• Published 30th Oct 2020
  • 5,694 Views, 205 Comments

Hey, Wait a Second - Erie_Entity



A new colt in Canterlot catches Sunset’s attention. If only he could give her proper answers.

  • ...
14
 205
 5,694

Chapter 11

Sunset jotted something down in her notebook, eyes flinging back and forth between it and the spellbooks she had just stolen from Celestia’s private library.

She had exactly four hours until midnight to scour through them for information, compile it, break it down and then somehow find a way to make it work. There were five spellbooks in total, each written by different magical geniuses over the course of Equestria’s vast history. Morningstar, Radiant Dawn, Clover the Clever, and even Starswirl the Bearded. There had to be something - anything - to help her transform into an alicorn.

A quiet doubting whisper in her mind told her that she knew there was no such spell in those books and that she was wasting her time. Sunset shook her head.

There had to be. Celestia knew the spell herself, no doubt about it.

But what if she doesn’t?

Sunset shook her head more aggressively this time. No more intrusive thoughts, those would only serve to get her nowhere and cause setbacks. She had to focus. There wasn’t enough time to waste sitting here arguing with herself.

With one last look at her notebook, she levitated the spellbooks closer. If she found a spell for the transformation, she’d have more than enough power to get anything she’d ever wanted. She’d prove to Celestia that she was ready, just like she’d always been.

She read through the first three books in about an hour and a half, found nothing related to transforming ponies and promptly tossed them aside.

Worthless.

Sunset opened the fourth book and almost immediately flipped through to what she was looking for.

“‘Transformation magic is considered to be one of the most difficult magical practices-‘“ She read aloud after some scanning. Her eyes rolled. “I know that already.”

“Blah... blah blah... blah blah blah- Here.” Finally, the subsection about pony transformation. “‘With a great deal of magical power it is possible to temporarily give a pony the traits of another tribe, such as giving an Earth Pony wings to make them a Pegasi. But this practice has been attempted so few times. It is... unknown if one pony can artificially give themselves the traits of all three tribes.’ ... Is that it?”

She read the words again and again but they didn’t change. She even read the last few chapters just to make sure she didn’t miss anything.

She didn’t, there was just nothing. Sunset’s eye twitched.

“Alicorn status must be earned. It cannot be gifted through some spell.” Celestia had told her.

“I deserve it,” She thought aloud, speaking to the past Celestia. Her anger was beginning to fester and grow. “What makes you think I’m not ready for this?”

“All you do is practice magic,” Her mentor had said on another occasion. “You care not for my lessons on friendship and the importance of-”

“I don’t need friends!” Sunset growled, throwing the spellbook against her door. With a loud booming thud the spine crashed into the wood and chipped at the surface. The book fell face up and somehow landed on the exact page she had just been reading.

Celestia didn’t know anything. Those old scrolls Sunset read had said she’d been born an alicorn. She didn’t know anything about earning both a horn and wings. All she did was be born and she got all that power, got to live forever, got to rule. It wasn’t fair! All of that belonged to-

“S-Sunset Shimmer?” A timid voice squeaked.

Sunset’s head snapped toward the door. For a second she thought the book had been flung hard enough to open it. But instead of being face to face with the pony on the other side, she watched a set of hooves awkwardly shuffle through the slit at the bottom.

Why was there a servant at her door? She had specifically requested to be alone. Keyword: Alone.

“What do you want?”

“U-Um,” The servant on the other side of the door stuttered shakily. She must have been new as Sunset didn’t recognize her voice. “Th-The P-Princess-“

“Spit it out,” Sunset hissed.

“Eep! ThePrincessrequestedthatyoujoinherfordinner!”

The orange unicorn almost poked her eye out with how hard she facehooved. Would it kill Celestia to send somepony who actually knew how to-

No, stop, take a deep breath.

“No use getting upset,” Iridescent would have told her. She couldn’t believe she was heeding the advice of that blockhead yet still his stupid face appeared in her mind, flashing her a disarming smile. “Put some water in your wine. Take it easy.”

Fine, fine.

“Say that again,” She requested to the pony on the other side of the door, all the while trying to take the bite out of her tone. “Slower, please.”

“The Princess wants you to join her for dinner!” The servant repeated. Still rushed, but comprehensible this time.

“I’ll pass.”

She didn’t want to talk to Celestia at all. Much less see her stupid self-righteous face scarfing down a carrot salad and then whatever massive cake she had for dessert.

