• Published 2nd Jan 2021
  • 923 Views, 166 Comments

Retcon - Beige



A pony with no memory awakens in a strange facility.

  • ...
2
 166
 923

Prologue

♋︎ ω ♀ ⊕ ♈︎

Testimonial – Cpl Cobalt Storm

The unicorn strolled down the twilit streets of Canterlot. His shift had just ended, but he still kept a watchful eye for the citizens that were enjoying a night out. Ponies passed by him, often in groups, chatting and laughing.

Nopony paid him much attention, looking for all the world like just another Royal Guard on his rounds. That suited him fine. It had been a long day, and he wanted a drink.

The Black Horse was a quiet, cosy place, quite unlike the more boisterous bars that the younger ponies enjoyed. As Cobalt stepped in, he saw that there were no more than a dozen ponies inside. Most were seated in small groups around tables, some seated at the bar.

Busy tonight, he thought to himself.

“Ah, Cobalt!” called the orange earth pony behind the bar, giving a mock salute.

Cobalt grinned. “Alright, Amber? How’s it going?”

“Ahh, can’t complain. Busy tonight!”

The guard laughed. “Yeah, looks it.”

“So what can I get ya? Usual?”

“Please.” Cobalt pulled out a few bits with his magic and placed them on the bar, taking a seat on one of the stools. Amber grabbed a glass and pulled a pint of cider from the draught font.

Cobalt noticed the mare seated next to him had frozen up when he had reached the bar. She was an aqua-coated pegasus with a slightly darker blue mane. Her golden eyes were pinpricks as she stared at the half-drunk glass before her. Her ears were flat against her head.

“Everything alright ma’am?” Cobalt asked gently.

He saw her eyes shift slightly towards his direction, but she otherwise didn’t react.

He looked up when he heard Amber setting his glass down on the bar. “Here you are, champ.” His smile faltered when he saw Cobalt’s expression.

Frowning, Cobalt, tilted his head to his side, toward the mare.

Amber flicked his eyes toward the mare. He looked confused, and shook his head slightly.

Drawing himself up, Cobalt nodded once. Looking slightly perplexed, Amber left without a word to do something at the other end of the bar.

Cobalt chewed the inside of his cheek. He could tell the pegasus next to him was trying not to shake like a leaf. He sighed inwardly.

“Ma’am, you okay?”

The tips of her ears were quivering. And now she’s muttering to herself.

With one movement, the pegasus lifted the glass and drained the whole thing, surprising Cobalt with the sudden movement. She placed the glass back on the bar, seemingly steeling herself. She drew a sharp breath, and turned to face him.

Her eyes were glistening. She looked like she was freezing cold, even though it was warm inside. She opened and closed her mouth a few times before she finally spoke.

“…I-I surrender.”

Cobalt blinked. That’s… not what I expected…

“You… surrender?” He felt silly clarifying her statement, thinking he must have misheard.

She turned back to the bar, nervously tapping her forehooves on the surface. Her eyes were closed, and she started breathing more deeply and steadily. “…too many ponies…” she mumbled under her breath.

“Ma’am, did I hear you right?”

She glanced back up, then looked over her shoulder briefly, before gingerly beckoning Cobalt closer. As he leaned over, she whispered to him;

“Don’t hurt me. I’m a changeling. I surrender.”

Cobalt froze.

He remembered all too well the terrible Canterlot Invasion. Images and sounds from nearly a year ago suddenly flashed before his eyes. The fighting. Pulling ponies from the green goo. His nose, dripping blood. Princess Celestia, defeated.

Since the Invasion, the Guard had attempted to rout any remaining changelings hiding amongst the populace, but every time they had tracked one down, it had always managed to escape. The Guard had never been able to question a changeling.

Why would this one turn herself in?

Cobalt looked her over. There was nothing he could see that gave away her identity. All he saw was a pony. One who looked like she wanted to sink through the floor and vanish. One whose eyes were boring into his, fearing his reaction.

“Y-… You’re a-”

Shhh!” she hushed in an undertone, glancing around. She looked set to panic.

The Guard had standing orders to detain any changelings for questioning. If she was indeed a changeling, Cobalt wasn’t about to fall for some pity ploy, but her behaviour was unexpected. He turned to his drink and took a sip. “Why are you telling me?” he asked quietly, trusting that she’d be able to hear.

The pegasus was trying to compose herself, though it wasn’t entirely working. Her ears were still flat, and her wings flitted against her back. “I give up,” she responded, exhaling the words like she couldn’t hold them in. “Hungry, nowhere else to go. I can’t do this anymore.”

Cobalt was torn. She looked and acted so much like the citizenry he was sworn to protect, but changelings were a mostly unknown species. He wanted to comfort her, but he also had his orders. He also couldn’t dismiss the possibility that he was being played, as unlikely as it appeared.

“Were you… part of the Invasion last year?”

The pegasus’s small shakes ceased. She stared at her empty glass.

“Okay…” Cobalt leaned back in his stool. “Let’s say I take you in. What then? What do you want from us?”

The pegasus frowned. “… I- … I hadn’t really… thought that far ahead…”

Cobalt couldn’t help but feel a pang of concern. “So you’re turning yourself in and, what, hoping for the best?”

She didn’t respond.

Glancing up, Cobalt spotted Amber busying himself washing glasses, shooting the pair a look every now and then. Silently, he thanked his friend for giving the two of them some space. He took one last swig of his cider and set it back down, not even having drunk a quarter of it.

“First of all, who are you disguised as?”

She glanced down as her forelegs, then at Cobalt. “I’m not changing here. Ponies, they’ll see.”

He nodded. “That’s fine, but where did you get that disguise?”

“Oh. I made it up. Not a real pegasus.”

Huh. Well that simplifies things if she’s not replaced anyone.

“You got a name?”

She frowned. “Yes.”

“You wanna share it with the class?”

“…No.”

“I’ll trade you for mine,” he offered.

The pegasus shook her head slightly. “Treason, they’ll kill me,” she said in a small voice. “Not giving a name.”

Oh… Right… Take this more seriously, Cobalt.

“Then… why are you talking to me?” he asked softly.

Cobalt couldn’t read the expression on the pegasus’ face, just that he didn’t like it.

She traced the condensation on the side of her empty glass with a hoof. “Gonna die anyway.”

A thought suddenly occurred to Cobalt. What if there were other changelings nearby? They had been talking quietly, but he became very conscious of what they were discussing. How would another changeling react to her speaking freely about them?

“Why don’t you come with me?” he said. “We can talk more back at the barracks.”

He had posed it as an offer, but given the standing orders on changelings he’d hoped she would agree. Thankfully, though grimacing, she nodded gingerly.

“Alright,” he said, mostly to himself. Standing, he waved at Amber, who walked over with a friendly smile. “Hey, sorry I gotta dash so soon, I need to get back to work.” He laughed. “You know how it is.”

He noticed Amber pointedly not looking at the pegasus beside him. “No worries champ! Everything alright?”

The pegasus mare stiffened slightly.

“Yeah, all good, situation’s green,” Cobalt said dismissively.

Amber kept smiling, but it no longer reached his eyes. Cobalt was glad to see his friend remembered what a Code Green situation meant amongst the Guards. “Ah grand, sounds like you’ve got everything under control.”

The pegasus mare’s ears had pricked up.

Cobalt recognised Amber’s question. “Yep, no problems here.” He turned to the pegasus. “Ma’am, if you’d like to follow me.” As he turned to leave, she stood and followed close by.

They stepped outside into the cold air of the night. There were still ponies out enjoying their night out, passing by happily chatting in groups, though Cobalt now wondered if any of them might be changelings. The possibility of a hidden changeling attempting to kill his charge was not a threat he’d thought he would have to watch out for.

Leaning over, he whispered to the pegasus, “Don’t get too far away from me, I’d hate to have to carry you back in restraints.”

“Oh I’m sticking with you.” She was eyeing a group of passers-by.

