• Published 1st Aug 2020
  • 193 Views, 5 Comments

Snow’s Quick(Write) Quill - Snow Quill



Sometimes with quick writes you don’t hit 1,000 words.

  • ...
0
 5
 193

Gently!

Author's Note:

My second place winning entry into the ‘Gently’ prompt quick write, for which I shamelessly stole as the name for this story as I (still) don’t know how to title it.

Written in an hour and edited only for typos and formatting.

Sugar Belle bit her lip.“And you are sure you can handle him for a few days?”

Rainbow grinned, “Of course! Kids love me!”

Applejack glanced sideways at her enthusiastic wife before looking at her sister in law. “Ah promise it’ll be alright. Now go on, git! Y’all need this vacation.”

Big Mac heaved a soft sigh and nodded, the bags under his eyes making him look sleepier than normal. “Eyup.”

Sugar Belle stifled a yawn herself and shook herself. “You're right, I just... oh, I know I’m gonna miss him so much…” She nuzzled her three month old foal. “Momma will be back soon dear, I promise.”

She sniffled and reluctantly passed him off to Applejack. “Y’all have a good weekend now, we’ll see you come Monday.”

“We will, see you then!”

Applejack and Rainbow waved them off, Rainbow waiting until the cab was no longer in sight before grabbing the foal from Applejack and taking to the air. She hovered just out of Applejack’s reach, nuzzling the foal. “Now this is what I’m talking about! A whole weekend of awesomeness with the little one. Who’s gonna do awesome things with the awesome Rainbow Dash, you are, yes, it’s you!”

“Consarn it Rainbow Dash! Be careful!”

Rainbow rolled her eyes, “Don’t get your hat into a bunch AJ, I’m a pro with kids.”

The pegasus flashed her winning grin, usually reserved for the cameras after a Wonderbolt performance.

Applejack chewed on her lip nervously, watching her closely. “N-now don’t go too high there. Remember, ya gotta be gentle with a foal.”

Rainbow didn’t respond, focused now on the little purple and orange bundle in her hooves. The foal cooed and babbled, flailing his tiny hooves at her.

Rainbow chuckled and tossed him up a bit, much to the foals’ delight and Applejack’s horror.

“Rainbow Ah swear on my parents grave if you drop my nephew Ah’m-“

“First off, our nephew. Second, yeah yeah, I won’t be able to fly, I’ll be lucky to walk, blah blah.”Rainbow smirked down at her, “You gave Spitfire the same speech when she offered to take Apple Bloom up for a flight.”

“An’ it applies to this.”

Rainbow sighed and tossed the bundle up once more, catching him and floating to the ground. Applejack rushed over and practically ripped him from Rainbow’s hooves, fretting over her nephew and looking for any sign of discomfort or injury.

Rainbow nuzzled Applejack, pressing against her side and wrapping a wing over her, turning on the charm. “Hey, I swear, I’m not gonna let anything happen to the little squirt. I’ll be next in line to make sure anyone who hurts one little hair on his body is buried in the depths of Tartarus.”

Applejack snorted. “Right after Sugar Belle, Big Mac, me, an Applebloom.”

“Hey, gotta save the best for last.”

Applejack sighed and leaned into her, gently bouncing the laughing foal. “Well, he ain’t too scared or nothing at least.”

“Of course he isn’t! A flight with Rainbow Dash is the best!” She had the good grace to look chastised at Applejack’s glare. “Alright, alright, no more high flying.”

“Good. Let’s get back inside, it’s almost nap time.”

Rainbow stretched, “You’re telling me! I’m waaaay behind on my naps already thanks to training.”

Applejack rolled her eyes, “Ah mean for little’n here.”

“Oh, of course. But, I can get a nap too, right?”

Applejack chuckled and nodded at the farmhouse. “Go and git the livin’ room set up with all the pillows and blankets you can find.”

Rainbow whooped, kissed her cheek, and took off in a triail of rainbow and dust.

Applejack glanced down at the foal and shook her head with an smile. He yawned and wiggled in her hoof as she started towards the house.

By the time she made it into the living room, it was like one of Pinkie’s impromptu sleepover cannons exploded and covered the room with fluffy pillows and plush blankets.

Applejack stepped carefully to the middle and carefully hoofed him to Rainbow so she could make a little cradle for him to sleep in, just to keep him safe.

“You don’t think that’s a little...excessive? He isn’t exactly a newborn anymore.”

“Oh hush, Ah won’t be able to sleep if Ah think he might be in danger.”

“Alright, alright.”

When it was finished, he was placed into the little basin of blankets, Applejack carefully laying down beside it.

Rainbow zoomed off again for a moment before coming back to flop on the other side of the cradle, half curling around it on her side as she held up a few foal bedtime stories in hoof.

Applejack glared at her again for her recklessness, but softened when she saw the books. “Good idea. Celestia knows he gets cranky without being read too.”

Rainbow smirked, “I know. I told you I’m good with kids AJ. Don’t you think I deserve some sort of..., reward perhaps?”

She puckered her lips, making Applejack shake her head in amusement. “Well...Aw shucks, get over here you.”

They laughed and shared a gentle kiss before lying back with Rainbow’s wings holding a book up.

“Once upon a time…”