• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 2,512 Views, 139 Comments

Hostile History - Jest



Sunset Shimmer's is happy for the first time in a long time. She's accepted, has wonderful friends, and a life many would envy. Or is it all an illusion forced upon her by the very people she trusted? Only time will tell.

  • ...
21
 139
 2,512

Chapter 30

Sunset Shimmer stood at the edge of the school, her hands wringing together nervously as she paced back and forth. Her hair and eyes were wild with manic desire, and her breathing was as loud as it was quick. This continued for several seconds until the girl stopped suddenly, ran her hands down her sides and took a deep breath.

“Focus Sunset. We have a job to do,” Sunset muttered, hefting her heavy backpack up onto her shoulder. “We just have to go in there, give Fluttershy the book, then leave before Twilight can make things awkward.”

Sunset’s shoulders slumped a second later and the girl released a long sigh.

“Oh who am I kidding? This is probably going to turn into a whole thing,” Sunset remarked as she kicked a stone. “I still can't believe she hasn't talked to me since that kiss. What did I do wrong?”

Sunset shook her head. “No, that wasn't my fault.”

She then paused, and stood a little straighter, an idea popping into her head. Maybe Twilight’s not even there. Sunset thought to herself.

Peeking around the corner, Sunset looked out over the front of the school, her gaze sweeping from left to right. Dozens of students were making their way from the front entrance of the school to the many vehicles waiting for them on the road. Though busy, Sunset could easily pick out the picnic bench set off to one side, one occupied by a very familiar group of people.

All of Sunset’s friends, including Twilight herself were seated at the well used bench, their school bags absent piled in a heap to one side. The group seemed to be having a fairly mundane discussion given how bored Rainbow Dash looked, and how many times Pinkie Pie looked at her phone. Even at this distance Sunset could tell that there was an air of unease and uncomfortability which hung over them.

I wonder why they look so tense. Twilight apologized to everyone, and it's been a week since Rainbow Dash announced that she wasn't going to college. Sunset thought to herself. Maybe someone else changed their mind and-

The girl’s thoughts were interrupted by a familiar buzzing coming from her pocket. Reaching into her pants, Sunset pulled out her phone, and flipped over to the messages.

Are you going to sit there and stare at us all day or are you going to join us? -Pinkie Pie

Sunset glanced back at the table to see Pinkie Pie looking right at her, a confused expression on her face. Shrugging awkwardly, Sunset strode out from her rather poor hiding spot, and made her way over to the table. As she neared, the conversation dulled, and Twilight quickly looked down at her phone, pretending to read something while just staring at her lock screen.

“Hey girls,” Sunset greeted somewhat awkwardly. “How's things?”

“We should be asking you, darling. What with how little you and Twilight seem to join us over this past week,” Rarity bluntly replied.

“Yeah what is up with that?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I’ve just been busy hanging out with my boyfriend Timber Spruce, who I love and who I will be seeing again in twenty minutes for another romantic date,” Twilight blurted out.

Sunset frowned. “Err yeah. I’ve just been… wrapping up school stuff.”

“Do you even have any classes left? Last I heard you did all the exams early so you don't even have to show up anymore,” Pinkie Pie proclaimed.

“Nah,” Sunset replied, waving a hand. “I still gotta stick out the last five gym classes before I’m officially done highschool but Miss Sizzle said if I help her organize the equipment room that she’ll let me skip the last two days.”

“You know I always thought she had magic,” Applejack admitted. “What with all those crazy field trips she used to take us on.”

“They were the best,” Rainbow Dash proclaimed. “Do you remember that time she took us to a haunted mansion?”

“I remember almost getting tetanus there,” Fluttershy glumly remarked.

“She certainly is an odd one,” Rarity exclaimed. “Though her taste in fashion is quite refined.”

“That reminds me of Timber,” Twilight awkwardly interrupted. “He has a great sense of fashion.”

“Are we talking about the same guy? Didn't he wear a flannel cest to your first date?” Rainbow Dash inquired.

“Hey, I like flannel!” Applejack interjected.

“And it looks good on you but Timber is way too skinny to pull it off,” Rainbow Dash retorted.

“I think he pulled it off spectacularly,” Twilight stated.

“Err right,” Fluttershy muttered.

“Soooo,” Pinkie Pie began, rising up from her seat. “Whose all coming to the big graduation party I’m planning?”

“Me!” Rainbow Dash immediately replied, arm sticking straight up in the air.

