• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,025 Views, 11 Comments

The Missing Bard - Kiniro



Sequel to the Guitarist. Another pony knows the song of Ragnarok, could he be the missing legend?

  • ...
1
 11
 1,025

Chapter 23: Origins

The Missing Bard

Chapter 23: Origins

Twilight took a deep breath and closed her eyes attempting to concentrate. Her horn slowly beginning to glow with a purple aura and within a few moments the guitar also was engulfed by the subtle glow. The guitar was slowly flipped over toward its backside, exposing the underside of the neck where the silver plate resided. The aura that engulfed the guitar slowly receding to only encompass the silver plate.

"Just a little bit more!" Twilight said with a strained voice.

"Almost there!" I responded in kind.

"Almost... almost... there!" Twilight stated as she opened her eyes and then glanced at me with a smile.

"You're amazing, you know that right?" I complimented, only to see Twilight blush heavily.

"Look! The you can make out the letters on the plate now!" Twilight said joyously.

"Now we'll know..." I responded uneasily as I looked down upon the silver plate. "To my dear friend Aldo, King Tristam." I said hesitantly. The answer I had long sought, while it worried me that it was true, that the history of Midgard was a lie, yet I found comfort in finding that I was right, as if I had known the answer all along.

"King Tristam? Aldo?" Twilight questioned. "Isn't Tristam the name of the King of Rune Midgard that you've mentioned to me? But who is Aldo?"

"There were three King's by the name of Tristam. King Tristam, King Tristam the Second, and King Tristam the Third. King Tristam the Third was my king. The others by the same were the predecessors. So King Tristam the Third was the heir to the throne from Tristam the Second as he was the heir to original King Tristam."

"So it in your world the throne is passed on via lineage?"

"That's correct."

"So how does this fit in with this Aldo?"

"Well... if my memory serves me right... the name Aldo is associated with the first musician in all of Midgard to have played the song of Ragnarok." I explained.

"Wait a second... but you told me that the first musician to play Ragnarok had died! There is no way this pony could be him? Could there?" Twilight said curiously.

"I know it sounds completely impossible, but it gets more complicated. Aldo, lived three hundred years before I was born."

"Wait... how long are the life spans of you humans from Midgard?" Twilight questioned, shocked by the response.

"See... that's what bothers me, in my world the oldest human that ever lived was only ever one hundred and fifteen."

"So... how then... it couldn't be him could it?"

"I'm not so sure, but I have a strong feeling it is. These past two days, I've been having dreams of my past. Memories of the civil war, my escape from execution, and the loss of a good friend. But they all reminded me of things that I had once forgotten. There was an old folk tale back in my world of the first bard who played the song of Ragnarok, who perished in the process of playing it, and no one else since in my world had ever played the song, until I did by accident, ending the civil war. I knew this bard lived during the reign of King Tristam, but you see I actually never knew the name of this bard, until one day on the battlefield Lightning Strike a good friend of mine, who was a very talented and skilled historian, reveled this bard's name to me, and his name was Aldo." I tried to explain.

"I'm still rather lost." Twilight stated with a mild sense of confusion. "I remember you mentioning Aldo being the first a while ago, but I'm still rather confused to how this ties in."

"Its the subtlies that are bringing this together Twi... I think anyway. He also told me that Aldo, before he had 'died', he had developed a unique aura, just like I did, except that his was yellow as opposed to the regular aura colors. Just like Meadow Song over there." I said raising my hoof pointing toward Meadow Song lying unconscious on the ground. "Other thing's I've noticed, is that he has this guitar here that is very similar to my old acoustic guitar. Not because it's an instrument, but because it has an arrow firing mechanism similar to mine, granted mine was a mixture of some blue prints I found during the Wars of Emperium, and combination of my own tinkering. That in it of itself I found extremely disturbing."