“Alright then,” he replied, hoping he wasn’t being lured into some sort of trap.

Testimonial – Maj Silver Wing

“Evening, ma’am. How can I help you?”

The pegasus jumped at the voice behind the desk, moving behind Cobalt to place him between herself and the other Royal Guard.

If Silver Wing had an opinion on the pegasus’ reaction, he didn’t let his face in on the secret. He turned to Cobalt. “Corporal?”

“Sir, if I may, this pegasus has willingly placed herself in our custody unprompted and has indicated interest in a parley. I only ask that our reception to-”

“I’d be rather more interested in an explanation over a recommendation, Corporal.”

“Yes sir.” He glanced back at the pegasus. Her eyes looked glazed over, and she didn’t appear to be fully listening. She’s resigned her fate to us.

He looked his superior in the eye. “Sir, suspected Code Green.”

That got Silver Wing’s attention, his expression hardening substantially as he looked between Cobalt and the pegasus. “Your reason for belief?”

“She told me so, sir.”

“I… see.” After a moment’s thought, Silver Wing leaned forward and addressed the pegasus. “Ma’am? Would you mind telling me what you told the Corporal?”

Her hazy eyes never left the floor. She worked her mouth wordlessly for a few seconds before she responded. “…I am a changeling.”

Silver Wing nodded gravely, and turned to Cobalt. “Thoughts?”

“Sir, I would hear her out, standard procedure witness questioning.”

“Indeed? That would not have been my call. Nor would I have allowed a suspected Code Green to traipse around the city unrestrained.”

“…No sir.”

Silver Wing clacked his teeth in thought. “Very well. Corporal, escort our witness to the questioning room, and wait with her until we can relieve you.”

“Thank you, sir,” replied Cobalt, saluting. He shot a glance behind him. “This way, please.”

As the lethargic pegasus dragged her hooves out of the room, Steel Wing leaned back from his desk, exhaling deeply, wondering exactly what his department was in for. A changeling willingly surrendering was unheard of. The possibility existed that the Guard may finally be able to learn about ponykind’s shadowy predators.

Silver Wing scowled. This situation required finesse.

A young Guard stepped into the room and snapped to attention with a crisp salute.

Silver Wing raised an eyebrow. “Yes, Corporal Freeform?”

“Sir, shall I get the interrogation box?”

“No Corporal, that won’t be necessary.

“… Do keep it on standby though.”

Testimonial – Flt Lt Light Shower

“Thank you for coming at short notice.”

Silver Wing hurried down the corridor after the newcomer, a lilac pegasus with a short blue mane and a raincloud for a cutie mark.

“Sure. What exactly have we got?” Light Shower asked as she walked.

“Pegasus mare, claims to be a changeling. She supposedly surrendered herself to a Guard unprompted and was brought here about three hours ago. Protocol dictates we bring in you people first, so we haven’t yet attempted questioning.”

Shower turned right at the end of the corridor. “I assume you’ve confirmed the identity of the Guard?”

“Yes, he gave the correct answers on his file.”

Good, she thought, as they reached the room. It was little more than an office space with a large glass window looking out onto the corridor, the blinds currently open. The Guard used this room for cross-examining witnesses rather than questioning suspects, the large open window tended to put ponies at ease more so than a wall-height mirror would.

Glancing inside, she saw a Royal Guard standing just on the other side of the door. At the table was a light blue pegasus. Her forelegs and head were lying on the table as if she were asleep, her face away from the window.

Shower raised an eyebrow at the Major. “Any reason why a suspected changeling is in a witness room rather than a cell?”

Silver Wing pulled a face, nodding at the door. “It was at the suggestion of the Corporal who brought her in, on account of her behaviour.”

Shower nodded lightly after a moment’s thought. “Understood.”

“You know, it was something of a surprise when they sent you,” said Silver Wing. He waved a hoof. “Always a pleasure to meet an old acquaintance of course, but when the R.I.I decides to muscle in on the Guard, I wasn’t exactly expecting a former Guard to show up.”

She tilted her head slightly. “Nice to see you too, boss.”

“I’m hardly your boss anymore, Shower. Though I’d have thought that, after your sudden promotion to some initiative I’m not even allowed to ask about, you wouldn’t still be Flight Lieutenant the next time we met.”

Shower shrugged. “What can I say? They don’t put much stock in titles.” She nodded her head at the door. “Excuse me.”

“Oh, of course.”

Silver Wing looked as if he wanted to say more as Shower opened the door and stepped into the room. She eyed the pegasus mare at the table for a moment, and when she didn’t stir, turned to address the Guard.

“Corporal?”

“Ma’am.” Corporal Cobalt Storm gave her a slight questioning look. He had probably been expecting a Guard and not an unarmoured stranger, she surmised.

“Light Shower, I’m with the R.I.I.”

There was the reaction she relished. Cobalt snapped to attention, a degree of surprise on his face.

She took a step closer and continued in an undertone. “I’ve been caught up on the situation. Are opinions you have on our friend?”

Cobalt chewed the inside of his cheek. “She was… flat-out terrified. I don’t think she was planning to out herself, she just… I think she panicked when she saw me.” He shot a sympathetic glance at the unresponsive pegasus. “I asked her what she wanted in return, she just said she hadn’t thought about it.” He turned back to Shower, a serious look in his eye. “She said she surrendered because she was out of options, but she also said that their penalty for treason is death. I believe she’s desperate, ma’am.” He looked troubled. “I understand that a changeling… that she could be making all this up, that she’s playing the long game or something. I get that. But if I may… I don’t think she is.”

Shower glanced over at the table, mulling all of it over. After a few seconds, she nodded at Cobalt. “Thank you Corporal, that’ll be all. Oh, what refreshments do you have on hoof?”

“Um, coffee? We have fruit, but I could get you something else. Cherry pie?”

“Just some fruit and water, please.” She nodded in dismissal. Cobalt gave a brief salute and left, closing the door behind him.

Shower took the cushion closest to the window, and sat down. The changeling hadn’t yet moved from her place on the table.

“Hello,” she said in a soft, neutral tone. “My name is Light Shower. I was told you wanted to talk?”

The mare’s ears flicked in response. After several seconds, the mare slowly began to move, lifting her head up off of the table. Her mane was a mess, her eyes bloodshot and unfocused.

Shower waited a little longer, though it seemed the mare wasn’t going to speak. “I have a few things I’d like to ask you. Is there anything you’d like to ask me first?”

The changeling dropped her chin back on the table, eyes looking to one side, away from the conversation. She didn’t respond.

“I have been told you claim to be a changeling.” At Shower’s words, the other mare winced. “Is this true?”

Finally, she drew a slow breath and looked back at Shower. “Yes. What will happen to me?” the changeling croaked.

Shower blinked at the response. “That… remains to be seen,” she responded gently. “We have never had a changeling guest before.”

The changeling looked away again. “Unhelpful,” she muttered quietly.

Huh, she’s very direct. I wonder…

“You’ll be treated in accordance with your behaviour. You’re not in a cell right this moment because you’ve given us no reason to put you in one.” She chanced a small smile which she hoped came off as friendly. “The least I can do is hear you out.”

“…Okay…” She didn’t look or sound certain.

“Tell you what,” Shower said as she stood up. She turned and pulled down the blinds on the window that looked out onto the hallway. “Would you like to drop the disguise?”

The mare grimaced and looked away. Waiting for a response, Shower sat back down, forelegs crossed and resting on the table. The mare worked her jaw, her wings fidgeting. Eventually, she squeezed her eyes shut and held her breath.

As she did, a flash of green flame licked at her forehead. The conflagration promptly spread down her mane, catching on her coat and covering her whole body, leaving behind black chitin with a deep blue carapace on her back. Her feathered wings vanished, replaced by thin translucent membranes, which Shower found particularly uncomfortable to look at. A sharp, curved horn had appeared on the changeling’s forehead, and her limbs were riddled with holes.

It took her a few seconds to open her eyes, which were fully turquoise and lacked pupils.

