• Published 21st Sep 2021
  • 2,152 Views, 175 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: A New Generation - MaggiesHeartLove

  • ...
7
 175
 2,152

Chapter 11– Glowing Up

With their decision made official, the team set their plan into motion. Zipp went straight away to pick up supplies for Izzy, wearing a pair of shades to not raise suspicion. Even ‘she’ was surprised at how well it worked. Her people, every pony and elf she passed, only noticed things they want to notice (Or so it seemed).

One she collected all the items, that’s when Izzy went straight to work. In a matter of minutes, she was able to craft the perfect decoy using the macaroni, jellybeans, and lots and lots of glitter. From a distance one could barely tell the difference.

With the decoy set, Allura and Zipp proceeded with the next phase of their plan. On the night of the royal celebration, the princesses strutted down the red carpet. With Zipp in her enlarged form and Allura riding on her back, sidesaddle, they drew all the attention to them. Normally this position frustrated Allura, considering how uncomfortable it was, but this time she mustered a calm, content nod and regal stare while Zipp trotted along, looking cool and confident as cameras flashed, answering the occasional question or two.

Seeing the paparazzi distracted, Keith Kogan, Sunny Starscout, Katie Holt, and Izzy Moonbow were able to sneak their way back into the palace. Of course, they had to be cautious about not being seen, though Zipp reassured them they’d be fine.

As they snuck along the walls, hiding behind the dessert table, the guard from before, ‘Soren’, led the other guards away. For a split second, Keith was almost certain Soren spotted at least a smidge of Sunny’s tail poking out from underneath the table. But for some strange reason, he acted as though he didn’t see it.

Is he in cahoots with Zipp?” Keith wondered.

Keith figured he’d question her about it later. But right now, they needed to make their way into the Grand Hall. Luckily, Zipp opened the door to the backstage portion of the throne room (In similar fashion to how Allura freed them from their cell).

Once the show officially began, their one final step was merely to switch the crown with the decoy. A feat of which Zipp claimed would be ‘easy-breezy’.

“Easy-breezy, sure…” Sunny remarked, sarcastically.

Well, she certainly ate those words because before she knew it there they stood, hidden behind the thrones. Now it was a matter of waiting for the music to start.

***

The hall was flooded with guests, all eagerly awaiting for their favorite pop stars to make a grand entrance. Poor Zipp fidgeted as the elf guards adjusted the wires around her torso. In contrast to Allura, who stood perfectly still while the guards attached the wires to her back.

“Zipp!” Allura scolded.

With a frown, Zipp forced herself to stand still till the guards were finished. Soon as the guards left was when it was safe to talk.

“I can’t wait to get this over with,” Zipp sighed. “So we never have to use these things anymore.”

“Yeah, about that… are you sure we’re doing the right thing?” Allura asked, worriedly.

“To be perfectly honest… no, not really,” Zipp shook. “But what else can we do? We swore we’d find a way to restore our flight, and this is the closest we have ever gotten. I’m choosing to believe in it, and in our new friends. Do you?”

Allura sighed, as she knelt beside the pony till their eyes leveled with each other’s.

“I believe in you,” Allura cupped Zipp’s cheek. “I always have, that’s why you’re my best friend.”

Zipp smiled and hugged her best friend.

“I hear you two paid our guests a visit…”

The two princess quickly gasped and pulled away from each other when they saw their mothers stepped into the room. In the very center was a large round opening, the same place from which they ‘flew’ down when they first encountered Keith, Sunny, Katie, and Izzy. Standing beside Haven was Queen Rosalyn, both with wiring attached to their backs.

“Pipp told you?” Zipp asked horrified.

The very idea that her own twin would sell them out was difficult to bear. Pipp may be a lot of things, but a blabbermouth? She just couldn’t be…

“Actually, it was Lance,” Rosalyn corrected.

Unlike Haven, who was inspecting her make-up and adjusting her crown, Rosalyn carried herself with grace and poise.

“Of course he did,” Allura groaned, her fists clenching. “But mother… we have some news. We think we might have finally found the solution to our problem.”

