• Published 24th Oct 2020
  • 3,837 Views, 600 Comments

Pride and Joy - Melody Song



When Thorax finds a young orphaned nymph, his life changes in a way he never expected. But he couldn't be happier.

  • ...
10
 600
 3,837

Lullabies

Flurry Heart was giving her best friends a tour of her home while the adults who were with them did the same, guided by Cadence.

Ember was there, visiting the Empire to explore a possible trade between the two kingdoms. Thorax and Pharynx were there simply to see Cadence, as she’d invited Thorax over, asking him to bring Apex so they could play. Tempest, as Twilight’s personal guard, had accompanied the Princess while bringing Pound and Pumpkin. Twilight was currently exploring the Empire with Starlight and Sunburst, and had assured Tempest she would be okay without a guard, allowing her to spend the time catching up with Pharynx, Ember, and Thorax.

Apex now followed Flurry Heart, Pound Cake, and Pumpkin Cake aimlessly through the Crystal Empire castle. He was trudging along behind the three, steps slow.

“I can’t ‘lieve you live here Flurry, it’s so big!” Pound cried

“It’s a castle Pound, it’s a’posed to be big.” Pumpkin replied, then looked back. “Apex, are you o‘kay?”

“Huh? Yeah, just sleepy… ‘n my tummy hurts.” Apex mumbled, putting a foreleg around his stomach and grimacing.

“Maybe we should tell someone.” Pound suggested

“I’ll be… fine…” Apex’s legs buckled and he fell. His eyes closed as he hit the floor, groaning.

“Apex!” Pumpkin and Flurry screamed, drawing the attention of the adults.

Thorax, Ember, Cadence, Pharynx, and Tempest ran to them.

“Kids, what happened?” Cadence asked

“Apex said his tummy hurt an’ when he said he’d be okay, he fell.” Flurry replied

Thorax stepped forward and lifted Apex into his foreleg, his antlers glowing with a light blue aura. Thorax closed his eyes and opened his mouth, tasting the nymph’s emotions.

“He’s alright.” Thorax sighed in relief. “He just had too muchlove.”

“What do you mean?” Cadence asked

“Changelings still need some love to survive.” Pharynx explained, stepping forward. “Tastes here and there, usually from other ‘lings or friends. But young nymphs sometimes take in too much, and what’s considered a normal amount for grown changelings can make them sick.”

“What are you going to do then?” Tempest asked

“We’ll just have to draw out the extra love.” Thorax replied

“Draw out…? You mean eat?” Ember asked for confirmation.

“Yep.” Pharynx said simply, before joining Thorax.

The two grown changelings opened their mouths and closed their eyes. Glowing pink light went from Apex into the brothers’ mouths. They stopped, Pharynx licking his lips, and watched Apex closely. The nymph stirred and his eyes opened slowly.

“Papa Thorax?” Apex shifted in his hooves.

“I’m here Apex, it’s okay.” Thorax nuzzled him gently.

“M-My tummy hurts…” Apex moaned, snuggling against the alpha changeling.

“Don’t worry grub, I know something to help with that.” Pharynx told him.

“Cadence, I’m sorry but I think we had better go.” Thorax apologized

“It’s no trouble, I understand.” Cadence assured him.

“I’ll come too. I want to see if he’s okay.” Ember said, stepping forwards.

“Um…” Tempest looked down at Apex, then out the window. “I don’t know if…”

“I’ll let Twilight know where you are Tempest. I’m sure she’ll understand you wanting to be a supportive friend.” Cadence told her.

“Thank you Princess.” Tempest bowed before joining her friends. Together, they headed out.

Later on that day, Thorax was laying in his bed, soothing Apex. He rocked Apex gently in his hooves, and the little nymph moaned.

“Here Thor.” Pharynx entered the King’s bedroom, Tempest and Ember behind him. In his magic, Pharynx carried a steaming mug with a herbal scent wafting out of it.

“Chamomile tea with honey and lemon. It should help.” Pharynx explained, setting the cup down on the bed.

“Thanks Pharynx.” Thorax tilted the cup nearer to the nymph. “Here Apex, try this.”

Apex reached and took a sip of the tea. He licked his lips and took another sip.

“It’s good.”

“Mm-hmm. Take slow sips, okay?” Pharynx warned

Apex pushed the cup away after a few more sips. Thorax pulled Apex closer, nosing him.

“Try to rest, Apex, okay?” Thorax murmured, running a hoof down his stomach to soothe him.

“Flurry Heart told me her mommy sings to her when she can’t sleep…” Apex mumbled, snuggling into Thorax’s chest.

“Well, I can try a song…” Thorax began. Pharynx huffed and moved to a corner of the room.

Apex nestled up close and looked up at him, listening. Thorax’s voice was soft and gentle.

“Hush now, quiet now,
It’s time to lay your sleepy head
Hush now, quiet now,
It’s time to go to bed.

Drifting off to sleep
Exciting day behind you
Drifting off to sleep
Let the joy of dreamland find you.”

“That’s all?” Tempest asked

“Twilight’s friend Fluttershy told me about it, she said that’s all there is.”

