• Published 15th Sep 2012
  • 1,304 Views, 25 Comments

The Legend of Starlight-Book 3: The Good, The Bad, and the Trixie - twow443



Starlight learns more about his destiny as he prepares to deal with a new threat.

  • ...
12
 25
 1,304

The Carnival of the Sun

Chapter 1-The Carnival of the Sun

“Ahhhhh!!!” The three fillies, known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders ran down the hill by Sweet Apple Acres. They were in the process of being chased by a rather large boulder. “Ah told you that rock-climbing was a bad idea!” Applebloom yelled.

“You didn't say that when we were almost at the top!” Scootaloo yelled back, also running. Sweetie Belle was silently running.

“We're almost at the farm!” Scootaloo yelled.

Behind them, the boulder was getting closer. “We ain't gonna make it!” Applebloom said in a panic. Suddenly a lightning fast blur came out of nowhere and slammed into the boulder, pushing it back. The three fillies turned to look. They saw a human dressed in cyan and rainbow and holding a dark blue sword.

“It's Prince Starlight!” Sweetie Belle yelled. The prince kicked the boulder statight up and launched into the air. With a couple of lightning fast slashes, he reduced the big rock to rubble. He then turned and flew over to the young fillies. “Hey there guys. Pardon me for asking, but why were you playing tag with a boulder?”

The CMC bowed to the prince. “Umm, we thought that rock-climbing would help us get our cutie marks.” Sweetie said.

“So we kinds sorta made out own.” Scootaloo finished.

Starlight shook his head, smiling. “If you needed help, you should have gotten me. I was at Twilight's all morning.”

The fillies looked up in shock. “You really mean it, Prince?”

“You know I love helping you crusade.” Starlight told them, desummoning his sword. “Aren't you three going to get ready?”

“Ready for what?” They asked simultaneously.

“The carnival!” he said. “It's today.” The three fillies gasped and dashed off in excitement. As Starlight prepared to take off, Scootaloo ran back and said, “Thank you for saving us.” She ran off after her friends.


The Carnival of the Sun. Ponyville had three major “carnivals” This one, Nightmare Night and another one that I couldn't remember. As I flew, I remembered what this celebration was about. The carnival was to celebrate when Celestia defeated Nightmare Moon after I had been sent to Earth. What made this year special was that Celestia had given me permission to try out a special spell. The carnival took place in Canterlot and Ponyville and usually, several strong stallions would volunteer to pull carriages to take ponies back and forth. But Twilight had found a special portal spell and wanted to open up a pathway from Ponyville to Canterlot so everypony could enjoy what both towns had to offer. I flew faster, knowing I was late.

“You sure this'll work, Prince?” Twilight asked me when I arrived.

I walked around and examined the area we were going to create the portal. “Don't see why it won't. Let's do this already. I'm excited for this.”

I knew that even though I was a alicorn, I didn't know a lot about magic in general. Most of the spells I had used were in the heat of the moment. This was a perfect chance to try out some focused magic.

Twilight and I stood about 12 feet back from the portal area. The pegasus in the area had moved everypony back from the spot. “You ready?” I asked. She nodded. I raised my right hand at the ground and my horn necklace started to glow. I shot a thick white beam at the ground, then moved it upward in a circular shape. I created a circle with the beam then looked at Twilight. Taking the hint, she flashed her horn and shot the middle of the circle, making the area inside ripple like the surface of a lake. I ended the beam seeing the circle was intact, then started the next part of the spell. I walked up and plunged my arms into the rippling middle of the circle. “Canterlot!” I yelled, my eyes glowing. A brilliant flash of light appeared and blew me backwards. I made a neat landing on my feet as everypony in the area gasped. I turned and saw Celestia walking from the circle.

She walked over to Twilight and said, “Well done Twilight. It seems that your portal was successful.” She turned and looked at all the ponies, who were all bowing. “Let the carnival begin!”


Picture one of Pinkie's parties. Then imagine that she threw the party for Canterlot, Ponyville and Cloudsdale at the same time.

You wouldn't even be close to how insane this carnival was.

There were games everywhere, snack booths all over the place. Everypony was helping or playing or just being downright silly, and it was awesome. The first 3 hours of the thing was pretty much me and Celestia getting pulled around to check out the different attractions. This celebration was mostly about her,so it made sense. I was mostly being pulled along because I was her little brother. I can't even count how many times I had to go though that bucking portal we made. All my friends were doing something special for the carnival too. Rarity was making special garments, Twilight was preforming spells for ponies, Fluttershy was taking care of animals, Pinkie was baking treats like crazy, Applejack was selling special apple treats I spent 4 hours with her making and Rainbow was going to preform her Sonic Rainboom in the evening.

Speaking of which, I hadn't seen my cyan-colored marefriend all day, until she ran into me by Applejack's stand.

“Hai Prince!” Rainbow said, suddenly all formal as she bowed to me.

“What, no sarcastic comment?” I asked her as she looked at me.

“Course not.” She said, looking completely innocent. “Gotta be on my best behavior around royalty.” She pointed in the direction of Celestia.

“Oh and what am I?” I asked, smirking.

“Not as important?” She said, smirking. “Come up to the sky if you wanna see some of the moves I'm gonna use in the celebration!” She shot up into the air.

Applejack shook her head. “Ah don't understand why you let her talk to you like that.”

“That's how she is?” I said. “See you a little later, AJ” I launched upwards.

In the air, I was tackled by Rainbow. We spun around from the force of her kiss. Breaking free, I asked, “Couldn't wait to see me?”

“I missed you all week, where were you?” She asked.

“Helping with the preparations in Canterlot.” I said. “Everything turned out great.”

Rainbow giggled, something completely out of character for her. “It sure did. Now you're mine until evening.”

“Oh the horror!” I mock-yelled. She laughed and pulled me to our cloud.

I did a copy spell on the portal, making it so it would stretch across the sky. That way, everypony in Canterlot and Ponyville could see the air show. First, it was Pinkie's fireworks that I helped her make. Then the Wonderbolts did a performance. Finally, it was Rainbow's turn. She was absolutely beautiful in the air. Finally, at the end she rose to preform her Rainboom and suddenly fell. Everypony gasped and I jumped up from next to my sister and shot into the air. Rising to her, she flipped over and gave me a mischievous grin. “Ready?”

I nodded and we shot down, then created a twin Rainboom that spread across the portal. When we landed, the applause was amazing. The Wonderbolts went to do a encore as we flopped down by my sister.

“Wonderful job, Starlight.” Celestia said. “I need to return to Canterlot. Would you mind staying in my place?”

“You knew we were gonna do that, didn't you?” I said. Celestia nodded. I smiled and said, “Fine, I'll see you at the palace later.” Celestia flew upward and went back to Canterlot.

Rainbow sneakily snuggled up next to me. “We did good, didn't we?”

“Yes we did.” I said. We sat there as the Wonderbolts finished. Just as everypony was about to started heading home, Rainbow nudged me. “Starlight, look!” We saw a strange wagon roll onto the stage, covered in stars.