Rosalyn’s eyes widened; her poised expression cracked.

“What?”

“Oh girls, not this again!” Queen haven sighed.

“No, mom, really!” Zipp said.

Maybe Keith was right and all they had to do was just talk to her. Maybe she could help.

“You see, the unicorns and mages don’t have magic. We think it could be tied to why we can’t fly, and—”

“Zephyrina!”

Queen Have raised her voice, and Zipp shrunk back. Unlike the prissy, vain queen from before, this Haven was stern, serious, and even cold. But more than that, her eyes conveyed a sense of tiredness that could only have come from years of disappointment.

“I know you girls keep insisting we can fly again, but it’s high time for you to face the facts!”

“We can’t just give up!” Allura insisted, taking Rosalyn’s hands. “Mother, please listen! All we ask is that—”

But Rosalyn pulled her hands away before Allura could finish.

“I’m sorry, Allura. But Haven is right. Our family has tried for generations, and ‘every’ time you both claim to have found something you wind up disappointed.”

The implication behind the words were unsaid, but it was loud and clear nonetheless.

“So you expect us to live a lie for the rest of our lives?” Allura confronted, her anger rising.

“It makes our people feel safe!” Haven stated. “You both will be queens one day, especially ‘you’.”

She walked towards her daughter, lifting her chin with her hoof.

“You, my darling Zipp, will wear this crown. And trust me, it’s ‘heavier’ than it looks. Let’s just focus on keeping our subjects happy.”

Zipp pulled away, her ears pressed down and frowning. Even Allura turned away from her own mother, who could only look upon her with the slightest hint of sympathy. Perhaps even more than Haven herself.

“You two will understand one day,” Haven insisted. “Your brother and sister do. Oh, and here they are now!”

The squeaking sound of wires moving turned everyone’s heads as Lance and Pipp were hoisted over the floor, smiling excitedly for their big musical number.

“Pleases, people!” Lance clapped his hands. “It’s showtime!!!”

Allura marched towards her brother, grabbing him by the collar of his brand new, cotton shirt.

“You just couldn’t resist opening your big mouth, could you?” Allura seethed.

“I’m not the one talking to strangers!” Lance frowned. “Now would you mind letting go? This material’s ‘very’ expensive!”

Allura scoffed and shoved her brother until he spun around on his wires, making him dizzy (‘Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!’). Allura turned away from him, her arms folded and her lips pouting.

“Back to Plan A?” Zipp asked.

“Back to Plan A,” Allura confirmed.

***

The music played as the queens and princesses were lowered down by the wires. Once the spotlight shined upon them, Rosalyn waved with all the grace and dignity of a royal while Haven spread her wings, flapping them to give the illusion of flight. Zipp did the same, only less enthusiastically. Allura waved to the crowd while riding atop her friend, in the most uncomfortable sidesaddle position she loathed so much.

“Remember to smile!” Queen Haven said.

Zipp rolled her eyes in disgust as the Pegasi royals hovered over the thrones. Once down, Rosalyn and Allura gracefully slid onto their cushioned seats. Haven and Zipp shifted back into their original pony forms, as they sat beside their respected fairy.

Glowing up, kinda love

Dip and slide, through the cut

Glowing up kinda love

Dip and slide through the cut

From behind Haven’s throne, Zipp could see bits of Sunny’s mane. She nodded towards Izzy, who looked worried. Keith and Katie hid behind the wall, cloaked in the shadows. The lights dimmed and a spotlight shined upon Pipp and Lance, as golden confetti fell all around. Pipp was ‘flying’ while Lance rode on her, flexing his muscles for all the wild fangirls.

Lance and Pipp:

We got the light

Lance:

We’re coming in stronger

We’re in it together

If you want it all inside your mind

Lance and Pipp:

We’ve got the light

Pipp:

Won’t wait any longer

We’ll get it together

If you wanna be you can paint the sky

The two friends sang as they ‘flew’ above the crowd. Queens Haven and Rosalyn watched with pride for their children, while Sunny, very cautiously to not let Rosalyn notice, tried poking her head from the V shape of Haven’s throne. She stood on Izzy’s back, her hoof pressing down against the unicorn’s head. She fought back a yelp, grunting while balancing Sunny on her back.