“I know that Thorax. Foals hear it all the time from their parents, including me.” Tempest replied

“Here Thor, let me try.” Ember said

Ember pulled herself onto the bed. She sat down by Thorax’s side and leaned against him, reaching to rub Apex’s head. Then, she sang softly, her voice made it sound slightly melancholy.

“Look to the stars, my darling boy
Life is strange, and vast, filled with wonders and joys
Face each new sun with eyes clear and true
Unafraid of the unknown, because I’ll face it all with you.”

“That’s pretty short too Em.” Pharynx remarked dryly.

“At least I’m trying to help. My mother used to sing it to me. She’d say ‘darling girl’ instead of boy, obviously, but the rest is the same.” Ember told him.

“My turn then, seeing as he’s still awake.” Tempest said, stepping closer to the bed.

Tempest leaned down and nosed Apex so he’d look her way. To Ember and Thorax’s credit, he did look a little drowsier. Tempest began to sing, her singing voice surprisingly deep-throated and pure, but not deep-deep. Just heavy.

“Where the north wind meets the sea
There’s a river full of memory
Sleep my darling, safe and sound
For in this river all is found

In her waters, deep and true
Lay the answers and a path for you
Dive down deep into her sound
But not too far, or you’ll be drowned.

Yes, she will sing to those who’ll hear
And in her song, all magic flows
But can you brave what you most fear?
Can you face what the river knows?

Where the north wind meets the sea
There’s a river full of memory
Come my darling, homeward bound
When all is lost, then all is found.”

Tempest finished her song and Apex yawned. He snuggled deeper into Thorax’s hooves, but still did not sleep.

“Come on Apex.” Tempest sighed. “My grandmother taught me that one.”

“Oh for the hivemother’s sake.” Pharynx groaned. He strode over and leapt onto the bed, settling himself in front of Thorax.

“Pharynx?” Thorax said, confused.

“I know a song. It’s an old changeling lullaby from the days of the old hive. But Tempest...you might not like the first verse.” Pharynx said

“It’s okay. If it helps Apex, I’ll be fine.” Tempest said

“Uncle Pharynx?” Apex asked, and Pharynx’s gaze softened.

Pharynx used his magic to lift Apex from Thorax’s forelegs and set him between his own. Apex looked up. Pharynx took a breath and began to sing, his voice coming out a rich and soothing baritone.

“The sky is dark and the hills are white
As the Storm King speeds from the north to-night”

Pharynx paused and glanced at Tempest. She made no attempt to stop him but he saw her eyes widen slightly. He looked down at Apex again and continued.

“And this is the song the Storm King sings
As over the world his cloak he flings

Sleep, sleep, little one sleep
He rustles his wings and gruffly sings
Sleep, little one sleep.

On yonder mountain-side a vine
Slings at the foot of a mother pine
The tree bends over the trembling thing
And only the vine can hear her sing:

Pharynx leaned down to nuzzle Apex affectionately, and Apex touched his muzzle gently with a small hoof. Pharynx gave him a soft smile.

Sleep, sleep, little one sleep
What shall you fear when I am here?
Sleep, little one sleep.”

Pharynx pulled Apex closer, laying him against his chest. Apex yawned and closed his eyes.

“The king may sing in his bitter flight
And the pine may croon to the vine to-night
But the little snowflake at my chest
Liketh the song I sing the best

Sleep, sleep, little one sleep
Weary thou art, anext my heart
Sleep, little one sleep.”

Pharynx finished the song, and they saw Apex was asleep. The nymph seemed to be listening to Pharynx’s heartbeat through his chitin. Pharynx smiled proudly and looked up at them.

“Pharynx, that was amazing.” Ember whispered

“Your voice is beautiful Phar.” Tempest added

“Thanks. I was just trying to help the kid sleep.” Pharynx leaned down again and nuzzled Apex.

“I wonder why he calmed down to your song and not any of ours.” Thorax wondered

“Does it really matter? The grub’s asleep and he’s going to be okay.” Pharynx said

“Right.” Thorax very carefully eased himself closer to Pharynx. “Do you mind if I…?”

“Don’t even think about it.” Pharynx warned.

“Okay.” Thorax then promptly moved and laid beside his brother, resting his head by Apex, near Pharynx’s chest. “But I already did it.”

“Great.” Pharynx muttered

Ember and Tempest climbed in after Thorax, settling by the three changelings. Pharynx, despite himself, sighed contentedly as Tempest took up the spot on his other side, resting against him. Ember laid by Thorax instead, curling up beside him.

“Apex wasn’t the only one that lullaby worked on. I’m pretty sleepy myself.” Tempest murmured

“Me too.” Ember mumbled, snuggling into Thorax’s carapace.

“Me… three…” Thorax sighed, before falling asleep.

Pharynx now found himself surrounded on all sides by sleeping creatures. He contemplated what to do and selected the best option. He laid his head down by Apex’s small form and closed his eyes. Soon enough, sleep called to him as well.

Author's Note:

Not really proud of this chapter, but it had to be published at some point. Hope you guys at least liked it.

By the way, the Storm King line in Pharynx's song...this idea by a commenter is basically what I'm going with for explanation: the Storm King was an old legend in the south that changelings had connections to, and the guy Tempest worked for simply took the name to leech off of the fame.

~Melody Song