• ...
5
 30
 1,234

Chapter 14

That night, Spider-Girl was hanging from the ledge of a window of the third floor of a downtown bank. Hidden in the dead of night above the street lamps, she worked quickly. She knew that a bank robbery was taking place and she also knew that she only had one chance to get her goal.

Moving the lenses to keep the entrance to the bench in focus, she attached the camera to the bottom of the window ledge using a glob of the sticky cobweb. Spider-Girl, listening carefully, waited for the robbers to come out of the bank.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps was heard at the door. Spider-Girl triggered the self-timer camera to the view out the three robbers, and then jumped into action.

Moving with the help of a cobweb, she pounced on the thieves just as her camera's flash fired. During the short fight that followed, the camera continued to take a series of photos of Spider-Girl in action.

Finally, Spider-Girl tied the robbers in a sack of cobwebs (along with a note to the police) and she ascended the front of the building, retrieving her camera and then disappearing into the night.


The next day, at the Pony New Network offices, Twilight Sparkle handed Applejack a bunch of photos.

After taking a look at the snapshots of Spider-Girl weaving her webs and battling the thieves, Applejack nodded and smiled.

"They're good" she said to Twilight "They're very good. How did you get them?"

"If I tell you, you will send your own photographer" Twilight said smiling at Applejack "Will you hire me?"

"It's not up to me," Applejack explained, shrugging "Filthy Rich is personally in charge of hiring the squad".

At that moment, a young woman with a camera around her neck rushed out of Filthy Rich's office with tousled clothes, disheveled hair, and an expression that clearly reflected the horrors she must have suffered in the office she was now leaving.

Filthy Rich's voice boomed from the open door.

"I told you to get me a photo, Starlight!" he yelled, "Not an inkblot! Why can't anyone get me a decent picture of that puppet in disguise? Get out of here, Starlight!"

Applejack looked at Twilight as Starlight shuffled toward the exit.

"Filthy Rich is also personally in charge of firing the staff too" she said, raising her eyebrows.

Filthy Rich stormed out of his office, still screaming.

"And Starlight..." he blurted out "Do me a favor and buy you some good clothes!"

Starlight ran out of the newsroom, leaving Filthy Rich with his focus on Twilight.

"And who are you?" he yelled at the eager young woman before him.

"This girl has pictures of Spider-Girl, boss" Applejack explained.

"Okay, don't just stand there" Filthy Rich yelled at her "Bring them here".

Twilight and Applejack followed Filthy Rich into his office. The editor took the photos from Applejack's hands and glanced at them, dropping them onto his desk as he looked at them.

"Rubbish!" he muttered after looking at the first photo.

"Rubbish! Rubbish! Rubbish!" he repeated after seeing the second, third and fourth.

Twilight glanced at Applejack, who returned a knowing wink.

"They're very bad" said Filthy Rich when he finished seeing them. The last thing he wanted to do was cheer on a high-paying novice photographer. Especially one who brought her some great photos like those.

"I'll give you three hundred for all".

Twilight, emboldened by Applejack's gesture and knowing that no one could get photos like that, spoke calmly but firmly.

"It seems like little money to me" she said.

"Good" Filthy Rich snapped, "Then take them to someone else".

Twilight took the photos and started to leave.

"Wait a minute!" Filthy Rich ordered, annoyed that the rookie had discovered her game "Okay. I'll give you five hundred. That's the normal rate for a standard free-lance".

Twilight agreed and gave the photos back to Filthy Rich, who passed them on to Applejack.

"Tear up the first page" Filthy Rich whispered, pointing to one of the photos of Spider-Girl as he battled the robbers. "Put this photo".

"Wow!" Twilight thought "First page! I should have asked for more money!"

"Headline?" Applejack asked his boss.

"Spider-Girl: Heroine or Menace?" Filthy Rich replied, without a moment's hesitation "Pony New Network exclusive photos!".

"Menace?" Twilight asked, shaking her head "Mr. Rich, she stopped the robbery and caught the robbers..."

"Who are you, her lawyer?" Filthy Rich yelled at him, furious "You take the pictures and I write the headlines. Ok?"

"Yes, Mr. Rich" Twilight replied, realizing that the discussion would get her nowhere. Then she added quickly: "I would like you to hire me, sir."

"Nothing of work!" snapped Filthy Rich "Being a free-lance is the best for a girl your age. Bring me more pictures of that newspaper-selling clown and I'll take them off your hands".

Twilight nodded, winked at Applejack in thanks, turned and left the office with a resolute air.


Over the next several weeks, Twilight got fantastic photos of Spider-Girl in action with her camera and self-timer. Filthy Rich was gladly buying them and publishing them on the cover of her newspapers.

But despite images of Spider-Girl foiling robberies, rescuing people from burning buildings and arresting robbers who robbed innocent victims, Filthy Rich continued his campaign of attacks on Spider-Girl. Headlines like: "CANTERLOT CITY FEARS THE COWARD IN DISGUISE! SPIDER-GIRL: SUPERHEROINE OR SUPERZERO?" and "THE BIG APPLE FEARS THE SPIDER BITE!" they drew attention on the front page of the newspaper, day after day, accompanied by photos of Twilight.

"Why is he so hard on her?" Twilight asked Filthy Rich one morning as she handed him the last batch of arachnid photos.

"She is believed to be law and order" answered Filthy Rich "In this society there is no room for self-righteous justice. Once a person takes the law for himself, there is only one step left for anarchy".

Unsatisfied with Filthy Rich's response, Twilight spoke up.

"Mr. Rich" she began cautiously "I would like you to commission me some other work that don't have to do with Spider-Girl".

"No!" Filthy Rich barked "You'll keep doing what you do".

"Filthy Rich" said Applejack, who was just peeking out the door. "Let's send Twilight to cover the CinchCorp's World Unity Festival. We have to send someone".

"The World Unity Festival..." mumble Filthy Rich "Wow grace! Another sign of the great ego of Abacus Cinch. Good. Send Sparkle. And you, get out and get me pictures!".

"Yes, Mr. Rich" Twilight replied smiling at Applejack, who had once again supported her in front of her angry boss.


CinchCorp Industries's headquarters in Manehattan stood like a great medieval tower in the jagged skyline of Canterlot City. In the boardroom on one of the upper floors of the building, Abacus Cinch addressed the members of the board of directors.

"I am pleased to announce" she began in her typical smug tone of superiority "that as of today, CinchCorp Industries has surpassed Crystal Aerospace as the leading supplier to the United States's army. Since Crystal Aerospace suffered that tragic incident, our costs have been reduced, our revenues have grown and our inventories have never been higher".

Mr. Balkan glanced at his fellow board members and, clearing his throat, turned to Cinch.

"Such good news!" he announced "In fact, that is the reason why we decided to sell the company".

Cinch went pale and swallowed hard.

"What!?" she screamed "I don't understand".

"Crystal Aerospace has obtained new financing after the attack that suffered" explained Balkan calmly "They are going to buy CinchCorp".

"They can't... do that..." Cinch stammered "I have built this company!"

Mr. Fargas was the next to speak, turning his wheelchair to face Cinch.

"As a matter of fact, Cinch" began "they want you out. This board expects you to present your resignation in thirty days."

"Please, Fargas ..." Cinch begged "Don't do it!"

"Sorry, Cinch" Balkan replied "The board has unanimously agreed. We will announce the sale right after the World Unity Festival. You're out".

"Out?" Cinch muttered to herself with a menacing tone in her voice "We'll see..."

Author's Note:

Does anyone else feel that something bad is about to happen?:twilightoops: