• Published 15th Sep 2012
  • 940 Views, 2 Comments

Daring Do and the Mystery of the lost city - Vector-Brony



Daring Do is searching for a city lost during the reign of Discord.

  • ...
 2
 940

The lost soldier's tomb

Daring Do
&
The Mystery Of The Lost City

Chapter 4

Daring Do and Charter headed down the steps into catacombs, pushing the cobwebs out of their way. Charter stumbled placing his hoof onto a step which started to sink into the ground with a sharp click. They both turned around just in time to see the statue at the entrance slide back into place and plunge them into complete darkness. He yelped in fear and started to tremble.

“Daring, what the hell are we going to do! That was the only exit and now were trapped down here!”

Daring Do pulled out a torch and fixed it onto her hat, she passed another to Charter and they switched them on illuminating the Narrow tunnel.

“First of all were not going to panic! Second were going to find the ponies resting place and thirdly we will find a way out. I've never met a dungeon I can't escape from before”

“But what if we can't get out! What if we we are stuck down here forever!”

“look calm down! When ever they build catacombs like this they always put in multiple exits in case of collapse.”

With those words, Charter finally calmed down and the two pegasi headed down the steps into the catacombs. The sides of the catacombs had dark tunnels which went off into the blackness and recesses which were filled with the bones of what Daring and Charter assumed must be the remains of Gryphons. As they passed into a small room, they suddenly started to hear a crunching noise beneath their hoofs. Daring Do looked down and quickly her head snapped up. Her face had gone pale. "Charter. Whatever you do. Don't look down." she wished she had not said that. For Charter looked at his hoofs to see they were walking over a floor covered in bones and skulls.
For a few seconds he said nothing. His pupils got small and his face screwed up. He started to tremble and finally he snapped. "waaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!" he ran pass Daring Do and dissapeared down the passage. After a while he calmed down and they continued down the catacombes.

As time went on, Daring decided that she better lighten the mood and try and cheer up Charter who was looking pale.
“So, Charter, How dose a pegasus pony like you end up all the way in the middle of the Gryphon Kingdom?” Charter was surprised at the question. In all his time at the Guild none of them had even bothered to ask him why he had come to work there. “Well I suppose it's because of my family really. My parents are in charge of the weather co-ordination in Cloudsdale. They make maps for the weather Pegasi, when they create weather patterns for Equestria. But I have no head for weather but I have a talent for maps and history. So when I heard about a job at the cartographers guild in Oasis I leapt at the chance and made preparations to leave Cloudsdale. My parents weren't to fond of the idea and told me that Ponies were unpopular in the Gryphon kingdom, but I wasn't going to let that stop me” Daring Do was impressed with the story, as she liked ponies with a sense of adventure.

They continued talking till the reached a large domed chamber which was filled with stone coffins and lots of paintings on the walls. Daring swung her light around to illuminate the paintings. They showed paintings of gryphons in battle, others of Gryphons at study and one more unusual one showed a painting of a blue box with a Brown and a grey pony standing in front whilst surronded but lots of golden pepper pot shaped things. She frowned at the sight of more ponies in a Gryphon catacombs, but quickly moved on. The searched the room for another passage but I seemed that it was a dead end.
“I thought you said their was all-ways an second exit!” The fear had returned to Charters voice again.

“Their must be! Just keep looking” Even Daring Do was confused at this turn of events. But she knew she was right. she had to be!

They continued to search the room for anything that might give clue to where the pony was buried and suddenly Charter called out.
“I think I've found something, look at this.
She walked over to Charter to see he was looking at a large painting of what seemed to be a Gryphon philosopher at a table reading a large book, whilst pointing at a clock with the symbol of knowledge on the side. Daring Do put her hoof to the clock and pushed down, but nothing moved or clicked. It was just a painting and nothing more.
“ARGH. Nothing, it doesn't do anything!” Daring was annoyed now.
“But look at the room. Don't you get it!” Charter was amused that she couldn't figure it out.

she shone her light around the room and all she saw were the paintings, the fourteen coffins in their circular pattern and the...
“Fourteen coffins! Twelve numbers and two hands. The room is a giant clock! But what time do we have to make it?”
“I'd say about a Quarter Past Five” a smug Charter replied”
“How in Equestria do you know that!” An irritated voice came back.
“it's here on the painting.” He pointed to the clock in on the table with his hoof.
“oh. I knew that, I was just erm.... testing you.” she replied in a haughty voice.
They started to move the coffins into position and they got the final one into place and still nothing happened.
“so now what now smarty-pants.”
“I don't know, I thought that was all we had to do”
“perhaps theirs something else” they looked over at the mural again.
suddenly it all became clear to Daring Do, who rolled her eyes and sighed in frustration.
“we are idiots, the pair of us. Look at the clock, it has a winding key”
with that the two ponies looked around till they found a block in the wall with a key carved in the face.
“give me a helping hoof”

With that the two of them turned the stone with a multiple set of clicks till it stopped and there came a tick, tick, tick, from somewhere in the room. Then the far wall began to sink down into the floor revealing another, much larger tunnel. As there torches illuminated the tunnel. They could see that this area must have been for much grander Gryphons. The walls had sealed recesses with inscriptions of the the Diffrent Gryphons who were behind them. As they continued on they saw another Doorway to their right. It had been bricked up but on the stones was commander Hurricanes Symbol. "This is it. He must be throught this wall. Charter, Give me a Hoof." The two pegasi turned around and kicked with their back legs as hard as they could. At first the wall only shivered, but on the next try it feel inwards with a loud crashing noise which echoed all around. As the Dust cleared Daring turned her light into the room. In the gloom she could see three coffins sitting in a row. They stepped into the room to look at them and to their surprise, two were blank whilst the middle one had a statue of a pony lying on top. He was wearing a suit of chain mail with a surcoat over the top. His shield was in one side and a sword lay down the length of the body.
“This is it I can't believe this! He is actually real. and look at his shield! It's the symbol of Equestria ” Charter was bouncing in excitement at the coffin.

“Relax Charter, we need to focus. Now give me a hoof to open this up.”
the two of them placed their hoofs on the side of the lid and gave a push, the lid was stiff at first but soon the upper torso was vissable inside The remains inside nothing but bone and rusted armour. But in his hoof was a leather bound book with the symbol of Commander Hurricane engraved on the cover. With at tug Daring Pulled the book free along with the hoof which fell onto Charters Face
“arggg, get it off! Get it off!” he was shaking his head from side to side and suddenly lost his footing and fell against the wall which crumbled at the impact.


Daring Do Pulled a dust covered Charter who rubbed his eyes and looked with delight at what he saw.
“stairs!” he exclaimed as Daring do's light illuminated a flight of stairs going almost vertical into the blackness.


Up in the street the Gryphons were all going about their business of buying and selling in the wide marketplace, until their was a thumping noise coming from one of the drain Covers. A Small Griffin child looked at the moving cover and ran I fright as the lid popped open revealing two pegasi, completely covered in cobwebs and dust. After being underground for so long the sunlight was blinding to Daring Do and Charter. But now they had the book of the unamed pony, they had their guide to finding the Lost city of the pegasi and the Spear of Commander Hurricane.