• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 3,323 Views, 122 Comments

To Observe is Science! - Crimson Star



An offshoot of GeodesicDragon's story, set after To Love is Human.

  • ...
7
 122
 3,323

Screw Physics!

I stared at the stars for a long time after Geo left. He had dropped by to tell me that he wasn’t angry, and that relieved me. Something perturbed me, though, about my earlier conversation with Pinkie. A rock farm? That didn’t seem plausible. It was bothering me to the point where I couldn’t get any sleep, so, I went to the library, thinking Twilight had a book on it. I walked through the moonlit streets of Ponyville. As I drew near the door, I noticed the lights were still on. They must still be awake, I thought, so I gave the door a knock. It was Twilight, and she was looking very cross.

“Oh, sorry.” I apologized. “Is this a bad time, Twilight?” I asked.

She shook her head, and found her voice. “No, doctor. I was already awake. What’s going on?”

I hesitated. “Well, I can’t get any sleep. I was talking with Pinkie earlier, and she said something that sounded strange.” I looked at her. “Have you ever heard of a rock farm?”

Twilight looked up in thought. “No, not really.”

I sighed. “Well, I’m losing sleep over it. Apparently, Pinkie Pie grew up on one. I came here, hoping I could find a book on them.”

“In that case, come on in. I have a book on just about everything.” Twilight replied, opening the door. “Spike is already asleep, and Geo’s out for a walk right now. You should be able to get some studying done in peace.”

I thanked her, and entered. She began helping me look for some books on rock farms.

-------

We looked through every book twice, but neither of us could find anything about rock farms.

“That’s odd.” Twilight remarked, setting down the book she was holding with her magic. “Not one book about rock farms anywhere.”

I looked dejected, as I replaced the book I was searching through. “You don’t think she was lying to me, do you?”

Twilight shook her head. “I just know that I can’t find anything about rock farming.” She told me. “If the library doesn’t have anything on it, then it might not be an officially recognized term.”

I cocked an eyebrow. “An officially recognized term?” I inquired.

“There is an entire terminology to farming. It could be said that the agricultural community has their own language. It could be that a rock farm is likely a term for a farm that doesn’t make much produce.”

“Those exist?” I asked, half-jokingly.

“Not every Earth Pony is good at farming.” She replied, looking over to a tired Geo, who had just entered, and nodding towards him.

“I see.” I stated, nonchalantly. That answer seemed satisfactory to me. At least, it gave me enough closure to allow me to sleep. “In any case, thanks.” I waved goodbye, and moved to the door. “I guess I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

She showed me to the door. “Good night, Doctor.”

-------

I woke up early the next morning, and got a quick bite to eat. I was excited to finish my project. It only needed another hour of work. These things usually take a lot of time, but I guess I have a Tony Stark level of machine affinity. Later that morning, I was taking off through Ponyville in my Sorou-mobile shouting “Wooh! It works! It works! Yiiiii-haaaaw!” Yeah, I’m a southerner. Deal with it. In any case, I found the reactions of the various Pegasi in Ponyville hilarious. I don’t think they expected a human flying through the air on a metal podium. And for some reason, I just thought of Ron Paul. However, the last thing I expected was a blonde-tailed gray dock to suddenly enter my field of vision. Panicking and reacting quickly, I used the roll stick to perform an aileron roll, letting my ear graze some poor Pegasus’ bubbly cutie mark.

It was when I was hanging thirty feet above the ground by my arms, holding on for dear life to the safety bars of the upside down Sorou-mobile, that a thought occurred to me. I should’ve installed a seat belt. I looked up at the controls of the Sorou-mobile, and attempted to bring myself up to them. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the upper body strength. That’s the bad thing about being a scientist. You exercise your mind, but you let your body grow weak. My grip was slipping, my arms were giving out, and at any moment I could fall. I gave a laugh. “I should invest in a parachute. Or some hover boots.” I said aloud. “All the legit mad scientists have hover boots.”

“Acey?!” I heard from down below. If I turned, I would’ve only seen my shoulder, but I knew the voice.

“Hey, Pinks.” I replied, smiling.

Then, she asked the silliest question ever. “What are you doing up there?!”

To which I responded, “Oh, y’know, hanging around.” I chuckled. “Hey, could ya give me a hand?”

“Don’t worry, Acey!” I heard her respond. “I’ll get ya down! Just hang in there!”

I wondered if she made that joke on purpose. “Well, I can’t do much else, right now.” I said. “Just hurry up.”

I didn’t have to wait for long. Before I knew it, I heard the sound of propellers chopping through the air. “Here! Grab the candy cane!” Grab the candy cane? I sure didn’t see one at the moment, but then, a large candy cane pole was waved in front of me. It must be what she was talking about, and instead of wondering why a candy cane was suddenly waving in my face, I grabbed the foodstuff.

I felt the bar of candy, and it didn’t feel entirely stable. “I’m pretty sure that I’ll slip off this thing!” I told her. “Here! Just see if you can raise me enough to get to my craft’s controls!”

“Okay! Hold on tight!” The candy cane raised itself up, and my hand went with it, bringing me up until I was touching the roll stick.

“That’s good! That’s good!” I said, before pushing the stick so that the Sorou-mobile slowly righted itself. I climbed in the driver’s seat, hitting my head against the floor, and then got up, and sat in the chair. “Thanks, Pinks!” I said, looking over to her. “You’re a lifesav…er?” A confused look crossed my face. I saw that Pinkie was riding an unusual pedal-powered flying machine with a single four-blade main rotor system. Immediately, questions flew into my mind. Where’s the drive shaft? Where’s the anti-torque? What kind of rotorcraft is it classified as? Above all else, HOW IS SHE EVEN USING IT TO FLY?

