• Published 28th Jan 2023
  • 725 Views, 50 Comments

Octavia's Last Night - Rune Soldier Dan



With Discord by her side, Octavia Melody must confront her past to save her soul.

  • ...
4
 50
 725

The Golden Roofs

Author's Note:

Small warning with this chapter in that it includes scenes of child neglect and (verbal) abuse. There won't be any more in the fic and it all rattles past fairly quickly, but FYI and etc.

They got off in gilded Canterlot, the city on the mountain. The home of the Celestial Sisters, the cultural heart of all Equestria with playhouses and concert halls to spare.

Yet no great halls or classical pillars could be seen where they stood, nor music heard. The city on the mountain, but a city all the same with poor neighborhoods and alleys filled with refuse, some of which could walk.

In their construction long ago, vain effort had been made to ensure such ill-favored places were beautiful. Stained and discolored murals adorned the outside of salt taverns, picturing myths few of the illiterate patrons even knew. White streets had long turned to full black, and decades-old potholes revealed even that to be a thin facade over mundane bricks.

It was all Discord could talk about as they trod through the fading light.

“That’s so absurd it’s not even funny. Bricks! You had to make them and haul them up a literal mountain to this insane city-sized monument to Celestia’s ego. A mountain made of… wait for it… stone! Ready for the taking! A mountain of it! I know I’m supposed to thrive on chaos but this is just wasteful to ship over some rocks when you’re standing on one with your own four hooves.”

“Discord, as fascinating as ancient architecture can be, why are we here?”

He shrugged, loping curiously along on his mismatched legs. “How should I know?”

Octavia gave the husky sign of irritation turned silently to restrained anger. “I have a few hours left before losing either my music or my soul. Chop-chop.”

“You brought us here, not me. It’s your past.” Discord scratched idly at his chest, looking around with an expression of curiosity. “Is this something you would change? Not that I don’t entirely agree, but it seems like a non sequitur to present concerns.”

Octavia wore a stone face as she gazed around. Memories tickled the back of her mind, but none very close or personal. “I grew up two blocks over. Why your train would drop us off here I have no...”

A new sound broke her words, shrill and pathetic. A baby’s wail, screeching across the battered walls.

Octavia’s false teeth clicked as her lips pushed them back in a grim smile.

“Ah. Now I get it.”

They followed the noise as it went on, unabated and uncomforted. A turn down an alley brought them to its source: a grey newborn, lying naked atop one of the dozen overfilled trash cans. Not even a basket or blanket gave her comfort, and the purple eyes bulged wide as it cried again with fading strength.

Discord’s gaze slunk over to Octavia, and her cold expression.

The baby fell quiet. Octavia spoke. “I almost remember this. Not the scene itself, but the chill breeze, the being alone.”

“You wish for your parents?” Discord asked with a rare serious expression. Yellow magic glowed around his horns. “We can see what would have happened it they –”

“No. Sweet Celestia, no.”

“Not even to know what they looked like?”

“No. Gods damn them.” Anger scrunched Octavia’s wrinkled muzzle.

“But the whole reason we’re here is to –”

“Let it go.”

“Alright, alright.” Discord wiped off the magic on his legs, blowing out and wincing as the baby unleashed a fresh cry. “So what happens next?”

Octavia glanced his way. “Don’t you know?”

“Please. You think I keep track of every Orange, Pear, and Apple in Equestria? I told you: you’re the one driving, not me.”

It made sense, not that Octavia was prepared to admit it. It felt right to get off the illusory train when she did, though no outside clue bid her so. Like an instinct, a thing always known. An acceptance of Discord’s promise to change the past, whether or not she fully believed it.

But not this part. Gods damn them.

She moved to pick up the baby, more from curiosity than sympathy. Her hooves passed right through, of course. A ghost of the past. Or was Octavia the ghost, in this place where all else was yet to come?

The clatter and clang of a falling trash can broke her musings. She smiled thinly and turned to the drunken mare who had stumbled into the alley. Curly haired and with a patched black and white coat like a cow, the stranger pushed one hoof into the wall as she retched on the sideways can.

