• Published 11th Jan 2021
  • 403 Views, 13 Comments

LEGO Equestria Girls: Side Stories - Chronicler06



These are a bunch of various short stories that take place alongside the main LEGO Equestria Girls stories.

  • ...
3
 13
 403

Twinlight Sparkle

Twinlight Sparkle

In the seemingly vast emptiness of outer space, there existed an interweaving series of paths made of 2x2 plates. Along these paths, an astronaut in a blue classic spacesuit hopped along from one plate to another. Along these paths, there were trails of 1x1 round plates floating in the air that came in the colors of silver, gold, and blue, all of which the astronaut grabbed and collected as he continued hopping along the floating pathways.

But this astronaut was not alone, as a robot with a menacing snarl displayed on its face was also hopping along the floating series of crisscrossing pathways. At first, this robot was merely wandering around aimlessly, but when it eventually wandered close to the astronaut, it gave off a noise resembling mocking laughter as it began to pursue the astronaut.

The astronaut yelped in terror and quickly began fleeing from the evil robot. Both the astronaut and the robot hopped along the various pathways, the astronaut taking left turns and right turns wherever possible, while the robot followed the same directions. The robot eventually pursued the astronaut onto a single pathway, and the astronaut’s only escape route was around a turn up ahead and towards the next intersection beyond it. However, just as the astronaut came around the corner, another evil robot wandered into that upcoming intersection, which gave off its own noise of mocking laughter as it also began to pursue the astronaut.

The astronaut yelped in terror again and turned back to flee the other way, but as he returned to the corner in the path of floating plates, the first evil robot was still coming after him from the other direction. With both directions of the path blocked by the incoming robots, the astronaut did nothing more than helplessly hop back and forth until one of the robots finally came into contact with him, flinging him off the pathway and causing him to scream in horror as he plunged into the abyss of outer space.

It was at this moment that the words “GAME OVER” flashed across the screen.

“Aww, no fair!” groaned Twilight Sparkle. “Those Mega-Bites blocked off both of my only escape routes!”

“That’s why you should never go near those one-outlet paths when both Mega-Bites happen to be on the same side of the board as you are,” advised Twilight Sparkle from the other side of the room.

Twilight — with her hair down and nothing on her face — stepped away from the video game machine with the name “Hack-Man” labeled across the sides and top over the video screen and walked over to the workbench where another Twilight — with glasses on her face and her hair tied back in a bun — currently had her attention focused down at something on the table in front of her.

“What’s that?” asked the first Twilight as she pointed at the small cylindrical device the other Twilight was working on.

“Just a little surprise gift I plan to give Sunset after she returns from her advanced combat training in Ninjago City,” answered the other Twilight as she snapped the protective covering back onto the device and set it aside.

“It sure was nice of you to invite me here when Sunset decided to leave that journal in your possession while she’s away,” noted the first Twilight — Princess Twilight Sparkle from Equestria. “Now that I’ve finished the first semester of my School of Friendship, I actually have some time to spare to see what I’ve been missing out on since my last visit to the Lego World.”

“Believe me, I’m thrilled that I have this opportunity to share some of the contents of my secret laboratory with my interdimensional counterpart,” remarked the other Twilight — the one native to the Lego World. “It’s really quite an interesting perspective to see what someone similar — but not identical — to me would think of all the things I’ve surrounded myself with for practically every day of my life.”

“Starlight told me about some of things you shared with her when she visited,” Princess Twilight pointed out, “but hearing a friend’s description and seeing it for yourself are two very different experiences.”

Lego Twilight smiled as she turned her head towards Princess Twilight standing beside her, but then frowned. While both of them wore a white lab coat and blue gloves over their standard outfits, Lego Twilight was the only one wearing safety goggles over her eyes.

Confused by the hard look her interdimensional counterpart was giving her, Princess Twilight raised an eyebrow and asked, “What?”

Lego Twilight raised her hand, which glowed with magenta magical energy as she gently waved it around, resulting in another pair of safety goggles levitating over to Princess Twilight and being placed over her eyes. “I shouldn’t have to remind you that an essential condition for visiting my secret laboratory is that proper safety equipment must be worn at all times,” scolded Lego Twilight.

