• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,740 Views, 34 Comments

Deductive Synthesis - The_Watcher



mech/golem thing in equestria. Thats also human. This will be interesting. Chess Game of The Gods.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,740

Of Theories and Concepts

The day started as any other and why should it not? I was just enjoying a nice dream when that light coming through that one crack in the blinds that never failed to nail me in the eye jarred me from my sleep. 'Urg... cant the sun wait a few more minutes?' I groaned as I sat up and climbed out of my bed to my room, a mess of books and computer components nearly falling on my face on the way to the blinds. 'Just another day of running in circles.' I was done getting up early as I was retired a long time ago, the sun could suck it and screw roll call.

Ripping the offending blinds from the window I was immediately assaulted by vengeful sunlight.

"Urrggg... wont ever let up will you?" I Asked to no one in particular, not like I'd get an answer. I was kinda convinced the universe enjoyed screwing with me after a while. Some called me crazy for my cation but I deemed it "justified paranoia". I've been through enough to be paranoid. When my eyes finally adjusted I found it was a rather vibrant morning, as if an apology to the awakening. The sky was colored a bright red, the sun just cresting over the horizon, yet somehow not failing to spread it's radiant light. The birds where chirping their morning calls and the deer grazed in the early light. All in all, a pleasant morning for someone who enjoyed the outdoors such as I. If I had to chose between a cave in the middle of nowhere and an apartment in the city, I'd chose the cave. They where just more comfortable in my opinion. Ironic statement, yes I'm aware but this is my opinion not yours.

So far the days been good, except for that blasted raccoon I'd been trying to catch for some time now was in my yard. As soon as I grab my rifle the beast scampers off, the thing just won't die. Darn menace couldn't stay out my garden, both the normal and the zen variant. Sorry, off on a tangent. Twas like any other day. After working on a few of those computers I mentioned earlier and finishing the daily paperwork from the US department of defense I decided to visit the town library. It was what I did on my days off. No sense in breaking the combo.

As I approached my Silver Dodge Charger in the front driveway I got that all too familiar feeling of being watched. This was private property a mile from any other human, you don't just happen to find my house in the woods. I spun on my heals pulling my revolver I carried at all times in a practiced reflexive motion, cocking it in the process. I scanned the forest hoping the culprit would spook at the motion but nothing but the falling leaves stirred. I stood tensed like that a whole minute before sighing and holstering my revolver, finding no evidence of anyone but me here. The damned shadows are laughing at me I can feel it.

"Calm down. Your just hearing things as always. You haven't been ambushed in two years, there's no reason anyone would attack now." I was lying of course. I couldn't explain it but something felt distinctively off today. I didn't like it one bit. I decided to walk to the library instead of driving, walks always clear my head. Didn't stop me from looking over my shoulder every ten seconds though, my hand resting on the revolver the whole time.

It took me about two hours of trekking through dirt forest roads to reach town. All the while I only grew more restless, I had half pulled my revolver twice and nearly killed a rabbit on one occasion. I was, as many pointed out, intimidating. I had medical bandages over my whole face and hands only the top of my head, my dark brown hair springing up where it ended, and my right eye where visible. I had lost my left eye a long time ago in a particularly heated firefight and the left half of my face was heavily scared so I opted to just wear the bandages permanently. I had unnaturally bright green irises and people tended to avoid my gaze. They said I had the eyes of a sniper, picking out every detail of everything. I didn't say they where wrong. I was hardly ever seen without my signature brown trench coat, an assortment of weapons hidden within. One of which was my combat knife, saved my life too many times to part with it. I'd been here some time though so the people of this quaint town had gotten used to me, however today they seemed to be avoiding me as I walked through town. Just want I needed, to be shunned on my bad day. Really not helping.

"Hold up son." The town officer Jackson, or Jack as the townsfolk called him amusingly, said as I passed.

"I know that look. Is something wrong? I mean no offense being the veteran you are but the way your holding that six shooter makes me mighty nervous."

'I'm still clutching my gun aren't I? Yup...figures.' I slowly moved my hand back down to my side.

