• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 962 Views, 25 Comments

The 6th Element - WeAreBorg



5 Elements gathered around a 6th. The only weapon against the ultimate Evil and supreme Darkness.

  • ...
2
 25
 962

Every 5000 Years

A/N This is my first attempt at writing so please comment and tell me what you do or don't like. I can't hope to get better with out you guys. Special thanks to my prereader fl4pj4ck for loving and tolerating the crap out of this story even though he doesn't like ponies.

The 6th Element

Chapter 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a My Little Pony fanfic crossover with The 5th Element

by WeAreBorg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was hot and tired; even the trees looked like they were sweating. Despite the fact that she was in the shade, the young filly was miserable in the heat of the dense forest. Dark trees kept reaching for her, scraping their branches across her coat. She had already started panting halfway back to the site, yet a cold shiver ran down her spine as she pressed on. The path she walked was well worn, but traveling through Everfree Forest was not just difficult; it was dangerous. Dangerous and hot! The young unicorn kept her eyes fixed on the path before her for fear of losing it, but her equine instincts kept her safe using her sharp hearing. Each ear would flick about of their own accord attempting to filter the jungle noise from the predatory murmurings her imagination was supplying.

The saddle bags she wore kept rubbing at her sides, and she continuously had to readjust them as they slipped on her sweaty fur. It was probably just a trick anyway, who ever heard of a water carrying cutie mark? ‘Maybe you got to do it a few times’ they said, Hah! Well it just wasn’t worth it. She continued to grumble to herself until the path cut loose from the trees. She breathed a deep sigh of relief as her destination came into view.

Sweetie Belle shifted her heavy saddle bags once more and started across the fog shrouded bridge that led to the old ruins. On the other side lay a large clearing, pock marked with broken bricks and crumbling ruins, most of which were scarcely more than anything anypony would call a ‘pile.’ Dominating the space in the center was a tall temple. Old runes shown between the vines that clung to every wall. While, out of context, the temple by itself wasn’t very impressive, to a small filly this ancient structure in the middle of this Celestia-forsaken place was something out of her nightmares. She gave a shudder and entered the base camp near the entrance to the temple. The camp was deserted except for some foals by the temple steps. The adults weren't needed for the heavy digging and sifting anymore, not while the Doctor studied. When the other foals caught sight of her they began to cheer and flock to her, hoping to quench their thirst. As Sweetie Belle met them, she pulled two water skins from her saddle bags, hoofed one off to her friend Applebloom, along with a look of malice, and then trotted inside the temple with the other.

The unicorn filly made her way uneasily down a long, pillared corridor. Littering the sides were broken artifacts, baskets for hauling debris and bronze mirrors for redirecting the sunlight into the deeper reaches of the structure. Off to the left lay a few rooms and antechambers for Celestia knows what, and to her right was a vast room, shrouded in darkness, filled with columns and the finest architecture from its time. Hieroglyphics covered every surface, and dust and dirt even more so. An old professor stood on a small wooden box, up on his hind legs, in front of the wall across the room, muttering to himself.

Dr Hooves was a not-so-well-known archaeologist who’d seen better days. Hoping his discoveries here would reignite his career after his fiasco at his last dig looking for Cyberponies, he had become obsessed with the temple. Joining him on his mission was one of his more promising students, a young mare named Carrot Top. She was reclined on her back, propped between a wall and a pile of gear, a large sketchpad in her hoof and pencil in mouth. A blank stare graced her yellow face as her drawing attempted to drown out the boredom. Behind them sat a young pegasus whose job was to hold one of the bronze mirrors to illuminate the expansive room. Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes, noticing her friend dozing off. In her heightened state of mental awareness, the sleepy pegasus let the mirror slide, shadowing the doctor’s work. Sighing, he brought a forehoof to his face and half turned.

“Scootaloo! Light!”

Jolted awake, Scootaloo re-aimed the mirror. Also brought from her reverie, Carrot inhaled deeply and muttered, “Scootaloo, light,” under her breath before marking down on a chart entitled “Scootaloo! Light!”: another of many tallies. She left Hoofington for this?

Wiping sweat off his muzzle with a foreleg, the Doctor once again lost himself in the hieroglyphics. "When the four stars are in alignment." His hoof traced across the wall, feeling each marking as he interpreted them. "They aid in the escape of... Evil... from a... distant moon... Evil comes... sowing disharmony and darkness... See? The stars, Carrot. They unleash Ultimate Evil and Supreme Darkness... make sure you get the stars!” The Doctor pointed emphatically to the hieroglyph of the stars in their alignment, coming together towards a moon.

Sighing, Carrot shifted the pencil to the side of her mouth, “Yes, yes I have your stars.” Barely paying any attention she continued sketching a picture of vegetables, until a thought struck her. “And when are these stars supposed to release this evil moon?”

