• Published 2nd Apr 2021
  • 264 Views, 6 Comments

The Story of a Yonderhill Pony: The Battle of Yonderhill - gmoyes



The diary of Easy Green, a pony living in the Changeling occupied town of Yonderhill during the Great War.

  • ...
1
 6
 264

December 29th 1011

I’m writing this because I may be dead soon. The Changelings have come to Yonderhill. I thought they were stopped at the Galloping Gorge for the Hearthswarming Ceasefire, we all did. They said that the ponies stationed at the gorge, the snow and the forests would keep the bugs at bay. But then Miriam came into the clinic with shrapnel and burns along her flank. She was in hysterics, claiming the Wendigos were back and had killed her whole family by raining fire from the sky in the middle of the night.

My senior partner, Doctor Heartland, said that Curdled Cream’s dairy farm must have been bombed by the Changelings and that if Miriam was here by herself, it was likely that there were no other survivors. Curdled Cream, his wife and sons, and all of Miriam’s sisters, all dead. It was a slap in the face. We needed to evacuate. I have parents back in Las Pegasus, I had a place to go. Heartland agreed, but he said he needed to alert the town garrison about the attack. He told me to keep looking after Miriam.

Fortunately, the wounds weren’t that deep and the burns not that serious, but she had irritated her injuries and lost a lot of blood limping into town. If she could stave off infection and keep off her hooves, she would be fine in a couple of weeks. Cows are as tough as they look. Then again, I don’t know if any of us will survive a couple of weeks

When Heartland came back, he said the military took some time to take him seriously, saying they would have heard something if a breakthrough happened at the front. Thankfully, Heartland was respected enough in the town to get them to send out scouts and they were preparing to evacuate and defend the town. I had to get home and pack things to leave, but I couldn’t just leave Miriam behind. Heartland said that packing up what medical supplies we could would be more useful for the evacuation. I had a couple important momentos in my loft, but nothing I couldn’t replace or was worth the trouble.

It was all moot. Soon a couple of soldiers came into the clinic and said that there wouldn’t be an evacuation. The town was already surrounded by Changeling tanks. They said that a few townsfolk already tried to drive out of town, only to be chased back by a hail of bullets. We were trapped. We are completely fucked.

The soldier asked if we could spare any medical supplies and Heartland, the softhearted lunatic, said he’d do them one better and volunteered to be a medic. What the Tartarus was he thinking, he’s no soldier! He’ll just go and get shot or panic or Celestia knows what else. I said as such!

The worst part is, the soldiers didn’t say no. They said they would need everypony they could if we were to survive this. All a bunch of manure, the Changelings have us bottled up. No town has survived a Changeling siege so far.

He said if he can go out and save at least one pony’s life, then it would be worth it.

I couldn’t argue with that. For as long as I’ve worked with him, it’s always been other ponies and creatures before himself. I often had to remind him when he sent a foal home with a healthy pet for free that specialized veterinary equipment didn’t come cheap. I mean, I enjoy caring for non-ponies myself, make sure they’re eating healthy and all that. But him risking his life out there? That was suicide!

He said that he was leaving the clinic in my hooves until he came back and to take care of any creature who came through those doors. He grabbed some of the medical supplies and left with the soldiers.

He’s going to die.

I’m going to die.

These scraps of paper will be my will and testament.