• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 464 Views, 4 Comments

The other Ponyville (G3/G1 crossover) - Peace Petal



Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Shady, and Gusty leave Equestria but accidentally find themselves in another Ponyville. The ponies here a little weird, but they're willing to help them try to finally get home to Dream Valley.

  • ...
 4
 464

Chapter Three

Gusty, Fizzy, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash were traveling by balloon for about half a day. Fizzy was sleeping for most of the trip. Gusty made conversation with Pinkie and Rainbow. She noticed that they had a rather particular way of speaking. She was certain Pinkie had said the phrase “absolutely, definitely, positively” at least three times, and Rainbow Dash kept using the word “dashing.” They both enjoyed listening to Gusty’s stories of all the adventures she had lived through.

Their conversation halted when the wind shifted. “Oh, this won’t do,” Rainbow said. “We’ll pass right by Unicornia if this wind keeps up. We’ll have to land and wait for it to change.”

“Maybe not,” Gusty said. “Which way are we going?” Rainbow pointed. Gusty activated her horn, straining. It was much easier for her to make a gust straight out of her horn. To control the air around her and influence the wind on a larger scale was a tall order.

Her horn wavered for a moment, and it seemed she might be unable to manage it. But reluctantly the wind shifted directions. “Wow, that’s amazing!” Pinkie said. “You just changed the wind?”

“Only around the balloon, but yep,” Gusty said, her horn still whirring. “How far is it to Unicornia?”

“Oh, not far now,” Rainbow said. “At this pace we’ll be there in an hour.”

“Oh, great,” Gusty said, straining from using her horn so hard. “We might have to land after all. I don’t know if I can keep this up.”

“You’re doing marvelously,” Rainbow said. “Don’t feel the need to push yourself too hard.” Gusty’s horn was sore after several minutes. Just when she was about to tell the others that she needed to rest, however, the resistance she felt in the air lessened drastically. She let go of the spell and realized that the wind had shifted back in the way they wanted to go.

“You got us to a new airstream,” Pinkie said. “Your magic is absolutely, definitely, positively great!”

Soon a castle was in view ahead, nestled atop a mountain. It was painted with a rainbow motif, and the roofs seemed to glitter and sparkle in the sun. Most impressive was the dome at the top, made entirely of crystal that refracted the light in rainbow patterns. A town was built on the lower slopes of the mountain. “Welcome to Unicornia!” Rainbow Dash said happily. “Isn’t it dashing?”

Gusty used her magic to help guide the balloon to a field near the castle. As they landed, a unicorn filly, pink with rainbow colors in her mane and tail, was first to greet them. “Hi, Rainbow Dash!” she said excitedly. “Hi, Pinkie Pie! Who are your friends? I’ve never seen them around Unicornia before. But they’re unicorns, aren’t they?”

“My name is Gusty,” she said. She waited for Fizzy to introduce herself, but nothing happened. She turned and saw that Fizzy was still standing in the basket, dozing. “Fizzy, we’re here!” Gusty barked.

There was a burst of bubbles and a yelp. “I’m awake!” she said.

“Did you sleep well?” Gusty said sarcastically.

“Yeah, I feel great!” Fizzy said, missing the sarcasm completely. “Whoa, look at that castle!”

“Hi, I’m Rarity,” the unicorn filly said. “What’s your name?”

“Fizzy,” she said.

“Have you two ever been to Unicornia before?” Rarity said.

“Nope,” Gusty said.

“This is great!” Rarity said, eyes glowing. “You’ve arrived just in time. We’re having the Rainbow Lights Party tonight.”

“Oh, really?” Rainbow Dash said ecstatically. “I had forgotten that was today!”

“Please, let me show you around!” Rarity said. Before Gusty could respond, Rarity took off singing.

“Welcome, Fizzy; welcome, Gusty
How I hope you’ll stay a while
Our Crystal Castle is so shiny
I’m sure it will make you smile!”

She was running off towards the castle, so Gusty ran to follow her. She tried to interrupt. “Wait, we need—”

“The Dome is where we make our rainbows
Then we send them everywhere
Pink and purple, blue and yellow
It’s a duty we must share!”