The Doctor’s fingers touched the symbols. “If this is the five and this the ten...” Trailing off he closed his eyes and muttered his calculations. “Every five thousand years.”

“So I have time for lunch then,” she said and went back to her sketch.

Throughout this exchange, Sweetie Belle stood and listened out of sight near the entrance to the chamber. Still with water bag in mouth she contemplated what would earn her a better cutie mark, being able to read squiggles or fending off evil moons. A thin old hoof fell on her withers causing her to gasp and jump. Turning, she found herself face to face with an ancient priestess in a roughly made brown cloak. Her pale green fur was graying around her muzzle, and her movements were slow and jerky.

“Ah, the water,” the old priestess croaked. “Ah will take it to ‘em young un.”
Startled but obedient, Sweetie Belle wordlessly gave the water bag to the Priestess.


“Go with Celestia,” said the old nag to the filly, shooing her off. “Be safe from Evil.”

As soon as she was gone, the priestess took young unicorn’s place near the chamber’s entrance and cast a worried eye to the Doctor, fearful for what they might discover.

"Then arrange the Elements of Harmony against the Darkness just so," the Doctor mumbled on, his hoof tracing the lines and pictograms. "Kindness... Laughter... Honesty... Loyalty... Generosity. These elements around the sixth." His hoof fell on the one element that has a pony shape, surrounded by all the others.

Panicking, the Priestess opened the water skin and poured a vial of powder into
it . “Oh Celestia forgive me... they already know too much,” she whispered to herself.

Announcing herself with a cough, the old mare entered the chamber.

Carrot dropped her pencil and rose to her hooves as the doctor turned to face the newcomer. Delighted to see her, Carrot clasped the priestess's offered hoof. “Mother Smith, so good to see you.”

“Ah, Carrot mah girl.” Ever the visage of old age and trust, Priestess Smith smiled and shook Carrot’s hoof. “Be a dearie and fetch some mugs.”

“Mother, I’m so glad to see you, it is the most extraordinary thing: the greatest find in pony history!” exclaimed the Doctor, returning his gaze to the carvings on the wall. “Can you imagine the implications?”

“Only too well,” Smith replied, cringing just a touch. She changed the subject. “Here, yall must have a powerful thirst aboutcha.”

Feigning a smile, Smith poured the water into mugs that Carrot brought, each of them taking one by the handle. Genuinely thirsty, the Doctor lifted the mug to his lips, but was once again distracted by his soon-to-be-famous discovery.

“I mean look,” he said, going back to the wall. “This section, it is like a battle plan.” In his excitement, the mug was forgotten, much to the priestess's chagrin.

“Here the Light... Here the Evil... and here-” He pointed to the Six Elements. ”-a weapon against Evil. Amazing! I am going to be famous.”

“Then let us toast to yer fame!” brightened Smith, seizing the opportunity.

“To fame!” agreed Carrot, hoisting her mug.

“To fame! Huzzah!" The Doctor raised his cup once more to his lips but paused, peering into the liquid with a frown. “We cannot toast with water. Carrot! In my sack... the aged cider!”

The Priestess watched, disconsolate, as the Doctor tossed away his water. Carrot downed her water first then hurried to find the bottle, taking her sketchpad with her.

A deep rumbled passed through the walls of the temple; too low to hear but it could be felt. The Doctor, once again engrossed in the hieroglyphics didn’t notice, but the Priestess, who stared with dissatisfaction into her cup, saw the ripples in the tainted water.

Outside, a monstrous sight disturbed the foals’ game, frightening them into a stupor. An ovoid spaceship several times larger than the temple itself descended onto the ruins. The world stopped outside save for the powerful rumbling and blinding flaring from the thrusters. Metallic tendrils peeled away from the ship and caressed the structure of the temple. Its descent came to an end. Had it landed, those watching probably could have fired up their brains to react, but instead it only paused, several yards from the ground. Its alien presence jutted from the canopy of Everfree and made the forest seem tame. The whole forest held its breath; no snakes moved, no birds flew. There was no fight or flight response for this. After what seemed like two eternities, a long protrusion extended itself from the ship, like the tail of a dragonfly that intended to mate with the temple entrance.

Waiting for Carrot Top, the Professor continued to scan over the most recent inscription. “This perfect pony... this perfect being... Wielder of the element of...” Doctor Hooves squinted his eyes, unable to recognize the symbol. “Blast! I can’t make it out.”

Smith removed herself from the stallion’s side, drawn to the noise. Taking a few steps she stopped as she noticed a shadow crawl across the wall of the corridor.

A chill ran through her. “Sweet Celestia. They’re here.”

