• Published 22nd Dec 2011
  • 6,331 Views, 92 Comments

The Trouble With Time Travel - SolvableSphinx



Twilight Sparkle is sent to the past, although not the one she knows.

  • ...
14
 92
 6,331

Chapter 7: The Last of the Preparations

[Author's note:

Fair warning, first. The first part of this chapter is parliamentary procedure.]

Chapter 7: The Last of the Preparations

“AND THUS WE WOULD URGE ALL GOODLY LIFEFORMS TO JOIN WITH US, AND GIVE BIRTH TO A NEW LUNAR REPUBLIC!” Night Mare Moon declared at the top of her impressive voice. Fortunately the effect was somewhat dampened by the fact that the ponies in the temporary center of government for Equestria were viewing it through a television, although most of the humans were clearly wincing at her volume. Those that were not looked grave, save for a few that were openly snickering for some reason.

“Ven vill ve tell ze little horsy zat ve already have one of those? And zat’s just the moon colony that openly succeeded from ze Chinese.” a voice to could be heard.

“Your mic’s on,” another voice said.

“I do not hear ze mike.”

“The audio’s been cut from the chamber, but it’ll be on the television.”

“Oh. So zat’s why zat light is green!”

Rarity was in the temporary royal office, as was Lyra. Prince Blueblood stared at the television, unsure of what to make of it all. Mayor Mare seemed equally baffled. Their agent, Octavia, was as unreadable as ever. The brown earth pony Scratch Pad was scribbling every word down in that shorthand that he gained fame for. Lyra, for her part, was physically exhausted, having to replace the set twice already. The three little fillies were still with them, occasionally becoming enraptured with the television but for the most part enjoying being so close to a place with a lot of different things happening.

One thing that Rarity noticed since this began was that the chamber seemed to be filling up with more humans, in various forms of attire. Most were wearing attire that she recognized as being formal, or at least businesslike. Some seemed more casual, and a few seemed so rustic and utilitarian in her eyes that they would probably fit in well with Sweet Apple Acres.

There were also a larger number of guards. Quiet a few, in fact. Enough for a princess at court. Rarity found that she could at least approve of their taste in uniforms and their currently silent display of discipline. Grey pants did not clash with the high colored green coats, and those coats in turn were adorned in golden embroidering on the collar and sleeves. Gold was also included in the buttons and the epaulettes, and a white sash with a large gold buckle in the center. Leather calf high boots were also used in their uniform, as were black leather and gold decorated ‘jocky caps’ with white and red plumage. It was probably a display of elite status within the unit, as well as their wealth. Foreign, but not alien in the slightest.

Most peculiar were their weapons. A few had curved silver sabres, flashy but the sort of sidearm one would expect. Most of the guards were shouldering what appeared to be a miniature gun, about 40 inches in length, which could be held in two hands. It was perhaps the most alien element, practically useless to anything without their fingers and made of black metal and an unusual sort of black plastic.

There was an awkward silence. A few of the humans in the chamber talking among themselves. Prince Blueblood was fidgeting from where he sat.

“They’re being quiet. Is quiet good? Is it about? Are these things going to ally with the enemy? Are they our enemies?” Blueblood asked with nervous energy.

“Your excellency,” their Governor began, clearly trying to remain composed and break the silence in as tactful a manner as possible. “I appreciate being brought up to speed as to the current events of our newfound neighbors, as I am sure my fellow colleagues are. However, we need some elaboration. You want the Colonial Territory of Navarro to ally with you and to provide material and military aid in your efforts to enact regime change against what you have present as an illegitimate government. Am I mistaken?”

“You are not, Madam Governor,” Night Mare Moon said. “We see much potential in your people, and wish to bring them in. If not as partners, then as close friends. But time is of the essence.”

“I’m afraid the decision is not in my hands,” Governor Chapman said.

“Of course. You may communicate with your sovereign and extend to them Our greetings,” Night Mare Moon said in an understanding tone.

“I’m afraid I cannot do that either,” the governor replied. “Not out of unwillingness, but inability. As we have mentioned previously, we are not native to this world. We arrived by means of a phenomina known to our people as a wormhole. That wormhole has collapsed, and we are cut off from our homelands.”