Gusty noticed that many of the buildings and trees had strings of lights draped on them. They had gotten all the way to the Crystal Castle now, and Rarity rushed inside. Gusty followed, entering a large, open chamber with the sparkly, almost iridescent crystal dome as the roof. Gusty said, “Do you know—”

“They chose me as the Rainbow Princess.
This wand, it is—”

“WE NEED THAT!” Gusty shouted, her voice echoing in the open chambers of the castle. She wasn’t really in the mood for a song. Rarity paused in the middle of twirling a wand with a star shape at the end, which glowed a soft pink. “We need magic that can help us get home, and we think the wand may help.”

“Rarity, what is going on in there?” a voice called from a chamber to the side. Into view came a purple unicorn mare with a pink mane.

“Hey, Cheerilee,” Rarity said. “I was just showing some newcomers around.”

“Well it sounds like they’re trying to talk to you,” Cheerilee said. “Maybe wait until the conversation is over before breaking out into song?”

“Sorry I interrupted you,” Gusty said. She felt the pressure of time considering none of their friends knew they were, and they may be in a panic. Plus, Wind Whistler and Shady got a head start towards Butterfly Island since Gusty’s group had needed to pick up Rainbow Dash first. “But we heard that Princess Rarity has a wand that can teleport ponies. We’re not from around here; in fact, we’re pretty sure we’re not even from this world at all. So we definitely can’t walk home.”

“Well… I don’t know a lot about the wand, really,” Rarity said. “My position as the Rainbow Princess is ceremonial, mostly. Every year they choose a new young unicorn to be the one who helps make the first rainbow of the season and who uses the magic wand to make more rainbows after the first. So I make the rainbows, but I’m really no expert.”

“I know something about the wand,” Cheerilee said. “But this bit about another world seems beyond me. We might have to look through the library to see what kind of magic would be relevant.”

“Oh, great,” Gusty said. “More books.”

“I don’t know a lot about magic, but I’d be glad to help you look,” Pinkie Pie said.

“Would someone like to keep Rarity… entertained while we look through the library?” Cheerilee said.

“I’d love to!” Fizzy said. “I want to hear the rest of that song.”

“If the Rainbow Lights Party is tonight, you three are going to need gowns,” Rainbow Dash said. “I’ll find something that suits your colors and sizes.”

Gusty sighed and said, “I’ll help look through the library.” After their crash study session in Equestria, she knew more about interdimensional teleportation magic than she had ever hoped to know.

“This dome is so pretty!” Fizzy said behind her. “It’s like a giant bubble!”

“Technically it’s called the Crystal Dome,” Rarity said. “I ran out of syllables in the song. And the castle is called the Crystal Rainbow Castle…”

Gusty followed Cheerilee into the library and shut the door to keep out the noise. That was one energetic filly. And they had made her a princess? This place was weird.

* * *

Wind Whistler trotted down the street, her hooves clacking on the cobblestone. It was a warm, sunny day with a breeze that carried a pleasant, salty scent that she vaguely seemed to recognize. Birds called overheard in clear voices, and there was a rushing sound in the distance. Wind Whistler followed the sound down a narrow road wedged between three-story buildings. The view opened up as she got to the next block, revealing a flat, blue expanse beyond the next street. The water glittered in the sunlight, and waves rushed up to the base of the cliff beyond the street, crashing against the rock in splashes of white foam. It was the sea. Wind Whistler had only seen it on one other occasion, at Butterfly Island.

This street was busier than the last. Earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi walked by, many of them looking at these… things as they walked. Small boxes with a glowing face. Some kind of magic device, perhaps? Wind Whistler could only guess their purpose. She noticed a small crowd forming ahead. She drew closer and tried to get a spot where he could see. “You say your name is Posey?” a voice said incredulously. Wind Whistler’s ears perked up. “This is unbelievable.”

“I’m sorry, but that really is my name,” a gentle voice said. That was an unmistakably familiar voice.

“Posey!” Wind Whistler called. She tried to shove her way to the front of the crowd. To her surprise, she just… slipped through. Now she could see what was going on. A yellow earth mare with a pink mane stood with a dissatisfied expression, and facing her was Posey. She also had a yellow coat and pink mane. The two were mainly distinguishable by their manestyles and the other pony’s necklace. They even had similar flowered flank symbols, as well as green tail bows. Next to Posey were Galaxy, Ribbon, and Whizzer. “What seems to be the problem?” an earth pony stallion with a badge and a light amber coat said.

