• Published 21st Nov 2020
  • 11,028 Views, 1,881 Comments

The One True King - JDPrime22



Can Equestria’s greatest heroes coexist with these mythical and majestic beasts… or will they have to accept that their rule has come to an end? For the rule of the one true king, Godzilla, has returned.

  • ...
13
 1,881
 11,028

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21 – Peak

Chapter 21

“You have your fear, which might become reality; and you have Godzilla, which is reality.”

Lt. Hideto Ogata

Foal Mountain, Equestria

Outpost Peak

Night was soon to fall upon Equestria. All was peaceful and still save for the distant storm clouds enlightening the darkness with its unrelenting lightning strikes. Yellow coursed across the heavens, thunder echoing several miles away. But in the realm of the mountainous regions of eastern Equestria, all was still. All was peaceful.

And the Spirit of Chaos severed that peace with his presence alone, appearing through the air itself as his body slithered into existence by a mere flash of light. His miniature wings beat slowly to keep him airborne, though he really didn’t need their help. He levitated by chaos magic alone.

Unfurling his body fully, Discord enlarged his eye to form a jutted spyglass, peaking to the world and minor civilization several hundred feet beneath him. The village of Hollow Shades was settling in for the long night of oncoming storms. A shroud of trees and towering peaks of rock surrounded the secluded village, with the rocks only growing taller and taller until…

The peak emerged, and Foal Mountain came into view from the frosty mists.

Great forests surrounded the base of the mountain, with a cluster of smaller mountain ranges pockmarked around the area. A dark chasm was embedded between the mountain ranges surrounding Foal Mountain, but the peak towered above all else. Foal Mountain dominated the area and demanded awe and admiration for its mere presence alone. It was an impressive display of nature, Discord had to agree. A perfect place to hide a secret facility.

A perfect place to hide a monster.

Slamming his eye back into his socket, Discord soared across the twilight skies with a valiant and adventurous smirk glowing on his features. He reached the mountainside in no time, scanning the surface until he could feel the sudden surge in dark forces whispering in the wind. It coated his skin like a shadow, an unnerving chill racing across his body and making it quiver like a wet noodle. Discord even made the appropriate sounds, moments before locating the source of the dark presence.

There it was. A dark crystal jagged and unruly, jutting out from the mountain’s surface to bask in the fading light of Twilight’s sun. How cute, Discord thought as he laid on the slope of the mountain lazily and stared at it, head resting in his talon. It was trying to bud. Sombra would have been so proud of the little tyke.

And with a nonchalant flick of his paw, Discord tapped the crystal and immediately cracked it, his chaos magic infecting and effectively shattering the dark rock. With a victorious smile gracing his lips, Discord vaporized into mist and slithered within the cracks left behind.

Just like that, he was inside the mountain, following the infection and entering bright lights. The rock became metal. The natural twilight became light bulbs. The mountain was hollowed and Outpost Peak was its skeleton. As the mere vapor that he was, Discord hovered and dissipated all throughout the facility, his misty eyes scanning every conceivable centimeter, corner, edge, and nook and cranny he could physically see.

Outpost Peak was a mildly impressive sight, Discord had to admit. The rooms only got larger as tight catwalks led to even greater chambers. The ceilings reached nothing but darkness as a countless display of scientific machinery lay organized and scattered throughout the floor, doing nothing more than gathering dust from the ages. A few stations were actually active, with T.I.T.A.N. scientists and agents residing next to several consoles.

They appeared startled in some way after rereading the scrolls displayed upon their discussion tables. Discord hovered over them in his invisible form, eyes peeking onto the parchments. They asked questions with no answers, the scientists all ushering one another to the beast’s resting chamber to view its current status. Must have gotten the recent update from Celestia, Discord thought, and he watched as they exited the laboratories to trot their way to the observation deck. Discord considered joining them to get a look at this so-called “high-level threat”, but he stopped.

Seeing was easy. Sidetracking was especially easier for him.

Sensing the magic was harder, but it was there. Hovering, waiting, resting in the air. Despite his greater curiosities, he followed the stench of dark magic and tracked it.

