• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 17,455 Views, 466 Comments

Sabbatical - mbulsht



A centuries-old law comes into play one day mandating that Celestia take a vacation from her duties. Meanwhile, various ponies begin experiencing romantic frustration as Hearts and Hooves Day draws near

  • ...
46
 466
 17,455

Masks

Yo if you're wondering why this took so long to update refer to my blog post entitled "So... how about those updates, huh?"

-mbulsht

=-=-=
#-#-#
=-=-=

Sabbatical
Chapter 02
“Masks”

Rarity certainly was perceptive, Twilight would give her that. She was a fair judge of character, but she could always tell when a friend of hers was down. Even if they were trying to hide it.

And Twilight had certainly been trying to hide it.

So naturally she was a tad uncomfortable spending some time alone with Rarity, something she considered as she shifted in the mud bath she was currently lounging in.

Rarity had taken her by surprise in the early morning, waking her up in her library home with a loud rapping at the door. She had answered the door, mane unkempt and coat ruffled from her bed covers, only to be bombarded with her marshmallow white friend insisting that they take the morning off together. Something about a special down at the local spa. With Hearts and Hooves day coming up, the Spa Sisters, those devilish twins, were offering discounts for mares wanting to spruce up for dates. Twilight had refused at first, of course. There were things to do. There were always things to do. Inventory of books, list making, not to mention preparing for the upcoming Festival. But Rarity had waved them all away and insisted.

And when Rarity absolutely insists upon something, one way or another you eventually end up giving in.

So now she found herself lying beside her friend in a luxurious bath, trying to wave off questions that were both uncomfortable to hear, and distressing to know were coming from Rarity.

“W-well it’s not like I’m lonely or anything,” said Twilight.

Rarity was looking expectantly at her and seemed disappointed at her answer as to why she had remained single her entire stay in Ponyville.

“It has been a year since you’ve moved here, and not a single date!” Rarity clutched a forehoof to her breast. She half-swooned sideways into the mud bath. “I can only imagine the crushing loneliness.”

“Rarity, there is no crushing loneliness.”

“Twilight, come on, you don’t think that we, your friends,” she said, gesturing wildly at nopony in particular around them, “don’t notice? How you sigh longingly when you think we’re not looking? How you’re always skittish and a tad bitter as Hearts and Hooves day comes around each year?”

“Well of course I’d be short with ponies during Hearts and Hooves Day!” exclaimed Twilight, making a small flippant splash in their mud bath. “Like any other holiday, I see business at the library rise a bit, I have to help ponies make plans for big events, and I’ve got all my friends absolutely insisting that I take time off to spend a morning or afternoon with them!”

“I’m not saying that your life is easy, I’m merely asking you to look deeper within yourself to examine the emotional reasons behind why Hearts and Hooves Day would present more of a bitter response from-”

“I’m not bitter!” Twilight interrupted. “I’m not lonely! And I certainly don’t ‘sigh longingly’ all the time!”

“You do too sigh, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Do not,” repeated Twilight, sinking belligerently into the bath.

“I saw you sigh yesterday when I was browsing in the library,” Rarity quipped primly. “And you were staring off at the young adult fiction section.”

“I was lost in thought.” Twilight crossed her forelegs.

“The young adult romance fiction section.”

“Completely not thinking about what you think I was thinking about.”

“And,” added Rarity with finality, “I saw some of the books missing from that section half-read behind the counter where you were standing. Really, you’d picked some of the trashiest ones. If you’d simply asked, I could have recommended some absolute gems in the genre. Like Austen’s ‘Northanger Stable’ or perhaps her brilliant ‘Manesfield Park.’ I mean really, that you got even halfway through Stephanie Neigher’s first novel without setting the heathen text on fire-”

“Okay, okay!” Twilight cut her off. “So... maybe I feel a little disappointed that maybe there isn’t a special somepony I’ve got to spend my H-and-H day with, but it’s not for lack of trying! I mean, I don’t close myself off from other ponies and I’m friends with almost everypony in Ponyville, I just have never... well, felt that way about somepony.”

“You mean to tell me that there isn’t a single stallion in Ponyville you don’t train that longing gaze of yours on? Or mare,” she added, raising her hooves defensively. “I don’t judge.”

Twilight shook her head. “Not at all. Maybe I just haven’t studied enough.”