Once those safety goggles were placed over her eyes, Princess Twilight giggled sheepishly and awkwardly responded, “Sorry. Guess I kinda forgot about that piece.” She cleared her throat and then spoke up, “Anyway, among the things Starlight mentioned about your laboratory, the one you seemed to be especially proud of was some kind of blade that you claim to be made of plasma.”

“Oh, so you’d like to see my plasma blade?” asked Lego Twilight. Without waiting for an answer, she quickly walked over to a set of shelves on the wall nearby and retrieved a small silver cylinder. She then brought it with her back to the other Twilight, held it out in front of her, and squeezed it.

FWISH!

With that noise, a lavender beam of pure plasma suddenly extended out the upper end of the cylinder and up to a length just over half the height of a minifig. “Practically weightless, can easily slice through just about anything, and makes a really cool noise whenever you wave it around,” described Lego Twilight before she waved and twirled the blade around for a few seconds, which produced a low humming noise with each swing.

Vrrr. Vrrr. Vrrr-vrrr. Vrrr.

Princess Twilight stared at the plasma blade for a few seconds with a thoughtful expression on her face, then she stated, “Remarkable technology, I’ll give you that, though personally, it might be a little excessively dangerous to be carrying around in most circumstances.”

Lego Twilight retracted the plasma blade and responded, “Trust me, I’m responsible enough to not utilize it unless my friends and I find ourselves faced with a situation where such a weapon would prove to be quite helpful.” She placed the deactivated plasma blade back on the shelf she had retrieved it from, then turned back to Princess Twilight and added, “Besides, keep in mind that many places in the Lego World have adversaries unlike anything you’ll find anywhere in your world. They’re not armed with just swords and arrows, but also potentially muskets, revolvers, or laser guns, so confronting them with a plasma blade is not really out of the question.”

Princess Twilight shifted around with a look of discomfort on her face as she asked, “Could we move on to something that’s… well, not a dangerous weapon?”

Lego Twilight smiled and replied, “I think I know just the thing that might interest you.” She then walked over to another nearby workbench and rolled out from underneath it what appeared to be some kind of boxy frame on wheels. Once she brought it over to her Equestrian counterpart, she shifted part of the frame so that it expanded to twice its original height, then flipped upright a square frame from the top of the structure. With this setup complete, the upright square was placed at the same height as a minifig’s head, and the glinting of light that Princess Twilight noticed indicated that this frame surrounded a pane of glass.

Once that setup was complete, Lego Twilight quickly made her way to the opposite side of the frame from where her interdimensional counterpart stood. “Do you see that button in front of the window?” instructed Lego Twilight. “Go ahead and press it, and you’ll see something really cool.”

Princess Twilight glanced down and saw in front of the window frame at the top of the small supporting structure was a red button with a long and narrow display screen beside it that currently showed the words “Standard Vision” on it. She had to admit she was curious what its purpose was, and since her counterpart was instructing her to try it out, she began to reach her hand towards the button.

“Oh! Wait! Hold on a second,” Lego Twilight suddenly spoke up just before the other Twilight was about to tap that button.

Princess Twilight held her hand over the button and watched as the other Twilight reached for a small device on a nearby table and tapped something on it, which caused all of the lights inside the laboratory to dim significantly to the point where it was almost impossible to see where she was.

Lego Twilight set aside the remote light switch and instructed, “Okay, now you can press that button.”

Princess Twilight hesitated briefly due to her confusion on why the lights needed to be dimmed for this experiment, but she trusted the other Twilight, so she went ahead and hit that button. She was astonished when the pane of glass in front of her suddenly began to project everything on the other side as if the lights were still on, albeit with everything now in a shade of green. She watched her counterpart smile and wave at her, then glanced down and noticed that the lightly glowing display screen now showed a different label. “Huh… Night Vision,” noted Princess Twilight in awe.

“Hit the button again,” instructed Lego Twilight eagerly.

Princess Twilight obeyed the request and hit that button again. The window now projected everything on the other side with a completely different arrangement of colors. The other Twilight and some of the surrounding machines were more red, while the background floor and wall were more blue. Princess Twilight checked the new label on the display screen and noted, “Heat Vision.”

