• Published 2nd Jun 2022
  • 1,243 Views, 58 Comments

In Reflection, The Same - Faedelaide



Twilight converses with a voice in the ice who claims to be... Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
3
 58
 1,243

Elementary

"I'm sorry you three couldn't find anything of substance. If you'd like, You're all more than welcome to peruse any of our local libraries, maybe they'll have the thing you're looking for," Cadance hummed.

She, Shining Armor, and the trio sat around a small table, each of them enjoying a well prepared late afternoon supper. Twilight poked her food dejectedly. She was surprised to have learned that she passed out all of a sudden, only for Gillian to wake her and state that. yet again, their work was for naught. At least the thin, honeydew griffon seemed in better spirits than when they got here. Though as much as she was relieved to see the effects of seeing the Wall's inhabitants weren't permanent, She couldn't help but grow increasingly anxious at the ever encroaching inevitability of its collapse.

Her recent unconscious episode, which was already odd on its own, was only the tip of the iceberg of weird circumstances. Ever since the three of them left the study, Gillian was constantly glancing in Twilight's direction. Rainbow seemed to be the same, but she seemed... confused? She and Gillian had been whispering to each other almost the entire time during dinner, and Twilight's paranoia continued to climb.

She couldn't remember anything from the past few hours. Had she blacked out or something? What if she started sleep talking again? Maybe she did something worse.

No, that couldn't be it. They would have told her if she did something wrong, wouldn't they?

Of course they wouldn't. They didn't trust her. They feared her.

But Rainbow Dash wouldn't think that way, why would she-

"They hate you. You know they hate you. You believe this completely."

Twilight had to hold back a gasp. Her thoughts were becoming a lot more intrusive than she would have liked. Her head felt so cloudy recently, and she couldn't for the life of her understand why. Maybe she needed some sleep...

The sound of Gillian's voice snapped Twilight out of her contemplation. "It's really no problem, Miss... uh... Cad'nce. I know Twilight's gonna send a letter t'Celestia 'n then we'll be headin' back to Griffonstone tomorrow," The wiry griffon turned her head towards the absentminded princess, who's only response was to blink and nod.

"It's alright, Gillian, was it? I understand that this situation has taken a toll on my sister's health, more so than I or Shining Armor are comfortable with, but I also understand this mission's importance," Cadance turned to Twilight, her eyes brimming with purpose and resolve, "Just remember that we are here to help you, no matter what. We will always be here to guide you Twilight, so don't be afraid to ask for help."

Twilight nodded silently again. She didn't have anything to say, and she certainly wasn't going to ask for help just yet, especially not from her.

Wait, why not? She loved her family, and with what little knowledge she had, it might be a good idea to-

The same choking pressure snaked its way across her train of thought, thus declaring that this particular argument was already over. She rubbed her head as the painful feeling She hated this feeling, and yet it seemed to become more malicious as the days went by. She desperately hoped it didn't have anything to do with the ice.

All of a sudden, the other four creatures rose from their seats, with Gillian having nearly thrown herself into the air with the speed at which she stood up. The griffon's wing fidgeted slightly as she turned to the crystal princess and as Gillian's wing twitched, Twilight could swear she saw the corner of something hidden under her pale green feathers.

"Oh, before we head t'sleep, would y'mind if I had a quick talk with you in private, Princess?"

"Oh. uh, I don't see why not," Cadance uttered in surprise.

"Thanks. Rainbow, you can uh... escort Twilight to 'er room, right?"

"Yeah, I got it covered." Rainbow swirled into the air and hovered next to Twilight as she slowly rose from her chair. "C'mon Twi. I'm sure the guest bedrooms have plenty of books for you to read before you go to sleep."

Twilight watched as Cadance, Shining Armor and Gillian walked away into the castle's shining crystal halls while her friend ushered her towards her bedroom. There was something off about what was going on, but she couldn't place every bit of it. Instead she decided to confront the oddity that lay before her.

"You seem oddly concerned about my wellbeing," Twilight spoke tactlessly.

Rainbow's eyes widened in shock. "I'm always concerned about your wellbeing, Twilight, especially now."

"Well you've been kinda... distant since we started this trip. You've been keeping to yourself for the most part, but now you're talking with Gillian and escorting me to my own room. What's happening?"

"Well Gillian-" Rainbow suddenly paused, stopping in place as an anxious expression graced her face. Her eyes darted around at nothing in particular for a moment, then she spoke again. "Gillian uh... talked some sense into me. I didn't really take this mission very seriously at first. I was really only excited to see Gilda again, but then I saw the Wall. It was that, and Gillian told me about how worried she was about you. I never saw it until now, but I do want to help you Twi."

Rainbow landed next to her friend and offered her a hug. Twilight accepted, and the two stood embraced for a moment in the silence of the crystal halls.

Twilight stepped back from Rainbow, relieved that she still had friends that cared about her. "Thanks Dash."

"Of course. Do you know where your room is?"

"Yeah, I can make it from here. Have a nice night."

"You too," Rainbow Dash waved to her friend, then bolted into the air and down the hall.

Twilight watched with scrutinous eyes as the cyan mare zoomed away until she could no longer see her. She let out a snort. To think they could fool her, there was no way they really believed they could pull it off. they were up to something, but what it was she didn't yet know. But by Boiuna she was going to find out what they were up to, and when she did, not even Celestia would save them then.