"yes, I'm fine. Just a rough morning, thought I heard someone outside my house and you know what that implys. Old habits die hard after all." Holding my gun in the middle of town and got sighted by the law. Not my best day but I've had much worse.

"I see. Well be careful now. You looked like you where expecting a SWAT team to show up."

"Indeed. I'll see you another time." I needed to head towards the library anyway. 'SWAT, ha, least of my problems. But he's right why am I so riled up? I'm calmer than this when actually in a firefight so why am I on edge? I've taken down whole platoons with less stress. This is giving me a headache.' I sprinted the remainder of the way to the library.

Upon entering the surprisingly large library I stalked up to the reception desk in my usual manner. The current attender had blond hair and wore a simple white uniform most librarians wear, Matilda I think her name was, she was arranging books and appeared to not hear me approach. This was nothing new, it had a tendency of happening to me. It was both amusing and vexing.

"Pardon." At my voice she practically sprung three feet in the air.

"Wwaahhh! Oh..... its you...." she was now squirming under my view as she turned to meet me, visibly flinching when she looked into my eyes. She rather be anywhere than here it seemed, I wish someone could just smile when I said hello for once. I noticed she was clenching and unclenching her fist and had difficulty staying still, a sign of nervousness. Her brown eyes where shifty and wouldn't make eye contact after the initial occurrence.

"Is there any new books under the Wilderness or Technology section?" I needed some new material. I enjoyed reading, helped me further my knowledge. It was also a great way to distract myself and relax which I could use about now.

"Err...nothing under technology but we...uhh...Had some new books under wilderness arrive yesterday, you can...uhh...find it at the far right on the shelf." I hate it when they stutter, makes them sound like idiots.

"Thank you for your assistance." I didn't miss the sigh as I turned away. Apparently I'm scary, at least more than usual, when nervous. It's to be expected I suppose, not much I could do about it.

After selecting my book I walked over to a little arm chair in the back corner that I practically had reserved. I came to the library often and when someone needed me this is where they would check after my house. They even set up a lamp one day which was kind of them, I had to wonder if it was because they where afraid of me although... The chair next to me was almost never used when I was around, definitely a fear factor. This only served to distance me further, didn't help my social skills much.

I read a book on herbs in Russia. Why? No idea. I finished some time later after reading 20K words in a hour, a new record. Out of books I proceeded to watch a particular show on my trusty gaming laptop I kept on my person for when I wanted to surf or some other thing. You guessed it MLP:FiM because why the hell not, most people already thought I was crazy so whats the point? I really enjoyed the show, fanfics, and the community. Needless to say pony often preoccupied my thoughts when I wasn't in business mode or working on a project. As I watched winter wrap up again my previous anxiety was forgotten. Suddenly I notice a shadow coming from my left.

"So your one of those brony people?" A women I had not seen Until that point says. I mentally flinched at her sudden appearance.

I tensed up by the question. I had not heard her approach. She wasn't there before I know it. I was a black belt in several techniques and an army vet not to mention a hunter yet a girl in a quite library sneaks up on me? Unheard of. I heard rabbits scurrying outside when inside my house. It's like she came out of nowhere. She also didn't seem afraid of me which was unusual. I put down my book and put all my focus on this new women. I didn't recolonize her either, she wasn't a local. She was patiently waiting for an answer, how polite.

"Yes I suppose I am, why?" She was meeting my gaze unflinchingly. I like this one.

She was tall and thin wearing a simple gray dress with dirty blond hair. she looked a bit like a school teacher and carried an air of authority around her. She had simple shoes, not heels thank god those things are pointless. She seemed normal at first glance but something was off about her. She also had piercing silver eyes and carried a book on owls, I like owls, she reminded me of someone but who? It would come to me later.

"Nothing just curious, I like ponies."

'Oh? This just got more interesting.' "I see, who's your favorite?"

"I like Twilight, you?" she said as she sat down in the chair next to mine.

"I like them all, each one is special in their unique ways, but more importantly they all have flaws as well. One must be open to diversity and understand that nobody's perfect. Everything about someone it important and is to be acknowledged, good or bad. Oh sorry guess that might be going deeper than you wanted."

