• Published 26th Feb 2021
  • 800 Views, 188 Comments

Tidalverse: The Fearsome Foursome - Alden MacManx



Four life-long friends go fishing one fine late spring morning. The Event happens. Now what?

  • ...
4
 188
 800

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: The Dragon In The Doorway

The glowing shape revealed itself to be not a dragon, which all had read about but have not seen yet, but a female gargoyle, dressed in a crudely-stitched mylar sheet poncho. “What do you know, fresh faces! I’m Tina Kovacs, originally from Philadelphia, lately of NAS Key West. Who are you, how did you get here, and what are you looking for?” she asked, once out in the light and dousing her own.

Fran took the lead, having seniority over Foster. “I’m Fran Vasquez, Technical Officer of the motor vessel Deliverance, currently moored at the marina, where we arrived about an hour ago. With me are Foster Hardegan, ship’s security officer, Doctor Malala Hutchins, and Michie,” she said, indicating everyone as their name was mentioned. “We were hoping to scavenge some supplies. Porridge, pork and goat get tiresome after a while.”

“Pork? Goat? Not out of a can, right?” Tina asked, startled.

“We have some chicken, too. Caught a couple yesterday and baked them on our way here. Good thing the seas were calm,” Fran commented as Michie darted up to Tina, arms spread for a hug, her too-big tee-shirt flapping. A hug that arrived swiftly, as Tina picked up Michie, who settled into her embrace.

“Well, if Michie likes her, she can’t be bad,” Malala observed.

“Nope, not me. Glad to see someone new, though. Just been Harry and me here for a few months. He’s at the supply office. That’s what his job was here,” Tina said, snugging Michie, who rubbed up against her happily.

“Harry?” Foster asked.

“Harry Bell, an aviation stores keeper first class here at NAS Key West,” Tina told them. “Want to come in and look around?”

“Well, since you offer, I would like that!” Fran said in a loud, penetrating voice. “What would the Captain say?”

“The Captain says it’s a fantastic idea, and if Tina and Harry would like, have them come over for dinner tonight. On the menu will be chicken, Frieda’s version of lasagna for ponies, and corn muffins. Get back early with the goods so she can start cooking, okay?” came Frick’s voice from the radio on Fran’s hip.

Tina’s eyes went wide as she leapt up, her wings grabbing air and hovering some, holding tight onto Michie, who giggled with joy at her holder’s startle. “What the hell?” she shouted as she came back to the ground.

Foster took up the explanation. “Simple. It’s a policy they set up months ago. When theah’s an away team out and about, especially in unknown territory, one of us carries a radio that constantly transmits on one frequency, which is monitored on the boat. Enables us to respond faster to any problems.”

“Plus, we can all laugh about it later, right?” Frick said. “Do you and Harry like coffee?”

“Yes, but we have no power, and every time we’ve tried with a percolator, it’s like Hell’s own mess. We never cared for camping out,” Tina explained.

“Well, we have real coffee, real sugar and fake milk. Also, here’s a word from my Second Officer and lead cook,” Frick said before the mic was passed from one to another.

“Fran, if we’re going to have company tonight, double all the amounts and get your backside back here within two hours so we can eat before it gets dark!” Frieda snapped.

“Right, Frieda. Snickers bars are up on the fly bridge, seat three, right side towards the bottom. Have one, Frieda, you’re getting cranky!” Fran retorted.

“Good idea! Cornhusker Base out!” Frieda said.

“Cornhusker Five clear,” Fran said to her radio before putting it back on her hip. “So, shall we shop? Frieda’s not herself when she’s hungry.”

Tina grinned as she led the crew into the Exchange building. “Something tells me we’re going to get along quite well!” she said with a laugh.

“Yeah!” Michie agreed.


Late that afternoon, Tina and Harry (a gray and red pegasus with dirty white wings and light brown mane and tail, with a cutie mark that looks like a pigeonhole cabinet) joined the Deliverance crew for dinner, set up on tables outside on the pier. Clouds were building, but to the north. Frack and Harry both agreed the rain will miss them for now, and would not arrive until long after sunset. They had found out that finely shredded chicken will serve for pegasi, so long as it was mixed well with other stuff. Only the carnivores could enjoy a good chomp of a chicken leg.