“The Princess... um... She said she would really... appreciate it if you came?”

“...”

“Miss Shimmer?”

With a groan Sunset got off of her bed and quietly let loose bitter curses from both this world and Iridescent’s. She even sprinkled in a bit of creole she picked up from the resident human-turned-pony.

Of course Celestia ‘would really appreciate it’, that just meant it wasn’t optional. Stupid monarch and her stupid sayings. Stupid human alien. No reason in particular for calling him stupid, he just was.

A big, stupid, rainbow-haired moron… idiot… face.

“Ugh,” She groaned again. “I’m coming.”

“Great!” The servant’s voice lost it’s nervousness in an instant. “I’ll let the Princess know you’re on your way.”

“Thanks,” Sunset muttered sarcastically.

***

She took her time, obviously. What would have been a five minute walk had been extended to give-or-take fifteen minutes. Hopefully she’d make Celestia wait long enough to be annoyed or - even better - visibly frustrated. If she was going to go then she wasn’t going to go without a fight.

Upon arrival into the Dining Hall Sunset immediately took notice of a lack of Celestia and instead was greeted by her brown furred companion with a soft “yo”. Sunset waited for some kind of follow up, like a question about how she was or why she had been invited to this dinner as well. But he didn’t say anything else, too busy examining an apple rotating in his amber magic.

She watched in mild interest as the apple’s rotation sped up and a bright glow came from Iridescent’s horn. The faster the apple spun the more rich the natural red color became. It also appeared to be getting bigger.

Iridescent didn’t even blink as Sunset walked up from behind him. How did he even know she was there?

“I should have figured you’d be here too,” Sunset muttered as she took a seat to his right. “I see you finally got the hang of that food enhancer spell. It only took you, what? Fifty tries?”

“Hmm,” Iridescent hmm’d. The apple set down on the table, its amber glow of magic fading off. Sunset looked up from it and toward him.

She hadn’t been able to see before but she noticed now that his eyes were unnaturally pale and unfocused; the usual deep amber orbs now a glossy and dull yellow. It was almost unnerving, like seeing his soul drained out of him.

His mane was also tied back like he usually kept it when he had been human. The style had a certain charm that suited him. She kind of liked it. Not that she’d ever say it out loud, Faust forbid. His ego was big enough as is.

“I don’t think we’re going to be able to execute the plan tonight since the dinner might drag on. What time is it anyway?”

Iridescent’s horn glowed once more but Sunset couldn’t see the effects of the spell he cast. “Nine forty-five.”

“Kind of late to be having dinner... Was that the time keeper spell? You figured that one out too?”

“Mmhmm,” He hummed.

“What did I tell you about casting so many spells?” She chided him. “Especially for mundane stuff. You don’t exactly have the magical stamina for that yet.”

Iridescent shrugged and kept silent. Sunset sighed in frustration. This was already getting annoying.

“Something up? You’re not doing as much talking as usual.”

“I was just thinking... again,” He murmured, sounding like each word was being chosen very carefully. At least he was talking. “Had a dream last night after the mirror thing happened. I could see my dad in it pretty clearly.”

That was new. Usually his father’s face was cloudy and blurry even though she was the one who cast the spell. They’d tried all sorts of things but could never quite figure out how to fix the problem. Maybe it was a sign of his memory returning?

“Do you think-“

“No,” Iridescent grunted before she could finish voicing the thought. A brown hoof reached up and scrubbed across his face and when it pulled away his eyes were back to their usual color. “I feel the same blank sensation whenever I try and think about it. Still nothing useful from my dreams either. Just bits and pieces of memories or weird dream stuff like eating a cheeseburger while fighting a basilisk underwater.”

Normal dream stuff then. It seemed he was experiencing the same frequency of dreams as everypony else. That was good according to the spellbooks. He’d continue having dreams about past events every now and again. Hopefully that meant finding out exactly what happened to bring him here in the first place.

“At least it’s not Silent Hill,” She said, half humorously.

Iridescent managed a smirk. Sunset didn’t quite share the same feeling about the mention of the series but she wasn’t going to say anything about it if it made him feel better.

Sunset had read horror stories before; the typical ponies made of shadows, evil spirits who brought misfortune to everypony in their path, wizards corrupted by dark magic. But nothing in Equestria was as actually scary as human horror.