Lance:

Used to care what they say

Let me into my brain

But I found a new way

After the spotlight slipped by, Sunny (While holding the makeshift crown), switched it with Haven’s real crown. She gave Zipp a quick nod and disappeared behind the throne. Zipp and Allura hoof/fist bumped seeing their plan coming along swimmingly.

Pipp:

Every time I fall down

I pick it up like rebound

Gotta get through somehow

“So far so good,” Zipp whispered.

“Let’s hope it stays that way,” Allura whispered back.

As Sunny and Izzy slipped away, they completely forgot about Pipp’s pet dog, Cloudpuff. The Pomeranian’s ears poked upwards, sensing something amiss.

Keith and Katie gestured to Izzy and Sunny to hurry, watching as the mares quietly sped-walked down the corridor and the whole group reached the first door they found. Keith pressed his hand against the wall button and the door slip open, only to spot a fairy guard and his fellow pony talking about something involving eggs and sausage.

Keith quickly closed the door, and the group heard a dog-like whimper from behind them. They spotted the little dog, Cloudpuff, eyeing them.

“Nice Doggy…” Katie whispered nervously.

Cloudpuff growled in response. Sunny and Izzy screamed while Keith stood in their defense.

“Shoo! Shoo!” Keith gestured. “Go away!”

But it was no use. The pooch just jumped onto his pants leg, climbed up his shirt, jumped from his head, then Katies, and landed on Sunny’s back, snatching the crown with its teeth and ran away.

“Why that little—” Katie growled.

Lance:

We don’t fly like we used to

We take what we’ve been through

And we can feel brand new

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh,

Pipp:

I know I am a fighter

I feel the fire

I’m shinning brighter

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh,

“No! Come back!” Sunny hissed.

The group pursued Cloudpuff through the crowd, trying not to get noticed. Luckily, the crowd was too engrossed with the concert to event address a unicorn, earth pony, mage, and the earth elf running around the castle.

Suddenly, a door burst open just as the team rushed by, narrowly missing Hitch Trailblazer and Hunk Garrett. They both wore faux fairy and Pegasus wings, complete with mustaches above their upper lips.

“Do you see them?” Hunk asked, scanning the area.

“Nope!” Hunk answered, shielding his eyes. “No sign of ‘em. Hey… where’s that catchy music coming from?”

The two looked up spotting Pipp and Lance singing the chorus of their song. Lance rode Pipp’s back like a surfboard, while the Pegasus moved with all the grace and beauty she was famously known for. Lance, of course, glowed with such confidence and charisma, everyone below his feet went wild.

Lance and Pipp:

Glowing up, kinda love

Dip and slide, through the cut

Glowing up, kinda love

Dip and slide through the cut

All of a sudden, Hunk started bobbing his head to the beat as if the pair had cast him under their spell.

“Wow! For terrifying winged beasts that could scoop up an elf in seconds, they have pretty good taste in music!”

As Hunk started swaying his arms, Hitch noticed his own flank swaying to the rhythm.

Curse my love of music…” Hitch groaned.

Fighting against it, he tugged Hunk’s shirt with his teeth, dragging him away to search for the others.

Lance and Pipp:

Glowing up, kinda love

We say “Hi”, you say “what?”

Sunny, Keith, Izzy, and Katie hid behind a wall when they spotted two Pegasus guards walk up, happily watching the performance. Cloudpuff raced back up the flight of stairs leading to the thrones. Zipp and Allura gasped when they spotted the dog. Allura nodded to Zipp to get the crown while she stood still, her back erect as though nothing happened while forcing a smile that looked more uncomfortable than anything.

Pipp:

Everywhere that I’ve been

Yeah, they say I’m different

But I’m good in my skin

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh,

Zipp slid down the stairs, luckily unseen by her mother and Rosalyn, and tried pulling the crown from Cloudpuff.