It was a struggle for Shower not to react to the transformation. She had prepared for it, but everything about the creature before her set her teeth on edge. She hoped that her discomfort was not too obvious. “Hello,” she said in greeting.

She found it difficult to read the changeling’s facial expression, especially when her (Shower assumed it was a her) mouth opened, revealing a set of large, sharp canines. There was a peculiar quality to her voice as she spoke. It sounded to Shower like the changeling was speaking into a fan.

“…Hi, pony…”

Shower resisted the urge to shudder. “Why don’t we start with why you came to us?”

The changeling’s body language didn’t seem all that different from when she was disguised. “No choice.” She lifted a foreleg to her shoulder, as if to hold herself.

Shower knitted her eyebrows. “How do you mean?”

The changeling stared off into the distance, shaking her head slightly. Or at least, Shower thought she was staring into the distance, the monochrome eyes were difficult to follow. “Invasion was a mistake,” she started, quietly. “Food was always hard to get, but we got by. Now it’s impossible. We should be a secret, but changelings are common knowledge. Ponies have become doubtful, suspicious. Can’t eat that.”

“And, when you say ‘food’…”

The changeling nodded. “Emotions, yes. Feed off of you, of ponies.”

The door opened before Shower could respond. She turned to see Cobalt step into the room with a tray held in his magic, then paused, surprise evident on his face. The changeling tensed up, watching the Guard warily.

Cobalt addressed the other pegasus in the room, a little hesitation in his voice. “Ma’am?”

Shower gestured to the other side of the table. The changeling flinched as Cobalt walked over, her lowered head tracking him as he moved. Delicately, he set the tray down on the table.

She switched attention to Shower for a moment, an odd expression on her face, before returning back to Cobalt as he retreated to the door.

“Anything else, ma’am?”

“No thanks.”

As the door closed, the changeling leaned forward, scrutinising the tray. It carried a glass of water and small bowl with an apple, a pear and some grapes.

She shot Shower a look, judging by the way her chin tilted up at her. “What’s this?”

“I thought you might like something.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly. Her horn lit up with the same green fire, which enveloped the glass, levitating it up to her mouth, her sharp canines clanking against the side. She leaned back after a sip, then turned her attention back to Shower, the glass floating nearby.

Shower raised an eyebrow. “Not hungry?”

“Not for solid food.”

“Then what do you want?” Her tone remained neutral.

She stared into the glass. “Love energy.”

“And how does that work?”

She gave Shower an odd look, cocking her head to one side. She swirled her water for a few seconds, then set it back down. “Changelings need love energy to survive,” she explained, eyes seemingly pointed at the table. “We can eat solid food like you, but not useful. Love energy sustains us.” Her tongue flicked over a canine as she looked up at Shower. “If you direct an emotion at a pony, it goes nowhere. But a changeling can feed on that.”

Shower frowned. “Just, feeling emotions about somepony? That’s all you need?”

“Yes. If it is directed at us, yes.”

“And does this… feeding process hurt?”

The changeling frowned. “No, it doesn’t hurt. But… it can take your strength. We need energy, energy must come from somewhere. Light feeding, you might get dizzy. Feed too much… and you tire.”

“I see.” So that’s how it works. She made sure her expression and tone were flat before continuing. “And the Invasion?”

The changeling looked down at her glass, shaking her head. “Mistake, mistake. Can force energy out of ponies, but not for long. Move of desperation.”

“Right.” She paused for a moment. “Why are you out here in Canterlot? Why not with your… hive? I mean…”

“Yes, hive, yes,” the changeling pointed at her with a hoof for emphasis. “I am an Infiltrator; I collect love energy for the hive.” She faltered. “Was. …All Infiltrators were ordered to collect energy, and not return until we have enough to share. Tried to return early, but…” She closed her eyes. “It’s no use. Not now ponies know we exist. Going to die anyway, I’m just… I’m tired of running. An Infiltrator who can’t collect is useless, so… became regular traitor…”

“Can you tell what I’m feeling?”

Once again those huge, turquoise eyes met her own. “A little. You are brave.”

That’s not what I expected. “Um, thanks. You can sense bravery?”

“I smell you’re afraid.” Shower felt a pang of unease. “Yet you stay with me.” She shook her head. “Not a compliment. The brave ones are the most dangerous.”

Ooh-kay… “Are you… feeding off of my emotions right now?”

The changeling pulled a face. “No. Not negative emotions. Can’t feed on those, makes me hungrier. You have nothing for me.”

That was disconcerting. “You… you’re hungry, aren’t you.”

The piercing look that Shower received chilled her to her spine.

Very.

Shower tried to keep her expression blank, but a part of her realised that was probably pointless. Even with her training, looking into the eyes of a starving predator was not something she could ignore. She couldn’t look away.

The changeling thankfully broke eye contact first, blinking and looking down at the table again. Her horn sparked green and the magic fire briefly flickered around a grape, but she released the spell without taking it.

“A-alright.” Shower cleared her throat. “First off, I cannot allow you to attempt to drain anypony by force. Do you understand?”

The changeling snorted derisively at that. “Understand. I hurt you, you squash me.” She nudged the fruit bowl around the tray with a hoof. “Not stupid thanks.”

Not how I would’ve worded it. Shower blinked. Wait… she can’t read thoughts, right? ... No, don’t be paranoid.

“Okay then…” Shower rubbed the side of her head with a hoof, conflicted. “So, how are we going to feed you?”

There was a clink of the bowl on the tray as the changeling jumped, eyes suddenly wide and focused on Shower. “…Huh?”

Shower gave her a sideward glance. “What? We’re hardly going to let you starve.”

The turquoise stare continued for an uncomfortably long time. Eventually, the changeling broke the silence. “Why?” Those terrible eyes narrowed. “What is the catch?”

Shower wanted to say that there wasn’t one, but she had a feeling that wouldn’t fly. “Tell you what, you promise not to hurt anypony and you help answer a few questions, and we’ll do everything we can to keep you fed and safe.” She couldn’t help but feel strange about bartering pony-sourced sustenance for a predator. But then, that kind of thing sometimes came with the job. “Deal?”

The changeling’s features went slack. All of a sudden, she looked very small at the far end of the table. “…Deal,” she said, looking surprised at the sound of her own voice.

Testimonial – Lemony Meringue

“Hey Lems, you got a minute?”

“Huh?” Lemony blinked owlishly at the new voice in the room, a griffon, who had poked his head around the door. “Oh, uhh, just a… Can you come back? I’m kind of right in the middle of this.”

Gurney grinned at the stacks of books at Lemony’s desk. “Well unless it’s about to blow up, it’s gonna have to wait.”

She frowned. “What’s going on?”

“Big ol’ meeting with everyone. C’mon!” The griffon turned and left, leaving the door to her office wide open.

Lemony sighed, giving the slab of glowing runes and the open book one last glance before she stood and followed him out into the hallway.

At the end was a large open space with a circular table, with an empty podium set in the middle. She was surprised to see almost all of her co-workers in one room, all ponies with the exception of Gurney. Most of the cushions were already taken, though a few were standing and chatting, with isolated conversations happening all around the room.

Okay, so it’s not started yet.

Lemony took a seat next to Gurney, leaning over to the griffon. “So what’s this about?”

“Beats me,” he shrugged. “Odd that we’ve all been called in for it though.”

“Yeah…”

The sound of a burst of air coming from a side door brought a lull to the room. As the stragglers started taking their seats, Light Shower stepped through the door, joined by an off-white unicorn with a long mane and tail, green with a streak of vivid crimson, and a cutie mark of two leaves. She wore a serious expression on her face, which from Lemony’s experience was not atypical for Sky.

Shower took her seat, but the newcomer remained standing. “Before we begin,” Sky started, looking around the room.

“…any changelings here like to step forward?”

The meeting room went deathly silent. Some of the attendees began glancing around the room, others yet stared at Sky. Gurney was frowning, looking confused.