“Do it one more time,” encouraged Lego Twilight.

Princess Twilight hit the button once again, and the projection coming through the window was void of any color, but it did seem to display the other Twilight as a skeleton. Princess Twilight didn’t even bother to glance down at the display label and eagerly remarked, “X-Ray Vision!”

Lego Twilight then proceeded to do a little bit of a playful dance.

Princess Twilight giggled at those antics and quipped, “Who would’ve thought that watching a dancing skeleton could be so entertaining?”

Lego Twilight then reached over to retrieve the remote light switch and turned the lights back up to their normal brightness. As she set aside that remote and walked over to her interdimensional counterpart, she explained, “This gadget is essentially a proof-of-concept for something I’ve been trying to develop for months, and as you just saw, I finally managed to get each type of vision to function properly, all on just a single closed system. Now the only thing I have left to do to complete this latest invention is to take what I’ve done with this window pane and apply it to a pair of specifically shaped lenses. In other words…” She grinned and pointed at her glasses. “Special Spectacles 2.0!”

“Wow,” remarked Princess Twilight in astonishment. “That does sound like quite a convenient invention. Congratulations on making that breakthrough to complete it.”

“Thank you, Princess,” acknowledged Lego Twilight contently. “But as I’m sure you remember from the last time we met, there’s one more undiscovered technology that I’ve been very eager to eventually figure out: zero fixed-point teleportation. In other words, the ability to instantly transport yourself to and from any location without needing to rely on any fixed infrastructure.”

“Now that is the kind of invention for which I’d be happy to lend a helping hoof,” agreed Princess Twilight. “Or rather, helping hand, I should say,” she added with a giggle.

Lego Twilight giggled as well, then walked over to another set of storage shelves along the wall and explained, “I’ve done numerous calculations based on those books on magical spellwork that you loaned me, and although these equations I came up with are not quite a hundred percent perfect, they have been reliable enough that I felt confident to try constructing a proof-of-concept prototype.” She opened a cabinet and pulled out a folder full of papers, then used her magical power to levitate out a mechanical object the size of a basketball that could be best described as a big jumble of wires and lights. She levitated the heavy and awkward device over to and set it down on the table close to the where Princess Twilight stood, then walked over and set the folder down on the table beside the device.

Princess Twilight opened the folder and glanced over the various papers contained inside. Once she had taken a couple minutes to study the contents written on those pages, she smiled as she turned to her interdimensional counterpart and stated, “So far as I can tell, everything seems to be accurate enough to pull this off.”

Lego Twilight grinned in excited satisfaction.

Princess Twilight put those pages neatly back into the folder before she turned her attention to the rather awkward device. She rubbed the back of her head and uneasily asked, “And you’re fairly confident that this, uh… thing… should be capable of teleportation?”

“For something that utilizes technology instead of magic? Absolutely!” answered Twilight confidently with a smile and a nod. She then expressed some uncertainty as she continued, “Or at least, it’s the absolute minimum necessary to achieve multi-range teleportation. Once I’ve been able to properly test this thing successfully, then I can start developing a much more refined version that’s more efficient, compact, and aesthetically pleasing.”

Princess Twilight hesitated for a moment before she asked, “So, uh… does this mean you wish to test it out right now?”

Lego Twilight stared at the device for a moment with a contemplative look on her face. Finally, she smiled and shrugged as she replied, “Sure! Let’s go for it!” She rushed back to the wall of shelves, hastily opened one drawer, and retrieved some kind of remote-control device from within it. As she rushed back to her counterpart, she explained, “I installed a video camera onto the test vessel so that in case if the teleportation ends up off course, we’ll have a chance to identify where it actually materialized.”

“Sounds like a good failsafe to me,” concurred Princess Twilight.

Lego Twilight made a few more quick adjustments on both the remote and the test vessel, then she took a few steps back and stated, “For this first test, I intend to send it only a very short distance across the table. First, I have to record its current coordinates…” She entered the relevant information onto the remote. “…enter the intended destination coordinates…” She then entered that information onto the remote as well. “And finally, hit the activation button.”

When Lego Twilight hit that button on the remote, the test vessel was gradually engulfed in a bright white light along with a steady shimmering noise before it finally faded out of existence. Lego Twilight grinned at this initial success, but her smile quickly fell when the test vessel failed to materialize on a different part of that same table.

Instead, they very faintly heard that shimmering noise again. Princess Twilight glanced back and noted, “I think I heard it materialize over there.” She turned back and headed towards where the faint noise had come from, with Lego Twilight following right behind her.

The two Twilights made their way around one of the supercomputer towers at one side of laboratory and immediately halted as soon as they discovered the test vessel was now cleanly embedded halfway through the concrete wall.

“Well, can’t say I’m surprised,” stated Princess Twilight in a tone of disappointment. “Teleportation is a rather advanced spell that not every unicorn is capable of casting. The lesson books that explain how to utilize such spells often include a warning that those with weak magic or poor experience could risk teleporting themselves way off course with a very real possibility that they could end up partially or completely embedded into a fixed object.”

“And it is for that reason why I built this test vessel rather than do any live experimenting on myself,” acknowledged Lego Twilight bitterly.

An awkward silence passed between the two girls before Princess Twilight suggested, “Maybe you should give it another test. At the very least, just to get it out of the wall.”

“Probably a good idea,” Lego Twilight reluctantly agreed as she enter the sets of coordinates onto the remote. “I certainly don’t wanna go through the effort of trying to chip it out of the wall.” Once all of the coordinates were entered — with the intent to bring the test vessel back to the table where it came from — she tapped the activation button.

Once again, the test vessel was gradually engulfed in a bright white light along with a steady shimmering noise before it faded out of existence, leaving behind a seemingly unscathed wall. This time, there was no immediate sign of the object rematerializing — not even the shimmering noise was heard anywhere inside the room.

“Where did it go this time?” asked Princess Twilight as she glanced around in all directions.

“Looks like I’ll need to check the camera,” noted Lego Twilight as she looked closely at the display screen built into the remote in her hands. As she and her Equestrian counterpart watched, they initially saw nothing but empty blue sky, then they saw part of a building move across the screen, quickly followed by another building, and soon they saw what appeared to be an overhead layout of city streets shift rapidly back and forth across the screen.

“Is the test vessel falling from a great height?” asked Princess Twilight in astonishment.

“Sure looks like it,” concluded Lego Twilight in disappointment as she watched the live video plummeting closer towards one building in particular. “I believe that’s the roof of the apartment building above us…”

Only a few seconds later, the falling test vessel finally impacted with that apartment building rooftop. The video feed briefly cut out, but was quickly restored, revealing little bits and pieces suddenly scattering around all over the place.

“And there goes four months, two weeks, and three days of careful design and assembly,” grumbled Lego Twilight. She let out a sigh of frustration and carelessly tossed aside the now worthless remote. “A major setback, but I’m not gonna just give up right here. One of these days, I’ll figure out the secret to reliable zero fixed-point teleportation.”

“I’m sure you will,” assured Princess Twilight. An uneasy silence passed before she spoke up, “So… what other experiments have you been working on that I could help you out with?”

Lego Twilight smiled and smugly replied, “Oh, there’s a whole lot of other things left to explore right here in my laboratory.”

“Then it’s a good thing I cleared my schedule for today,” remarked Princess Twilight with a smile. “Where to next?”

Author's Note:

Good thing this one turned out rather short, so I was able to get it done relatively quickly. Also, this short story marks a major transition for me, because until now, every chapter of every story in my fanfiction series had been typed in a Word Document on my old laptop that's now ten years old, and this is the very first piece of content I've typed on the newer version of Word that I have access to on my desktop that I got only a year ago (although this first attempt has already proven to be more problematic in some ways than what I had to deal with on the older version). Anyway, as for the story content, that "Hack-Man" video game is based on the hacking minigame seen in the Lego Movie Videogame, as well as Lego Dimensions. Also, I kind of had to look back across multiple stories to make sure that I wouldn't accidentally contradict any earlier content in the series (such as Lego Twilight's progress on Special Spectacles 2.0), which I suppose goes to show just how long this whole series of mine has been ongoing. Well, here's hoping that I can get through these last few stories I've got planned without too much trouble.