"So the three major pieces of evidence you have are, that Aldo was known to have a yellow aura, the fact that Aldo was said to be the first musician to play the song of Ragnarok, and that guitar that this pony carries is similar to yours?" Twilight questioned.

"I know it doesn't seem like a lot to go by, but what else do we have? Or the fact that no other earth pony for that matter can have that level of magic, and that I'm the only exception only because I already had the ability because I'm from Midgard, so that only points to one thing... Meadow Song has to be Aldo from my world." I explained. "It doesn't explain how you two are three hundred years apart in age, but yet he's here does it, if it is really him."

"No it doesn't... considering ponies don't have as nearly as long as a life span as you humans do from your world." Twilight commented.

"We are missing the fact of what really got him here also..." I stated.

"Ugh... what... where..." I heard a voice state, it sounded familiar, but somewhat different in tone. Both Twilight and myself looked over toward where it originated from. Meadow Song was laying on the ground, his eyes open and their normal light green color.

"Quick he's getting up!" Twilight shouted.

"Come on lets go!" I shouted as both Twilight and myself quickly turned around and ran toward Meadow Song.

"The voice... its gone... its gone!" Meadow Song shouted with a sudden burst of excitement, pulling himself up from the ground onto all fours."

"Hold it right there!" Twilight shouted as she got within a few feet of the re-awoken pony.

"Don't you move!" I yelled as I jumped on my hind legs, bringing my guitar forward into my front hooves in a single motion.

"Please! Don't hurt me!" Meadow Song yelled and brought himself to the ground covering his head with his front hooves, shaking nervously. "I don't hear the voice anymore! Please... please don't hurt me. Just leave me alone."

"Meadow Song?" Twilight asked.

"My name isn't Meadow Song." The pony explained.

"What is you're name then!" I retorted with a frustrated tone.

"My name.... my name is Aldo... My name is Aldo." The pony said cowering on the ground.

"Aldo..." I commented with my voice retreating.

"Yes! That's my name... now please don't hurt me!" Aldo stated.

"Where are you from Aldo?" Twilight asked.

"I'm from... the city of Morroc."

"In Rune Midgard..." I muttered, to only see Aldo's ears perk up.

"You know of Rune Midgard?! Do you know how to get back?" Aldo asked. "I have to get back and help my friend the King defeat Satan Morroc!"

"You... you're... the first bard to play the song of Ragnarok." I mentioned.

"Wait... how do you know." Aldo commented.

"Aldo I know this is going to seem strange... but I'm from Midgard as well... but 300 years from your future. You're story of being the first to play the Song of Ragnarok was legend." I explained.

"Is this... Midgard but in the future?" Aldo asked.

"No... you are on another world Aldo. This world is called Equestria, as you can tell its inhabitants are well equines, or better said ponies." Twilight explained.

"How did I get here though? I remember I was fighting against Satan Morroc by playing the song of Ragnarok suddenly to find myself in a dark void, then moments later to be standing in front of a statue of a disfigured creature by the name of Discord." Aldo explained.

"I'm not sure how its possible, but perhaps the dark void that both you and Kiniro were placed in, has some time altering principles..." Twilight commented. "Maybe... Discord..."

"Aldo... You got here the same way I did, or better I got here the same way you did. The combination of the song of Ragnarok and the magic of Satan Morroc co-mingling together causes an explosion that who ever is caught in the blast, gets placed in the dark void, as far of that much I can explain for you. I was pulled through the dark by a pony by the name of Princess Luna, then I arrived here." I explained swinging my guitar over my back and bringing myself back on all fours.

"Yes... that seems familiar, except that I was pulled through by that creature." Aldo explained as he brought himself off the ground seeing that we were no longer hostile toward him. "Wait a second... that means that you... know the song of Ragnarok was well!"

"This is very disturbing... if Discord still has this amount of power even though he is imprisoned in the statue... it could be problematic." Twilight stated completely focused on the thought of Discord. She then proceeded to signal the other Elements of Harmony nearby that it was safe.