Sky raised a brow. “No one?” She gave the table a few more seconds, before gesturing to another unicorn at the table. “Fair enough. Sparkler, if you could.”

The fuchsia unicorn’s horn lit up as she levitated a deep-red gem embedded into a silver circlet. Holding it aloft, her horn flashed brighter for a split second, causing a crimson flash of light to fill the room, leaving Lemony feeling weird and fizzy for a moment. She looked around at her co-workers, who all appeared to be feeling the same way. Been a while since we used active nullite inside here.

Sky nodded, satisfied. “Alright, that simplifies things. Sorry about that. Shower, you’re up.” With that, Sky sat down, adopting a light resting scowl.

“Thanks for coming, everyone,” began Shower. “The long and short of it is that the Canterlot Guard has a changeling in their custody. We’ll be bringing the subject here to the Institute for the foreseeable future.” She paused to allow the brief murmur from around the table, then continued. “This is the first time anypony has had the opportunity to study a changeling up close, so it’s important we play this right. I need you all to understand that this changeling willingly surrendered to the Guard unprompted, and has so far been surprisingly compliant. Whatever your opinions on the Wedding, I’m gonna need you to keep them to yourselves.”

“Was it a part of the Invasion?” asked a blue earth pony stallion.

“Unconfirmed, though to be honest, my gut says probably.”

A cream-coated mare with a blue-and-purple mane piped up, “Who’s the assignee then, I’m guessing Gurney?”

“A new species to study? Ehrfurcht gebietend, it’d be my genuine pleasure.”

“I certainly hope our apex predator doesn’t get any bright ideas,” snarked Shower.

Gurney grinned. “Your little pet is safe from me; I don’t eat bugs.”

Shower smirked momentarily before she continued. “We’ll need you on board of course, but we’ll need someone else as the assignee. That’s actually why I called all of you here. I’m going to need a volunteer.” She paused, seemingly choosing her words.

“Does anypony want to figure out how to feed a changeling?”

An uncomfortable silence fell over the room.

“Uhh… you want to run that by us again?” asked the fuchsia unicorn.

“Well, the changeling needs sustenance, and that energy must come from a pony. Specifically a pony, so great news, you’re off the menu too,” Shower quipped at the griffon. Her expression sobered quickly. “But yeah, there’s no two ways about it. Either we work something out, or the changeling starves. Or of course we let her go free, but she apparently turned herself in because of difficulty getting food, so that’s not a great option.”

A white unicorn mare with a purple-striped mane broke the awkward pause. “Um, what exactly does this process entail? Changelings feed off love, do we know anything more about how?”

Shower frowned. “Only a little so far. The way it was explained to me…” She chewed her tongue in thought. “If you feel any strong positive emotion towards a changeling, disguised or not, then it can then siphon energy from you. The stronger the emotion, the more positive it is, then the more energy it can get.” Her expression deepened. “It also sounded like negative emotions may instead cause harm. The changeling said that negative emotions make her hungrier, which is concerning.”

“Wait a minute,” spoke up a pale earth pony mare with a raspberry mane. “I think at least one of us needs to bring up the chance that this is just a trap.”

“On Shower’s testimonial, I am willing to allow this to play out,” replied Sky. “The assignee will be reporting to Shower, who in turn will keep her interactions with the subject to a minimum. Sparkler, Velvet and I will have no contact with the subject, and will be checking for signs of mental manipulation.” The two named unicorns glanced at each other. Sky waved a hoof. “Continue.”

A pegasus with a spiked-up ice-blue mane and a blue flight suit cleared her throat. “Why exactly did this changeling give herself in? I mean, you mention difficulty getting food, but that could mean…”

“Oh ancestors…” Gurney swore, suddenly sitting up straight.

Shower nodded slowly. “Yeah. Apparently, they haven’t been able to get as much energy since the failed Invasion. Our changeling was instructed not to come back until she had collected enough to share, but she couldn’t even feed herself. And you’re right… We need to learn as much as we can in case any more changelings come knocking.”

“Very well then,” said Sky, interrupting before the silence could linger. “Unless there’s any further questions? … The changeling will be brought here shortly. We need volunteers to offer energy to keep the subject alive. This takes priority over your current assignments. I can’t ask any one of you to participate, this feeding process is not well understood and is a breach of personal autonomy, so you must willingly decide for yourself. Gurney, Velvet, Sparkler and Shower are to abstain.”

Lemony looked nervously around the room, seeing that some of the others were doing the same. Sparkler looked uncomfortable, but sat still. To her surprise, a very hesitant Bon Bon was the first to raise her hoof.

Shoot, do I go for it? Thought Lemony, conflicted. I don’t want some bug leeching off of me. That sounds awful. She saw Roseluck slowly raise a foreleg as well. I’m just the historian, this isn’t my field. Besides, back in Canterlot… She suppressed a shudder. Yeah, I’m staying out of this.

Feeling a weight off her withers, she glanced around to see if anyone else had volunteered. Briefly, her eyes caught Shower’s. Lemony paused.

Wait, Shower was there in Canterlot too, wasn’t she? I thought she’d hate the changelings for that… whole mess. But she’s spoken to this one? I don’t…

She had a mug of coffee back at her desk. She had drunk most of it, though the rest was most likely cold by now. She had meant to replenish it after the meeting. She could do that.

She remembered unbidden that she had eaten a half a grapefruit with sugar for breakfast that morning. The other half was sitting in the fridge, for tomorrow.

Both her parents were earth ponies. She remembered a childhood of helping her father out in the garden with the carrots and the rhubarbs. She was never that good at cooking, but she’d help out her mother, a chef, by holding up all the little pots of spices and herbs with her magic.

Her forehead prickled, along the tiny hairline fracture running only an inch up the base of her horn. Images of a Canterlot under siege flashed through her mind. She saw the streets, the ponies running past her. The castle getting closer. Shadows in the sky.

Lemony raised her hoof.

Then blinked when she realised she had interrupted Sky, who had been talking.

Oh, uhh… everyone’s looking at me…

Testimonial – Lemony Meringue

“You feeling ready?”

Lemony stood outside one of the sapient habitation quarters, the room where the changeling had been moved. During the briefing with Shower regarding what was known about the subject, she had asked to go first, which the other two mares who had volunteered seemed to appreciate.

She turned to look at Shower, who seemed uneasy. “Uh, I think so. As ready as I can be!” she said, trying to bring levity to her words. Her heart was beating out of her chest, but she was determined to give it a try.

“Alright. Just be careful, okay?” Shower paused before she spoke again. “Shout if you need anything, I won’t be far away, yeah?”

Lemony smiled weakly. She knew that was supposed to put her at ease, but thinking about how to solve future possible problems just made her worry about the problems actually happening. “Sure thing.”

“And uhh, thank you, for doing this. I’d have volunteered myself if Sky hadn’t put me in charge of the project.” She nodded encouragingly. “Good luck.”

“Thanks,” Lemony nodded earnestly in reply.

She opened the door and stepped inside a plain room that wasn’t too dissimilar from a small hotel room, if one were to ignore the concrete floor beneath the carpet. And the bars in the window, of course.

Plus, a hotel might typically put a mint on the pillow, and not a changeling.

Lemony briefly registered a flash a large teal eyes and sharp teeth, then a lick of bright, green flame, and she found herself looking at a surprised-looking Shower standing on the bed, one foreleg raised to her barrel and wings held aloft.

…Huh?

The door clicked gently shut behind her.

Lemony blinked, her mind having stalled. “...Uhhh...”

You just saw Shower outside. And she acted like Shower normally does. And then there was the green flames. Keep it together, dummy.

“...Uh, hi!” she ventured. “W-Why did you change into Shower?”

The changeling actually managed to look sheepish. “...I jumped,” she responded in Shower’s voice.

This isn’t a great start. Lemony shook her head. Try again. “My name’s Lemony,” she said, trying to sound cheerful. “Mind if I come in for a chat?”

The false Shower jumped down off of the bed. “Do I have a choice?” she asked, cocking a brow.

