• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 5,502 Views, 479 Comments

Forgotten: The Crystal Princess - milesprower06



After rescuing Princess Flurry Heart from a frigid limbo with the help of the Crystal Heart, Sunny wonders where to go from here with the first alicorn Equestria has seen in centuries.

  • ...
7
 479
 5,502

Advice

Flurry Heart stepped off onto the second floor of the Crystal Brighthouse, thankful that the elevator was nearly silent in its operation, as she made her way down the curved ramp to the first floor as quietly as she could, not wanting to wake any of the second floor's other occupants. She headed down to the kitchen, and started the coffee pot, and was grateful that this was something else that hadn't changed a whole lot during the time that she'd been gone.

While the coffee maker churned drizzled out the fresh hot beverage, she got two slices of whole wheat bread, and put them in the toaster. The pot of coffee was nearly ready when she heard another set of hoofsteps come down the ramp to the first floor. She turned, and saw Pipp come into the kitchen, looking positively half awake.

"Oh, good morning Pipp, I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you," Flurry greeted.

Pipp gave her a tired smile.

"You didn't do anything, I'm almost always up this early; I've got a salon to open. It'd be simply amazing if I can get a cup of that coffee," Pipp replied.

"Yeah, absolutely. I was just going to do one cup myself," Flurry told her, reaching up into the cabinet and getting two mugs out. "I'm glad Sunny showed me where everything is already."

Flurry's horn lit up, and the pot of steaming hot coffee floated up in the grasp of her magic, and she poured it into the two mugs, up to about three-quarters full, leaving room for additions. The alicorn's and pegasus' choices were identical; a spoonful of sugar, and adding a bit of creamer.

"Well, since you beat me down to making coffee, I've got a few minutes. What do you have planned for today?" Pipp asked.

"Well, I'd like to head down to the sheriff's station and finally meet Hitch Trailblazer proper. Sunny also tells me he has an egg that's taking up all his free time, and I'd like to take a look at it, see if I can give him any advice. After that, I'm headed over to CanterLogic to see if they can get me fitted for any cold weather gear before our trip back to the Crystal Empire.

"Yeah, I'm glad we're headed back so soon. That's what my day is going to mostly consist of; making sure Jazz and Rocky are going to be able to hold down the fort again while we're gone, and make sure the appointments don't stack up to an unmanageable level."

"Well, things seemed perfectly orderly when you took me there yesterday. I'm sure they'll be fine, Pipp. I'm glad you'll be coming back with us to help," Flurry said, beginning to sip at her coffee.

"Not just me, but my sister too. Hitch isn't tagging along because of this egg of his," Pipp told her.

The toaster popped up with the two darkened pieces of bread. Flurry grabbed them both with her magic, quickly buttered them, spread strawberry jam on both, then offered a piece to Pipp.

"Why thank you," Pipp said, immediately taking a bite of toast.

"I wouldn't be waking him up early, would I? If I show up in ten or fifteen minutes?" Flurry asked.

"Oh no," Pipp answered, before swallowing her food. "Hitch is normally one of the first ponies up in the morning, and you'd be surprised at how early some of Maretime Bay's shops open for the early risers."

"That's a relief," Flurry replied, finishing her coffee, and taking the last bite of toast. "Well then, I believe I'll be off. I'll see you later tonight."

Pipp nodded happily.

"I know you're not done with your traditional painting just yet, so I'll probably hold off on getting you set up with a digital tablet, probably until we get back from up north."

With that, Flurry rinsed her coffee mug out in the sink, then put it upside down on the rinsing rack, before heading out the front door into the brisk Maretime Bay morning. The sun wasn't quite above the horizon yet, and wouldn't get up above the roof of CanterLogic for at least another hour. The morning tide was coming up onto the beaches, so nopony was out there yet; it would likely be too cold until the sun began to warm the sands up anyway.

Flurry kept to the coastal street, as that would take her right to the sheriff's station just a little halfway through town. True to Pipp's word, she passed by a few ponies, either out for a morning jog, being one of the first ponies in line for breakfast, or opening up their shops for the day to come.

After trotting down several blocks, she came to what could only be the Sheriff's Station, due to the giant five-pointed star surrounded by a horseshoe above the front double doors of the blue and white building. On either side of the horseshoe and star were large announcement speakers, no doubt used for public service announcements. She stepped up to the double doors and knocked. She heard muffled footsteps on the other side moments before the right door was pulled open, revealing the light orange stallion Hitch Trailblazer.

"Ah, you must be Flurry Heart. Sheriff Hitch Trailblazer, at your service. It's great to see you on your hooves," the stallion greeted as he sipped at a cup of coffee.

"Nice to finally meet you face to face, Sheriff Trailblazer. Sunny tells me you found an egg on the beach while she and I were headed back from Zephyr Heights? I thought I'd stop by and see if I could offer any insights," Flurry replied with a smile.

"Certainly. Come in, come in," Hitch said, stepping aside and holding the door open for the alicorn as she stepped inside the station. "It's just over here," he continued after the door closed.

Flurry followed him around his desk to the storage cabinet, and the stallion slowly and carefully opened the doors, revealing the pink speckled egg resting on the pillow, and having the desk lamp shine down brightly on it. Flurry took a moment to look at it before glancing over at Hitch's desk, and picking up the magnifying glass from the holder cup.

"May I?" Flurry asked, levitating the magnifying glass with her magic. Hitch nodded, and Flurry moved in closer with the instrument, taking in the almost crystalline shell in greater detail. She studied it from several angles for nearly a full minute before lowing the magnifying glass and stepping back.

"Well, Sheriff, I want to make the somewhat educated guess that you have a dragon egg here," she told him.

Hitch's eyes widened.

"A d-dragon?" Hitch stammered.

"Dragon eggs are the only ones I know of that frequently have that crystal-like coating on the bottom, having to survive the rigors of their climate."

"Well, what would optimal hatching conditions for a dragon egg be?" Hitch asked.

"A bed of volcanic rock warmed by lava pools underneath," Flurry answered, and the sheriff's mouth fell open. "Yeah, not exactly going to get close to that, but from what I can see, you're doing the best you can with what you've got," Flurry said.

"So... How do I know when it's ready to hatch, and, well, what do I have ready to feed it? What to dragons eat?" the sheriff asked.

"Pretty much anything. Seriously. The dragons I knew could handle Equestrian foods with no issue. If you have gems, they can even handle those. And when it does hatch, there's a pretty good chance the hatchling will imprint on the first living thing it sees, so, try to be close by if you can. You could even add another lamp, or even a heat lamp to this nest you have. It can take it, trust me. To dragons, it's even comfortable."

Hitch was clearly trying to take in all this new information that Flurry was giving him.

"Um, wow... So, at least there won't be any shortage of things for them to eat. What about fire? Don't they, you know, breathe fire?"

Flurry nodded.

"Dragon fire is inherently magical, so you will want to be careful until you can safely determine what it does."

Hitch gulped.

"So... This means I'm... I'm a..."

Flurry nodded.

"Congratulations, Sheriff. You're going to be a dragon dad."

Author's Note: