• Published 1st Aug 2020
  • 2,784 Views, 65 Comments

Crimson Heart - Starkeeper_Ponyfic



Discord's battle with the Elements pulls a certain determined human into Equestria. Shenanigans ensue.

  • ...
5
 65
 2,784

Arc 1, Part 5: Birthday Tensions

Author's Note:

Hey all, I could not be more sorry for leaving you hanging for so long. Now, I have both good and bad news. The bad news is that I can't figure out how to write It's About Time so I'm probably going to scrap that chapter. The good news is that I have basically the entire emotional climax of A Canterlot Wedding for Frisk and especially Chara entirely mapped out PLUS some ideas on how to get another Undertale character, whose identity I will say nothing about other than that it isn't Sans, involved in the story. I'll put the Canterlot Wedding stuff below the line in spoilers if you're really interested.


Chrysalis begins draining Frisk's love and, in line with a headcanon I have that changelings can see memories strongly tied to their meal's love for a person, sees the memory of Asriel where he and Frisk are hugging and calls him pathetic. This causes Chara to completely snap and take over Frisk's body momentarily to give Chrysalis a well-deserved beatdown of both physical and verbal nature, revealing their identity to Frisk in the process. VERY excited to write this scene.

“What? No, I’m not washing that cheek,” Spike pouted, walking away from Twilight with an obvious attempt to keep her washcloth away from his cheek.

“Spike...” Twilight groaned. “It’s filthy, and you’re going to get it cleaned. Right. Now. Frisk, help me out,” Twilight pleaded.

“Hey, Frisk is on my side... Right?” Spike begged.

Frisk chuckled, barely looking up from their comic book. “Hm... I’m gonna stay neutral on this. Have fun!” they cackled mischievously. Spike’s face fell as Twilight raised the washcloth and he darted away, attempting to flee, but Twilight rolled her eyes as she teleported him back, only for Spike to run away. They repeated the maneuver several times until Twilight shot Spike behind her and slipped the washcloth on his cheek to rub all the grime and the kiss off.

Spike crossed his arms and grumbled as Frisk giggled and tossed him a party hat. Twilight pulled one out for herself and one for Frisk, in addition to hats for the other Element bearers.

Pinkie Pie was the first to arrive, popping out of one of the bookshelves and slipping on her party hat with a giggle and bearing a wrapped gift. Fluttershy appeared shortly after, carrying a present of her own, Rainbow Dash flew in with a dumbbell wrapped in a ribbon, and Applejack and Rarity finished off the group. They all cheered, “Happy birthday, Spike!” and offered him their presents. Frisk slipped out a slim box of their own and pushed it toward him.

“Thanks, everyone!” Spike grinned. “Um... what do I do with them?”

Frisk frowned. “Uh... open them?” they offered. “That’s kinda what you do with birthday presents?”

“Oh... yeah... Um... Yeah, Twilight usually just gives me one book for my birthday,” Spike muttered.

“Heh heh heh...” Twilight giggled, levitating said book behind her. “I’ll just be over here...”

Spike opened Frisk’s gift first to pull out a hand-drawn comic book with a familiar character on the cover.

“Woah, this looks amazing, Frisk!” he chattered excitedly.

“I started drawing it after our first O&O session once I started getting an idea of Garbunkle’s character. The comic’s sort of an origin story I made up about how he got his magic and started gaining the respect of everyone around him,” Frisk explained.

“This looks amazing, Frisk!” Spike breathed. “Definitely gonna look at it later!”

“Wait, so you love it when Frisk gives you a book, but when I give you one you complain?” Twilight muttered.

“Yeah... but... pictures,” Spike mumbled. Frisk and the ponies giggled in response. Applejack pushed her green box over and Spike pulled out an apple-printed blanket and grinned. “Thanks, Applejack, this looks amazing!”

“Y’all are quite welcome,” Applejack nodded. “Ah figure since fall’s comin’ up soon it might be good to get y’all somethin’ warm... though Ah suppose y’all are a dragon. I s’pose y’all may not actually need it with y’all’s... fire breath ‘n’ all.”

“Hey, I appreciate it anyway!” Spike assured. “Besides, sometimes it’s cold enough that I need both a blanket and my fire breath.”

“Here, Spike, I know you said you accidentally burned your pillow a little while ago, and some of my bird friends were kind enough to give me their molted down feathers to make you a new one!” Fluttershy offered. A thick, fluffy pillow was pulled from the box to Spike’s delight.

He laid on the pillow to test it out and sighed in contentment. “This is... so amazing... I’m never getting up...”

“Well, ya gotta get up to get the present the Cakes made for you, silly!” Pinkie giggled.