“Galaxy, Ribbon, Whizzer, Posey!” Wind Whistler called. Nopony seemed to hear her.

“This pony is trying to steal my identity!” the other yellow pony said, pointing a hoof at Posey.

Wind Whistler pursed her lips and let out a piercing whistle that echoed off the nearby buildings. No one even looked at her. This is a dream, she suddenly realized. And apparently she could not influence events.

“How do you know that?” Whizzer said. She was a pink pegasus with piercing aquamarine gem eyes. “What’s your name?”

“Posey Bloom,” the yellow pony said.

“Well how old are you?” Whizzer said.

“What?” Posey Bloom said. “You can’t just ask a mare her age!”

“Well if we can’t figure out who was born first we can’t prove one is copying the other,” Whizzer said, speaking so quickly that the words and sentences rolled together. “If we can’t prove one is copying the other it’s probably just a coincidence, in any case I’ve known Posey for a long time and I can vouch for her, she’s not trying to copy you, she’s gone by this name all her life, maybe this just means you two are destined to become friends, in any case it’s something you should find interesting or at least it shouldn’t be upsetting I think you’re just being touchy and I—”

“Get out of my face,” Posey Bloom said, for Whizzer had advanced quite close.

“Posey, I don’t know what’s going on, but it doesn’t sound like she’s breaking any laws,” the pony with the badge said. “Are you four coming here to stay?”

“No, we won’t be here for long,” Galaxy, a dark pink, twinkle-eyed unicorn said.

“Well then there shouldn’t be a problem,” the badge pony said. “Just stay out of each other’s way, stay calm, don’t cause any trouble.” Posey Bloom scowled but walked off. “Alright, everypony!” the badge pony called. “Get about your day. There’s nothing to see here.” The crowd started to disperse.

“Thank you, sir,” Wind Whistler said.

As she was speaking, Posey said, “Thank you, Sheriff Hitch.” Right, no one could hear her.

“No problem,” Hitch said. “What are you four in town for? Can I help you with anything? I know my way around Maretime Bay pretty well.”

“Well, maybe I better show you,” Ribbon said. She was a unicorn with a blue coat and a sandy mane with a red streak. Her horn glowed blue, and Hitch jerked back.

“You’re from outside Equestria?” he said in disbelief. Ribbon had sent him a telepathic message. “What was that rainbow-looking… thing?”

“We don’t know, but it took us here,” Ribbon said.

“And we’re not just from another land,” Galaxy said. Her horn lit up, and she closed her eyes. “Something about this place feels very different. I think we’ve been transported to an entirely different planet or maybe even universe.”

“And you’re looking for your friends, the four you showed me?” Hitch said.

“Yes,” Ribbon said.

“I haven’t seen them,” Hitch said. “But I can ask around and put up a notice. But you know who could be more helpful? Pipp Petals. She has—”

“Here!” a voice called from above. “I’m here.” A pegasus landed next to them. She was short, chunky, and pink, with a tiara in her violet mane. “I saw ponies posting about the newcomers, and I had to come meet them.”

Whizzer, Galaxy, Posey, and Ribbon introduced themselves. Pipp squealed excitedly. “Oh. My. Glitter! I adore your tail bows.” All four of them had tail bows, white for Whizzer and Ribbon, blue for Galaxy, and green for Posey. “And your eyes!” She focused on Whizzer and Galaxy, the twinkle-eyed ponies. “They’re stunning!”

“Thanks but we need help,” Whizzer said rapidly. “We came here looking for friends of ours.”

“If they’re anywhere in Maretime Bay, Zephyr Heights, or Bridlewood Forest, the Pippsqueaks will find them,” Pipp said. She raised her… glowing box device and pointed it at Whizzer. “Say hello to my new friend, Whizzer, Pippsqueaks!” she said.

“Hello,” Whizzer said.

“She’s looking for some friends that have gone missing,” Pipp said. “Can you describe them?”