She simply smirked at my response. "No Its OK, Its actually rather fitting. Anyway, I must ask, why do you talk like that? Are you really from here?" Just great.

"Not this town but yes. I'm a Texan born and raised, on a farm in fact. As for my speech this is just how I talk." I was seriously getting tired of people asking me that.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I was offending." I didn't reply. He apology was a reflex rather than sincere. Very business like.

We continued to talk about other ideology's for a while. Few people know my philosophical ways but war has a way of making you think about things. She would constantly ask me about my opinions and beliefs, almost felt like an interview more than a chat. By now I knew she was testing me on something. What? I have no clue. But I had nothing better to do so I played along. We talked for a while about several pony related things she tried to say nonchalantly but there was a seriousness in her voice. It was the ruse of someone who was serious at almost all times. Why was she hiding it? She then asked a very odd question.

"If you could go to Equestria would you?" she's longer playing, she wanted a real answer.

That was not what I expected her to ask. Interesting question none the less, every bronys thought about it at least once I would think. What about me though?..... "Yes I would, my life is rather stagnant and.... unstable. But the chances of that are unlikely."

She raised an eyebrow to this "Unlikely, not impossible?"

"I don't like the word impossible." I did the "impossible" more than a few times when I was in service.

"What about family, friends?" she asks

"Don't have any." My parents died as well as any relatives I had and what friends I had where long gone living their dreams or dead in the ground.

"Say you couldn't go as a pony what would you go as?" This was getting a little too specific. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

The questions kept getting stranger it seemed. I paused to think the questioned over for a moment before replying. 'Zebra? To similar. Dragon? Inconvenient. Griffin? Nah. D-dog? Possibly. Got to have hands. Alicorn? Too easy. Shape shifter? Oh now that's a good one but probably cheating. So what then?' Then a light bulb turned on.

"Dose it have to be something in Equestria?"

She thinks for a moment as if unsure. "No I suppose not."

Checkmate. "The Artimus Suit." It was something of my own creation. I know a lot about machines and play a lot of games so I tend to daydream. But I cant stop there, when I think something up there has to be a explanation so I end up writing a small book on each of my creations and often draw them out or make a clay model. Made a plant from Greenland once gave it a name, genus, chemical makeup, how it survives, how it reproduces, and its uses.

The Artimus was a variant of the UE-117, a combination of the varia suit from Metriod, Nano-suit from Crysis, and some M.J.O.L.N.I.R. armor for Spartans in the halo series for good measure. The Artimus, however, involved magic, which is handy for explaining some of the more annoying aspects of the suits core components. Small thing though, it wasn't a suit. There is not a human on the inside but it is a creature itself, it looks synthetic enough from the outside but if you where to crack it open (highly unlikely) you wouldn't be able to tell biological from the non-biological. Its a fusion of the two I dubbed "Bio-maniacal Synergetics", I had often worked with prosthetics and had a degree as a biomedical engineer back before the military recruited me so I knew a thing or two, the suits power delivery system mimics the human nervous system in and of itself working as both the endocrine, nervous, and cardiovascular system in one. I am a man of balance however so the suit has its flaws, intentionally designed, and I never said being in the suit didn't have drawbacks.

Being a weapon smith also meant it had a few toys not from the games.

She smirked "An interesting choice, but I must ask why?"

"Just cause." I loved that saying, it implys doing something because it's right or doing it for just the hell of it. All in interpretation. In this case the later however. But she said that like she knew what I was talking about. Not a good sign. No one knew about the suit, it was one of my fantasy projects.

"Very well. You will make a fine subject in the games." She said and started to glow in a silver light. Well then, that's new. Games? I had just read a trilogy on a certain games and I'm wasn't to happy about experiencing something similar. I tried to move planning a classic action roll but found I couldn't move. I was surrounded in a silver aura and my skin was starting tingle. I'm was so screwed at this point.

"This conversation wasn't theoretical was it." I say in more of a statement than a question. This day has officially hit my top ten worst/most interesting days.

"Nope, have a nice trip. Try to be careful." A lot of words came to mind to describe this women.

Darkness formed at the ends of my vision, I was out before I hit the ground. There was only void after that.