Spike pushed himself up reluctantly and grabbed the slip of paper Pinkie offered him while he blew the dust off his scales. “Uh... thanks for the dumbbell, Rainbow,” he offered. “What’s your present, Rarity?”

“Ah... Well, your gift of the fire ruby to me inspired me so to create something to go along with it! So, I present... my new line of taffeta capes!” Rarity announced, pulling out a light magenta cloak and a small green one. “This green one is for you, Spikey-Wikey!”

"Thanks, Rarity! It looks amazing!" Spike sighed. "Well, I'm gonna go see what the Cakes have for me. Thank you for the gifts, everyone!”

The ponies nodded with smiles and Frisk flashed Spike a thumbs-up before going back to read the comic book they didn’t make.

❤︎

The next morning, Frisk awoke with a satisfied yawn. They rubbed their eyes and grinned as Celestia’s morning sun shone on their face before noticing an absence. Their hand flew to their neck to check before they looked around their bed to make sure it hadn’t fallen off in their sleep. They started panicking when they couldn’t find the Heart Locket and they rushed to look out in the main room when they heard a crash. An enormous pile of books, maps, and various items that hadn’t been attached to the ground sat on the floor in front of Twilight’s bed.

Before Frisk could ask what was going on, Spike crawled out clutching a globe and hissing at Twilight, taller and lankier than he should be.

“Frisk! Thank Celestia you’re awake! I don’t know what’s gotten into Spike, he’s just grabbing whatever he can carry and won’t let me get any of it!” Twilight sputtered.

“My locket’s gone, too!” Frisk cried. A sudden glint hit their eyes as the sun bounced off the golden chain of the locket. Frisk hurried up the stairs and went to grab it from Spike’s pile, but they were interrupted by a swipe of his claws and a guttural noise of anger erupted from his throat.

DON’T TOUCH!” he demanded.

“Spike... that’s my locket...” Frisk murmured. “I just...”

DON’T! TOUCH!” Spike yelled, slapping their hand down when they reached for it.

Frisk felt hurt and incredibly betrayed. “Spike. Just give me the–”

MINE!” Spike screamed, shoving Frisk away.

Frisk started getting legitimately angry, and they stepped forward, their soul materializing. They repeated, more firmly this time, “Spike, I just want...”

Spike’s eyes bugged out as he saw Frisk’s soul. “Shiny... Want...” he murmured, a green shine coating his eyes as he gazed at it. He reached out in an attempt to grab Frisk’s soul and managed to clasp his claws around it.

Frisk cried in pain as 5 HP of damage was dealt and self-defense kicked in. The Tough Glove materialized on their fist as it swung toward Spike and planted itself on his chest. He gasped in pain as half his HP was lost and his grip on Frisk’s soul faded. The green shine left his eyes and he shrunk down to his normal size. When Frisk realized what they had done, they bolted out the door after grabbing the locket from Spike’s pile, tears streaking their eyes.

Spike gazed at his claws and whimpered. “I... I didn’t mean to... I don’t know what got into me,” he squeaked. “I... Agh, that really hurt... Twilight, what do I do?” he begged.

Twilight frowned. “I think the best thing we can do is figure out what happened to you so we know how to deal with any... relapses, and then... and then I think you should apologize,” she offered. “I’m gonna teleport us to Canterlot. Hopefully, Princess Celestia will know what’s going on,” Twilight murmured before zapping herself and Spike to the castle courtyard. She allowed Spike a moment to climb on her back and herself another to recover before galloping to the nearest guard. “Hello, sir, my name is Twilight Sparkle and I’m Princess Celestia’s protege. I need to speak with her, do you know where I can find her?” she asked.

The guard regarded her sternly. “My apologies, miss, but I’m under strict orders to only allow those directly approved by Captain Shining Armor to approach the princess. I will have to escort you from the castle unless you have definitive proof of the captain’s approval,” he apologized.

Twilight sighed. “I understand. Well, thank you for your ti–”

“Twilight!” a warm voice called. “It’s been so long!”

“Cadance?” Twilight gasped. “Is that you?”

“It’s so wonderful to see you!” Cadance confirmed, trotting over to Twilight and the guard. “Thank you for your diligence, Officer, but know that Miss Twilight and her dragon friend Spike here are to be allowed in at any time.”

“Ah, of course, Princess Cadenza. I will take note of this in the future,” the guard replied with a bow before allowing the mares some privacy.

“I haven’t seen you in years!” Twilight laughed as she gave her former foalsitter an earnest hug. “What brings you to Canterlot?”

“Well, my wedding’s coming up soon and Aunt Tia offered to officiate the proceedings here,” Cadance explained.

