• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 2,491 Views, 54 Comments

A Story Of Two Bolts - Stepany1234



After becoming rivals, two fillyhood friends must put their friendship to the ultimate test.

  • ...
2
 54
 2,491

Chapter 6: Forever and Ever

Landing before the castle ruins, the Shadowbolts drop the sacks of stolen goods and take time to catch their breath.

“Damn! That fly to Canterlot and back was murder on my wings!” Said the stallion. Nightshade looked at her team and then back to the castle ruins.

“Get the stuff inside and then you all can rest,” she ordered. The team raised their heads to see her walk into their hideout.

“What’s with her?” Another stallion asked. A mare shrugged in response.

Nightshade stopped and looked at the circular pedestal which held the five stone orbs. She never thought anything of them and so she continued with her trot up the stairs. Soon reaching the bedroom. She passed by the bed and flung off her goggles, watching them bounce on the mattress. She took down her mask and walked out to the balcony. She looked up at the moon and stars, clouds mixing in the night sky. She sighed.

“Spitfire, what am I doing?” Her head fell low. “The look on her face. How could I be acting like this? Why am I even doing any of this?” She said to no one in particular.

“She betrayed you, Nightshade,” said a voice. Behind Nightshade was a purple blue aura. Glistening with the hidden sparkles in its mist. Nightshade recognized the voice, and had no intentions of turning around to face it. She raised her head and hardened her expression.

“The bash went successfully, we left our mark for Celestia and everyone to see,” Nightshade answered.

“Good. I can see your loyalty is becoming more and more trusted. Unlike Spitfire’s,” said the voice. Nightshade grew enraged at the reminder. “She turned on you and left you for something more. Leaving you behind to pursue her own dreams, without you in them,” the aura floated around her as it continued to remind her of her past. Nightshade’s body stiffened as her head hang low, resisting to cry.

“Now, my sweet young follower. Don’t let this hurt you,” the aura began to comfort the mare and slowly covered her in its mist. It did its best to change her mood, taking away those tears and replacing them with anger and rage. “Instead, let it strengthen you to take back what belongs to you. What belongs to both of us.”

Nightshade raised her head.

“Yes, Nightmare Moon.”

“Good. Soon this will all pay off my child. My return to take over Equestria is coming closer by the night. Soon I will return and the night will last forever,” the mist left Nightshade’s side and laughed before floating through the room.

“I can’t wait until your return, Princess,” Nightshade said, still not turning around.

“As can I. Soon, my child. Soon. The Summer Sun Celebration is very close to come,” said the voice. “But until then, I want you to pursue the plan.” Nightshade’s eyes widened slightly. She turned around to face the faceless voice.

“That plan is too risky. Besides, it doesn’t have any proof of benefiting your return, if anything it’ll raise alarm to the princess ahead of time,” Nightshade said, walking forward towards the aura.

“Those Wonderbolts are already aware of who you are and what you all are capable of. They are already on high alert of awareness and so that is why you must do as I say and pursue the plan!” Nightshade bit back in defeat, knowing she lost the argument. “You will do as I commanded, Nightshade.”

Nightshade thought a bit longer before finally submitting. She sighed heavily and looked up to the aura.

“Yes, Princess,” she said while bowing.

“Good. Now you know already know what to do. I only hope you’ll do what you are told and fulfill it. You know that we need them out of the way.”

Nightshade gulped and nodded.

“Right then. Tomorrow,” commanded the voice. Nightshade raised her head quickly.

“Tomorrow? So soon-?”

“Enough! Do not question the authority of your princess!” Shouted the voice. The aura flared like a wild fire, frightening the mare. She fell to the ground, burying her face in hooves.

“You will do as you are told!”

“Yes, Princess!”

“And you will do this task tomorrow! No less!”

“Of course, Princess!”

The aura calmed down.

“Good,” the voice now content.

It watched Nightshade continue to shake on the floor before floating over to her. Comforting her. Filling her with rage and vengeance. Replacing the fear and sorrow with anger and hate. Nightshade stopped shaking and let herself be covered in the aura filled with the negative vibes.

“Now, do you feel better?” the voice asked. Nightshade stood up and nodded. Her eyes were dead and cold. The expression pleased the dark mist and soon it left her body.

“I will see you soon, my child.”

“I will be awaiting your next visit and future arrival, Princess,” Nightshade answered, her eyes narrowed, accompanied by a dead frown.

“Until then, continue to stay a loyal faithful follower.”

Nightshade nodded. The misty aura left Nightshade’s side and out to the sky through the balcony. She followed it and stepped onto the balcony, feeling the familiar cold night breeze. She looked up at the clouds and saw a cloud that was shaped as a bolt. Like magic, she suddenly received a vivid memory from her filllyhood.

“Hey, Spitfire!”

“What is it, Nightshade?”

“I made this for you in art class!”

“Really? Wow! A Wonderbolt bracelet! This is so awesome!”

“You really like it?”

“Yeah! I love it! I’ll wear it forever!”

“And ever and ever?

“And ever and ever and ever!”

Nightshade’s eyes watered and the realization of crying angered her, cursing at herself to stop. She turned around and walked back into the room, forcing herself to stay angered instead of depressed.

“No. It means nothing now. None of it,” she growled, trying her best to convince herself this was true. She took off her uniform and climbed into the bed. Furious at herself for desiring the presence of her old friend. Her enemy.

-------------------

Spitfire walked into her room, shutting the door behind her. Her apartment dark with only the light from the moon outside the windows. She took off her goggles and suit, folding them neatly and placing them in her closet. She walked over to her dresser with goggles in hoof. As she placed the goggles on top of the dresser, her eye caught the bracelet around her right hoof. She brought it closer to her face to see its design up close. A thick tough blue rubber band with a line of dark blue and orange painted in the center. A small Wonderbolt logo cut out of cardboard and tied to the rubber band. Something simple that any foal could have made in art class, and yet, it had so much meaning to the Captain of the Wonderbolts. She thought back to the ambush that happened earlier that day and recalled the encounter she had with the mare.

“Lookin’ good, Spit.”

“Could that have really been her? I mean, it looked like her, just with a suit and goggles,” Spitfire told herself. She walked over to the drawer next to her dresser and picked up the picture frame. She stared at the picture of her and Nightshade when they were still in high school. They had matured and changed a lot since then but it was the only latest picture she had of the both of them together.

She stared at the color of her mane and coat color. It slowly began to click but she still couldn’t put her hoof on it. She then looked closer and focused on Nightshade’s eyes, they were almost the same color as the goggles. Then a quick memory of when they were fillies ran through her mind and Nightshade’s filly voice rang through her mind.

“You’ve got the best of both worlds, Spit.”

Spitfire’s eyes widened and she dropped the small frame, backing away from it as fast as she could. She gasped and shook her head. She stopped once she slammed into the wall behind her. She shook her head and continued to hyperventilate.

“No. No it can’t be,” she said. She placed her hoof over her mouth before running it over her eyes, a failed attempt to keep the tears from slipping out. “No, dear Celestia! No, it can’t be her!” She removed her hoof from her eyes and caught glimpse of the bracelet around her hoof. She looked back at the bracelet after recalling the memory of when she first received it.

“And ever and ever?”

A heavy sob was heard.

“Forever and ever and ever,” she said before breaking down. She ran to her bed and dived into her pillow. Falling back into the sweet memories that cause her so much pain to remember. Especially now that it might be from a potential enemy who she once loved like a sister.

“And ever and ever and ever!” She cried.