“...Um, yeah. Is this a bad time?”

The changeling frowned. “No. ...Okay.”

Lemony smiled. “What’s your name?” She knew that the changeling had refused to give one, but couldn’t help but start there.

“No names,” she shook her head. “Need to keep it secret.”

“That’s okay. Would you like a new one? Or, like, a nickname or something?”

“...Maybe?”

Maybe later then...

“Do you, uhh... want to drop the disguise?” Lemony gestured at her with a hoof. “You’re safe in here, I promise.”

The changeling glanced down at one of Shower’s lilac forelegs. “Not really. Why, you want me to?”

Yes, you look and sound like my co-worker is possessed and it’s creeping me out. “Oh no, honey, you’re okay.”

“Okay...” said the changeling, sounding uncertain.

...Right, she’s not very chatty. Guess I should probably pick up the slack.

“So, let's cut to the chase,” Lemony said, her nerves returning. “How exactly do changelings, I guess, feed?”

The changeling gave her an odd look with Shower’s face. “We can take from emotions that are freely given, and we can extract them if not.”

Okay, I’m going to ignore that second part, she thought. Shower had ruled that option out, for which he was grateful. “‘Freely given’ emotions, how does that work?”

She shuffled her wings, seemingly choosing her words. “If you love, if you feel love, and that love is directed at a changeling, then it is freely offered. Or any strong positive emotion, but love is the strongest.”

Lemony took a steadying breath. “Alright then, here goes…” Closing her eyes, she focused inwards, drawing on positive thoughts and happy memories; her parents, growing up in the countryside. Her childhood friends. Moving to Canterlot for college, going to parties and get-togethers and cafes with her friends from the archaeology course. Meeting the Princesses in person last year. Sky, offering her a job.

Thinking back over her experiences, she brought her happiest memories to the surface and let them wash over her. Even the simple things in life; watching butterflies on azeleas, the neighbour’s foals playing, the taste of spaghetti carbonara….

She was interrupted by a dry bark of a laugh. “Really?” Cracking open her eyes, she glared at the unhappy-looking pegasus. “I thought you were here for questions. You are afraid. You have nothing to offer. Go away.” Despite the words, there was no force or harshness in her voice, as if she were stating facts.

“Yeah?” Lemony snapped back, feeling insulted for her effort. “Well, you want to eat? I-I’m it. If you wouldn’t mind working with me on this it’d be a great help.” She felt flustered all of a sudden.

The changeling’s expression slowly loosened, becoming strangely flat. Shower’s familiar eyes bored into her own in an uncomfortably steady way. She felt the urge to fidget, but couldn’t help standing stock still.

Um…

The changeling softly padded over to the unicorn, carefully maintaining eye contact. Lemony froze, heart in her throat. The creature disguised as her co-worker was acting uncannily unlike a pony, head hunched forward and shoulder blades visible through her withers as she walked. The unicorn’s breath caught as instinct screamed at her.

She couldn’t move a muscle, not even when the changeling closed to within touching distance. She felt a muzzle press lightly against her neck, behind her ear. The breath made her skin crawl.

Canterlot. Running. The screaming. Black. Green.

Sharp white.

She felt the pressure lessen, but she didn’t dare move as she felt the creature move past her. Movement, behind her. On her other side. Pressure, again, on her exposed neck. A wolf, contemplating its prey.

And then it passed, and Light Shower stepping back into her field of vision. Her head was held upright, the way a pony would, a slight questioning look in her eye. She stopped, standing just a little too close.

Lemony’s limbs hurt from being held so tense. She felt her muscles shake as she loosened them.

“You’re serious,” said the changeling. It wasn’t a question. She chewed the inside of her mouth, then nodded. “…Alright then.”

“…Wh-what was that?”

The changeling smiled lightly, almost apologetic. “That was the reason why we two cannot co-exist. You decided I was a threat.” She cocked her head. “Did I bite you? No. Am I going to bite you? No. But your pony brain says I will. You can’t get away from that.” She sniffed, muttering, “That’s why changelings should be secret.”

Lemony glanced dizzily down at her hooves, focusing on remaining standing. She realised she was breathing irregularly. I should… do something, about that.

“…Sorry.” With a side glance, the changeling turned and retreated to the bed. She sat down beside it, resting her chin on the mattress.

Lemony sat, her breathing once more under control. Her eyes narrowed as she steeled herself. “I… I want to see what you look like,” she said, just about keeping her voice steady.

The changeling gave her another odd look. “You’re persistent.”

“Because you’re wrong.”

She made no move to respond, so Lemony continued. “What do you know about griffons?”

The changeling shrugged dispassionately. “Their talons are sharp, their wings are swift. Were we their enemies as we are yours, we would be dead long since.”

“Griffons once hunted ponies, for food. Thousands of years ago.”

“So?”

“So, I work with one. His name’s Gurney. He’s nice.”

Scowling, the changeling turned away again. She was silent for several seconds before responding. “Griffons can eat other things,” she muttered. Her scowl intensified for a moment, then she huffed and lifted her head. She gave Lemony a sharp, uncomfortable look.

“…Thanks.”

The unicorn blinked. “Huh?”

“For staying. …For trying.”

Lemony managed a weak smile. “Uh, sure.”

There was a flash of green flame, and Light Shower was gone. Sitting in her place was one of the insectoid creatures from the Invasion. Large, pupil-less teal eyes seemed to bore into her soul.

“O-Oh… goodness…” Despite understanding what had happened, she found it difficult to reconcile what she was seeing with the pony she had been talking to.

The creature cocked its head, then with another flash of green it had vanished, replaced this time with a pony Lemony had never seen before; an olive pegasus mare with a forest-green mane and golden eyes.

“Sorry,” she said, absently. Her voice was a little higher, a little softer than Shower’s was. She winced and drew a sharp breath, rubbing the side of her head. “You should probably go, you’re not going to get past this.”

Lemony recollected herself. “No!” she said, feeling affronted. She found it easier now she wasn’t looking at Shower being controlled like a marionette, now she wasn’t looking at… “I’m not just going to, you know, leave, not when you need help. I’m here for a reason, tell me what you need me to do.”

The new pegasus knitted her eyebrows, then stood and stepped forward, leaving a comfortable space between them. “Alright… First off, you’re still afraid. You need to stop that, control your feelings or you’ll starve me out.”

“Okay… How do I do that?”

“Don’t ask me,” the pegasus shrugged. “They’re your emotions, I just do this end.”

Okay… okay… She tried to push aside thoughts of the changeling and just focus on what was in front of her. An ordinary pegasus… I’ve never met her before, but, I guess, she looks like she’d be pleasant to talk with…

It was difficult to push away thoughts without thinking about them, but after a while she had started to feel less anxious.

“Okay, okay, I think I’ve got a handle on it.”

The pegasus nodded. “Good. Next, you have to like me.” She smirked sarcastically. “Good luck with that.”

Uhh… Oh…

“It’s no good, what you were doing before,” the pegasus continued dryly. “You can’t just drudge up happy feelings and, what, throw them at me. If you don’t feel the emotions about me, then they’re useless.” She turned and strode back to the bed. “And you know what I am so there’s no point in continuing.” Delicately, she climbed up onto the bed and lay down, facing the wall.

“…Thanks for trying though,” she mumbled into the pillow.

To see the creature that had not long ago terrified her act like this was like a whiplash to Lemony. Trotting over, she sat down beside the bed. Disjointed memories came to her of comforting her college roommate after a bad date.

“Hey,” she said gently. “I’m not gonna just give up, okay? We’ll… we’ll figure something out.”

The pegasus snorted. “Being comforted by a pony…” She paused, then muttered, “Pity.”

“…What is?”

She twisted her head round to glare Lemony in the eye. “You. You’re sending me pity. It’s gross.”

“Oh… uhh, sorry about that.”