“A most unfortunate turn of events,” Night Mare Moon said. “But that simply means that it imperative to make a decision. Shall you side with us, Madame Governor.”

“I’m afraid, again, the decision is not in my hands,” the governor stated.

“We grow impatient with your stalling. Are you not the governor of this territory? Do you not rule these people on behalf of your sovereign? Or are you so weak a viceroy that you need to be tended to as a small foal?” Night Mare Moon challenged.

“I am the Head of Government, and the Commander and Chief of the Militia and the Division of Rangers. But I do not make decisions in regards to our sovereignty. The lawfully selected representatives of the electorate will,” the governor said. She then looked over to her right. “Dan…”

“Jack,” the Lt. Governor replied, before standing up. The governor let him take the podium, and he cleared his throat.

“An issue has arisen that is beyond the legal scope of this Legislature. Wherein we have been cut off from our homelands, wherein we have been contacted by an alien, foreign power seeking an alliance, and wherein the question of sovereignty still remains on the tabled, and wherein the Treaty of Austin and the Navarro Territorial Charter does lay down the authority of a congress and the calling of a congress, the Governor has thus suggested that a Congress therefore be called. Is there a motion from this joint special session of the legislature to call forth a Congress?”

The camera shifted, showing a man in a blue button shirt. “The Representative from District 8 motions to call forth a Congress in regards to the current emergency.”

The camera shifted again to a woman in a black dress. “The legislature is empowered to deal with the emergency. And this situation shows exactly why we must move on from your Texan obstructionism on certain crucial matters. The Senator from Orleans County motions to call forth a Congress in regards to sovereignty and nationhood.”

It shifted again to a man wearing a plaid shirt and Stetson hat. “That issue can be tabled for another day. The Senator from Gun Town and Mathew’s Ranch motions that a Congress be called forth to establish formal diplomatic contact with Equestria and expand our universitys’ exploration programs in light of recent discoveries and circumstances.”

Another shift, this time to a man in a suit. “Ze Represtative from District 11 sees no reason vhy ve cannot decide on both things at once.”

Another shift, another person, an olive skinned woman in a red and white business attire in particular. “The Representative from District 1 agrees. We cannot make a binding treaty on our own behalf if we are not a nation in our own right, and regardless of what we decide it is obvious now that we are not alone.”

“Does this motion please the Senator from Orleans County and the Senator from Gun Town and Mathew’s Ranch?” The Lt. Governor asked.

“I find it acceptable.”

“As do I.”

“A motion from this joint special session of the Navarro Legislature has been put forward to call forth a Congress to determine the issue of nationhood, establish contact with the nation styled Equestria, and to expand current exploration programs with an eye towards finding other thinking beings. Madam Secretary, do we have a quarom?”

“We do, Mister President.”

“Then a vote shall be put forward. Please indicate a vote yea, nay or abstaining through your terminal now.”

There was another moment of silence, which stretched for half a minute. The screen then showed a list of names, divided into the categories of ‘yea’, ‘nay’, ‘abstaining’ and ‘absent’, listing party affiliation and district.

“The vote had been determined to be 53 yea, 11 nay, 4 abstaining and 7 absent. The 4th Navarro Colonial Congress shall commence at eight o’clock in the morning tomorrow. This special session of the Legislature is now abjourned.”

“Finally. Now can bring some good sense to these bumblers and rednecks.”

“Why do people keep on forgetting that we have these things called microphones that lets them be heard to people not around them?”

From that one comment the chamber soon devolved into a flurry of yelling as every personal and ancestral grievance were aired out. The focus was on Night Mare Moon, looking around confused and wondering what exactly she had gotten herself into. When it switched to the podium, the Lt. Governor was banging his gavel against the wood block loudly while yelling. The Governor had leaned forward, covering her face with her hands in frustration and shame. For some reason Rarity could almost hear her say something about desirable objects, and why they cannot maintain possession of said objects.

Lyra turned down the television once more, likely trying to save herself a headache.