“Give.. it… to… me!” Zipp grunted.

One powerful pull later… and only the golden edge was retrieved. The pup ran away with the crystal, forcing Zipp in hot pursuit. It didn’t take long until Rosalyn started noticing something and turned toward Allura.

“Where’s Zipp?” Rosalyn asked.

“Uh.. she needed… to use the ladies’ room?” Allura smiled awkwardly.

Lance:

If it doesn’t feel right

Break it in with tie-dye

And don’t you stop till sunrise

Among the crowd, the group spotted Hitch and Hunk. Keith looked around and spotted a pair of curtains. He pulled them open and gestured to everyone to hurry inside. He closed the curtain, allowing the group to breath some simultaneous sighs of relief… only to realize they were not alone…

Pipp:

We don’t fly like we used to

We take what we’ve been through

And we can feel brand new

A stagehand fairy was working the controls which controlled Pipp and Lance’s wires, with a computer screen observing the whole thing, when he saw the group before his eyes.

“Hi?” Katie spoke feebly.

The fairy screamed in terror, until Keith silence him quickly… with a jump kick to the stomach. The fairy slid across the floor, hitting his head on the machine and fell unconscious. Izzy, Sunny, and Katie stared at Keith with horror.

“What?”

Lance and Pipp:

We got the light

We’re coming in stronger

We’re in it together

If you want it all its inside your mind

Zipp lost track of Cloudpuff due to a crowd of ponies and fairies blocking her path. The dog ran quickly, but was blocked by a passing Hitch, dropping the crystal in the process. Hitch looked down at the dog in confusion, while the pup stared back at him with heart eyes. Once again, another creature fell in love with Hitch at first sight.

“Aww, how cute!” Hunk cooed. “Where’d you come from, little baby?”

***

“What do we do now?” Sunny asked, tugging her hair.

“Calm down, Sunny,” Izzy said, facing the monitor. “Katie, can you use this to search for the crystal?”

Katie quickly flashed a confident grin and stretched her arms. “Move aside, sweet-cakes. Mama’s driving.”

Katie studied the buttons and switches. It didn’t look hard, seeing most of everything was labeled. Even if not, Katie could program a computer’s hardware in her sleep. She adjusted the screen, and two windows appeared, one showcasing the concert and another, which was disconnected from the live feed, was connected to the cameras. She searched the crowd for any sign of the crystal.

“Hey Paul! I wasn’t sure if you wanted foam or not, so I got ya—”

A Pegasus pony walked through the curtain, but the moment he spotted his unconscious friend and a mage working the monitor, he screamed.

“It’s the prisoners! Don’t hurt me!”

He dropped the cup of expresso and was about to rush out, only for Keith to block him.

“Wait, wait, wait! We’re not—”

The pony didn’t listen and ran around the room, with Sunny and Izzy chasing after him in a futile effort to calm him down. The pony collided with Katie, causing her to pull on a lever which shut off the spotlight. Lance and Pipp stopped singing and hovered in place, flapping their wings to maintain the illusion they were flying.

“What the cheese?” Lance asked.

The spotlight reappeared, this time on Hitch and Hunk. The two froze in place and noticed the audience’s attention on them… and the music still playing. Hitch and Hunk looked at one another, unsure of what to do. Hitch, deciding to go with it, tried mimicking the lyrics to the song.

“Uhhh… Throwin' up, find a glove

Fly around, up above

Doin' stuff that I love

You're like, "Why?", I'm like, "What?"

He sang very off-key, which was unusual for him. But having no time to memorize the lyrics, only the rhythm, he struggled to dance correctly with all eyes watching. Hunk, standing very still, tried joining in by performing a very poor moonwalk and later a disco move where he swayed his hips to the side while pointing up-and-down with his hand.

The scared Pegasus stopped running long enough for him and the others to watch Hitch trying to sing the lyrics to the song, from the second window on the screen.

Lance, on the other hand, was furious seeing some strange pony stealing their spotlight.