“You know I wouldn't miss one of your shindigs for the world,” Applejack remarked.

Sunset smiled and turned to Fluttershy, her bag falling from her shoulder and plunking lightly against the ground. The former unicorn ignored the continued conversation occurring just beyond, and reached into her backpack.

“Oh, did you bring it?” Fluttershy whispered, leaning in close. “I know you said you were going to, but if you didn't then that's totally okay too.”

“I brought it, don't you worry,” Sunset replied in a low tone. “See?”

Fluttershy’s eyes lit up as she gazed at the leather bound tome now in front of her face. The words Volo’s Guide to Monsters were emblazoned across the front in large, grandiose lettering. Within the book were pages so numerous that the volume itself could likely be used as a bludgeoning weapon if needed. Not only that, but there were numerous sticky notes, and slips of paper sticking out from the sides, indicating that someone had used it before.

“Oh this is so exciting,” Fluttershy muttered. “May I hold it?”

“You can do more than just hold it. You can keep it for as long as you like,” Sunset replied, handing the manual over to the other girl.

Who let out a small squeal of excitement before eagerly flipping it open to the first page and beginning to read. She didn't make it very far before Pinkie Pie appeared over Fluttershy’s shoulder and peered down at the yellowed page with confusion.

“What's a false hydra?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“It's a terrifying creature which feeds on memories,” Sunset replied.

“Oh that's horrible. I wonder if there was some way to feed it responsibly,” Fluttershy murmured. “Perhaps it could help soldiers get over their ptsd…”

“Woah, where'd ya get something so old?” Applejack asked, prodding the leather bound cover curiously. “It looks like some of the antiques Granny keeps up in the attic.”

“Mister Tempo let me borrow it from him,” Fluttershy answered.

“For what purpose would he give you a book on monsters?” Twilight pointedly asked.

“Animals, not monsters,” Fluttershy corrected. “Just because some of them look strange or are magical, it doesn't mean they don't deserve to live or that they are evil.”

“I don't know, this one kinda looks like a monster. What with its six pony heads and amorphous body,” Pinkie Pie remarked, pointing down at the page Fluttershy still had open.

“That's a bad example,” Sunset offered.

Rarity scoffed. “Do you really have to ask why mister Tempo would give Fluttershy of all people a book on animals? Why it should be obvious.”

“I wouldn't say so,” Twilight countered. “Maybe Perfect is using it as some kind of bargaining chip.”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “I wouldn't overthink it, Twilight. Perfect Tempo is just obliging a friendly request from a curious girl.”

“I mean he did offer me a job when I was there,” Fluttershy murmured.

“A job?” Twilight yelled in shock. “What could he possibly want from you?”

“Now look here Twi. I don't rightly know what's got yer knickers in a twist this past week, but need I remind you of how our last study session went?” Applejack interrupted.

“Yeah. This Perfect Tempo guy is cleaner than a freshly minted twenty dollar bill,” Rainbow Dash proclaimed, bumping her elbow against Applejack’s side.

“And to answer your question,” Fluttershy began, her voice rising as her confidence did. “He wanted me to help him contain some of the magical creatures dumped here from Equestria.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed. “He's probably trying to use them to make weapons, or turn them into war animals of some kind.”

“Nah that seems a little unfair,” Pinkie Pie glumly remarked. “Perfect Tempo didn't seem like he needed a bunch of mon-er animals. He has plenty of goons already.”

“Well maybe he's planning something big and needs more,” Twilight replied.

“Well I for one support Fluttershy’s decision!” Rarity proclaimed, wrapping an arm around the other girl’s shoulder. “In fact she’s inspired me to follow my own heart and rescind my application for university.”

“What!” Twilight yelled.

“Woah, that's a shocker,” Applejack remarked.

“No kidding. I thought for sure you’d want to go to that big fashion thing along with Fluttershy and her veterinary training,” Rainbow Dash added.

“I did, but after hearing about how so many of those poor animals are lost and scared I knew what I had to do,” Fluttershy stated confidently.

Twilight sighed, and massaged her temples with her forefingers. “I can't even handle this right now.”

“Again, I think this is a brilliant move for Fluttershy,” Rarity passionately declared, squeezing the other girl tightly before relinquishing her hold on her. “She was always going to go out there and save animals, and now she’s going to do just that. Isn't that right darling?”

Fluttershy bobbed her head eagerly, a wide blush dominating her features. “Oh yes. Most of these poor animals have been dumped here because they simply got too close to pony lands and are without their parents. With a little love, and dedication I’m sure that I can give these critters a good home.”

