• Published 12th Sep 2012
  • 1,245 Views, 29 Comments

Chaotic Symphony - Deathstrider



When Vinyl Scratch splits up with her long time partner can anything or anypony make her happy again

  • ...
1
 29
 1,245

Chapter 2

EDITED BY Lunat1c CHECK OUT HIS WORK :D(http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Lunat1c)

CHAPTER 2

When Vinyl woke up in the morning her apartment seemed empty. As she walked across the hallway into the bathroom she could have sworn she heard her hoofsteps echoing around the apartment. She knew they weren't but the place felt empty without Green Star, just like her heart. Vinyl took a few minutes to get ready and then left for town. She hadn't bothered having breakfast. At some point, she knew that was going come back and bite her. As she walked through the town she noticed how late she had woken up; the sun was already at least half way through its arc above Ponyville. Whilst she walked around town, collecting her supplies for her stay, she saw somepony she wasn't expecting to see: her old friend, Octavia. Vinyl walked over to her, taking her in through her glasses as she approached. She was a light grey earth pony with an almost black mane, she wore a pink bow tie around her neck, her cutie mark was a treble cleft marking her out as a musician, but Vinyl didn't have to look at Octavia's cutie mark to know that she was a musician. The two had been friends since school and had been in the same music class despite having slightly different tastes in music genres. While Vinyl had been more into making electronic music on her decks, Octavia had been classically trained on the cello since she was a filly, but despite this the two had still been best friends. Octavia looked up as she noticed Vinyl walking towards her, "Vinyl? Is that you?" Octavia asked, knowing full well that it was.

"The one and only," Vinyl replied. "How have you been?"

"Never better, how are you? How's Green?" Octavia asked.

"Erm, fine I guess." Vinyl said, looking down at the ground.

"Vinyl, what's the matter darling?" She asked with a curious note in her voice.

"I'd rather not talk about it in public."

"Ah, yes, are you busy? Let's go back to mine and you can tell me what's happened." Octavia told her, rubbing her cheek comfortingly with a smile.

"Okay Octavia, I'd only go straight back to bed if I went home." Vinyl said with a guilty laugh.

"Alright, let's go." Octavia said.

They talked about Vinyl's tour on the way to Octavia's house. There wasn't much to say, which was unfortunate because it was quite a long walk to Octavia's as she lived on the edge of town. When they arrived Vinyl stopped and took in her friend's cottage. It was an old fashioned thatched cottage with a small crumbling wall surrounding a small, traditional rose garden. The walls of the house were once white but had now faded to a light grey colour, almost the same colour of Octavia's coat. The single glazed windows with pristine white, lace curtains hanging behind them.

"Are you alright Vinyl?" Octavia asked, noticing that her old friend had stopped.

"Yeah, I'm fine I was just trying to remember the last time I came here." Vinyl said, slightly tilting her head to one side.

"Well you'll be thinking for a long time then," she said with a laugh. "Last time you came here you were drunk."

"Oh, sorry." Vinyl said, blushing, looking at the floor.

"It's alright. It was either my place or the gutter I found you in."

"Erm, Thanks."

"Anyway, let's get inside, I'm freezing.", Octavia said, opening the door. When Vinyl stepped inside, she noticed that the inside was just as she had expected it to look. Photos of Octavia and her parents hung on the wall in the hallway Vinyl had entered. As she walked through to the front room she took in her surroundings. There were two canvas sofas for two ponies against each wall which were a light pink colour with white pinstripes on them. Above the sofas were more pictures showing Octavia as a foal and other key moments in her life, birthdays and such.

"Would you like a drink Vinyl?" Octavia called from the kitchen.

"No, thanks.", Vinyl replied, whilst looking at the photos. It was then that she spotted a photo that she had in her apartment. It was a photo of Octavia and herself outside of college wearing their graduation uniforms. This brought a smile to her face; on the day that they had graduated Vinyl had gone out into town to party whereas Octavia had gone to the spa to relax, it was that evening that Octavia had found Vinyl face down in the gutter. Vinyl hadn't heard Octavia walk into the room behind her.

"So, what's the matter." Octavia asked, making Vinyl jump.

"Oh it's just, me and Green recently split up." Vinyl said, sadness creeping back into her voice.

"Oh no, Vinyl. What happened?" Octavia asked a sincere note of pain in her voice.

Without knowing it Vinyl had started crying. She felt the first of many more tears roll down her cheek as she explained what had happened between her and Green Star to Octavia. A little while later, Vinyl had finished telling Octavia about her recent woes,

"Vinyl that's absolutely dreadful, he never deserved to have somepony like you.", Octavia told her, staring into Vinyl's eyes. The two ponies shared a moment of silence, looking into one another's eyes, well, Vinyl looking into Octavia's and Octavia looking into Vinyl's glasses. They sat next to one another, their faces only inches apart. The temperature of the room had seemed to increase significantly and each of them could only see the other. Octavia reached up to Vinyl's face and slipped off her glasses. It was the first time in four years that Octavia had seen Vinyl's eyes.

"I always adored your eye colour.", she said.

The last time Octavia had seen them was the night before graduation. They had had a sleepover and things had gotten a little out of hand, but Octavia hadn't minded, in fact she had kind of enjoyed it, but she had no idea whether or not Vinyl had. She came back to the present to discover her lips were mere centimetres from Vinyl's.