“How charmingly liberal,” Octavia deadpanned. “Your majesty, I believe Equestria has all the time needs.”

~ ~ ~

“… and that’s how I got here.” Twilight concluded, laying back down against the bed and closing her eyes.

She felt exhausted. A part of it was a side effect of her spell, as forcing so much foreign magic and growing so quickly was very tiring. But it was also emotionally exhaustive. She had believed that she had travel through time. Actually explaining things, though, and hearing the differences from her… from this version of her friends… lead to another conclusion.

‘What if the many worlds theory is true?’ Twilight asked to herself. ‘What if I’m never going home.’

“Well, I’ll admit that’s a bit of a tall tale,” Applejack said. “But at the very least ya’ believe that you’re telling the truth.”

“Everything’s been going crazy, so might as well this thing go crazy too,” Rainbow Dash said, before looking between Fluttershy and Applejack. “So… what exactly happened to you two anyway?”

“Oh, well, um…” Fluttershy said in her deep, manly voice.

“Fluttershy made some sort of strange tea that did this to us,” Applejack said.

“It’s poison joke,” Twilight said, still not opening her eyes. “Puns, actually. ‘Appletiny’ and ‘Flutterguy’.”

Rainbow Dash snorted a little in laughter, earning a harsh look from Applejack and an embarrassed blush from Fluttershy. “What?” the blue pegasus asked. “It is kind of funny. I can go ahead and fly to Zecora’s and she can brew an antidote.”

“I wouldn’t just go to the Everfree,” Twiligth said, looking between the trio. “Night Mare Moon retreated there the last time we confronted her. This time she’s just as likely to have traps prepared.”

“Well… that makes sense…” Rainbow Dash said, figiting. “But it doesn’t feel right to just leave her there.”

“Zecora…” Applejack said quietly to herself. “Sounds like a Zebracan name. Sweet Apple Acres has an export deal to their lands, and they can’t get enough of our cider.”

“I wouldn’t mind meeting a zebra…” Fluttershy said quietly to herself.

“How exactly do you know Zecora?” Twilight asked.

“It was a… night flying accident,” Rainbow Dash said, earning a look of curiosity from Twilight. Rainbow Dash began to look uncomfortable, almost backing away from Twilight. “She helped me out when I needed it the most. Let’s just leave it at. Please?”

“Okay,” Twilight yawning a bit.

“You look tired,” Fluttershy said. “Maybe we should come back later.”

“I agree with Fluttershy. Ya’ need your rest. We don’t need ta’ run off half-cocked when we still got the sun an’ all,” Applejack said.

“I’ll need more information. A lot more,” Twilight said. “I’d like to walk in with a bit more of a plan than ‘go towards the old castle and hope for the best.’”

“We’ll see what we can do,” Rainbow Dash said. “See you later?”

“Sure,” Twilight said, laying back down. She could hear the three leave, and a muffled greeting.

“Lunch time,” a feminine voice said from the door. Twilight assumed it was one of the nurses. She heard her pushing a small cart as well. “You look beat. Need another blanket?”

“That would be nice,” Twilight said. She could hear the rustle of fabric, and soon felt another blanket fall over her. The nurse then adjusted it for her. “What’s for lunch?”

“My own special recipe. Why don’t you see for yourself?” the nurse asked.

Twilight nodded, bringing herself to open her eyes and look at whatever the nurse brought. The nurse seemed familiar, until the sudden realization hit her. Her pink fur seemed dull, and she was wearing a curly black wig, but it was obvious that it was none other than Pinkie Pie wearing a nurse’s gown and hat. She had a manic look on her face that frankly scared her, holding a tray of pastries in her hooves.

“WHO WANTS CUPCAKES?!”

Twilight laughed nervously. “Oh… well… I can’t… I mean, it’s so late... I mean, early... and I'm so tired…”

“Oh Twilight, you're treading dangerously close to o/~heresy o/~. 'Cause it’s never too late for cupcakes,” insisted Pinkie, taking one and stuffing it in Twilight’s mouth. Twilight tried to crew, but it was too much at once and didn’t taste that good, so she spat it out over the side of her bed.