The ‘natives’ told the visitors that they had been there since around January, they figure. They knew that some others had passed through before they arrived, but they had little inclination to leave. The reason why was startling. “Over on Stock Island, at night, the hermit crabs come out. Big hermit crabs. The smallest are about the size of my hoof,” Harry explained.

“The biggest ones are bigger than we are,” Tina went on. “Fortunately, a very simple barricade works to keep them off Key West. They hang around the Stock Island Dump. That’s where they find additional bits and such for their shells.”

“What do the biggest ones use for shells?” Malala asked.

The answer was double-barreled in nature. “Cars.”

“Oh, what fun…” Foster commented.

“You said it,” Harry said bitterly. “Every day, before nightfall, we check the wire barrier on the access road to Dredger Key. Any hermit crab big enough to be a threat won’t go through the water, they get stuck in the mud. We cleared out the crabs when we first woke up here and have not had much trouble since.”

“That and some rooftop sniping with an M-60,” Tina added. “If I take my time, I don’t miss. The rifle barrel glows and I hit my target where I’m aiming at. Now, if I hurry, I can shoot a few wild ones.”

Frick thought about those words. “Seems like you’re casting a spell to improve your aim, Tina. From what I know about gargoyles, it’s entirely possible. I’ve taught myself a few useful spells,” he told her.

“Same with me,” Foster said. “I got me a few tricks up my sleeve.”

“You’ve mentioned others,” Harry asked. “What can you tell us about them?” That led to a description of the World Seafarer’s Union and how they are hurrying to meet them in Havana, which led to a longer description of why Havana.

“Lightning struck our antenna yesterday, so we can’t talk to or hear them. Hope to find a replacement here tomorrow,” Frick grumbled.

“Let me take a look at it. I could have something like it in Stores. If not marine, then aviation rated,” Harry offered. “First thing in the morning? Right now, I’m enjoying the company AND the dinner a little much,” he said as he took a corn muffin and smeared some maple syrup inside it.

“Sounds like an idea to me,” Frick agreed. “Where do you live up here?”

“In the Exchange building. Upstairs, in the furniture section. Once we ventilated the place, it’s actually quite comfortable, groceries are not far away, and we each have a place for ourselves, out of sight from each other,” Harry explained after eating the corn muffin.

“We’re friends, and knew each other before, but not well,” Tina said after some chicken. That’s why they were eating outdoors, the carnivores were downwind so as not to nauseate the herbivores. “Took a little bit to figure out who each of us was, and to prove it.”

“What did you do down here Before, Tina?” Frieda asked.

“I was a helicopter instructor pilot, while Harry was the squadron stores keeper. We’ve both been in the Service for a while, because we liked what we did, right?” Tina asked across the table.

“Damn straight, Tina. Being a stores keeper suits me, while getting wings suits you more. I like flying, you live it,” Harry said after another corn muffin.

“Got that right. I’m glad I was sent here after getting shot down over Afghanistan a few years back. Broke a lot of bones, was torn up real bad, but I survived, was put together again, and was sent here to teach others how to fly. Learning to fly with these wings was a chore,” Tina told the group.

“How many star-cluster impacts?” Malala asked.

“Seven, before it got through my head that while I can fly, I am not exactly nimble up there. To be precise, I fly like a gargoyle,” Tina said ruefully.

“Too bad the hangar is back on Boca Chica Key. I could show you the dent in the door,” Harry said, earning himself a dirty look from Tina as the Deliverance crowd laughed.

“Don’t feel too bad, Tina,” Frieda said once she stopped chuckling. “I damn near tipped over our first boat when I first took wing. It was Frick’s old pontoon boat. Good for summer fishing, not for winter sailing.”

“Yeah. I almost went for a flight that day, into the Juliana’s roof!” Frick said, which eased Tina’s ire.

“You and me both, Frick,” Fred said from his place at the table. “Sailing’s bad enough, but flying? Not for me,” he said, shaking his head.

“So, you said you wanted to find an antenna, right, Frick?” Harry asked.

“What are the odds you could lay your hooves on one I could use to replace the one we toasted?” Frick asked.

“Tell you what. You dismount the thing tonight and I’ll look at it tomorrow. Odds are I can find something we can use in the warehouse. If not, well, there are a lot of boats, right?” Harry said, gesturing with a wing at the scattered boats tied up at the marina.

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Frick said, looking at Fran. “That will be your job, Fran. You handle ladders much better than I do.”