“Let’s see, there’s Gusty, a white unicorn mare…” Whizzer started chattering.

Ribbon turned to Hitch and quietly said, “Do you have a map?”

“I can get one,” Hitch said. “Let me run over to the station.” He took off at a gallop.

“Wait, all four of them have tail bows like yours?” Pipp said.

“Yep Ribbon made them for all of us,” Whizzer said. “Gusty’s and Shady’s are pink…”

Wind Whistler noticed Hitch already galloping back towards them. That was fast. He looked up at one of the birds and called out, “Thanks, Kenneth!” He had a rolled up piece of paper, which he now unrolled to show to Ribbon.

Then the dream took a turn for the surreal. After Wind Whistler had gone ignored through the whole dream, suddenly Ribbon looked right at her, teal eyes making contact. She tilted her head towards the map. Hitch looked off towards Wind Whistler, confused, clearly unable to see her. She stepped forward and looked at the map. Unfortunately, she didn’t know any of the locations. Maritime Bay, Bridlewood Forest, Zephyr Heights, a few smaller towns. Wind Whistler looked up at Ribbon. She began to say, “I don’t recognize any—”

The dream suddenly ended. The pegasi of Butterfly Island customarily slept in trees, and Wind Whistler nearly found herself falling out of the tree she had perched in. What a strangely detailed dream. Those weird little boxes, the Posey doppelganger, a whole map of unfamiliar locations. How had her mind dreamed up all those odd little details? And the way Ribbon had… Ribbon! “Of course!” Wind Whistler said aloud, springing out of the palm tree and landing on the ground.

“Huh?” Shady, who had slept under the tree, stirred.

“Ribbon was trying to reach me telepathically,” Wind Whistler said, excited by what felt like a eureka moment. “I should have realized it the first time. That dream seemed unusually vivid, but what really should have tipped me off was Ribbon. In the dream I relived a conversation that I had in real life with Paradise, but in the dream Ribbon was there too.”

“What are you talking about?” Shady said, bleared-eyed.

“Ribbon sent me a telepathic message,” Wind Whistler said. “This one had a much clearer purpose. Perhaps the first one barely got through. Ribbon, Galaxy, Whizzer, and Posey were looking for us in a place called ‘Equestria,’ but it didn’t look like the first Equestria we visited. It sounds like they came through a portal as well. Ribbon shoved me a map of the area they were in, but nothing was familiar to me.”

“Are you sure it wasn’t just a dream?” Shady said.

“I’m certain,” Wind Whistler said. “They mentioned a…” She tried to recall the exact wording. “‘Rainbow-looking thing’ that took them to where they were. This seems significant. We still don’t know how that first portal formed. And consider this: The pegasi here said they were attacked by a strange, flying creature that came through the Rainbow Waterfall. Could it be that they had never seen anything like it because it didn’t originate from this world? What if it came through a similar portal? This is just a hypothesis, but the portals have rainbow colors, and likewise the Rainbow Waterfall. We already know the Rainbow Waterfall is a portal. What if it temporarily acted as a link to another world and let that flying creature in?”

“It’s an interesting possibility,” Star Catcher said, landing beside them.

“How much did you hear?” Wind Whistler said.

“Just the hypothesis,” Star Catcher said.

“Have you heard of locations called Maretime Bay, Bridlewood Forest, or Zephyr Heights?” Wind Whistler said.

“I’m afraid not,” Star Catcher said.

“I received a telepathic message from one of our unicorn friends,” Wind Whistler said. She started filling Star Catcher on what she had learned from the dream. They had spent much of yesterday afternoon discussing the mechanics of the Rainbow Waterfall and how they might be used to achieve interdimensional transportation, but they reached no conclusions.

“This new information gives me an idea,” Wind Whistler said. She had learned much of interdimensional theory during their scouring of the Canterlot Library in Equestria. “Could we use the falls’ magic to trace where the flying creature came from?”

“If it isn’t the same place you’re from, I don’t see how that helps,” Star Catcher said.

“It’s a start towards achieving interdimensional travel,” Wind Whistler said. “And there is the possibility that the flying creature came from the same world as us. I can think of several types of aggressive flying creatures in Ponyland.”

“Well, it’s worth a try,” Star Catcher said.