• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 615 Views, 3 Comments

Sometimes You Make It... - Indie Cred



Indie Cred, a failed DJ relives his past while working a dead end job.

  • ...
 3
 615

Chapter 5

Living in fear or not, he still couldn’t bring himself to go to PON-3’s show that night. He could only face so many demons at a time. He ran a comb through his mane, wincing as he pulled through the knotted mess on his head. Finally satisfied that he no longer looked like a total slob, he put on his glasses and stepped into his room. He moved over to his collection and began searching for an album. After a moment, he pulled a record from the shelf, removed it from the sleeve, and set it on the turntable. The keyboards began, followed by the singer calling out “You know that it would be untrue… You know that I would be a liar… If I was to say to you… Girl, we couldn't get much higher”

Indie lay down on his bed, staring at the ceiling, letting the music flow through him. He closed his eyes and allowed the sound to take control.

“Best. Show. Ever.” Vinyl said, leaning back in her chair, exhausted.

“That was pretty great.”

“Great?! That was amazing! Did you see how worked up we got the crowd?!”

“I’ll admit, that dueling DJs thing you came up with was a stroke of brilliance.”

“And you doubted me…” Vinyl said, feigning a hurt tone.

“Never in my life” said Indie, leaning over to kiss her on the cheek.

“We gotta think of something for next week!” Vinyl said, sitting up suddenly.

“Next week? We barely finished this show. Can’t we just enjoy the feeling of success for a little while before we go making more crazy plans?”

“Pshh… Crazy awesome more like.”

As the song ended and the turntable began to hiss, Indie sat up. He carefully put the record back in its sleeve and then replaced it on the shelf. He walked out the door and into the street again. He had to come up with something. Some way to get out of this rut he’d been in.

He turned the corner and stopped in front of the diner he’d taken her to all those years ago. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and walked inside. Nothing had changed. He hadn’t been in here since she’d left. He’d avoided pretty much everything that reminded him of her. He sat down at a booth and opened the menu, already knowing what he wanted.

“What can I getcha’ hun?” The waitress asked.

“Barley sandwich. And a coffee.”

“Alright, hun. It’ll be a few minutes.”

“Take your time.”

Indie sat in the booth, staring out the window. Ponies pulled carts down the street, walked along, laughed and joked. He felt a sorrow in himself. He began to realize how much he missed companionship of any sort. It had been so long since he’d had someone he called a friend. He had plenty of acquaintances, and more co-workers than he could count, but nobody he really talked to outside of general pleasantries.

The waitress brought his food out, winked at him, and returned to the counter to talk with the cook. Indie ate his lunch in silence, sipping slowly at the coffee. The black liquid warmed his insides and calmed him a bit more. He finished his lunch, set five bits on the table, and started out the door.

“If we keep this up, we’re bound to get noticed soon!” Vinyl said, raising the needle from the turntable and removing the record.

“If we haven’t already, that is.” Indie said, looking at a stallion in a tie with slicked back hair that had started towards them.

“Oh my gosh! That’s Colton Green!” Vinyl whispered excitedly. “And he’s coming to talk to us!”

“Shh… Don’t scare him away hon.”

“Sorry... Sorry…” Said Vinyl, still beaming.

“Well, you two have made quite a splash here, haven’t you?” Said Mr. Green. “I haven’t seen a crowd that worked up in quite a while.”

“We do our best, sir.” Said Indie.

“Well, you two are pretty good at this stuff. I’m just going to cut to the chase here, we’re looking for new talent, and after what I saw tonight… Well, let’s just say I’m not looking anymore.”

“Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!” Squealed Vinyl, hugging Indie’s neck. “We did it!”

“So, what do we need to do?” Indie said, still being choked somewhat by Vinyl’s hug.

“Just sign the contract, my boy.”

Indie and Vinyl looked at each other and smiled. A contract. This was what everyone in the music business was after. It was the pot at the end of the rainbow. The light at the end of the tunnel. It was a holy symbol that everything was going to work out.