“Hmm?” She looked at me questioningly. “What’s wrong?” A look of confusion formed on her face.

I shook my head. “I’m just…admiring your, uh, machine, Pinks.”

“Oh, thanks!” She said, grinning. “I made it myself! It’s called the candy copter mark five! It’s the first design. Do you like it?”

“How…?” Her statement has just raised a crapload of more questions in my mind. At least when I don’t make sense, I make sense about it, but this is outright silly! This must’ve been how Geo felt when we were discussing the name of my BIRDs! My lip quivered as I finally formed a sentence. “Well, it certainly is an engineering marvel.” Understatement of the freaking century. “I doubt even I could replicate it.”

“Yay!” She exclaimed, her smile growing wider than I thought possible.

“How does it work?” I asked. “I mean, how does power get from the pedals to the propeller?”

Pinkie looked up in thought, then shrugged. “I dunno.” I grimaced. Not exactly the answer I was looking for. She looked back at me, returning to her happy face. “But I’m glad ya like it, Acey!”

I didn’t say that, and as an astrophysicist, I really couldn’t say it. I thought her machine would fall out of the air at any given moment, and my first thought was to get her off of it ASAP. “I bet you’d enjoy riding in the Sorou-mobile, Pinks.” I told her. “You helped work on it, after all.” I just handled the actual construction, and I even know how it works, so I know for a fact it’s safe.

“Oooh! So it’s finished?!” She asked, looking at the craft I was sitting in.

“Yeah, I’m just taking it out for its smoke test.” I told her. “I was gonna stop by and visit Twilight with it.”

“Okey-dokey! Just a sec!” Success! I thought, as I watched Pinkie going in for a landing. I came in behind her with the Sorou-mobile, and landed. As she dismounted from her candy copter, she suddenly ate it. I did a double take. She ate her vehicle in one gulp. I then heard her let out a blaring burp, and saw her cough up the propeller, gears, chains, a flag, and a balloon, all the parts of her chopper that weren’t candy. She brought a hoof up to her mouth in embarrassment, and said in a cute little voice, “Excuse me.”

I looked on, astonished at what I saw. “You…ate your chopper.” I said, still unable to comprehend it.

“Uh, duh!” She stated, before trotting up to me. “It would’ve attracted ants if I just left it sitting around! And I can always build another one!”

I shook my head, trying to find a question in my head that made sense. “Let me put it this way: Why make a chopper made from edible materials?” I asked.

Pinkie hopped up into my lap, snuggling into a comfortable position. “So that you can have a snack on the go, silly!” She told me with a smile.

I gotta admit, her logic made perfect sense to me, so I just gave up on trying to come up with an explanation other than ‘she’s just being Pinkie Pie.’ I put a hand on her neck, and began to stroke her mane. I don’t know why I did it, but I could tell by her reaction she enjoyed it. “So, off to see Twilight?”

Pinkie snuggled into my chest, and sighed. “Mmhmm.” She breathed happily. I caught myself blushing, but I let her use me as a pillow. I went to grab the control sticks for the Sorou-mobile, when all of a sudden, Pinkie gasped. “Oh, wait! We can’t see Twilight!” She looked up at me, as if she just remembered.

“Why not?” I cocked an eyebrow.

“Because she was in a hissy fit! She told me that something happened last night, and she was really talking bad about John. She did say that she wanted us all there today at noon, though.”

I puffed. “Figures. Alright, then what do you wanna do until then?”

She put her head back up to my chest. “I’m kinda thirsty…” She told me.

I smiled down at her. “Well, let’s stop by someplace and get some drinks, ‘kay?”

Pinkie merely nodded, settling her head against my chest again. I smiled, and my hands went to the controls. The Sorou-mobile lifted off, and we went into town, riding in style. Once we really got going, Pinkie sat up, and looked down on Ponyville from the Sorou-mobile. I heard her ‘Ooohs’ and ‘Aaahs’ as we steadily made our way over all the scenery. She must’ve been enjoying being able to fly at a steadily high speed without having to petal. It must’ve been the first time she was actually able to relax while flying. “Ooh!” She blurted. “There’s Rose!” She raised herself up, and waved a hoof down below. “Hey, Rose!” She shouted down. “I have something for your mom!” She produced a package from…God knows where…and tossed it down to the pony below. “Hope she gets well, soon!”

Ignoring the fact that she’s producing things from thin air, now, I decided to make some conversation with Pinkie. “What’s wrong with Rose’s mom?” I asked.

“Oh, she got hurt in her garden last week.” Pinkie told me. “Doctors say that she needs a few days in the hospital to recover.”

“Well, my thoughts go out to her.” I said, feeling sympathy for the poor mare. “Let Rose know that when you see her again.”

“No problem, Acey!’ Pinkie said, looking back at me. I noticed as I drove through the sky, she was staring. I paid attention to where I was going though, giving no hint that I noticed her, but I did make a mental note of it. For a moment, Pinkie looked like she was gonna say something, but she stopped herself, before looking back down below. Suddenly, Pinkie looked up with a big smile. “Hey! There’s sugarcube corner! Let’s get some sarsaparilla!” She suggested.

“Sounds like a plan to me!” I took the Sorou-mobile in for a landing, parking it on one side of the door. We spent the rest of the morning talking amongst ourselves, making idle conversation. After an hour or two of chatting, we got in the Sorou-mobile, and flew to the library. Pinkie Pie sat in my lap, and I held tightly to her. We both shared a large smile, and she got herself into a comfortable position, leaning her head on my shoulder.