to rely and trust in others in battle, 'tis a valuable thing indeed."

"Yeah, we met some of them," Rainbow said. "Pretty big bunch of jerks. Just like their boss."

"Thou refers to my current rank of subordinates. Yes, they are rather… overzealous in their methods. But they have their cause, as thou dost have thine own," said Fallen. "Unfortunate that they should be opposed to one another."

Rarity huffed. "Fine words, considering that you still attacked our homes and destroyed a kingdom, despite your apparent regrets."

"It is still unfortunate, but necessary. In time, thou will come to understand. If thou dost live to see it."

"The only thing we understand," said Applejack, "is yer dangerous and ya need ta be stopped. Unless yer willin' ta settle this without fightin'."

"Thy hope is almost admirable. Almost."

"Where's Ray?" Fluttershy took a couple of shaky steps forward. "What have you done with him?"

Fallen didn't answer her immediately. Instead, he held her in his gaze. To her credit, she didn't back down. Though she kept a determined expression, Dusk could see her trembling. Pinkie stood a little closer to her as well.

"He is not dead, young one. Not quite," he said. "But a sacrifice had to be made on his part, in order to tap into the power that lies within. See here, what it can do." He gestured out to the burning city. "Magnificent, is it not?"

Fluttershy stared at him in horror. She stammered over her words, shaking. Whether with fear or anger, it couldn't be easily told. But Pinkie spoke for her.

"No, it's not. It's horrible. How can you even think anypony would even want this?" Her voice held none of its usual bubbliness or cheer. "Why did you think you had to do any of this, Brave?"

Fallen's helmet turned sharply around. He started to draw his sword and everypony tensed. It hovered halfway up his sheath before slowly sliding back in.

"That is not my name," he breathed.

"But it used to be." Celestia stood across his vision. "You used to fight against exactly this kind of atrocity. You helped to end the chaos that plagued this land. The power you have, it could be used for so much more than this. Please, lay down your weapon and surrender. Don't let it continue."

She held out a hoof to him. He stared at it, then at her.

"Thou thinks that I wouldst be moved, simply to help assuage your guilt?" he hissed. "Thou thinks that I am some poor, weak thing in need of rescue? No, Celestia. That is not the narrative I have penned for myself. My story is not yours to overwrite."

"Then what is?" asked Luna. "Destruction or power for its own sake? These are hollow goals, Soul. You will never be fulfilled if you carry on down this path."

"No, I will not and that is precisely the way it should be." He looked to Discord. "When I was young, thou didst play to mine vanity and ego. I will not deny, I possessed these things in abundance. My actions were juvenile, driven by a wounded pride. But thou didst open mine eyes to one thing: under your rule, I had purpose. A goal to strive for. I believed it to be peace and harmony, but such things are naught but a finely woven web by this spider in thy midst."

He thrust a hoof towards Celestia. Once again, they all tensed. But he didn't strike at her.

"Luna and Discord, thou knowest of what I speak. I know of the dissatisfaction thou didst feel, that drove thee down this same path. A desire for recognition, for freedom, that Celestia's idea of harmony failed to provide. But thou hast allowed thyselves to be caught in the same web and can never hope to escape. I will not fall into this trap. I will not falter! Thou cannot trick me, as thou once did!"

"Dude, are you nuts?!" Rainbow yelled. "You're talking like friendship and harmony are bad things! Celestia's not perfect, but she's better than you!"

"And yet, by thine own admittance, her hooves are not clean." His foreleg passed over all of them. "Thou hast seen it. The beings that serve as hosts for the creatures whose power I command. Canst thou comprehend how many have perished over the centuries, to keep them locked away? The suffering they endured before the end, for a responsibility they did not ask for but was thrust upon them, by one who believed she knew what was best?"

"You're not any better!" shouted Twilight. "You're just using them for your own ends!"

"But thou knowest of what I speak, young princess." He lowered his hoof, looking straight at Twilight. "Tell me, didst thou have a voice in the title that was bestowed upon thee? A chance to object, in any regard? Dost thou even want it?"

Twilight faltered at this. She started to speak a few times, but cut herself off. Her wings twitched involuntarily, eyes casting about as if the answer would appear. But it didn't.