Slipping past the stationed T.I.T.A.N. agents, Discord returned into the room of which he had originally entered. From the crystal infection he had destroyed, Discord followed the path where the crystal was birthed. It stemmed like a black vein within the rock, and in no time and through several dozen feet of solid earth, Discord had reached a pocket of air once again.

He materialized into a full flesh and blood version of himself and entered the heart of the dark crystal infection, where T.I.T.A.N. would have never been able to reach. Discord knew that for a fact, because where he was was undetectable by mere magic alone. No machine of science or act of a unicorn’s spell could deduce where the hollow chamber within the mountain was located. Discord was the only one who could. Discord was the only being who could have sensed the darker forces festering within the chaos.

There, he witnessed not just a bud, not just a little tyke, but an extended family tree of crystals severing and infecting the inner mountain caves. Their black surfaces were practically boiling with mists of purple and green within the gems, countless hives growing bigger, stronger, and deeper by the minute. There was no doubting it any longer. Sombra’s crystals were ready to blow.

Sneering at that, Discord snapped his talons and brought forth five different telephones, each from a bygone era. Calling into each one, Discord announced, “Attention, Discords 2-6. This is Discord 1, the original and arguably the most handsome, calling in to hear any updates. Report in!”

Just made it to Outpost Mirage, Discord!” the second Discord responded.

Outpost Castle is in my sight! I’ll be there within the second!” the third Discord said.

Clearing out Outpost Dune now, Discord!” the fourth Discord declared.

Outpost Boneyard is practically deserted! I’m shocked a monster would stay here with such little supervision!” the fifth Discord noted.

Outpost Woodland is found! Ready to cleanse some crystal when you are, Discord!” the sixth and last Discord finalized.

“Looks like fourthy started without us!” Discord said, shaking his finger. “Your granola will be only half-full when we get back. Nonetheless, let’s get to some cracking, boys!”

They all cheered into their telephones before Discord materialized them out of existence with a snap of his talons. With the receivers out of his vision, Discord got to work on the task at hand, claw, and paw. His fingers met and he gave an astounding crack of his knuckles.

His knuckles morphed into two pointing fingers, each hand resembling a short firearm. With childish “bangs” escaping his lips, Discord proceeded to fire off little spurts of chaos magic in various directions. Each bolt struck and shattered whatever crystal Discord saw. From the walls to the corners, from the ceilings to the floors, nothing was hidden from Discord’s sight, especially when the draconequus mutated to allow himself several dozen arms with hands and an extra twenty eyes to catch every last crystal.

To his own surprise, the chamber was cleared in a matter of seconds. Discord stood so alone within the empty cavern, with nothing but dead, broken crystals surrounding his feet. Noting such, Discord gave the room one last spinning turn before his arms and eyes dissipated into butterflies. He took in a deep, heaving whiff through his nostrils, tasting the magic in the air and sampling it for several seconds.

Not all the mountain was cleared after all. There remained but a small cluster in the distance, a mere crystal or two and then it was finished! It turned out to be easier than he thought, and with such little use of chaos magic to boot! Turning towards the source of the final remnants, Discord couldn’t help himself and actually skipped with a joyous upbeat bouncing in his body, humming between his lips. In no time, he would be free of Sombra’s presence guilting him any further. He would be back with Fluttershy and his friends and bask in their thankfulness.

The crystals tried to hide in the shadows. They stood before him like two towers crossed over one another, embedded within the mountain wall. Discord scoffed at it, rolling his neck and preparing himself for two final shots from his chaotic fingers. He believed it was easy, way too easy. He believed he was nearly finished.

And then he heard it.

Theeerrreee yooouuu aaarrreee

The tips of Discord’s fingers deflated cartoonishly, as did his smile wilt into a limp string of skin.

His eyes burst open. His heart stopped beating, wondering why his mind was keeping things halted. But even the heart went without an answer, for Discord’s mind was rattled to a standstill. His skin was icy cold and his expression displayed every inch of that chill. His mind heard the voice within the darkness and he still, somehow still, could not comprehend it. So, it stopped. His mind stopped. His body froze. His heart yielded.