“Aww… now you’ve made a mess,” Pinkie Pie said.

“Dear Celestia, what’s with you Pinkie?!” Twilight asked. “And why did that cupcake taste like flavored chalk?”

“Oh you silly goose, the cupcakes are cellular polypeptides! With mint frosting! They’re good for you ‘cause they have polypeptides and electrolytes and stuff,” Pinkie said, setting the tray on the bed. “But I heard everything because I hear everything and boy I gotta tell you your story is a doosie. But you’ve had a biiiiiig growth spurt so you’re a growing pony, which means you’ve got growing pony needs and need to be eat right and stuff and things and stuff. But all going to be okay because you’re Aunt Pinkie is here to help her little cousin! Now let me going and find the doctor so that we can get some those itchy wires and stuff off of you.”

Pinkie Pie began to bounce on her hooves, and quickly left the room.

“Wait,” Twilight yelled. “That’s completely unnecessary! AND I’M THIRTY YEARS OLDER THAN YOU!”

~ ~ ~

It was evening in Ponyville. The sun was setting, painting the sky with majestic hues of orange and yellow. There was a fair showing of red, more than usual, which the weather ponies believed to be from the fires in Canterlot. The city no longer faced the threat of being razed wholesale, but the fires were enough to destroy many important government offices and cultural artifacts. For now Equestria was a nation with two capitols, the de jure seat of government where the parliament and the majority of the bureaucracy performed their work, and the de facto resident of the sovereign.

During a normal day the city of Ponyville would be winding down, it’s residents preparing to enjoy an evening with their family and friends. Instead the city bustled with work. Soldiers sent to protect the Prince were put to work rather than be left to patrol and sit in garrison. Themselves and numerous contractors were busy assembling temporary buildings so that those attending to Prince could live and work in relative comfort without quartering in the homes of Ponyville’s residents.

The restaurants were busy preparing meals for the new ponies in town. Pegasus couriers darted across the sky, sending letters and bringing cargo. The roads of the city were already filled with drawn wagons and carriages bringing with them a variety of goods and supplies.

Through this mess walked a small collection of ponies. Most of them were in the ornate golden armor of the Royal Guard. Four in particular stood out, however. Blueblood, the man they were protecting, Rarity, who Blueblood was talking with, and Lyra, who appeared worn out and simply along for the ride. Octavia walked along as well, silent and observant as always.

“I must admit that I have admired your performance during this crisis, Lieutenant Belle. Of both yourself and the ponies of your militia,” Blueblood said.

“Oh, you flatter me,” Rarity said. “My ponies do deserve it, though. Even Warrant Officer Heartstring’s…”

“Lyra…” the mint green unicorn half heartedly corrected.

“… ingenious devices made from stolen parts.”

“Yes. The signals corps has detected a very large amount of transmissions, now that they know what to look for,” Blueblood said. “And I’ve contacted the Royal Academy. The transcripts and recordings that have been taken thus far are being analyzed by the nation’s equinologists. So at the very least the diplomats will be ready for ‘first contact’.”

“An ugly phrase for what should a magnificent event,” Rarity said. “I am worried, however. If their documentaries are anything to go by, this ‘Navarro’ would be a formidable military opponent.”

“That’s not the worst of it,” Blueblood said. “There is a larger geographical issue, which will have its own political implications. Think about it Lieutenant. A strange group of beings happens to show up in the disputed lands of the Principality of Equestria and the Griffonic Empire, an area seemingly healed from the scar left upon it by the Last War, which is now on the verge of declaring itself a full and independent nation. A republican one, at that. And the first pony they meet is none other then that pretender who did something to Auntie.”

Rarity made an uncomfortable noise. “The Griffins wouldn’t think…”

“I’m not sure,” Blueblood admitted. “I’ll have to find some ponies to start working on that contingency. When they aren’t working on how to contain Night Mare Moon.”

“How is that coming along?” Rarity asked.

“My generals and your captain are deciding what to do,” Blueblood said. “The generals are impressed with Captain McIntosh’s knowledge of theory, and the Ponyville Milita has more field experience then most companies of regulars.”