Maybe it was because of how horrific their world already was. Plagued by crime, poverty and seemingly never ending conflict. It was just awful compared to Equestria’s millennia of peace. But humans were always trying to find ways to one-up their own reality with stories of evil gods, malevolent unstoppable forces from beyond the stars, the dangers of their own minds.

She didn’t really get it.

What was perhaps worse than the injustice itself was that humans just... lived with it. They went about their lives as if suffering wasn’t happening all over their world. In the past Iridescent hadn’t been above making jokes about the things he had experienced, something she had been quick to shut down. When asked about it he just shrugged, said that it was just how life went.

How did someone just accept that?

Did he truly want to go back?

“By the way,” A voice echoed from the doorway, catching their attention. It was a stallion this time, probably the pony who had escorted Iridescent. He remained out of sight like some kind of secret messenger. “The Princess wanted to inform you two that you’ll be having a guest for dinner tonight.”

“A guest?” Sunset’s interest was piqued. “Who?”

“You’ve met her before, Sunset Shimmer, but the Princess told me not to say her name.” She and Iridescent glanced at each other. “I must go now. Enjoy your dinner.”

The fading sound of hooves clopping told her that the servant had left but her question still remained unanswered. Sunset had met them before? Did that servant have the slightest idea how little that narrowed it down? She’d met countless ponies thanks to her position as Celestia’s pupil.

“Mysterious,” Her rainbow haired companion remarked. He reached to his chin and stroked his imaginary beard sagely. “Can’t wait to see who this ‘guest’ is. Maybe a dignitary from another country?”

“I doubt it. Celestia doesn’t usually let me sit in on international affairs. Apparently I’m too... difficult.”

“No!” Iridescent exclaimed in mock surprise.

Sunset rolled her eyes at the colt’s antics. “Yes.”

“I couldn’t tell. I think you’re a very agreeable pony,” The fake surprised expression persisted for another ten seconds and finally cracked when Sunset slugged him in the shoulder. “Hey! You can’t just keep hitting me!”

“I can,” She said with an upturned chin, a faux display of superiority just to show she meant business. “You can’t stop me.”

“I definitely think I can.”

“You wouldn’t hurt a girl. That’s not very ‘manly’ of you.”

Iridescent playfully raised an eyebrow. His horn lit up and in an instant Sunset felt a flicking sensation on her forehead. It wasn’t enough to hurt, Iridescent wouldn’t dare, but enough for her to still feel insulted.

The idiot flashed her a smile as if he hadn’t committed such a horrific atrocity.

“Took me forever to get the precision down but now I can flick you when you flick me. Another impressive trick added to the Master of the Arcane’s arsenal.”

Sunset didn’t say anything, glaring at him dangerously. Iridescent awkwardly moved his chair backward while holding up a hoof to keep her at bay.

“H-Hey, bacon bits,” He stuttered. “We can tal-“

Before he could even react, Sunset’s horn lit up and unleashed a powerful flicking spell. There was enough magic behind it to force his head backward and make him yelp in pain. Sunset grinned triumphantly.

“You were saying?” Sunset asked while suppressing a laugh.

“That actually hurt!” He hissed, trying to dull the pain by covering his head with his hooves.

“Yeah? Well maybe next time you shouldn’t challenge the flicking queen. Sucks to suck, Iridoofus.”

Iridescent stopped his pained muttering and stared at Sunset in an emotion she couldn’t identify. Shock? Likely. Disbelief? Probably. A combination of both? Definitely.

“That... You just-“

“I did,” She confirmed. “Consider it revenge for your dumb jokes about my name and hair. Be grateful I didn’t make any jokes about your actual name… Jessica.”

Iridescent scowled while Sunset just rolled her eyes.

Iridoofus. That was a good one. Maybe she should write it down.

“I’m sorry I’m late!”

The two unicorns jumped, suddenly being made aware of the new pony. They both turned to look in the direction of the pony’s voice. That sounded familiar. Who could-

Oh.

Sunset felt a rising surge of annoyance. That’s who the guest was. No wonder Celestia didn’t want to tell. It was one of the solar monarch’s successful projects and one of the chosen few ponies ever to actually ascend to alicorn status. There mere sight of her made Sunset’s skin crawl and her fur stand on end.

“Sorry! I hope I’m not interrupting anything,” Princess Mi Amore Cadenza apologized. She hurriedly took her seat and smiled warmly at them, brushing herself off as she did so. “Celestia invited me for dinner tonight and I just couldn’t refuse!”