The crystals he was supposed to destroy sank beneath the rock. The two towers sank into the mountain itself, unveiling an entryway into a cavern of such perpetual darkness that it sucked in every shred and ounce of light from Discord’s lingering chaos magic. It sucked it in like a large inhale of air, an inhale that did not stop until Discord finally breathed.

And from the sound of the draconequus’ breath, the dark cavern was silenced. All was quiet deep within the mountain.

Wind somehow was born. It flowed from the gaping mouth of the cave and past Discord’s ears, making them twitch. Not wind. Whispers. Breaths. A haunting blue glow began to radiate deep from within the shadows. Flashes of green and purple bursts of light popped like strikes of lightning, shrieking as they shot out and struck the surfaces of the floors, walls, and ceilings. A red mist trailed the ground like serpents from the chamber’s mouth, beckoning the lone, beating heart into its embrace.

But Discord would not move. He would not enter into the cave whose mouth rivaled the peak of the mountain itself. He was frozen on the spot, trapped by his own conflicting will and mind that simply refused to believe what he had just heard. The voice could not have been real. It simply had to be false to make any sort of sense.

But what fun was there in making sense?

Even his own thoughts and words betrayed him, so much so that Discord could not even trust his own mind at the moment. But then the voice returned and made itself real. The voiced echoed from the darkness and bounced off the walls, every decibel thundering around the lone draconequus to nail the truth in harder.

Cooommmeee

Given little to no other choice, what with no more crystals to destroy and his entire worldview thrown into a loop, Discord began his slow steps into the dark. His cloven hoof gently tapped the rocky floor, creating soft echoes throughout the cavern. His dragon claws scraped the rock with every step, and still he was outmatched. By the streaks of violet and sickly green electricity coursing throughout the walls and the shrieks they cried. By the soft, labored breaths of what should have been the wind flowing throughout the mountain.

In less than a minute, though it felt like an hour, Discord had finally arrived to some form of intelligent design. “Intelligent” was putting it nicely, considering what Discord witnessed looked far too primitive even for his tastes. The haunting blue light he had seen even outside the entryway was cascaded throughout all the new room he had entered. Everything was illuminated, casting deep, dark shadows across every rock and pebble.

Then, Discord saw it. The intelligence of such primitive design. He saw it resting, tall and proud within the heart of the cave and immediately knew what type of room he was in.

He had entered the throne room, and the throne of towering, dark crystal beat like a living heart against the mountain itself.

The throne was black and ferocious, unsettling and unholy. Red mist coiled and slithered from its radiating presence, the dark forces within each monumental gem pulsating with that haunting blue glow. Pulsating. Moving. Thriving. Living. The lightning shrieked all around it, brightening the crystal throne to make it stand out, to allow its shadow to crush Discord with every flash.

Its edges were curved and jagged, razor-sharp with each tip of the throne sending strikes of violent purple and green electricity throughout the entire cavern. In that illumination, Discord could see the mountain encased with various, infectious veins throughout the walls and ceilings, all of which sprouted more and more crystals. Many of which he had never sensed. Many he couldn’t even sense.

But they were there. They were as real as the throne. As real as the mountain it rested within. As real…

I did not account for your intervention

The voice was finally found. Its origin was reached and emerged from the very seat of the dark throne. Hearing the labored breaths growl from it, Discord steadied himself for whatever unrighteous being could be present, watching and waiting for him in the dark. Though the deepest, darkest, most wretched parts of his heart and soul knew who it was, Discord’s heart, mind, and eyes refused to acknowledge it. Refused to believe it.

Discord dropped his hardened gaze to the seat and saw it.

Watched as the grotesque lips twisted into a smile that showed every last blade of a fang and tooth. Listened as the words growled, “Even better…

Gasped as his eyes, mind, and heart did not deceive him. Discord saw reality. He saw truth. It was real. He was real.

Resting on the throne was the living, breathing, smiling corpse of Sombra himself.

Author's Note:

Artwork by Shrekzilla

PreviousChapters Next