• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 229 Views, 5 Comments

Catching Up - BronzeLoki



A new age is coming, one of metal and machine. What does an old stallion do when the world he's known is changing?

  • ...
 5
 229

Railroading - 2

"Don't mean to worry you, but we've got a train to catch!", Raven flew ahead down the almost empty streets of the village, swinging up into a hover only to see Fields far behind. His attempts to hurry Fields were constantly thwarted by genial conversations between the old stallion and seemingly everypony in the village and it was only a matter of time before the train would reach the station. He flapped his wings, gliding to the side of the stallion, landing with the agitated tapping of his hoof on the cobbled streets.

The village was a sleepy place, only ever really picking up during holidays such as Nightmare night or the Hearths warming celebration, yet it had a charm that Fields embraced with every visit. The streets were far from bustling, but the ponies that did trot along them always greeted him with a short wave or a quick 'Good morning'. They were the type of ponies you could depend on, the type to make even the most outcast of newcomers welcome, the type to help out just for the sake of it. Shandy ran the local bar, Ginger Ale never strayed too far from a bottle of scotch, Rusty and Dusty were always playing in the streets, Rhubarb baked fresh pastries in the morning, Treble exercised his skill with a banjo on his porch and Fields was just another part of the tightknit community they had created. He knew everypony and everypony knew him, It was hard to feel out of place.
"We need to hurry, Mr Fields!" Raven flapped his wings and flew into the air ahead of Fields. The pegasus glanced at the village's clock tower a sudden wave of worry washing over him, "The train will be here any second!".

"And we'll be at the station any second now won't we?" Fields remarked, continuing to trot at the same tempered pace. The station was just in view when a low pitch whistle broke the silence, followed by high pitched metal screeching. Before a word could escape Fields' mouth, Raven had already bolted to the station's entrance.

By the time Fields had reached the station, Raven had paid for the two tickets and was hovering by one of the few passenger carts. The platform was empty besides the conductor and a few workers who were loading the rear of the train with an assortment of different goods. Fields continued trotting towards the pegasus, the winged pony gesturing for him to enter first as he stepped onto the carriage. They sat at one of the empty booths with Raven taking the seat opposite Fields after a prompt landing. Fields observed the pegasus with a questioning look, "You're a real stickler for time aren't you?".

"It's my job to be, Mr Fields. Wouldn't be a very good courier if I wasn't!" He grinned jokingly, sitting up from his relaxed position. The pegasus yawned and almost fell back into it, correcting himself as soon as he realised what he was doing.
"Talking about being a good courier," Fields leaned forward, "How in Celestia's name could you tell which farm was mine from up there?"
"Oh, Miller just told me to look for the only farmer stubbor-", the pegasus caught himself mid sentence, smiling awkwardly to the stallion across the table, "I mean, traditional enough to not use a tractor. So when I saw you carting that piece of work on your back." He made a gesture with his hoof towards him. Fields nodded in understanding. Just then, Fields caught a glimpse of Raven's cutiemark. Where he had expected to find a pair of wings or a letter, there was an assortment of looping, white calligraphy that stood out against the pegasus' black coat.
"You're a writer?" Fields asked with a hint of interest in his voice. Raven shuffled in his seat awkwardly.
"Well, I'm a courier first and foremost." He stated matter of factly. "But when I get the chance", he hesitated looking out of the trains window to avoid the stallion's gaze. "I do like writing calligraphy.".
"Why don'tcha do it for a living?" Fields asked, noticing Raven's strange reaction, "After all, it's what makes you, well, you.". Raven thought for a while, staring out the window.
"There aren't many ponies in the city that really need that kind of service when everything's in print.". He turned back to face Fields with a slight grin, "But there are those that need couriers like me.".

The train suddenly jerked forwards. A shocked Fields propped his hooves on the table to steady himself as a tired Raven finally gave in and leaned into his seat. With a stern look, Fields watched through the window as the landscape began to shift. The steam engine of the train began to chug rhythmically, accelerating faster and faster, until the fields just outside the window were passing by at a dizzy rate. Fields diverted his gaze back into the booth, back to a peacefully sleeping Raven as he wondered how the pegasus could possibly sleep in the jostling train.