“I don't have to worry about some kinda giant half owl, half bear bursting into my house now do I?” Applejack asked.

Only for Pinkie Pie to answer her with a scoff. “Don't be ridiculous, Applejack. Owlbears aren't real. It's bug bears that you gotta worry about.”

“What in the hay’s a bug bear?” Applejack muttered.

“It's a humanoid monster from dungeons and dragons,” Rainbow Dash pointed out. “What? I can like d and d. It's cool.”

“Noone was judging you Dash,” Applejack whispered.

“Why are we talking about some silly board game when Rarity just declared that she was throwing away her entire future?” Twilight all but shouted, finger jabbed in the fashionista's direction.

“I have done no such thing,” Rarity retorted with a scoff. “By staying here I can keep my overhead low, and although I won't be able to network quite as easily out here, there are other benefits.”

“LIke what?” Twilight spat.

“For one I will be able to help you all defend the city against that absolute barbarian, Foxtrot. I will also be closer to my family and loved ones,” Rarity continued, shooting Fluttershy a quick glance before just as quickly looking away. “I may not be much of a fighter, but I feel it would be irresponsible of me to leave Canterlot.”

“But what about your career?” Twilight retorted.

Rarity shrugged. “Yes it may take a hit, but I’ve weighed the pros and cons, and decided that this is the best option.”

“I’m glad your staying in Canterlot Rarity. The city would be far less beautiful without you,” Fluttershy murmured.

Rarity blushed and batted her eyes. “Oh you are too kind darling.”

“Whelp, I was gonna tell y'all later but what the heck?,” Applejack proclaimed out of nowhere. “I’ll be staying behind too. I can't in good conscience leave my family knowing that this Foxtrot fella is still out there.”

“Oh my gosh this is so awesome!” Rainbow Dash yelled, shaking Applejack by the shoulders. “We could still be roommates!”

“You read my mind,” Applejack awkwardly replied. “Though I wanna still help out around the farm I was thinkin of moving into town and gettin a house or something. I love my family but ever since Foxtrot’s little forced vacation I ain't a fan of only having a room to myself.”

Nearly everyone at the table muttered their agreement, various dark and uncomfortable expressions passing over their faces.

“I was going to save this little surprise for the party, buuut since everyone is talking about it I guess it's okay if I just say it right now,” Pinkie Pie began before taking a deep inhale. “I won't be going to school either but that's okay because Mrs Cake offered to teach me everything she knows also my family is going to help me find a place but I really want to live with you guys so if you want another roommate I’m totally down.”

“That is… expected I suppose,” Twilight muttered, shoulders slumping in defeat.

“Daww don't worry about it Twi Twi. I’ll still be doing what I love, but now I won't have to worry about tuition and stuff,” Pinkie Pie reasoned.

“Plus you can help us stop bad guys and save the city!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“And we’re going to need all the help we can get if something big and ugly gets dumped through that mirror,” Applejack remarked, jerking a thumb over her shoulder towards the distant horse statue sitting at the forefront of the school.

Sunset glanced over at the row of cars to find that the majority of the ones remaining were black and that there were few students remaining. Not only that but a familiar pick up truck was now pulling in at the far side of the parking lot, prompting Sunset’s temper to rise. Looking away from the source of her ire, Sunset Shimmer stowed her rage and focused on what was happening right in front of her.

“I just can't believe you girls would all go back on something so important,” Twilight declared in a shocked tone. “We had our whole lives ahead of us, now what is there to look forward to?”

“Hanging out with all my friends, fighting monsters, kicking Foxtrot’s ugly butt, and all without going into debt?” Pinkie Pie offered.

“Don't forget the whole not having to move halfway across the country thing,” Applejack added.

“Or leaving our pets behind,” Fluttershy muttered.

“Or family,” Rarity stated.

Twilight looked from one friend to another, her astonishment and indignation slowly melting away. In no time at all the girl seemed more defeated than anything, with tears budding at the edges of her eyes.

“I wouldn't worry about us too much,” Sunset Shimmer remarked, flashing Twilight a somewhat forced smile. “I’m sure we’ll manage without you.”

“Yeah totally. If you still want to go off to whatever fancy shmancy university we’ll be just fine back home,” Rainbow Dash proclaimed.

“Don't think we are trying to peer pressure you into changing your mind,” Rarity whispered, leaning across the table. “We have merely chosen a different path and don't expect you to abandon your dream.”