"This could be a big problem considering the story you've told me about him." I agreed.

"Um... so uh... You know the song of Ragnarok also?" Aldo questioned.

"Oh I'm so sorry for ignoring you, yes I know how to play it." I responded.

"How did you come to learn it?" Aldo asked.

"Funny thing is... by accident, I felt my body get overtaken as if I was being controlled by the gods themselves and I played song, ever since then, its been imprinted in my memory down to the exact chord structure and tempo. How did you learn it?" I asked.

"...That's how I learned how to play it as well... I was tasked in protecting my good friend King Tristam during his crusade against Satan Morroc, to have same thing happen, but it came to be as if I was destined to fight against that great devil."

"Why did history lie about you..." I muttered to myself.

"What was that?" Aldo questioned.

"Oh nothing... don't worry about it." I retorted quickly.

"So is there any way to get back to Midgard?" Aldo asked.

"I'm sorry to say this Aldo, but you're stuck here." I explained.

"So then Midgard is lost to the fire of Satan Morroc." Aldo said with extreme disappointing as he brought his ears down.

"Not exactly Aldo. When I arrived Satan Morroc crossed over here shortly after, attempting to destroy this world before attempting to return to Midgard, mostly chasing after me to make sure that his victory would be assured. But his crossing weakened him completely giving myself and..." I tried to explain but was interrupted.

"Us the opportunity to defeat Satan Morroc." An injured Applejack mentioned as she stumbled over next to Twilight, with the other Elements of Harmony in tow.

"That devil is finally gone..." Aldo said with a low voice. "Midgard is finally safe... but are you positive there is no way to return?"

"Not that we are aware of...no. Prior to Satan Morroc's defeat here in Equestria we had opened a portal that would send me back home, but when Satan Morroc passed through it, we focused on defeating him instead, and well we got side tracked and shortly after the battle the portal closed." I explained.

"Well can we not open another?" Aldo perused.

"I don't think we can Aldo... when I got here... and possibly yourself, a rift between our two worlds was created, allowing you two to pass through. We used this rift to help open a portal back to your home world, but when the portal closed, we believe the rift closed also, only because as once it closed, I began to die." I explained. "But the song of Ragnarok saved me and made me into a pony."

"Becoming a pony... That Discord thing, turned me into, this! So it looks like even if I could return to being a human... I would perish here now." Aldo said worriedly.

"Oh its not so bad once you get used to it." I comforted Aldo. "So the entire time, you were being... uh controlled. Do you remember anything?"

"Mostly everything after I got here, a few blank moments here and there. The fact of witnessing everything you've done while not being in control of yourself. Even though most of the time in Equestria, I was peaceful as I searched for the Elements of Harmony, I sometimes prayed for the blank moments to just over take me,but I remember trying to resist that things control." Aldo explained.

"Which explains why it looked like you had a split personality disorder." Twilight commented.

"I just... I... I know what horrible things I've done while not in control, that's why I would try to resist, but its grip on me kept getting tighter and tighter... I just can't... live with myself knowing who I've hurt." Aldo explained.

"Aldo... it's not your fault. You weren't in control of yourself." An injured Rainbow Dash reassured.

"D-don't worry... You're f-free from him." Fluttershy added.

"I tried to fight him... but I wasn't strong enough." Aldo commented.

"It's ok now Aldo... you're free." I reassured. "Don't be so hard on yourself..."

"Thank you... um... what's your name?" Aldo asked me.

"My name is Kiniro... Kiniro Tonada." I explained sticking out my front right hoof in confidence.

"Aldo... Aldo Teng." Aldo answered placing his front hoof against mine and lightly shaking."

"You have a last name?" Twilight asked.

"I always have, but my my world, last names are not as common, as people in my world prefer to be called by their first name and their job title." I explained.

"Yes in our world exposing ones last name is a gesture of peace between Midgardians. It is a formality." Aldo also explained.