The duo watched in silence as the mare belched, snorted back a noseful of phlegm, and vomited again over several long, awkward seconds.

“You like jokes, don’t you?” Octavia said dryly. “Here’s the punchline.”

“Pardon?”

A fresh cry snapped the mare’s head upwards. She staggered over to the baby, red eyes wide with revelation, salt-dried lips mumbling improvised words of care as she scooped up and wrapped the young Octavia in her own stained neckerchief.

Octavia took in a slow breath. Her frown returned as she took in the scene with grumpy indifference.

“Peela Pear. My mother. Well, the only mother I ever had.”

Octavia willed the vision forward. Strangely, the world complied. They saw the bath in the moldy sink, the tiny apartment she would learn to call home.

They saw the crate that was her crib. The filly babbled innocently, watching as her mother hustled out with bits jangling in her saddlebag.

“Mama needs a break, sweetie. Be good, and stay there with your friends.”

Her ‘friends’ were a toy metal truck and stuffed bear, both with enough strings and bits to choke an infant to death. The night passed in darkness as Octavia cried and slept and cried, with a filling diaper and empty stomach. And she kept crying when Peela returned, drunk and staggering, to collapse on the couch.

Thrown bottles shattering against the wall. Missed meals. Threats to ‘Put you back in that alley where I found you.’

Birthday parties with cheap cakes. Trips to free concerts in the nearby park. And when the stars aligned and Peela did go shopping, and did think to cook…

Octavia swallowed, somehow tasting the low, oozing sweetness of pot-roast pears. How long had it been?

“She tried,” Octavia said grudgingly. Her eyes grew wet. She wiped them, and they hardened. “She shouldn’t have. Orphanages do better, but Peela was an idiot. She talked stupidly about how ‘fate’ brought me here, how I was her ‘second chance.’”

“I see,” Discord said delicately.

“Her real daughter was ‘Octavia Melody,’ too,” Octavia sighed. “Peela made me go on visits to the gravestone. Dead at three months old.”

Her face twisted into something darker than anger, just for a moment. “She said the baby got sick, but you’ve seen how she is.”

“That’s not really a Pear-ish kind of name.”

They watched an argument brew as four-year-old Octavia learned the words to yell back.

“Canterlot isn’t a Pear-ish place,” Octavia said, watching blandly as a bottle was thrown. “She left the farm to be an actress, caught up in the romance of Canterlot’s fairy tale. She ended up working for whatever restaurant or bakery hadn’t fired her yet, eternally convinced that her big break was just around the corner. Not that she attended try-outs or acting classes or anything like that.”

Her eyes moved to the side, to the window. From here, they could see the golden roofs of mansions in other parts of the city.

“That is something I learned from her. It’s not enough to want your dreams. You must lunge for them.”

An empty house, and empty cupboard. Young Octavia knocked over the trash can for wilted cabbage leaves Peela had thrown out.

Enough.

“This,” Octavia hissed. “I didn’t need this. No one does. Even she didn’t. Peela could have made a good living, could have… hmph.”

She turned to Discord, waved dismissively to the scene. “Well? Fix it.”

“Fix it?” he repeated, with a smirk and raised eyebrow.

“You said we could change how things occurred. Take away the poverty, the neglect. We’re in Canterlot, for goodness’ sake. Let it be Canterlot for me.”

Yellow magic glowed around Discord’s horns. The smirk twisted mischievously at its corners, then grew into a full smile.

“You really think it’s that easy, don’t you?” He chuckled lowly, ending it with a girlish giggle. “Oh, sweet Celestia! What fools your ponies be.”

Octavia opened her mouth to question, but his talons snapped, and it all vanished from sight.

And there she was, in the alley with the crying infant.

Dusk was only beginning. Peela was still at the bar. But here came a pair of wealthy ponies, having missed their carriage and now quite lost as they wandered their way home. A large unicorn with a bowler hat and jovial mustache, and an earth pony in a silk green dress.

They heard the cries, ran forward with shouts of sympathy and dismay, but also wonder. The mare could not bear children, and Octavia became their miracle that day. They brought her home, bathed her, loved her. As did their loyal servants, whom they always treated well. Octavia grew into a fine Canterlot mare – cultured, vapid, spoiled. She took cello lessons, but they were squeezed between ballet, painting, and long beach-side vacations.