She certainly looked to be in a rush. Her mane was tied back in a messy bun and her eyes had faded bags underneath them. Celestia must have invited her over at the last minute. That or she was a lazy pony.

Sunset’s nose scrunched up in disgust. To think she’d actually became a princess.

“Anyway,” Cadenza said eagerly, clapping her hooves together as if she were actually happy to be here. “It’s nice to see you both!”

Bonswa,” Iridescent greeted. He and Cadenza both looked over at each other curiously. Iridescent in particular seemed to be focused on her wings and horn. “I don’t think we’ve met before. Pretty sure I’d remember meeting an alicorn. Who are you?”

“I am Princess Mi Amore Cadenza,” She said with a practiced fluidity. “But I’d prefer if you’d call me Cadance. My full name’s a bit of a mouthful.”

“Iridescent Horizon... Also a bit of a mouthful. You can just call me Iridescent.”

“So that’s what your mane reminded me of!” Cadance gasped in realization. “Like the rainbow pattern on bubbles! Yours has more blue though. It’s also not actually iridescent. That’s a bit disappointing.”

“I- I mean- Yeah?”

Iridescent cast Sunset a side glance. She half-heartedly shrugged, unable to give him a proper answer to whatever question he was probably thinking of. Cadance was in a good mood, which meant she’d be chatty, not exactly something Sunset cared for.

“I didn’t know other ponies would be at the dinner. It was only when I walked past the throne room that I was told both of her personal students would be here.”

Both of her personal students? Was that Iridescent’s title now? It’s not like he’d be here long enough to learn anything Celestia had been teaching Sunset. She did know that he had to go back home eventually, right?

“I didn’t even know she had another student besides Sunset,” Cadance continued, gazing at Iridescent with a friendly smile. “You must be somepony special for her to take on another pupil while she’s already training one.”

He definitely was somepony special, not that Celestia knew. Or that Sunset knew that Celestia knew. Or that Cadance knew that Sunset knew that-

“I know,” Iridescent gave a sarcastic sigh. “Good for me.”

“Speaking of special,” She hummed, not noticing the colt’s tone. “What was that word you said when you greeted me? Bon... swa? Is that prench? It sounds like it would be prench.”

Iridescent blinked. He leaned a little to his right, whispering to Sunset. “Prench? What’s that?”

“Pony french,” She whispered back.

“Lame,” He mouthed. Sunset jabbed him in the side with her elbow. “Ouch! Um, no. It’s not prench, it’s kreyòl. Creole.”

“I don’t believe I recognize that language, ‘cree-ole’.”

“I’d be surprised if you did. Not even Celestia’s heard of it.”

Cadance’s eyes suddenly sparkled with a genuine interest.

“Is it a dead language? Where did you learn it?”

“From my dad and grandfather before-,” Iridescent’s eyes clouded over for the briefest of moments before he shook his head. Cadance didn’t seem to notice, too caught up in her own fascination. “I learned it before I got here, to Canterlot.”

“Interesting! Could you teach me some? I’d like to learn while we wait. Perhaps we can learn more about each other?”

Small talk. Great, fantastic even.

“Uh, I mean, sure?” Iridescent glanced at Sunset and she shrugged in indifference. That wasn’t really any of her concern. In fact, the less interaction with Cadance she had, the better. “Yeah, sure. What would you like to learn first?”

“Let’s see-“

Sunset promptly tuned them both out, resting her head on her hoof.

Celestia had called for the dinner but still hadn’t shown. It had been a while since the servant had come to Sunset’s room and it wasn’t like the monarch to be late. Perhaps she had forgotten to raise the sun, it wouldn’t be the first time.

Why had they even been called in the first place? Celestia never organized a dinner at the last minute. Everything with her included some kind of plan.

An apology maybe? Doubtful. Celestia would never apologize. Even if she did, it wouldn’t be in front of Cadenza. Or anypony, actually. It would be through a letter, delivered under Sunset’s door while she was sleeping and phrased in a way that made everything Sunset’s fault.

Ugh. There was so much she could be doing right now.

Sunset glared at the empty plate on the table in front of her. Her reflection didn’t change. No wings or ethereal hair, just a horn and a bitter gaze.

She had been an alicorn. They had both been alicorns. Gods, as Iridescent would put it. If their talents got stronger with the traits of all three pony tribes they might have both held enough power to be considered that.

Gods, her mind repeated. The word felt strange.