“Surely you’re joking,” Rarity said. “All we’ve done is our part.”

“Risking your lives and sacrificing your treasure to contain that,” Blueblood said, point a hoof at the Everfree forest. “There was a very good reason that our people have abandoned the Old Capitol, so do not sell yourself short. The ponies here are far more noble then the titled courtiers. And you are a lady of considerable talent.”

“Oh, well, I…” Rarity stuttered, flustered at the compliment, before giving a nervous laugh.

“Just kiss already,” Lyra groaned out, earning a sharp look from Rarity. “What? I’m tired and it’s not like I’ll get a promotion anyway.”

“And now we are at your destination,” Blueblood said, giving a wave to Carousal Boutique. “It has been wonderful making your acquittance, Lieutenant Belle.”

“And it is my pleasure to make yours, Prince Blueblood,” Rarity said, giving him a slight bow.

“And don’t worry about my safety. Agent Octavia is more than scary enough to prevent any harm from coming to myself.”

“I’m right here, your majesty,” Octavia deadpanned.

“Most excellent. Then I know that you’ll hear the compliments I give you. Now, the Baroness of Everfree has requested an audience and I do not wish to leave her waiting. Good day to you both.”

The group began to walk off, heading in the general direction of hospital. Lyra at least had the good sense to collapse after royalty walked out of eyeshot.

“Don’t you have your own home to go to?” Rarity asked suspiciously.

“Bonbon’s boyfriend’s in from Canterlot,” Lyra said. “I do not want to wake up to them… well… let’s change the topic. Where’s your sister?”

“With Captain Macintosh. They’ll be here for a sleepover later,” Rarity thought for a moment. “I suppose I could use an extra set of hooves.”

“Thanks,” Lyra said, slowly regaining composure. She then looked up, for some reason. Rarity followed the direction of the look, and noticed a certain blue pegasus flying down.

“Hey,” Rainbow Dash said. “So, since you’re both in uniform…”

“We’re off duty,” Rarity responded.

“Oh thank Faust,” Rainbow Dash said in relief. “Listen, I’m running damage control right now. Pinkie Pie’s trying to take care of Twilight Sparkle. Applejack’s smaller than Applebloom right now because of a magic plant, and she’s demanded an audience with the Prince. My friend Fluttershy has gotten into the same plant and doesn’t know the first thing about dealing with other ponies. She also sounds like a blues singer.”

“And what am I expected to do?” Rarity asked.

“I don’t know!” Rainbow Dashed almost yelled in frustration. “It’s like I’m the only sane pony left. First I find out that Applejack has some obscure title, and then I…”

“Wait,” Lyra said, confused. “Applejack? I thought Granny Smith had the title.”

“She passed it on to Applejack,” Rainbow Dash replied. “Big Mac just wants to play with magic and numbers and to raise apple trees. And do the whole ‘run the town militia’ thing I guess.”

“Hold on,” Rarity said, quickly catching what everyone else is saying. “Applejack is titled? I knew she was effectively head of the Apple Cartel, but not nobility.”

“Yeah. Baroness Everfree, apparently,” Rainbow Dash said, noticing the look of shock on Rarity’s face. “I know! I live on her farm and even I didn’t know about it. So now there’s going to be a big mess of confusion and…”

“Say no more,” Rarity said. “Heartstrings…”

“Lyr… why do I even try anymore?”

“I’ll need you to foal sit again,” Rarity said. “Consider it payment for your imposition on me tonight. Rainbow Dash, where do you need me most?”

“Hospital. AJ’s convinced that Twilight has some big plan. Twilight’s just about ready to burst into flames. I know a back way. If we hurry, we can get there before the Prince does and get Pinkie to start acting normalish again.”

~ ~ ~

Twilight Sparkle was at the end of her rope, literally and figuratively.

The room bustling with activity. Pinkie Pie and Nurse Redheart were in a heated argument, and it looked like Redheart was three steps away from taking a needle full of sedatives and shoving it into Pinkie’s flank. Fluttershy was trying to act as mediator, but so far her stuttering efforts did little to defuse the situation. Applejack was content to sit on the heart monitor, watching the situation with detached interest.