Carrot Top had been looking intently for the cider in the Doctor's bag, going through it several times, running over his maps, books, tools and automatic pistol, but unbeknownst to her, the priestess’ poison was making it hard to concentrate. As she victoriously drew the bottle from the bags, she finally noticed the noise. The mare shook her head, thinking the sound was in her mind. Bag and bottle in hoof, she spun around on her haunches towards the entrance just in time to see the alien craft dock with the temple entrance. Startled, she dropped the bottle, which shattered across the floor, and fell back on her rump, the Doctor’s bag falling in her lap. Carrot’s brain shut down, one hoof in the bag and the other resting on the sketchpad beside her.

The dark metal of the ship was old and worn on the part of the ship Carrot could see; she subconsciously picked up her pad and, pencil in mouth, began to sketch. Six dark rings the size of a pony’s head, portholes into the ship’s airlock, formed a five point star on its structure, the sixth being the center. Steam leaked from hidden releases and condensation built up and ran down its surface. With a grinding screech, the docking mechanism crept forward a final time, completely filling the entrance and blocking out the rest of the light.

Shadows once again fell across the Doctors work. Closing his eyes, he sucked in air between his teeth. “Scootaloo! Light!”

The temple suddenly flooded with light, scattering the darkness, as it poured from the craft’s portholes.

“Ah that’s much better, thank you, Scoots.”

The young filly stared at her mirror in confusion, no words coming to her as her mind ground gears.

Shielding her eyes, the priestess moved forward and looked down the hall. “Mah lords.”

She watched as a door disengaged itself in a burst of steam and began to lower like a ramp. Liquid from the steam pooled in the interior of the airlock and ran down the ramp in tiny trickles only to be lapped up by the thirsty, dry stone of the temple. Creatures, deeply silhouetted against the blinding light, lumbered slowly down the ramp, the sound of metal on metal clanking with each of their steps.

Carrot pressed herself against the wall, in the shadow of a pillar, crouched, terrified, but sketching away like crazy as the armor clad aliens emerged from the spacecraft. The equines wore huge metal suits that made their movements cumbersome, and each step was slow and deliberate. Their armor was a dark bronze, old and worn much like the metal of the ship. Stripes of a darker grey covered the creatures, creating a sort of camouflage from head to hoof. Small blue lights graced each of their legs and cast strange illusions on the floor as they walked. Carrot sketched the multiple antennas protruding from their withers, but stopped when she got her first good look at their heads. Vents and tubes ran from muzzle to jaw, and ornate ridges framed the giant blue domes that covered their eyes. Paused in her sketching, Carrot wiped her forehead and began to blink rapidly, feeling the effects of the priestess's potion.

Giving the glyphs a final tap with his hoof, the Doctor dropped back down to all fours, saying, “This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen.”

Turning, the Doctor was stunned speechless to find himself face to face with three of the striped alien equines. Their strange heads moved mechanically, taking in the pony before them. A few others slowly filled in behind them, their massive suits making them walk at a grueling pace.

“Uh, um? Are you cyberponies?” mumbled the Doctor, barely able to keep his mind firing on all cylinders.

The thing before him gave him a confused look, which is quite a feat inside a suit, before shaking its head.

“Zebra Master,” Priestess Smith cried, seizing the opportunity to explain, “he was fixin’ ta discover ever’thin’, but Ah had the situation under control. Ah was gonna wipe their memories!” Her worried eyes scanned his non existent features hoping for a sign she had not failed.

The Zebra’s commander shuffled to face Smith.

“Priestess mare, you’ve done your work well,
And those before you, you’ve all been swell.
But war is coming, soon, to this place,
And here the elements are not safe.”

Turning back to the wall, the commander took a moment to scan its features. Finding what he sought, he raised a forehoof to the the wall and a key extended from it, on the end of which stood five intricate flanges, forming a star. Slowly he placed it into a crack that fit the key’s shape, and no sooner had it entered then the wall split along the keyhole. Doors several hooves thick slid and scraped along sand covered mechanisms. As their loud, grinding progress revealed a long, hidden hallway, the Doctor stared dumbfounded.

“This-” He gestured with a hoof, “-is really amazing.”

Remembering the professor, the commander nodded to one of his ponies. Understanding the command, the Zebra took a step towards the Doctor and blasted out a small cloud of sparkling green gas. The Zebra continued to watch the professor as he fell to the ground, and then the group proceeded past his limp form into hallway and the chamber beyond. Filled with shock herself, Priestess Smith stuck close to the commander and followed him inside.

As a group they entered the vast chamber, the priestess gasped at beholding the room she’d only heard stories about. Hundreds of pictograms and hieroglyphics decorated the walls, telling a story long forgotten. The vast domed ceiling seemed to emit a bright, unnatural light, and no shadows could be seen upon the ground. Five pillars sat around the edge of the room, aligned as the corners of a pentagon. Atop each was an eight inch stone sphere: the first five Elements of Harmony. In the center of the pillars, a platform rested where a strange, smooth and gray statue stood in the shape of a rearing pony, head and face screaming towards the sky.