Gods, gods, gods.

“I dunno if this is rude or anything,” Iridescent spoke up, catching Sunset’s attention again. She mentally prepared herself for whatever stupid statement he was about to spout off. “But what exactly are you the princess of?”

“Oh, that’s easy,” Cadance smiled. “I’m the Princess of Love.”

Was the negative feeling that struck her an annoyance for having to wait so long or... jealousy?

“Love,” Iridescent echoed. “As in like... the romantic kind?”

“Mostly the romantic kind, yes.”

“So do you... control it?”

“To an extent. My special talent is that I can sense feelings of love between other ponies, amplify or null them if I want to. I can also detect other emotions but not as well. Love’s kinda just my main thing.”

Iridescent blinked owlishly.

“You make ponies fall in love?”

“Heavens no!” Cadance seemed to be really offended at the question. “Even if I could, I wouldn’t do that. I can only really control feelings that are there. If two ponies don’t have even the smallest romantic interest in each other then that is beyond my control.”

Seemed like a useless ability to Sunset. Did anypony truly care about the relationships of others? Besides Celestia, of course.

“That’s cool. I mean, I respectfully want you to stay away from me, but that’s still cool.”

“I wouldn’t manipulate the love of anypony if they specifically requested me not to... Though I can’t help but see it in others. Is there somepony you love, Iridescent Horizon? Perhaps somepony who loves you?”

An uncomfortable expression came over the brown unicorn’s features, complimented by a flash of fear in his eyes. “Uh, no?”

“I suppose love is too strong a word. What about a faint romantic interest?”

Sunset felt a small smirk begin to form. There was a particular enjoyment she got from watching him be uncomfortable.

“Is it a filly at school?” Cadance prodded, leaning forward with a cheeky grin on her face. The colt across from her was beginning to blush. “Or maybe a colt? Both?”

“I’m not into colts,” Iridescent muttered. Suddenly his eyes widened and his hooves came up in a ‘wait’ gesture as if he were trying to defend himself. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that! It’s just not how I am!”

Sunset snorted. Cadance was throwing him off balance by being so pushy. He was making more of an idiot of himself than usual.

“You didn’t answer the first question. Hmm.... What’s her name? I don’t need my special talent to see that you’re feeling a little bit of something for her.”

“It’s not-“

“Candy Puff,” Sunset interjected. The hurt and betrayed look Iridescent shot her was so genuine she almost felt bad, but instead of apologizing she blew him a quick raspberry. “She likes to flirt with him between classes.”

“Sunset!” Iridescent exclaimed with a flushed face. “You-“

“Candy Puff?” Cadance raised a playfully curious eyebrow. “She must really be something for him to be acting like this. I wonder what exactly she feels for him-“

“We’re done talking about this!” Iridescent blurted, slamming his hooves on the table. The two mares both grinned, making his blush deepen. “Man, I wonder where Princess Celestia is! Haha... Ha.”

“Did somepony call my name?”

The three ponies at the table looked toward the door where the tall alicorn was standing. Sunset’s mood soured so quickly that she could almost taste the bitter feeling in her mouth. The other two ponies at the table seemed happy to see her, albeit for different reasons.

So many sudden entrances that I feel like I’m getting whiplash,” Iridescent muttered. He quickly brightened back up to cover up his previous embarrassment. “Princess! Kijan ou ye?”

Bonswa, Auntie!” Cadance greeted. “Kijan ou ye? ... Did I say that right?”

Celestia cast a glance to Sunset. The unicorn nodded her head in the monarch’s direction and then examined her hoof in a bored manner. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Celestia frown slightly before trying to put on another smile.

That’s right, Sunset thought. Pretend like everything’s fine.

“I’m quite alright. I see Iridescent taught you some of his language, Cadance. I don’t believe he’s even shared that with Sunset.”

The speaking of her name caused Sunset to bristle. She didn’t need to learn. Most of the stuff he knew, she knew as well because of the memory spells. She just chose not to speak a language that wasn’t her’s.

Not that it was any of Celestia’s business.

“In any case, I’m glad you could all come to dinner,” The solar princess said. The large chair at the head of the table pulled itself out with a golden glow and Celestia sat down on it. A bright-eyed servant appeared from the door she had come out of, a pencil in mouth and a notebook in her hoof to take their orders. “Let’s get started.”

