• Published 13th Oct 2021
  • 817 Views, 12 Comments

Conversations Atop A Hill - Undome Tinwe



Cozy Glow and Princess Flurry Heart discuss love, power, and the ties that bind.

  • ...
4
 12
 817

The Fault In The Stars

"The stars are beautiful tonight," Flurry commented as they lay on their backs, facing up towards the heavens. "Luna did a great job."

"Mhm." Beside her, Cozy absently picked at the grass beneath them. "You know, I figured when she retired someone else would take over arranging the stars. It was weird waking up from the statue and seeing that she was still doing it."

"Luna's always been the most interesting of the princesses to me," Flurry said. "She held the most magical power of all the princesses, but the least political power."

Cozy's head tilted in confusion. "I thought Twilight was the Element of Magic?"

Flurry shook her head. "We both know that power is about much more than raw strength. Luna's control over the dream realm lets her exert control over everycreature in a way that isn't possible with big laser blasts. We're lucky she went for brute force when she was corrupted, or we'd be living in a kingdom of eternal night right now."

"You know, I think we'd be fine in that world," Cozy mused, turning her head upwards. "Well, I'd be fine, anyways. Nightmare Moon would've needed help running things, and I'd have made a great spymaster."

"You would." A nod accompanied Flurry's agreement. "If I wasn't planning on making you my queen, that'd probably be the role I gave you."

Cozy beamed. "Aww, you'd actually trust me enough for that?"

Flurry ruffled her mane. "I'd have made sure you wouldn't be able to even conceive of betraying me before giving you that position, one way or another."

That lit up a smoulder in Cozy's eyes. "You gotta tell me all about how you'd do that later tonight."

Flurry laughed. "Have I told you how cute you are lately?"

Cozy pressed a hoof against her chin, her face scrunching up in thought. "It's been at least a day, so no, not lately."

"Well, you're adorable and I love you," Flurry said with absolute conviction. "And I'm glad you're mine and not serving some other villain."

"You'd never have any chance of taking over the world if I was on the other side," Cozy agreed.

Flurry raised an eyebrow. "Oh, really?"

"You'd have to seduce me over to you," Cozy said with utmost seriousness before cracking her own grin. "But seriously, I'm glad I'm not stuck with Luna. She scares me."

"Me too," Flurry admitted. "Which is why it's really interesting that she's never held any significant political power. Even if she'd never use her powers like that, the fact that she could should have provided her some leverage."

"Maybe she just didn't care?" Cozy suggested. "Crazy idea, I know, but some ponies don't actually care about holding dominion over others. They're the most annoying to manipulate."

"She tried to conquer all of Equestria by herself because she was jealous of the power her sister wielded," Flurry countered.

"I guess." There was a moment of silence as the two mares considered this conundrum. "Honestly, all the princesses are kinda weird, when you think about it. They basically become rulers because they were good at fighting, but now they actually have to rule."

"Technically, Harmony chose them for their virtue." Both of them very pointedly did not mention Flurry herself.

Cozy snorted. "Harmony made them alicorns, but they became rulers because they defeated the last person in charge. Might makes right and stuff. That's how it worked back then, before your time."

"They've all made for satisfactory rulers, though," Flurry pointed out.

"Harmony got lucky." Cozy turned to press a kiss against her lover's cheek. "Who cares about what the old guard think, anyways? They were from a different time, and things work differently now. When you become queen, it won't be because of a spell — it'll be because you won the hearts of everypony. That's what Luna couldn't do, and she was too weak or dumb to use her magic to force it."

"I respect her adhering to her principles," Flurry said. "But you're right, I'm different from them. Still, I think there's a lot to be learned from the past."

"Well, knock yourself out," Cozy replied. "Ask Luna next time you see her. You've got that privilege, so you might as well leverage every advantage you have." She gave her another kiss, wrapping her hooves around her neck as she leaned in to whisper in Flurry's ear. "Every single one."

Flurry's horn lit up, and Cozy gasped as she felt her wings being softly stroked with magic. "Every one, huh?"

"I want you to take every advantage of me you can, my future queen." With that, the two of them gave themselves up to their passion, forgetting the tapestry of stars above.