“You’re getting married?” Twilight exclaimed. “Who’s the lucky stallion?”

“Didn’t Shining Armor tell you?” Cadance asked in confusion. “I would have thought it would’ve come up at least on your birthday.”

“Wait... You’re saying... You’re getting married to... my brother?” Twilight gaped.

“He didn’t tell you, did he?” Cadance sighed.

“Nope,” Spike muttered. “Twilight, why don’t we go figure out what’s happening to me first, and then you can chew your brother out?” he offered.

“Let’s... do that...” Twilight relented. “Do you know where Princess Celestia is?”

“Oh, um... Last time I saw her, she was... Let’s see, down that hall, take the first right, and she should be in the room behind the tenth door to your left,” Cadance remembered.

“Thanks, Cadance!” Twilight smiled before following said directions.

Once Twilight was out of sight, Cadance turned to look for a guard to assign back to the door, but a hoof tapped on her back. She was faced with a mirror image of herself when she turned and staggered back in confusion. The pony in front of Cadance was a perfect replica of her, except...

The pony had malicious, slitted, startlingly green eyes. A green glow encapsulated Cadance’s replica to reveal a buglike equine with a hole-peppered horn and legs. “Shh...” the shapeshifter’s harmonized voice murmured. “Stay quiet, and this will be easier, Princess...”

A powerful spell put Cadance to sleep, and Queen Chrysalis dragged the princess via teleport to the Canterlot caves so none would find her until it was too late. Then the changeling queen redonned her costume and reappeared in Cadance’s place. Phase One of the invasion was complete.

❤︎

In Celestia’s room, Twilight and Spike finished explaining the last half hour’s events to Celestia.

“Well, I can say that this is not an unknown phenomenon among dragons,” Celestia sighed. “I should have told you sooner, but I hoped that his youth might pass without such an incident. In simplest terms, a dragon’s growth can be accelerated by greed. Remember the dragon who blew smoke over Ponyville?” Celestia asked, eliciting a nod from Twilight. “Most dragons will not grow much larger than I, but his size had been exponentially increased by his need to increase his hoard. By his greed.”

“So... Spike could’ve grown that large if left unchallenged?” Twilight realized.

“And it may have been permanent if he was not confronted soon enough,” Celestia confirmed. “But... where did Frisk go?”

“I’m not sure. We teleported away right after Spike recovered from... well, from being punched,” Twilight explained. “We didn’t really take any time to look for Frisk... I hope they’re okay. They seemed pretty upset.”

“Well, take the next train back. Since Spike has returned to normal, he shouldn’t have any more episodes,” Celestia decided, “but contact me or Luna immediately if he does.”

“Sure thing, Princess,” Twilight nodded before putting Spike on her back and galloping out to the station to catch the next train.

❤︎

Saying Frisk was upset would be the understatement of the decade. They sat in the ruins of the courtyard of the Castle of the Two Sisters cradling their knees with a broken expression on their tear-streaked face. Their narrator was making an attempt to be soothing but wasn't having much progress.

*C'mon, Frisk, it's not that bad. You didn't hurt him permanently, and it wasn't intentional. I'm sure he's already forgiven you, they reasoned.

Frisk couldn't find a logical retort, so they just resorted to a reply of Just let me feel bad, okay?

*Sure, their narrator chuckled.

The pseudo-lecture had made Frisk feel slightly better, and they were mentally preparing to leave and face Spike and Twilight before the tapping of hooves passed the entrance. Frisk peeked out to find an equine patterned a great deal like a zebra.

“...Hello,” Frisk offered.

The zebra stepped back, startled, and took a thorough look at Frisk before looking like they decided Frisk wasn’t an immediate threat. "Greetings... Many creatures I have met, but one like you I've not seen yet," they said in an almost hypnotically even voice.

“I’m a human,” Frisk explained. “My name’s Frisk. You?”

"I am Zecora, but, little Frisk, to enter this forest was quite a risk," Zecora rhymed. “What brought you then, to a place such as here? Was it curiosity, or perhaps was it fear?”

Frisk sighed. “I... I accidentally hurt one of my friends without thinking and I... just needed some time alone with my thoughts.”

“I understand, it truly is hard, for hurting a friend turns one’s heart to shards,” Zecora nodded.

*This isn’t a poem, right? What’s with the rhyming? Frisk’s narrator muttered.

"Who is the owner of this new voice I hear?” Zecora asked. “This voice is muted, yet still quite clear."

“...You can hear them?” Frisk asked. “They’re my narrator slash personal ghost friend.”

*Well... you’re... not explicitly wrong, I guess.