That did not help Twilight in the least. She was bandaged like a mummy, her legs held up by some contraption. She tried to struggle out of it, but Pinkie Pie was freakishly good at binding things. Worst of all, she had a headache.

“But your majesty, surely you need more time,” she could hear Rarity say in the distance.

“IT’S A FREAKIN’ MADHOUSE IN THERE!” Twilight could hear Rainbow Dash yell. “I MEAN, I KNOW YOU DON’T HAVE THIS WHOLE ‘PRINCE’ THING DOWN, BUT CAN’T YOU MEET THE COUNTESS SOMEPLACE A BIT MORE REGAL?!”

“YOU NEED NOT USE THE ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE! I KNOW IT FAR TOO WELL TO BE COMPELLED BY IT! I MAY APPRECIATE THE COUNCIL OF MY AUNTIE’S STUDENTS BUT I AM NOT BOUND TO ACT UPON IT WHEN IT IS OF THINGS THEY KNOW NOT OF!” Blueblood yelled.

It was too much. Blueblood and his entourage were walking into the room. It was too much. Demands were being made, there was yelling all around. It was too much. Now ponies were scrambling around, no regard to for each other or herself.

It was all too much. She was angry, frustrated, tired… the world seemed to turn red. Her bindings broke, her bandages where incinerated with the flames of her fury. Her mane turned to fire and her coat turned to the purest white as she entered in a rare state of rage that few unicorns could achieve.

“SHUT UP!” Twilight yelled.

“Holy manure,” Applejack muttered.

“I HURT!” the flaming pony yelled, her voice gaining an ethereal echo of the divine use of the Royal Canterlot Voice. “I HAVE A HEADACHE! I HAVE A HORN ACHE! MY WHOLE BODY ACHES! I’M TIRED! I’M DEPRESSED! PINKIE PIE WON’T LEAVE ME ALONE! MY FRIENDS ARE CROWDING ME! AND NOW THE MOST USELESS HALF OF THE ROYAL COURT IS HERE!”

“WHAT DO YOU PONIES WANT FROM ME? DO YOU JUST WANT TO SEE ME SUFFER?!” She then turned to Pinkie Pie, pointing an accusing hoof at her. “ESPECIALLY YOU! I AM FAR TOO OLD TO BE FORCED TO DEAL WITH THIS JUVENILE CS! ONE PRANK, FINE! I’M A BIG ENOUGH PONY TO HAVE A LITTLE BACK AND FORTH! BUT THIS SUFFOCATING TORTURE, YOUR SMOTHERING ATTEMPTS AT MOCKING THE HEALTH CARE PROFESSION GOES TOO FAR!

“SO, WHAT DO YOU ALL WANT FROM ME?! ANYPONY?! ANYONE?!!!?

“Did… is Celestia’s student on fire?” Rarity asked, deathly quiet.

“DID TWILIGHT SPARKLE JUST BURST INTO FLAMES?!” Rainbow Dash yelled out.

“DO WE HAVE ANOTHER GODDESS?!” Prince Blueblood asked, panicked. “Why does this town have a goddess. Why didn’t anyone tell me we have another goddess?! Is she the pretender, or somepony else?”

“QUIET!!!!” Redheart yelled. Although a common earth pony, and a simple medical pony at that, she had years of uncooperative patients to give her voice that needed authoritative edge. Even more, years of being a caretaker had effectively made her Mom. Every pony froze, except for Twilight, who looked around the room before finally returning to normal.

Twilight then screamed in pain. Redheart moved, firmly but gently holding the unicorn to keep her from injuring herself.

“Shhh… everything is going to be alright,” Redheart said, holding the larger pony, letting her rock and cry. “You’ve had a lot of things happen at once.”

“It hurts,” Twilight sobbed.

“You’ve been using too much magic,” Redheart said. “It’s hard, but you need to stop. At this point even simple telekinesis may cause irreparable damage.”

Twilight nodded, still quietly sobbing as everyone stood around the room. There was an awkward silence for about thirty seconds, before Redheart looked sharply at everyone.