Not a statue, but a sarcophagus. “The sixth element,” the priestess realized.

After taking in the moment, the commander gestured with a sweeping hoof. “Take the stones.”

Five Zebras retrieved the five stones, and a sixth presented a case into which they snugly fit. One of the Zebras brushed a hoof against the sarcophagus which glowed briefly with a shimmering iridescence before it lowered to its side and followed the him back to the ship, floating several hooves off the ground.

The Commander’s ponies proceeded back to the ship, escorting the stones, their mission nearly complete. They moved past the alcove that hid Carrot Top, who by now, thanks to the priestess's poison, was going out of her mind. Long done caring about their appearance, Carrot was rife with fear and armed with the Doctor’s pistol.

The Commander lingered and surveyed the chamber before his departure, while a new fear gripped the old mare.

“The elements? How will we do without their magic? How will we protect Equestria?”

“We will come back, but not so soon
With the elements, to fight the Dark Moon
In 300 years, when evil returns here
You shall find that we will reappear”

Carrot tumbled out of the alcove, a mess of tangled legs, before whirling and pointing the pistol at the bright and empty entrance to the ship. Her eyes dilated painfully in the ship’s bright light. Not seeing any of striped creatures, she got to her hooves and walked uneasily down the corridor towards the main hall. Pointing the pistol around the corner, she shakily entered the chamber and quickly noticed the Doctor. Upon seeing his prone form, Carrot stumbled over to the professor and shook his leg.


“Doctor Hooves!” Shaking the professor, she received no response. She spotted one of the creatures out of the corner of her eye, and then rose up on her hind legs to aim her pistol, blinking her eyes to focus. “Stop...uh...don’t move!”

Surprised, Smith moved to shield the Commander. How could she have forgotten about the orange maned mare?

“I... uh... have a gun!” The aforementioned orange maned mare dropped back down to four legs, clearly unstable. With great difficulty, she got back up on her hind hooves and steadied the weapon, looking wildly to each side for more attackers.


Slowly the priestess began to approach the crazed mare. “Carrot, young un’! Please understand! They are our friends!”

Carrot wiped her face, so very delirious. “Our friends?” She waved the gun wildly. “They... they’ve killed the doctor... they’re mo - monsters!”

The priestess walked closer to Carrot. “No Carrot, he’s just asleep,” she pleaded. “Ah can explain this. Look at me!”

Carrot began to back up, unsteady on just two hooves. “No... oh no, not you too mother. I -”

“Look at me!” Smith gestured emphatically, “Carrot, look at me! Please! Ah am your friend.” She dropped her hooves and began to carefully approach the mare. “Carrot, sweetie, jus’ put... the gun... down. Down. Jus’ let me explain!”

“No, I...” Losing her balance, Carrot stumbled backwards and tripped on the gear behind her, causing the gun to go off in her hooves.

“No!” Smith yelled as she threw herself to take the bullets, but her old bones could not move fast enough and she succeeded only in crashing to the ground.

Bullets flew everywhere, somehow missing the stumbling priestess, but several rounds danced across the armor clad Commander. With an alien cry he dropped to his front knees, shaking his head wildly. Before he recovered, Smith watched in horror as the doors began to close.

“Hurry master! The wall is closin!” she cried as she recovered and hurried past the doors.

Encumbered by his heavy suit, he could only move so fast, but there was time enough for one last thing.

“Listen to me closely, for here is your mission now.
Pass the knowledge on, to this you must vow.”

“Yes, yes! I will,” Smith begged. “There is still time! You must hurry!”

The Commander was just a pony’s length away.

“Time is of no importance, this you must see.
Our mission is to protect life and harmony.”

He raised a hoof forward, and again the key came forth. The priestess cringed and looked away as the Commander’s hoof was crushed in the door, trapping him on the other side. The key hung from the barely visible tip crushed hoof; the final unsaid request of the Commander was that it should be taken and guarded.

Following unknown orders, the ship’s engines hummed back to life, the docking platform closing and receding quickly as one. The tendrils hugging the temple withdrew and the deep thumping became an audible roar. Shielding her eyes from the blinding thrusters, the priestess emerged from the ruins, key in mouth.

“Ah will fulfill my mission!” she shouted over the din as she raised the key with her hoof. “You can count on me! Ah will pass the knowledge on until your return!”

With a final blinding flash, the ship shot back into the sky and far out of sight. The whole of the Everfree hung in a state of awe as its own wonder and mystery was dwarfed by the brief visitation.

Sitting on her rump, Priestess Smith watched as the craft disappeared through the clouds. An orange-coated pegasus filly came and sat by her side.

“That was so cool!” said the filly.

*~~~~~~~*

300 Years later...