***

“And then,” Cadance put a hoof over her mouth to stifle a giggle. “Shining tried to take his helmet off and it snagged on his horn! They had to use an intangibility spell to remove it!”

Even though she still wished she was somewhere else, Sunset couldn’t stop herself from laughing quietly. Luckily Iridescent’s snickering and Celestia’s musical laughter drowned out the sound.

Cadance had started telling this little story after they had all finished devouring their meals. They each had some food left on their respective plates, though nopony was too worried about eating anymore save for Celestia, who kept taking small bites of her cake dessert.

This dinner seemed to be coming to a close. Perhaps Celestia didn’t want to discuss anything and Sunset had been paranoid for nothing. She hated being wrong but this was better than the alternative. They’d be able to visit the archives tonight without further incident. Her mind was already racing at the possibilities of what that mirror could show her.

“What a hilarious story, Cadance,” Celestia said after swallowing a bite of cake. “It’s almost similar to what happened today.”

“Huh? What happened, Auntie?”

“There were three colts found unconscious in the middle of a street today.” Iridescent tensed up beside Sunset, who looked at him strangely. “They had been knocked out by a blast of magical energy. One of them even fell into a puddle of his own... excrement.”

Iridescent’s cup of lemonade set itself down on the table.

“Oh... that’s-,” Bubbles of laughter blurbed from Cadence’s mouth. She managed to keep them down. “That’s truly... Um.”

“It’s okay to laugh,” Celestia told her after another bite. “Though unfortunate they were attacked, the situation they were found in is rather humorous.”

“Attacked?” Sunset asked curiously. Iridescent awkwardly coughed beside her. “By who?”

“Currently, that is still under investigation,” Celestia sighed. She finished the last bite of her cake and set her fork down on the plate. “The colts didn’t seem to remember exactly who did it but they do remember the pony being a unicorn. They seemed adamant that the attack was a hate crime of sorts.”

“Hate crime?” Cadence asked, amusement forgotten.

“We cannot know for sure until this pony is found. But when that time comes, they will be interrogated. Hate crimes are a very serious matter.” Celestia’s face took on a very serious look. “The hatred of other ponies based on their characteristics was left in the era of the warring pony tribes. Those days are long behind us.”

“Guess this place isn’t that perfect after all,” Iridescent whispered to himself. Sunset managed to hear him only because of how close they were.

“Much better than your world,” She whispered back with a thick level of snark.

Iridescent huffed but didn’t say anything in response. Not that he could, really. The fact made her smirk. Her world was better, take that ya dumb alien.

“Anyway,” Celestia’s magic wrapped around a teacup. She raised it to take a sip but seemed to change her mind, lowering it instead. Her already serious face formed a small glare, though it seemed to be directed purely at her reflection in the tea. “I am sure you are all wondering why you were called for dinner.”

Sunset felt herself cringe. So much for the plan.

“That would be nice to know,” Iridescent muttered dryly. “It’s not everyday the goddess of the sun invites you for dinner with her personal student and the goddess of love.”

“‘Goddess’,” Cadence repeated almost inaudibly. A warm red glow spread over her cheeks.

Celestia frowned slightly. She never really took well to being called a goddess even if it was technically a compliment.

“It actually concerns you, Iridescent Horizon,” She said, looking up from her tea and toward the colt. Iridescent went tense again.

“What are you talking about?”

“There was a recent... development within your case. So to speak.”

“‘Development’?” Both Sunset and her human companion said at once. They shared curious looks before Iridescent inquired further. “What do you mean?”

“This morning an old previously lost artifact was rediscovered,” Celestia explained. “It was found in a Manehatten park. The pony who uncovered it fell into a tunnel underneath the area and found-“

“I still don’t see how this relates to-“

“The artifact,” Celestia continued as if she hadn’t been interrupted. “is called the Amulet of Purification. The pony who wears the amulet will have themselves cleansed of any negative ailments, particularly those of magical nature. It only works once per pony, though that information is - likely - irrelevant in your case.”

Sunset’s eyes widened as the information sunk in. She and Iridescent looked at each other to confirm that they both heard the same thing.

The amulet worked on magical ailments, assuming that Iridescent’s memory loss was the result of a spell. But even then, the effect probably didn’t even have to be magical for the amulet to work. It almost seemed too good to be true.

“Why didn’t you tell me this morning?” Iridescent asked Celestia. “This is kind of a big bomb to drop on me so late in the evening.”

“I was arranging the arrival of the artifact but was also busy with my other duties,” She replied.