"So... still why haven't I heard of it?" Twilight questioned.

"Because I'm personally not fond of my last name..." I muttered.

"What does it mean?" Twilight asked.

"Uh... maybe another time..." I avoided.

"It's a beautiful last name especially when paired with you're first." Aldo mentioned.

"Shut up!" I quickly responded. "Just because my parents named me that doesn't mean I have to like it!"

"So..." Twilight commented.

"No! I will not mention this here!" I responded with a frustrated voice.

"So Aldo what will you do now? Do you need a place to stay?" Applejack responded.

"Yeah! Where will you go?" Pinkie Pie commented.

"I could assist you if you need something to get you by." Rarity also chimed in.

"To be honest... after all I've done to all of you... even though I know I wasn't in control. I still feel extremely guilty for all of this. I wouldn't be able to accept all of your generosity." Aldo responded.

"Non sense! I insist!" Applejack stated.

"As do I." Rarity agreed.

"I appreciate it... but I can not. I feel I must clear my name in Equestria before I can take any hospitality." Aldo stated.

"But Aldo..." Twilight tried to add in but was interrupted.

"Girls... please let him do this... it's apart of being a musician and being a bard, in our world we have a high sense of honor, we must pay our debts personal or otherwise before we can let go. Which is why I fought in the civil war originally, I could have easily just left at any time I wanted, but my friend Lightning Strike saved me several times, so I stood by his side all the way up to the end. You would hurt him more if you didn't let him do it." I explained.

"Kiniro is right... I must repay all of you and to all else I have hurt." Aldo commented.

"B-but we don't want you to repay or us, w-we know you weren't in c-control when you..." Fluttershy tried to explain bu was interrupted.

"Please Fluttershy... I know you mean well, but please let him." I stated.

"If you don't want me to repay you, I must repay my debts by doing my job of Midgard here... spreading the joy of music to others." Aldo commented. "At least if I can not replace the pain I have caused, I can bring happiness to others who need it to get through their pain."

"Aldo... please. Once you feel you're debt is done... please come back and stay with us." I pleaded.

"Kiniro, once it's done, I will return and accept your generosity. Because even now, I owe you all a debt, you all have saved me from Discord." Aldo explained. "I no longer hear that horrible voice... thank you. But importantly of all, even if I can not return to Midgard, I owe you the biggest debt of all Kiniro for saving my home."

"Where will you go Aldo?" Twilight asked.

"Twilight... I am a bard." Aldo smiled. "I will go where my music is needed, and I will clear my name."

"But Aldo, no one knows you." Pinkie Pie mentioned.

"But they do know the name Meadow Song." Aldo retorted. "That is the name I need to clear, and as I did horrible things with that name, and that name is associated with this body. I am Meadow Song."

"So Aldo..." Rainbow Dash tried to add to the conversation but was interrupted.

"Please... don't call me that anymore." Aldo commented as he slowly trotted over to his guitar and picked it up and swung it over onto his back.

"So no more Aldo?" Rainbow Dash stated.

"Kiniro isn't the only who was given a name he didn't like either." Aldo smirked lightly and I smiled in kind as well. "Once I repay my debt to Equestria, I will return, and I hope that someday that we all cross paths again. Hail Kiniro the musician who defeated Satan Morroc! Savior of Midgard and Equestria." Aldo shouted at the top of his lungs as he began to walk away from us and into the orchard.

"So then... Aldo I guess this is good bye then." I said. "I hope we do cross paths again, until then, take care of yourself."

"Goodbye, again thank you all. Take care all of you, and I'm sorry for all I've done to all of you, and I hope that we do meet again in the future... And please call me Meadow Song." Meadow Song stated as he disappeared into the orchard.

The End.

Dedicated to my wonderful girlfriend, my new friends in the Brony community locally and world wide, and to all of you who helped see me through who have inspired me to keep me writing. Thank you.

-Kiniro
November 6, 2012