“Visiting hours are over,” she said, venom in her voice.

“I’m afraid there’s been a misunderstanding,” Blueblood began. “I’m Prince Blueblood, acting regent of the crown, and…”

“Visting hours… are… OVER!” Redheart said again. “I’m not letting anyone stay unless they’re the Lady Faust as Divine Empress of Ponykind.”

“I’m ‘fraid it’s my fault,” Applejack said, hoping down from the heart monitor and curtsying towards Blueblood. “Your majesty.”

“… Countess…” Blueblood acknowledged. “A very causal meeting between peers, would you not say?”

“It’s how I roll,” Applejack replied. “Guess you’re wonderin’ why I’m so tiny, huh?”

“Among other things,” Blueblood admitted.

“Well, answer has something to do with the Everfree and the Old Capitol. An’ Miss Sparkle here has herself in the inside track as far as book learnin’ an’ plannin’ goes.”

“That’s all well and good,” Redheart said. “But I not allow…”

“It’s okay,” Twilight muttered. She breathed in and out a few times, before sitting up. Despite the tears, she held herself well, her composure more like nobility then a hurt pony or a bookish student.

“I’m very sorry for what happened, and for my outburst. I thank you all for coming to see me,” Twilight began, calm and composed. “But the crisis seems well in hand for the moment and I still need medical attention. We’ll need to mount an expedition to the Old Sister’s Castle in the Everfree to recover the Elements of Harmony. We’ll also need to stop by Zecora’s hut to treat my friends.”

“My staff is already overworked,” Blueblood said. “But I’ll see what preparations I can contribute. It won’t do to have Auntie’s favorite student loss.”

“What of the pretender,” Rarity asked. “The militiaponies may be brave, but against a goddess, even an imposter of a goddess as powerful as Night Mare Moon…”

“The Elements of Harmony will take care of Night Mare Moon,” Twilight said. “But the Everfree has it’s own dangers. I’ll need more information on both.”

“I can help,” Fluttershy offered. She seemed to shrink as everyone turned to look at the soft spoken but deep voiced pegasus. “Umm… if you don’t mind…”

“I don’t mind. In fact, I’m glad you want to help,” Twilight said with a smile, before looking over the assembled group. “There’s a lot that’s different here, but I’m sure that together we can overcome whatever challenges we face. Tomorrow. Right now, I would like to get a bit of sleep.” Twilight then made a small show of getting under the covers of her hospital bed.

“Of course,” Prince Blueblood said. “Come along now, everypony. Lady Sparkle needs her rest, and there are better places to plan.”

The ponies began to filter out of the room, talking amongst themselves. No doubt rumors would spread, but for the moment Twilight didn’t care. Soon all that were left were Pinkie Pie, Nurse Redheart, Applejack and herself.

“So… um… Twilight…” Pinkie Pie began, nervously. Twilight turned her head quickly, staring daggers at the pink party pony. A small meep escaped from her mouth as involuntarily backed up a few paces.

“You want to make this up?” Twilight asked, venom in her voice. Impressively, it surpassed even Redheart levels.

“Um… yes?” Pinkie Pie meekly replied.

“Go to Canterlot. There will be a store, ‘Libra’s Telescopes and Law Offices’. Purchase a Coronado PST and an EQ-1 Equatorial Telescope Mount. Tell Libra that it’s a special order from Sparkle. And bring it back in twelve hours. If I do not have it by then, I swear to Celestia that I’ll…”

“YES MA’AM!” Pinkie said, ramrod stiff, before galloping out of the room.

“Awefully harsh of ya’,” Applejack said, earning a sharp look from Twilight. “I ain’t sayin’ nothin’ needs to be done, but her heart’s in the right place. Poor girl’s gonna to be runnin’ for hours.”

“No she won’t,” Twilight said.

“Ya’ sure about that?” Applejack asked. “Canterlot’s a far clip from here.”

“Yes,” Twilight said, again with venom. “Another headache, for myself and modern arcane science.”