Returning to face the wall, she didn’t respond. The two lapsed into silence. Lemony wanted to say something, something that could make things better, but she couldn’t think of anything. She couldn’t think of what to do. It wasn’t like she could force an emotion, to force herself to like someone she didn’t know. Someone who frightened the living daylights out of her. Is that it, should I go?

The pegasus sighed suddenly, breaking the silence. “I’m sick of this,” she muttered.

“Hmm?”

She took a while to respond. “Going hungry. Having to rely on stealing energy, just to stay alive. …Being hunted.” Her voice had developed a croak to it. “I know… I know you can’t change what you are. It’s just…”

She lapsed into silence. Lemony patiently waited.

“…It’s just that… You ponies have it so much easier. You can’t help that, but you do…” She drew a shaky breath. “I hate what I am. I hate that I was hatched a changeling. …Is that bad?”

Uh, yeah, it kinda is…

…Hatched…?

The pegasus sniffled. “…Hive sends me out to die… I guess, I wish I were one of you. That I were a pony. That I could just… live.”

“Well, you know… right now, you kind of are one,” Lemony offered with a small smile.

“But I know that I’m not. I have to lie. All the time. I was a good Infiltrator, but it’s all the time, just to get food…” The pegasus shifted on the bed. “Guards are good with lies,” she muttered darkly. “…Always know…”

“I guess we could give you some retcon,” Lemony joked, mostly to herself. “Then you’d forget you were ever a changeling.”

The pegasus stopped moving.

…Yeah, maybe that was over the line. Be serious, Lem.

She twisted on the bed to lie on her belly so she could see the unicorn beside her. “What?”

“Oh, uhh, sorry. It was a bad joke.”

“…”

“I mean…” she rubbed the back of her head. “Sorry, I kind of make jokes when I don’t know what to say. I mean, I get nervous, and I-”

“No, what is retcon?”

“Oh, right.” Come on, nopony on the outside knows what it is. “It’s an amnesiac.” She saw the pegasus’ blank expression. “It’s like, a memory wipe drug. We make it here.”

“Memory wipe?”

Lemony nodded reluctantly. “Like I say, bad joke.”

The pegasus drew a slow breath.

“…How strong?”

Testimonial – Lemony Meringue

“Explain.”

Lemony glanced nervously at the changeling, still in the guise of a green pegasus. Her expression was difficult to read, though she seemed anxious, judging by her jittery wings. Being as they were seated together in the boardroom opposite a stone-faced Sky, Lemony could empathise.

Sky’s horn had been glowing a light meadow-green since when they had walked in, which Lemony assumed was the source of the very subtle buzzing she could hear in the background. She'd had to work to convince Sky to even talk with their guest. Next to Sky sat Shower, who hadn’t said a word since they had started, her brow furrowed.

She couldn’t imagine what the changeling beside her was feeling.

“I want a trade,” the changeling stated. Her jaw was set, but her ears were flat against her head. “Lemons says you have a memory wipe drug. I want that. In return, I will tell you anything you want to know.”

“Why?” asked Sky simply, flicking an ear. Her expression didn’t change.

“Fresh start.” The changeling glanced down at the table. “I have nothing else, nothing to go back to.”

Sky paused for a few moments, before responding in a neutral tone. “What makes you think you have anything we’d be interested in?”

The changeling cocked her head. “Why are you keeping me here? Why are you trying to keep me alive? I know you haven’t captured any changelings since the invasion. You didn’t even capture me. You need me.” Lemony noticed that, despite the changeling’s steady voice, she had become jittery as she spoke. “You want to learn about those who prey on your kind? Promise you’ll help me, and I’ll comply.”

Sky regarded her coolly. “And if we decline?”

The changeling reclined back on her cushion, her face a show of cockiness. “Then I will starve within a week.”

Lemony was surprised to see Sky develop a small smile in contrast to her cold eyes. The changeling visibly bristled.

“You’re quick to turn your back on your people.”

The changeling scowled and leaned forward. “I was an Infiltrator,” she said, her voice a harsh whisper. “I collected love to feed the entire hive. I performed my purpose and I did it well. What did they do for me? Stage a stupid invasion, reveal our existence and make my job impossible.” She snarled. “Queen commands we don’t come back until we collect enough to share. Two months, pony, and I have been living off scraps. Compliments, gratitude, concern, pity,” she spat the last word. “I owe Hive nothing.”

“You aren’t concerned by the fate of your Hive?”

“It doesn’t matter. Hive is not going to survive. Not without Infiltrators. Not now you know we exist. Worry is unhelpful. Besides,” she sneered, “I became a traitor the moment I spoke to your Guard. They didn’t welcome me back before, certainly won’t now.”

The unicorn slowly nodded. “Alright then. Name your terms.”

The changeling blinked in surprise. “Y-you agree?”

Sky’s gaze hardened. “No. Name your terms.”

“I want your memory drug. You remove every memory from my head, make me forget what I am, what I’ve done. Everything. You make me believe I am a pony, tell me I have memory loss. No memories. You make me believe, and then you put me somewhere you call normal, and you let me live.” She nodded curtly. “That is what I want.”

“You want to forget everything you know?”

The changeling nodded. “She that would keep a secret must keep it secret that she hath a secret to keep.”

“And in return?” asked Sky, cocking an eyebrow.

“You want to know about changelings? Name it.”

Smirking, Sky leaned forward. “What is your name?”

The changeling scowled. “Not that. If the Hive finds out that you know a changeling’s name, they’ll know they have a traitor, and they’ll know who. Anything else, but not the name. Please.”

Sky snorted, amused. “Alright, I can appreciate that.” She sat back, not dropping eye contact. “Shower, what are you thinking?”

Shower glanced up, caught off guard. “Oh… How is she going to get sustenance?” She turned to face the false pegasus. “I mean, if you’ve been having a hard time as it is, how do you expect to do any better without even knowing how you’re supposed to get food? Just forgetting doesn’t change what you are.”

“If emotions are offered freely, I can feed on them passively. That’s easy, just happens, instinct. Hard bit is finding ponies to offer them.” Her expression dropped. “Ponies are very suspicious of newcomers, and can’t take place of a real pony anymore. Couples, friends have passwords now. ‘Answer this question and prove you’re not a changeling’, buzz off. They don’t even need suspicion, they do it for fun. Never used to be like that…”

Lemony cleared her throat, shrinking as everyone looked at her. “Um, well, I’ve been thinking; couldn’t we set her up somewhere quiet and friendly? I mean, Rose, Bonnie and Sparkler all live pretty near to each other, they could vouch for her and help get her settled. Nopony would suspect her of being a changeling when three of their neighbours can say she isn’t, and she would fit right in. Or, y’know, something like that…” She felt herself blush. “I mean, maybe Canterlot’s not the best place, but I’d help out if you wanted to go there.”

She had mostly been addressing Sky, but she noticed the changeling giving her a peculiar look by the time she’d finished. Lemony suppressed a shudder.

“If you go through with this, there’s no way back.” Sky had a serious glint in her eyes. “It’s not like everything is safely locked away in some dark alcove in your mind, such that if you hear about changelings all your memories will return. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. Do you understand that?”

The changeling opened her mouth to say something, but instead just nodded slowly.

“Good. Second, while Compound B67 is made for the excision of long-term memories, it has never been used for something as comprehensive as what you’re asking. Hypothetically it’s possible,” she raised her voice to forestall interruption, “but I cannot guarantee it will work exactly as you intend. You may retain some memories, or you may lose too much. We will do everything we can to mitigate these, but do you accept this risk?”

She nodded vigorously. “Yes, yes.”

Sky leaned back, chewing the inside of her cheek, her dark eyes narrowed. “I’m not happy with this. You’re right, we haven’t managed to question any changelings before now. The very existence of your kind being kept such a secret for so long concerns me.” The changeling wrinkled her nose, but said nothing. “We know so little about you, we didn’t even know you existed until the Wedding, and we weren’t ready.” Her scowl intensified. “I wasn’t ready. I tendered my resignation after that mess. I’m only still here because the Princess refused me.