“No problem, Frick. Should not take too long to do,” Fran replied.

“So, meet up here tomorrow morning? What time?” Tina asked.

Frick thought for a moment, looking at his crew, getting a consensus by glance. “What time do you two usually wake? With the dawn or after?” he asked their ‘hosts’.

“After,” Harry said. “About an hour or so. We both tend to be up with the sun and down with it. Only suggestion is to make sure you have rat guards on the lines and put everything away. The little hermits do get everywhere at night, but they are mostly harmless. The ones you have to worry about are over on Stock Island, and we’ve blocked the ways over.”

“Sounds good to me. Crew, do you want to set a duty watch, or use duty ashore rules?” Frick asked. “Setting up the tents could be a bit chancy.”

Foster spoke up next. “Tina, is there space for two or more at the Exchange building?”

“Easily. There are some bed displays that have not been used. We’re going to need some more lights, too. What are you thinking of, Foster?” Tina asked in return.

“Crash space foah myself, Malala, Fran and Michie. The other five stay aboard here. We’ll meet for breakfast, whichever group that wakes first and gets there starts the cooking. How’s that idea, Captain?” Foster offered.

“Sounds like a winner to me, Foster. We can spend a couple of days here, fixing and fueling before heading for Havana.” Frick then turned to Tina and Harry. “Want to join us? Who knows when someone else will be here.”

There was no hesitation. “We’ll go with you, Frick,” Tina said firmly. “We miss the companionship of others. If we don’t want to stay in Havana, maybe these WSU folk will be willing to take us on.”

“I’m sure they will,” Frack said firmly, startling Frick and Fred. “They’re critically short of manpower. Bringing along all we have found along the Gulf will add forty or so more people to the cause, half of them children. They will need new parents, and everyone will bring skills to add to the pool. Lots of empty houses in Maasvlakte. We can all work together to get some habitable for us, right?”

“Sounds good to me, Frack!” Bernie said, putting a wing around Frack and hugging a little.

“Gee, Bernie, I didn’t know you cared so much!” Frack exclaimed.

“Don’t let appearances fool you…” Bernie countered sarcastically, causing most everyone to start laughing.


Bright and early the next morning, the shore contingent made it to the Deliverance, setting up the tables and starting breakfast. Frick, who took the duty that day, did not wake up when they came aboard, sleeping soundly through the setting up phases, nose finally twitching when the first pot of coffee started dripping into the pot. “Damn, must have been more tired than I thought,” he observed, sitting up and accepting a cup of coffee from Foster.

“Busy day yesterday. You successfully navigated us here. Musta been built-up stress,” Foster said from the galley, where he was mixing up pancake batter.

“More than likely. Are you ready to defend me from the ire of the others?” Frick yawned as he brought the ship’s microphone to him. In reply, a golden glow spread across the stairs down to the cabins. “That will work,” he said with a shrug as he keyed the mic.

“Now, reveille, reveille, up all bunks!” he called, his voice going through the PA system. From below came a combined neigh and squawk, then Frieda came charging up the steps, only to get caught in Foster’s glow.

“Calm down, Maw, we all overslept!” came Fred’s voice from below, and Frieda stopped struggling.

“I’m going to get you for this…” she hissed, glaring at Frick.

“You’re doing up the spaghetti dinner tonight, Frieda. You and Fred have ship duty while the rest of us look about,” Frick said with a trace of smug.

Frieda nodded. “True. I lost, fair and square. Besides, I can get the galley done right after this Cajun crazy finishes messing it up!”

“If yuh fahnd anythin’ messed up, ah’ll eat mah boots!” Foster said from the galley.

“You don’t wear any boots, Foster!” Frieda snapped.

“That means they’re as good as a wish sandwich, raht? Goes down easy!”

Author's Note:

A little short this week, yes. There are reasons.

As you know, I'm in Texas, with a friend whose father was hospitalized. He passed away yesterday morning. Things came to a screeching halt. Now to pick up the pieces.

I may put up a chapter next week, or it may go up the week after. I have thoughts to organize and a friend to help. They take priority. I know WHAT I want to do here in Key West. The trouble is getting it done.

I hope this fluffy little chapter is as entertaining as the rest. More action and danger next chapter.

To Jerry Johnson ,1938-2021 (somewhere in there)

PreviousChapters Next