“Exactly. So if you still want to go out there and get your degree, then I say go for it. We’ll all support you one hundred percent,” Applejack declared.

“And we’ll always make sure that there is a spot for you here in Canterlot,” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“So go on out there and live your best life! Just uh let me know when you’re leaving so I can throw you a going away party,” Pinkie Pie remarked.

Twilight sniffed. “Oh girls. I’ve been such an idiot.”

“Don't cry Twilight. We don't think you’re dumb,” Fluttershy whispered.

Twilight sobbed into her hands, tears flowing down her cheeks. “But I was!” she wailed. “And I kept being stupid even after what we saw at Platinum’s!”

“I mean sure you might have been a bit judgemental and pretty weird these past two weeks, but uh… I’m not sure where I was going with that,” Rainbow Dash muttered.

“You are not helping,” Applejack hissed, elbowing the speedster in the side.

“Hey now. You aren't stupid. Just tell us what's bothering you and I’m sure we can work it out together. Right girls?” Sunset offered.

Another chorus of hearty affirmations was eagerly shouted, with each one of their friends offering their own unique brand of encouragement.

“You don't get it,” Twilight muttered. “All this time I was judging you guys for abandoning your plans and I had already decided to do the same.”

“Bwut?” Pinkie Pie exclaimed in shock.

Twilight sniffed, and wiped away a tear. “It's true,” she muttered. “I want to study magic, and I can't do that anywhere else in the country except for right here in Canterlot.”

“So you’ll stay?” Sunset Shimmer whispered.

“I will,” Twilight murmured.

“So is that why you’ve been so distraught since last weekend?” Fluttershy asked.

“It was,” Twilight admitted, shooting Sunset a quick, furtive glance. “Sunset awakened my magic, and opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.”

“Oh this is great!” PInkie Pie shouted, picking up Twilight as easily as she would a mere doll. “The magnificent seven remain together forever!”

“Oh? I wasn't aware you guys were even breaking up,” remarked the familiar voice of a certain camp counselor.

Sunset was scowling before she even laid eyes on the slim, athletic young man standing at the end of the table. Though when she did, her expression only darkened even more as he had arrived with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a box of chocolates in the other.

“Timber!” Twilight proclaimed, leaping out of Pinkie Pie’s arms and into the male’s.

“Oh hey what happened to you?” Timber replied, awkwardly hugging his girlfriend without using his hands.

“It's nothing. Just a little misunderstanding,” Twilight replied before pulling back. “Are these for me?”

Timber nodded. “Azaleas and dark chocolate, your favorites.”

Sunset stewed quietly as Timber and Twilight began to discuss their day as well as their plans for their date. While this happened Applejack and Rainbow Dash were looking through listings for rental houses. Rarity and Fluttershy were discussing the monster guide, and Pinkie Pie had joined them before suddenly standing perfectly still.

That was until her entire body vibrated angrily, and her eyes went wide.

“Danger, incoming!” Pinkie Pie shouted, pointing to the front of the school.

“What are…” Sunset trailed off when she followed the girl’s gaze and found that the horse statue which adorned the top of the portal was looking directly at them.

Upon being noticed, the creature wasted no time in wrenching its hooves free of the statue’s base and leaping down onto the grass. Its impact was enough to drive its limbs deep into the well maintained earth, forcing it to wrench itself from the small crater it had just made. While this happened, dozens of soldiers piled out of black vehicles, rapidly assembling into small squads. These newest arrivals had the letters F.B.I painted across them, and their gear, at least on first glance, seemed to be standard issue for the bureau.

“Defensive positions!” Sunset Shimmer shouted, magic already gathering in her open palm. “Foxtrot’s back!”

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.
This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: John, MestreJ, Starless, Gear Change, DioKyo, Tacocat598, Canary in The Coal Mine, Ceepert, Doomgoey, Tiwake, Vigilant Watch, Joshua, Nfreak, Facinus, M, John, Rhys, Corey, Blade Tech, Mephia, Peter, Apollyon, Nightwing, 浩民 簡, Hannibal, Dragon's Sheperd, BeenMcsqueen, Mop Hop, Dale, Xvos, Nathan, Octavia and Lowbar, Lich lord krosis, Prysm, Mike, Astor, Travis, Soundtea, Menthol Qtip, Craig, Mirvra, Ivar, Pacsik, Kali, Makani, Steven, Fiamgoku, free, GruB, Todd, Megatyrant.