“And then you show up.” Her voice became quiet, and as cold as a blizzard. “I am terrified of you, you know. Can you tell?” The changeling shook her head dumbly. “Not of what you can do to me. I couldn’t care. No; you came to us, your enemies, becoming apparently an outcast from your kin, because you were desperate. What terrifies me, is how desperate your fellows might also be; is how many of them might be forced to make the same choice. If, as you say, your hive is doomed, where then will they go? I needn’t tell you we are ill prepared to support a hive’s-worth of starving creatures that prey upon our emotions. Not when we’re still trying to figure out how to feed one. Do you understand?”

The changeling’s expression had gone slack, staring wide-eyed into the distance.

“That was concerning to consider, I admit,” continued a frosty Sky. “But we had you. We had a chance; to learn from you, to learn of your kind. To know more about how you work, so we won’t be caught off-guard when, when they come knocking.

“And you want to erase all of that so you can run away and hide?

The room fell into a deathly silence. The changeling looked as if she had been struck. Other than her twitching eyes, she wasn’t moving, Lemony couldn’t even tell if she was breathing.

And then Sky blinked, and the icy air seemed to recede. The light green aura around her horn flickered out.

“Alright then, here’s my proposal,” she began, once again in her neutral tone. The changeling’s ears flicked. “You will remain here for a minimum of fourteen days, during which you will answer any questions and assent to any inquiries posed to you. You may be retained here for longer as needed. After this time, you will be given a dose of B67, and we will do everything we can to integrate you into society as an amnesiac.” She raised a brow. “Sound fair?”

The changeling nodded gingerly.

“Excellent,” proclaimed Sky, getting to her hooves.

“Wait! …What do you … I mean, if you find other changelings, or… uhh…” She clammed up.

Sky regarded her with an inscrutable expression. “You want to know our intent with your kind?”

“Just… don’t hurt them. Please. They’re just desperate. We all are…”

“We’re trying to keep you alive, aren’t we?” she interrupted before the changeling could respond. “Yes, I know, you have something we want. Doesn’t matter. Point is, we much prefer the peaceful option. As it is, the freedom of choice lies with the other party,” she stated slowly. “I’ll agree, but no promises.”

Frowning, the changeling nodded again.

“Speaking of,” she turned to Shower, “contingent on your volunteers’ agreement, I’m authorising you to use whatever method you see fit to get energy into our guest, understood?”

Shower looked surprised. “You serious?”

Sky shrugged, turning and leaving without another word. Shower shot a look at Lemony, who responded with a bewildered smirk.

The changeling glanced between the two of them in turn. “What was all that?”

Lemony couldn’t help but laugh. “Oh, don’t let Sky get to you. She’s a bit... like that.”

Shower’s mouth quirked with amusement. “She’s not exactly the most personable of ponies. She doesn’t really understand how to talk like normal.”

The changeling eyed the closed door. “Correct.” She rubbed the side of her head. “What was that buzzing?”

Shower frowned. “Huh?”

“Probably just the lights,” reassured Lemony. I think Sky wanted to make sure you were telling the truth.

The changeling’s eyes flitted to the light in the ceiling briefly, then turned to shoot the pegasus a quizzical look. “What was the thing about the contingent author thing? She speaks fast.”

Shower rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. “Yeah, I think we should stick with current plan for now. Uhh, how did it go, Lems?”

Why is this so awkward to talk about? “Umm, well, no dice just yet, but I’ve learned a bit more about how changelings, y’know, eat, so… I think maybe keep trying, right?” she said in a small voice.

Shower’s eyes darted momentarily to the disguised mare opposite her. “We’ll do a full debrief later, but is there anything you want to bring up now?”

“Well…” she turned her head to the changeling, who was looking back with a puzzled expression. “Apparently it’s no good to just bring up happy thoughts; the positive emotions have to be about her.”

The changeling nodded seriously. “Yes, Lemons was scared. She doesn’t like me.”

“Wha-… I like you!”

The changeling looked confused. “No… that’s incorrect,” she stated, frowning.

“Huh, right.” Shower stood up from the table. “I’ll go share that with the others, thanks Lem-” she smirked, “Lemons.”

“Hey!”

She chuckled. “I’ve got to go, d’you mind showing our friend back to her room?”

“Oh, yeah, sure.”

“Thanks, later.”

As Shower left, Lemony noticed the pair of eyes boring a hole into the side of her head. “…What is it?”

“What is what?”

“You’re staring.”

The changeling averted her gaze, glancing around the empty boardroom. “You’re the most interesting thing in the room.”

Lemony snorted. “Oh, you flatter me,” she said with a wave of a hoof in mock-appreciation.

“No I didn’t,” the changeling scrunched her nose.

“Um, that was a joke.”

“…You’re confusing me.”

Lemony suppressed a sigh. She’s smart, but some things keep going over her head. Maybe I should stick to being more literal and direct?

“So hey, what do you like to do in your spare time?”

“Spare time?” She frowned, looking away to the side. “I’m not… I guess, I enjoy it when it’s quiet.”

“Okay. But I mean, any hobbies?”

“No, none of those. Can I look at you again?”

Lemony blinked, realising the changeling was pointedly looking anywhere but at her on purpose. “Oh, uhh, sure.”

She’s not making this easy… Maybe I’m approaching this too much like she’s a pony.

“Hey, your umm, your disguise magic is pretty cool.” She couldn’t tell if the changeling was giving her a funny look, or if that was a neutral ‘keep going’ expression. “Can you transform into anything?” Probably not, but maybe I can get her to respond.

“Uhh, no. Only into ponies, though too big a difference in mass can be a problem. I couldn’t be your Princess, example.”

That was better! “Ooh, could you maybe, turn into me?”

The changeling winced. “Ugh, not now.” She rubbed the side of her head. “I’m really low on energy. Hurts when I use magic, really rather not.” She looked at Lemony with tired eyes. “Should not you be taking me back to the room? I’d like to rest.”

“Oh, right, sure. Come on then.” Lemony stood, watching as the changeling slowly rose to her hooves. She wasn’t unsteady per se, but the unicorn noticed a definite hesitation in her movements, her head drooping.

…Screw it.

Lemony stepped alongside the false pegasus with a small smile. “Hey, I’m here if you need me, okay?”

The changeling froze up for a moment, but then surprised Lemony by leaning against her side as she walked. “…Thanks…”

Lemony’s smile grew. Not so different from us after all.

She had been terrified earlier, wondering what in the world she was doing volunteering to be food for a changeling, but all that seemed so long ago. The more she talked with the faux pony, the more of a pony she could see, even beyond the equine exterior.

A lost creature, with nowhere else to turn and no one else to ask for help. Hungry, and alone, and she had come to her for help. A feeling of warmth filled Lemony’s heart. Purpose.

I’ll help you. We’ll get you through this. I promise.

The weight on her side fell away, and she stopped, glancing concerned at the changeling behind her.

The changeling, who was standing stock still, eyes wide and staring straight ahead, limbs tensed as if she were trying not to move.

“Um, you okay?” She was suddenly concerned something was seriously wrong.

A moment of stillness. Then the changeling staggered back, as if she were pulling on a rope that suddenly went slack. “…W-what was that…?” she breathed.

“I don’t… know? Oh goodness, are you okay?”

She filled her lungs with air, breathing deeply, seemingly standing taller. Her eyes, wolf-like in their ferocity, met Lemony’s, who took a half-step back.

Ooh-kay, and she’s in my personal space again.

“Was it the touching? What was it?” The changeling demanded.

Lemony craned her head back, her ears going flat. “I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

The green mare sniffed the air around the unicorn’s face, and her head drooped. “Lost it…” Her expression became somewhat more timid all of a sudden. “You were sending me energy. I’m…” She faltered, glancing repeatedly between the unicorn in front of her, and somewhere off in the distance. “You know what I am, but you…”

She shook her head lightly. “…Thank you.”

Lemony stammered. “Y-youu… you were getting energy… from me?”