"I thought as much," Fallen said. "What I seek to bring about is not about being 'better'. I know that I will be seen as a harbinger of destruction and I welcome it. In the world I seek to build, there will be no illusions of equality or harmony. The world I foresee will be brutal, unforgiving and cruel. Every day will be a struggle, a fight to survive. Some will live and many will die. But it will be honest! It will be just! I will welcome any challenge to mine authority, for if they defeat me, then it will be a victory earned! None will be without purpose, if they only have the strength and the will to seek it!"

All of them stared, open mouthed in the face of this declaration. All of them had an inkling of what they could possibly expect from finally facing Fallen Soul, but this…

In the end, Rainbow said what they were probably all thinking.

"Yeah, you're nuts and we're going to take you down."

"I expected as much. Even you, my former master?" He turned back to Discord. "There would be a place for thee in this world, if thou wouldst take it. Do not expect mastery over me, unless thou intends to face me in battle for it. But surely, the chaos that thou dost sow would have its place. Thou didst open mine eyes to the truth, granted me the power and the will to transcend. If thou wouldst stand with me."

Every eye turned to Discord. His expression was unreadable, his arms slack by his side, regarding his former puppet. He looked at Fallen, then back at them. His eyes found Fluttershy. Even after all that had happened, her eyes were wide and beseeching. They conveyed one simple request:

Please, don't.

Discord spent an agonising moment, looking into those eyes. Then, he slowly turned back to Fallen.

"You certainly drive a hard bargain," he said at last. "But what can I say? What's the point of chaos without a little order to balance it out? Can't really break the rules if there are none, after all. A world of chaos doesn't really appeal to me as much as it used to. Certainly not the one you're describing. I found something better, even though I was a fool not to realise how precious it truly is."

He glanced at Fluttershy again, tossing her a wink. A silent sigh of relief went through them all.

"Then thou truly are entrapped," murmured Fallen. "That is… disappointing."

"As if I'd ever let myself willingly play second fiddle to anypony," replied Discord. "Besides, you're holding somepony very dear to somepony who is very dear to me. I'm afraid I can't abide that. Now, I think we've all talked long enough."

He snapped his fingers and mighty chains appeared around all of Fallen's limbs. Celestia and Luna's horns flared, casting a joint shield spell around Fallen. The armoured alicorn was already struggling against his bonds. They didn't have long.

"Everypony, now!"

The wielders stood together at Twilight's signal, tapping into the magic of their friendship. The Elements heeded the call, shining with light and raising them up. Streams of rainbow light burst from the jewels, towards Unity and passing into Magic. With radiant light engulfing them, the spell was cast and made directly for its target.

Fallen was consumed by the beams, the princesses lowering their shield to allow it to pass. Nopony watching could stare directly at the light, it was so blinding. They channelled so much into it. To rob Fallen of his stolen power, to imprison the Beasts. Whatever it took to restore what he sought to take away.

The first sign something was wrong was how long the spell was taking. In the past, the results had been near instantaneous. Ten seconds passed. Twenty. Twenty-five. Thirty. No sign of it stopping.

The second sign was the magic itself. The longer it went on, the more those gathered noticed. The rainbow light was dimming. The magic was ebbing away. Something else took its place. Faint at first, but growing with every passing moment. A steady, growing blackness which seemed to burn outward from where Fallen had stood. The rainbow seemed to feed into it, strengthening it.

Eventually, the Elements themselves began to flicker. Like a candle caught in a sudden wind. And just as the wind would that candle, the light suddenly winked out. The wielders were dropped back to earth with a harsh landing. They were all in visibly weakened states, attended to at once by Discord and the princesses.

"What… what happened?" murmured Twilight. "Did it work?"

They all looked towards where Fallen had been standing. That darkness was still there, a dome of pure black resting on the ground like a piece of the void itself.

"Maybe it did?" Pinkie suggested hopefully. "Maybe it just trapped him in a big, liquorice-flavoured bubble."

They stared at the void, trying to make out what it was. Then, something emerged from within it. What was unmistakably a pony, silhouetted against the glowing form of a spectral, bloated boar. The rainbow magic was swirling around it, now considerably dimmed and lacking any of its former warmth, before spiralling down and harmlessly into Fallen.

"The Beast of Gluttony," whispered Celestia. "No… what has he done?"

"Dost thou see now?" Fallen gestured to the boar. "The power that I now command? My new world is already taking shape and I shall mark it with thy obliteration!"

The boar faded, replaced by a frighteningly familiar sight. The Beast of Wrath, burning with perpetual rage, preparing to fire.