Iridescent frowned and whispered something under his breath, inaudible to everypony at the table.

“Unfortunately such a powerful artifact warrants a lot of attention from the... less than savory.” Celestia almost seemed to say the words with a genuine distaste. “So instead of a ride on the main train, it will arrive here by hoof. The journey will take a few days.”

“And just how long is ‘a few days’?” Sunset asked.

“Today is currently Saturday. The artifact is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday after your classes are over.”

Celestia sipped at her tea, gaze locked on it rather than the other ponies at the table. Cadence, for the most part, just appeared lost and confused.

Sunset could feel a small positive feeling building up. Hope? Iridescent would finally get to learn what had happened to him and if he was lucky, go back to Earth not long after. She looked at him, feeling herself actually smiling. She was... happy for him.

Except... She felt her smile flip into a frown. Iridescent wasn’t smiling at all, only staring at the monarch in disbelief.

“Is there some kind of catch? You’re offering me my memories back on a silver platter and you don’t want anything from me?”

“You should take the chance,” Sunset softly elbowed him in the side. “Maybe you can find a way home.”

Iridescent ignored her, his brow furrowing into a scowl.

“How do I know you didn’t know about this thing before? After what you told me yesterday-“

“There is no catch, Iridescent Horizon,” Celestia said softly. “Nor was this artifact previously discovered. I am sorry for the past but I am doing this for you now. I only ask that you accept.”

Sunset looked back and forth between them, feeling very out of the loop. Did something happen?

She opened her mouth to ask but Iridescent covered it with a hoof, shaking his head.

“Later,” His lips said. But the distracted look in his eyes told her he might not even bother explaining when the time came.

Iridescent turned back toward Celestia and crossed his forelegs over his chest.

“I accept. You said Wednesday, right?”

“That is correct, Iridescent Horizon.”

The colt cringed openly.

“Is there anything else I should know? You secretly trying to sacrifice me to some elder gods?”

The princess cracked a small smile and took another sip of her tea. She shook her head.

“Nothing of the sort. The only other thing I have left to tell you is that your personal magical assessment is Monday. You will be missing school.”

“I might be going home after Wednesday. Is a magical assessment really necessary?”

“Perhaps not,” Celestia admitted. “But would you not like to see how far you’ve come? Perhaps even demonstrate your magical ability to your friends in your village?”

Iridescent scoffed.

“I feel like you’re fucking with me.”

“Language, Mr. Horizon. And I assure you, I am doing no such thing.”

Iridescent didn’t seem convinced. Neither was Sunset, if she was being honest.

“Right... I’m going to go to bed. I need to sleep on this. Thanks for the dinner.”

The colt leapt out of his seat and stretched his legs. He gave a wave to Cadence along with a quick, “glad to meet you”.

Iridescent cast a glance to Sunset, the resentful and distracted look in his amber eyes softening. She stared back, no doubt with confusion etched onto her face like she were a permanently puzzled statue. She had a few questions, what he and Celestia talked about yesterday was one of them.

“Tomorrow,” He mouthed, apparently reading her mind. Sunset nodded.

With that, he just walked off. The three mares at the table watched him leave with varying expressions. Or in Celestia’s case, none at all.

“That was... eventful,” Cadence said slowly while to hide her confusion, only succeeding in appearing even more confused. “If you only wanted to talk to Iridescent, why am I here, auntie?”

“I simply wanted to have dinner with you all,” Celestia took a long sip of her tea and then set the cup down. “If you truly wish to understand then I will explain it to you later.”

She looked across the table to Sunset, who stared back with an almost neutral glare.

“You may leave, Sunset Shimmer,” She said with forced politeness. “Thank you for joining us.”

Sunset waited for her brain to come up with something to say. She wanted to ask a question, demand Celestia tell her what she wanted to know, maybe even insult her. But she couldn’t.

“Whatever,” the unicorn muttered.

Her horn glowed turquoise. She saw Cadence give her a small wave out of the corner of her eye. Sunset hesitated but eventually returned the gesture, before vanishing in a flash of light.

Author's Note:

So uh, apparently, I dreamed about publishing the chapter last week and never actually did it in real life. The brain works in mysterious ways.

In other news I bought an air fryer! You can put literally anything in one of these bad boys and the fun part is that it barely takes any time at all. Best 50 bucks ever spent.

Also thanks for the support on this mess of a story. No clue why people like it so much