She nodded. “Just for a moment.”

Fleetingly Lemony felt disturbed, like something icy down her spine. She couldn’t help it, the idea of having been fed upon, even if she hadn’t noticed it. But the sensation vanished as she considered the creature before her; not a predator, but a mare, suddenly shy and grateful.

She couldn’t imagine being so hungry that she would be willing to abandon her home and family, but she could help somepony who was.

The idea still creeped her out, but the notion that she had lent the starving changeling some of her energy filled her with joy, relieved that she would be able to help, that she could share the food she had in abundance. A sensation of happiness welled inside of her.

“Ack!” Wide-eyed and wings flailing, the changeling fell over backwards.

Testimonial – Lemony Meringue

She could tell the changeling wasn’t calm. The occasional twitch of an eyelid when someone spoke too loudly, the flicking of an ear or fidgeting of her wings; over the past fortnight of being poked and prodded and pressed for answers to a cavalcade of questions, Lemony had started to pick up on some of the changeling’s body language, distinct but not entirely unfamiliar. This was especially so nearer the end of a day, but even though the changeling had tried to remain aloof, her behaviour had slowly… changed around the pink unicorn. Lemony couldn’t quite place it, but it seemed like her charge had become more comfortable around ponies. Or at least, around her.

It must be a very hard instinct to break.

Still, the changeling had only very rarely relinquished her disguise, something Lemony didn’t want to question. She had become somewhat more comfortable being in proximity, but the changeling’s natural form still creeped her out. One time, she had tried to convince the changeling to drop the disguise for a while so she could try to get used to seeing it, but she had been met with a staunch refusal.

It was difficult to align the image of the olive-green pegasus with her messy forest-green mane and tail, the mark of a tree on her flank, with the thought of those terrible creatures that had attacked Canterlot. Although she had hoped to get over her fear, she sometimes wondered if this visual disconnect was the reason she had been able to come to like the changeling enough to be able to keep her alive.

She had been receiving energy from Lemony during the two weeks, mostly in small amounts, but enough to see a small improvement in behaviour. She had become less lethargic, and while not very verbose, she wasn’t quite so short and brusque in her responses. She was still hungry, and sometimes admitted as much when asked, but the desperate spark in her eyes had dwindled; other than behaviour, that was the only visual cue Lemony could discern through the disguise, as the green pegasus never looked overly thin or gaunt. She proclaimed herself content, and wasn’t shy to let Lemony know of her gratitude. This came as a great relief to everypony involved, not least Lemony, who had been getting concerned she would need to ask Shower about the drastic measures Sky had authorised.

However, Lemony had started to feel the effects of the passive feeding during the second day. It had started with headaches, small at first, as if she hadn’t been drinking enough fluids. It took her a while to realise she had begun to have problems with maintaining attention of things. She caught herself staring off into the distance while someone was talking to her more than once. Coffee just made her jittery. Then the exhaustion set deep into her bones. Shower sent her home early on the fifth day, something she could barely recall when she awoke late-afternoon on the next day. The day-off helped immensely, but the changeling had become slightly withdrawn in the interim, and clingy upon her return.

But she kept at it, no matter how draining it was, no matter how creepy and invasive it felt to be fed upon (a thought she was adamant not to dwell on). The changeling was difficult to get along with, and even though the other volunteers had tried to build a rapport, Lemony was forced to shoulder her burden alone. In fact, the only other person who seemed to get along was Gurney. She did however greatly appreciate the flowers and card signed by Roseluck and Bon Bon, given to her before they took their time off. Shower had also been very supportive, checking in on her daily to make sure she was well and happy to continue. Shower often looked conflicted, as if she had more to say. After most of her co-workers had been given a leave of absence, so as not to colour their impressions of the soon-to-be amnesiac, Lemony found herself enjoying her time talking with the ex-guard.

She smiled at the faux pegasus, receiving in return the gentle narrowing of golden eyes that she interpreted as a small smile.

During their time together the changeling had become, Lemony guessed, slightly possessive of her. She thought she could understand why, even though it made her feel weirdly gross inside to be someone’s personal buffet. The changeling seemed happy to ask her questions and just listen to her talk about herself. However, whenever Lemony asked about her in turn, often innocuous questions about her personality, she would usually divert. Having an inkling of why this was the case, Lemony wouldn’t press the issue.

It was because of this that she had no idea what was going through the changeling’s head, sitting bolt upright atop her bed.

What must it feel like to know that everything that makes you you was about to be erased?

Today was the day that she would die, and a new pony would take her place.

Though she couldn’t bring it up, the thought that the strange pony she had been bonding with for the past two weeks would soon no longer exist upset Lemony in ways she couldn’t articulate.

The two of them jumped as the door opened. Shower stepped in, followed by Gurney and finally Sky, who was levitating a tiny wooden box.

The box was proffered to the changeling without ceremony. She picked it out of the air with a hoof, eyeing it gingerly. “Is this it?”

“Yes,” Sky nodded. “Retcon. Just enough to wipe your mind, by my reckoning.”

She opened the lid and looked inside at the single white pill at the bottom. “I thought it was going to be an injection. Especially after getting to know Mr Needles.” She nodded at Gurney, who grinned to himself.

Shower looked uneasy. “You still sure about this?”

The changeling quickly nodded. “I’ve thought about this, yes.” She sighed, closing the little box. “So, what happens?”

“There’s a sedative in the compound, it’ll knock you right out. You won’t feel a thing, just like falling asleep,” explained Gurney. “Tomorrow you’ll wake up with no memories, a completely blank slate. Well, retcon doesn’t touch the speech centres of the brain, but everything else…” he made a ‘poof’ sound and gestured with his talons.

“It’ll be as if there never was a you,” said Shower. “A person is defined by their memories, the sum of their experiences. Everything that makes you who you are will cease to exist.

Despite the tone in Shower’s voice, the changeling nodded. “Good.” She glared at Sky. “And then?”

Sky didn’t flinch under her look. “Once you have acclimated to your new situation, you will be placed in a small town in close proximity to a number of Institute employees, who will assist in your societal integration. You will be monitored periodically for progress. We estimate that with a cordial relationship with at minimum four ponies will be enough to allow you passively gather sufficient energy without drawing attention, which should be simple where we’re sending you.” She quirked an eyebrow. “After that is up to you.”

“Are you absolutely sure you’re happy with your form, by the way?” asked Lemomy.

The changeling glanced down. “Why, what’s wrong with it?”

“Oh, nothing’s wrong with it! It’s just, if it’s the form you’re going to have, you really should make sure you’re happy with it.”

She shook her head. “Normal ponies don’t get to decide what they look like. They get what they get.” She raised an olive forelimb. “This will do.”

“Very well then,” said Sky. “…Good luck.” An odd expression passed her face, just for a moment. “Lemony, my office when you’re free, please.” Without waiting for a reply, she turned and left, closing the door shut.

The changeling glanced down at the box, resting a hoof on the top. “I should say; thank you.” She looked up. “All of you. For doing this for me. For listening, for trying to help.” Her eyes met Lemony’s. “For keeping me alive. You’re everything the Queen said you would not be. I hope…” She paused, then shook her head.

Lemony smiled, feeling her eyes begin to water. She opened her mouth to reply-

“Don’t remember me,” said the changeling, swiftly popping open the lid of the box, holding it up to her mouth and swallowing the pill.

Lemony heard sounds of surprise. She felt her heart in her throat as the changeling grimaced, eyes closed tight, and slumped against her. “Oh goodness, oh goodness...” She held the hyperventilating changeling with a foreleg.

It has happened too fast. There were things she wanted to say. She had agonised on how to give her a proper send off.

Gurney was by her side. He was speaking quickly. A talon flashed by her vision, helping support the changeling’s head. Her golden eyes were pinpricks, unfocused as they darted around the room.

A lilac wing rested on Lemony’s back. She held the olive pegasus close, feeling as her breathing slowed.

“Alright now, take it easy...”