The years passed, flowing quickly like a river in spring. She caught the eye of Concerto of all ponies, and he caught hers. A mediocre musician, but of a prestigious band in a city that valued pedigree more than talent. His family was rich, and her father approved. They would sometimes put on little concerts together for the family at Hearth’s Warming, but as time went by her cello became a novelty to be dusted by servants. She had three wonderful children, and all loved each other in the way rich ponies do. Not without warmth or depth of affection, certainly, but as the children grew up all became generally content to see each other on holidays and funerals.

Her cancer was caught and treated early by the best doctors in Canterlot. The mare aged gracefully and died in peace. The funeral was touching, then it ended.

And Octavia was alone.

She stared at the mare in the casket, could not bring herself to call her ‘Octavia.’ Even dead she looked ten years younger. An emerald gem was clasped at her neck. The lines on her face were soft, the dimples wide from a lifetime of smiles.

Octavia ran a hoof along her own cheek. The bones were gaunt, the lines like iron trenches. She had pushed herself so long, so hard.

A claw settled on her back. She did not startle.

“Is this what you want?” Discord asked. A mocking tone hung in the words.

“What about my music?” she said.

“You saw.”

“Yes, I did.” Octavia’s old, stony discipline began to return.

The stranger in the casket. The old, rich grandmother. A talent for music, yes, but there were too many distractions, too much for a proper lady of Canterlot to learn and do.

She closed her eyes, remembered the free concerts Peela had brought her to. The crisp black suits of the musicians, the magic as they worked cat-hair rods across tools of string and wood to make the most beautiful sounds she had ever heard. She remembered babbling excitedly on the way home, begging Peela to take her again.

And… Peela did, didn’t she? Every Saturday that summer, and the next.

“Passion does not occur accidentally,” Discord said, flippant despite his words. “It needs focus, attention. Nurturing and planning in quiet moments. Even desperation, one might claim. After all, if the talent doesn’t really matter then it will never become more than a hobby.”

“I don’t need a friendship lesson,” Octavia said, her voice graveled and dull. She sighed, shook her head, and turned away from the stranger.

“No. Not this.” She swallowed hard, growing a little stronger. “What good would this be, if I lost all my music? I might as well have accepted Tirek’s offer and been done with it. A less comfortable life than… her, but we’re both dead all the same.”

A steadying breath. “Take me back. We’ll change something else.”

Discord said nothing. The darkened parlor faded into a dingy apartment.

Then a schoolroom. Octavia saw herself in a prim black skirt with books stacked upon her back. The classroom was spacious, the teachers stern and attentive. Other students chafed under their uniforms, but Octavia loved it. A step closer to those magnificent maestros in black.

Canterlot’s public schools had an abundance of wealthy patrons. Her band room was a paradise. The instruction… less so. Forty minutes a day, structured songs with every emphasis placed on simply playing the correct note on the sheet. Stringed instruments were for older children – she was assigned bongo drums.

So she stole books for cellos and violins, studying them when she should have been doing math. Rulers slapped her fetlock, then again when she came in a dirty uniform, and again when she stole a lunch without hoofing over her half-bit.

But progress came. Her first time playing a violin in class was hailed as borderline prodigy. The teachers didn’t know she had been sneaking in for months to practice.

“Do you feel guilty over that?” Discord asked.

Octavia glanced towards him. “Of course not, I was seven.”

Discord shot her a winning smile. “It’s impressive how little you’ve changed, don’t you think? Even then you were an obsessive little musical bulldozer.”

They were back in the dingy apartment, in a screaming argument. Peela had broken the violin Octavia brought home, and she wouldn’t be trusted with another.

Anger crossed Octavia’s face, but it faded. “That’s another thing I got from her. We lived in Canterlot, but it wasn’t ‘Canterlot.’ You know what I mean. It wasn’t the city on the mountain, the answer to our dreams. Yet we still believed in it. We knew the squalor we lived in was unnatural, unworthy. Distinct and separate from the gold roofs outside our windows, where we would one day belong.”

A bottle crashed.