Zecora blinked. “My apologies, but say that again? Did you say they were your ghostly friend?”

“Well, I assume they’re a ghost based on a few things I know and they’ve let on. Still haven’t learned their name, but I mean...” Frisk trailed off, hopeful that their narrator would reveal their name.

*Frisk, you’re not getting my name. It... doesn’t really matter... Not anymore.

“Never mind then!” Frisk chuckled.

Zecora joined Frisk’s laughter. “Well, it seems you two are quite good friends. Just... get home before the day ends. Creatures prowl when the sky turns black, and your size would make you an... enticing snack.”

“Understood. It was nice meeting you, Zecora!” Frisk smiled.

“And you as well,” Zecora nodded before trotting off into the forest, occasionally stopping to pick a root or vine and slip it into a basket. After Frisk took a moment to gather their thoughts and joke with their narrator a bit, they sighed and walked off to find functioning civilization again.

That plan failed spectacularly when a pair of timberwolves started chasing them. They got a distinct impression of deja vu from memories of their fight with Undyne– running for their life through a heavily natural area with a great deal of undergrowth being not how they wanted to spend their morning. The major difference was that these wolves were fast and ruthless. Undyne’s armor had at least slowed her down and she could be reasoned with slightly to weaken her attacks, but the timberwolves were animals, operating on pure, bloodthirsty instinct. Frisk was only barely faster than the wolves but had a great deal less stamina, and their legs started giving out before sudden flashes of orange and yellow whizzed by them toward the timberwolves. Frisk paused and turned around, quickly gathering that Applejack and Fluttershy had heard the wolves and Frisk’s cries of fear and came to help. Applejack was being typically tough and nimble, but Fluttershy was almost unrecognizable from the timid mare once scared of her own shadow. She was vicious in her attacks and Frisk was momentarily concerned that Fluttershy had been replaced.

Frisk urgently pleaded, Narrator, check Fluttershy because–

*Don’t worry, already on it, their narrator reassured. Fluttershy ATK 2 DEF 5 - Just Fluttershy, only she’s mad and defensive. Try not to invoke this side of her against you.

You’re telling me, Frisk half-smiled while watching. Eventually the wolves were turned to piles of sticks that began to glow green by the time Fluttershy and Applejack made sure Frisk was okay and they had the sense to hurry back to Fluttershy’s cottage before the wolves could fully re-form.

“What in tarnation were y’all doin’ in the Everfree?” Applejack demanded. “Y’all know it ain’t safe!”

“Applejack has a point,” Fluttershy pointed out.

Frisk bit their lip and rubbed their arms. “I... I just needed some time to think. Something weird happened with Spike that made him start taking anything not attached to the floor and that included my locket and I... I accidentally hurt him when he wouldn’t give it back so... I just ran,” Frisk tearfully admitted. “Sat in the Castle of the Two Sisters for a while until I met a zebra named Zecora and then when I started heading back the whole timberwolf thing happened.”

Fluttershy offered Frisk a hug. “So, what did you think of Zecora?”

“You know Zecora?” Frisk asked.

Flutterhy and Applejack nodded. “We all used to be, ah... a little scared of her, but Apple Bloom got us on friendly terms a bit before y’all came to Equestria,” Applejack explained.

“Huh. Well, she was pretty nice. Spoke in rhyme, and... er, well, yeah, she was nice,” Frisk nodded, electing not to talk about how Zecora could actually hear their narrator, considering Applejack and Fluttershy didn’t know about them. “Um... Well, I should probably go check on Twilight and Spike... I guess.”

“See you soon,” Fluttershy replied with a grin. “Don’t get attacked by timberwolves on your way out.”

“I don’t plan to,” Frisk chuckled.

❤︎

Twilight and Spike were about to leave in search of Frisk when they showed up at the library with an incredibly regretful look on their face.

“Hey, Spike... I’m...” Frisk started, but couldn’t finish before Spike squeezed them in a hug.

“I’m so sorry, Frisk! I couldn’t control my greed and I never should’ve taken your locket!” Spike sputtered out.

Frisk offered a tiny smile and embraced their friend. “I thought I was the one supposed to apologize,” they murmured. “I was the one who punched you.”

“Yeah, but... I took your locket and I grabbed your soul. And it’s not your fault you defended yourself,” Spike reasoned.

“Heh... Maybe. Maybe not. But... is it gonna happen again?” Frisk asked.

“Princess Celestia says it probably won’t, but I do plan to keep a close eye on him just in case,” Twilight promised.

“You know... after running from timberwolves, I’m tired,” Frisk decided. “I’m gonna take a nap, wake me up when lunch is ready,” they murmured, stumbling to their bed.