“Well, if you’re suffering from a headache, I have just the cure,” Nurse Redheart said, opening a nearby cabinet. She took two items, depositing them on the bed. One was a tiny circular device in a clear glass case. The other was a tub of cream.

“Analgesic cream?” Twilight asked, reading the label.

“An’ a neck thingy?” Applejack asked, walking over to the case. She gave it a tap with a foreleg. “What is it with you an’ neck thingies?”

“The ‘neck thingy’ is a magical inhibitor. You’ve been using magic too much magic for your current condition, and I wasn’t kidding about causing irreparable damage. Not just to your baseline abilities, but also to your nervous system,” Redheart explained.

Nurse Redheart took it out of the case, and carefully put it on Twilight’s neck in a place where the unicorn couldn’t reach on her own. Already Twilight could feel her magic being restricted. Not suppressed, but all of a sudden even the easiest of cantrips seemed impossible. “It directs magic along the same way as an Earth Pony or a Pegasus, depending on which side of the triangle your family favors. The analgesic cream is my own special blend, for all your little aches and pains.”

“… it’s the one that feels like fire, ain’t it?” Applejack asked.

“The burn means it’s working,” Redheart cheerfully replied. “It’s because it’s part rainbow, you see.”

“Well… thanks… but I feel like…” Twilight began, before yawning.

“Of course. Countess Apple?” Redheart asked.

“I’m commin’, I’m commin’,” Applejack replied, hopping on Redheart’s back. Soon enough the duo left the room and turned off the lights, leaving Twilight Sparkle alone with her thoughts.

Soon enough, Twilight fell asleep, dreaming of simpler and more carefree times.

~ ~ ~

Luna wasn’t quite sure what was going on.

She was like that sometimes, during the moments when she lost control. She was used to using the persona of ‘Night Mare Moon’, adopting the styling of the old mare’s tale from her time to wage her war. But it was these out of body moments, when she felt like a passive viewer watching players on a stage, that she thought of herself as ‘Luna’ once more.

It was a rather disconcerting feeling.

Before she blacked out, she was watching the humans having congress. It was rather like a combination of the old Earth Pony Parliament and the Pegasi Senate, with their own innovations thrown into the mix. For one thing they were less prone to physical fighting. There were “back room” negotiations, some of which she were party to, which seemed to be going along swimmingly. She was willing to allow them to exist as an informal protectorate (she would have the tact not to advertise this to advertise this to the humans, of course), since for all their technology they lacked ‘manpower’, some raw materials and a market to sell their ridiculously excessive bulk agricultural and manufacturing productions.

Now their capitol district was on fire.

There’s something charming about these flames.

If they shall not march with me as their ally they shall bow to me as their overlord.

The soldiers were still there, of course. The ones in the fancy green uniforms were apparently ‘marine dragoons’, while the khaki clad ones were ‘guardsmen’. They had turned their arms on her for some reason. Their aimed fire would have cut down a normal pony, but passed through the semi-ethereal goddess and even hit a few of the fleeing citizens.

How loyal and brave in the face of the impossible. These ‘dragoons’ and ‘guardsmen’ should be commended.

How very foalish. An example must be made.

Magic flowed, engulfing the soldiers in the alicorn’s will. They were thrown into the building, and their screams punctuated the already frantic scene. It was a shame, Luna thought in her detached state. She would of at least offered them a chance in her elite, to lead her heavy infantry in a glorious charge.

There were little else that she was apparently doing, beyond maintaining a shield. Various people were trying to escape the area after her little display, and a greater deal more were trying to enter to respond to the fire. What she could only presume to be firefighters and practicing field doctors were among the most frantic trying to get in, along with the soldiers. Already one of their dashing red trucks wrecked itself trying to ram through the shield, and the rest have attempted to turn their hoses and their guns to break through.

Another valiant display.

Futile. These humans should accept their place.

And so Luna was content to watch a part of the human’s proud city burn. There was little else she could do, and the flames were just so pretty.

At some point during the night, though, Luna was in control of her body once more. Back to being Night Mare Moon. And so she took to the sky, flying to her old home and stronghold.

We’ll salvage this later. It would be a shame for our empire to be incomplete.