“Who invited that guy?” Lance asked. “What the heck’s going on?”

“Not sure,” Pipp commented. “Though, I’d give that cover a one out of five.”

“Hey, Paul!” Lance clapped his hands. “Get that spotlight on the ‘real’ stars over here!”

While Hitch sang, Zipp finally caught up with Cloudpuff, who howled to Hitch’s singing. Her eyes widen after spotting the crystal just inches along the ground.

The Pegasus pony screamed again, this time jumping on the monitor and pressing all the buttons in panic.

“No, no, no, don’t!” Katie shouted.

Outside, Pipp and Lance’s wires started going haywire, pulling them backwards. The two screamed and the audience gasped in shock. While they were distracted, Zipp quickly grabbed the crystal and fled.

While Lance and Pipp zipped through the crowd on their wires, Allura sought her chance and slipped away from both her mother and Queen Haven. When she noticed the large crowd of people, she positioned herself and raced toward a wall, jumped and kicked off the side of the pillar, and propelled herself over the audience, who were too preoccupied watching the two pop stars flying around like crazy.

Allura performed an aerial flip and arrived at a four point landing, rushing towards Zipp, who waved the crystal.

“I got it!”

“Let’s go!”

Allura caught sight of Keith and the others, all emerging from the curtain.

“We need to go! Now!” Allura ushered, grabbing Keith’s arm.

“Aww, can’t we stay for the encore?” Izzy whined.

Katie grabbed her by the tail and yanked her away. But not before Hitch spotted them in the midst of his terrible dancing.

“Freeze!” He ordered.

Hunk, taking the order literally, froze right in the midst of his own terrible dance moves. A spotlight landed on the group as Sunny turned towards him.

“Hitch?”

Sunny couldn’t believe it, the moment the two locked eyes. Hitch, for a brief moment, suddenly realized he couldn’t arrest her. Badge or no, Sunny didn’t deserve prison. Perhaps it was his feelings talking, but as he stared into her stunned eyes, he couldn’t think straight.

“It’s the prisoners!”

A pony’s shout snapped the two of their trance. Then, as luck would have it, Hunk tripped (Having balanced on one foot) and grabbed onto Hitch’s faux wings, tearing them off, while breaking his own after landing on his back.

“Another Earth pony!” An elf woman screamed.

“And an earth elf!”

As guilty as Keith and Sunny felt about leaving their friends behind, Katie and Izzy dragged them away. Sunny looked over her shoulder, her eyes still locked onto Hitch, who didn’t flinch while everybody screamed at his presence.

Lance and Pipp became tangled in their own wires, unable to so much as flap their wings. They screamed in fright, terrified they’d fall and crack their skulls open. To their relief, they merely hung in mid-air with a *BOING!*. Lance’s arms were over his head, his legs tangled up in the wires. One was upwards, the other was bent. And one knee was practically against his chest. Pipp hung upside down, her wings spread open, and her hair a complete mess.

Rosalyn and Haven stood from their thrones, caring more for their children’s safety over the exposure of their deception.

“They’re fakes!”

“The royals can’t fly either?!”

Allura and Zipp stopped running, turning toward their distressed siblings. Much like with Sunny and Hitch, their eyes locked. Allura and Zipp could see the distress and fear in their younger siblings’ eyes. Pipp looked as though she could cry, while Lance looked utterly betrayed.

“Zipp…?” Pipp spoke.

“Allura…?” Lance uttered.

They wanted so badly to go up there and help their siblings, to explain ‘everything’ to them. But then they heard the others calling for them. The police would be after them soon, and they’d lose their chance to restore the magic. All Allura and Zipp could do was say ‘sorry’ through their eyes before running off, leaving their siblings ‘literally’ hanging as everybody took out their phones and started snapping pictures and recording.

Rosalyn looked out over toward the chaos, then slowly it dawned on her. She turned toward Have and, while she wasn’t looking, Rosalyn had a closer look at the ‘crown’ on the Queen’s head. Only then did Rosalyn put it together as a heavy sigh escaped her lips.

“What have we done?” She whispered.