Then a beat-up, secondhand violin appeared in the apartment, though the water went off for a few days. It came without the bow, but the school had plenty and no one noticed when one disappeared.

The school. Worried-looking adults asked eight-year-old Octavia pointed questions. She knew they wanted to take her away from Peela, so she lied.

The principal’s office. Ponies kept offering tissues she didn’t want, looking down on her with mournful sympathy. Ten-year-old Octavia listened woodenly as they explained that normally she would have to go to the orphanage (and they were so sorry to have to say it like that), but thanks to a Blueblood-family donor there was a small dormitory for ponies like her. She could gather her things and go right there.

Octavia’s eyes blurred. She wiped them, found herself in the apartment. The young Octavia simply stood there, crying without sound. There was nothing to gather. The violin fell apart a long time ago.

A slow, almost whistling breath out sounded behind Octavia. She glanced back to see Discord awkwardly scratching his elbows, looking everywhere but towards her.

She caught his eyes, and he smiled weakly. “What did it?”

“Take a wild guess,” Octavia grumbled.

She turned, finding herself a little earlier in time. Peela promised to get her another violin, but she had been promising that for months. Octavia whined, and Peela reminded her she was adopted and was really ‘owed’ nothing at all. Peela stormed out in search of a bar, and the carriage hit her on the way home. This was the last Octavia ever saw her.

“You idiot,” Octavia hissed to the slamming door.

A little earlier. The idiot asleep drunk on the couch. Octavia glared down her nose at it.

Discord gave a very quiet cough. “Do you… hate her?”

“I used to,” Octavia admitted. She released a breath, and the sharp anger in her eyes turned dull. “I forgave her a long time ago. She tried. She failed. That is all.”

Asleep, Peela looked at peace with the whole world. Octavia felt tears return to her eyes. She reached down, and some kindness in the illusion let her touch Peela’s cheek. The mare smiled drowsily and leaned into her hoof.

Octavia let it rest there, just for a moment. Then she pulled away, looked away. She could take no more.

Her voice broke. “I don’t think I love her. Is that wrong?”

“I am entirely unqualified to answer,” Discord replied.

Octavia gave a breathless laugh. “Coward.”

“Got me in one.”

She pressed on, away from the apartment. Forever. She stood in her black uniform before the dorm, staring up towards it. A pleasant, new building with clean sheets, flushing toilets, and a stocked cafeteria. Sad and ironic as it was, Octavia’s life would be better here.

So much better.

Then a shout came. Cheerful, bright, and loud; a sun rising through memory and time.

“Hey! Hey, you!”

Still shaken by their mother’s death, Octavia young and old startled and stared as a newcomer ran up behind them. A pure white unicorn, with wild blue hair and pink eyes like gemstones in the same uniform as Octavia.

“You’re moving here too, right? I’m Vinyl Scratch!”

A white fetlock wrapped around the young Octavia’s neck and pulled her into an immodest cheek-to-cheek nuzzle. The child stammered and mumbled, while the old Octavia watched with wide eyes and a hoof over her mouth.

“Quick, let’s get in and pick out our rooms. I don’t want to be next to any boys.”

The young mare trembled with energy and excitement, pulling Octavia rapidly in her wake.

Octavia laughed out loud, hard enough to send coughs through her withered lungs. How comical! How amazing children are, that they simply approach one another and declare, ‘You are my friend.’ That was how it began. An assertive declaration which Octavia was too confused to decline.

She remembered full well their antics that day, and watched with childlike glee. Led by Vinyl, they went for a ride in the dryer, jumped on the beds, and threw paper airplanes off the balcony. They got scolded and spent an hour after dinner washing dishes, but every time their eyes met they burst out laughing, both of them. Octavia couldn’t remember ever laughing so hard before, but there she was: squealing, begging Vinyl to stop because her sides felt ready to explode. And of course Vinyl sneaked into her room that night and made a tent out of their sheets to play at camping.

Octavia laughed so hard as she watched them, jumping and throwing her hoof into the air like a child herself whenever they found triumph. It was easy to get swept along, but Vinyl was like that. She always was.

Octavia was still laughing when she began to cry.