“Now Twilight, really,” chided Rarity, tapping Twilight’s forehead with a hoof. “How many times do you have to be told that some things can’t be learned from books?”

“Well then what, Rarity?” Twilight was exasperated. “What?”

Rarity tapped Twilight again, though this time it was a tap of reassurance. “What indeed, dear Twilight. What indeed. You don’t have to worry! Your generous friend Rarity is going to be here by your side every step of the way!”

Twilight sighed. “How reassuring.”

Rarity either didn’t notice the sarcasm in her response, or chose to ignore it. “Trust me, Twilight Sparkle. One day it’s going to hit you. You will see a pony and that heart of yours will get all aflutter and you’ll start wondering if you’re pretty enough...”

Twilight’s only reply was a vague noise that cannot be reproduced in text.

“I’m glad you opened up though, Twilight,” continued Rarity. She held Twilight’s face between her forehooves and pulled her close. “It’s like the therapists back at my rehab center used to say; the first step in fixing your problems is admitting that there are problems to be fixed! And that methamphetamines will buck up your teeth.”

The two of them laughed then, and the mood was lifted as they talked and joked the morning away.

=-=-=

Apparently, it didn't take too long for Luna to wrap up her meeting with the council, because Celestia had hardly settled down in her room before she heard her sister slam the door to the room next to hers. Within a matter of seconds she heard the high-pitched sounds of electronics being powered on. And through the walls that separated their two rooms, Celestia heard the distinct opening strains of the orchestral menu music that heralded the start of one of Luna's most-played online shooters.

Celestia let out a breath sharply, narrowing her eyes. Her sister really did play too many games. She worried about that. If she left, what was there to stop Luna from wasting her life away in front of TVs and Monitors while the political decisions stagnated? She scrunched up her face, determined to put it out of her mind. No matter. Even if Luna locked herself away, it was only for a couple months, and Magus could probably handle things just fine.

She turned herself to the large ornate mirror that stood in her room next to the large window overlooking the wide plains and rolling hills of Equestria. Angling her body side to side, she examined herself from various angles. Again she sighed. Her rump was starting to look a little larger than before. She suspected it was probably all the cake and stress. In fact, she thought, if she would ever have to describe her job to anypony who didn't know what a princess was, she'd probably tell them it was just a lot of cake and stress.

“So, who am I?” She asked her reflection.

Who, indeed. There was no way she was going out in public on a vacation without a different name, face, and back story. The disguise would have to be foolproof, too, down to voice modification. Not that it was difficult; Princess Celestia was not unaccustomed to putting on the skin of another pony, as it were. But this would be different. This wasn't like those times she'd dash a new color, remove her wings and change her size, just to pop down to Neighrut to peruse the bazaar. This was a long-term gig. She needed to literally become a new pony.

She thought for a moment. Then, closing her eyes, she powered her horn and performed the transformation spell she'd done many times. When she opened her eyes, a young stallion stared back at her from the mirror.

She took a breath. “Hello-” she put a hoof to her mouth as her normal motherly voice came out. “Oh, whoops, forgot to change the voice.” Her horn glowed as she down-tuned her vocal cords. “Hello.... hello.... no, deeper.... hello...

Satisfied, she cleared her throat and spoke again. “Hello. My name is Fetlock.” She tapped her hoof to her chin. “Uh... I'm a consulting detective from... hmmm... Canterlot? No, that's not very realistic.”

She groaned and shook her head, the spell reverting it self and returning her to her normal bum-beginning-to-get-fat look. Trying again, she closed her eyes and powered her horn. When she looked again, an older gentlemanly stallion with a receding forelock and a short salt-and-pepper mane stood before her.

“Hoofner,” he said. “Name's Hugh Hoofner. I'm a publisher of magazines for...”
Again, a shake of the head and she dropped the disguise. That one wasn't going to work.

The pattern repeated itself. Sometimes a stallion, sometimes a mare. Here was miss Withers, an actress. Here was Frostmane, the poet. Here was Mareilyn Maneson, a singer/songwriger. But each time she threw on a face and a name, it didn't feel right. She couldn't think of a proper story, a proper name, a distinct way of speaking.

Much like a fanfiction writer trying to begin the next chapter of his story, she was overwhelmed by the blank slate, by the sheer oppressiveness of unending possibilities. And like the metaphorical writer, who finds himself suddenly watched online by an unexpected amount of forum users who continuously clamor for his next chapter, she kept starting it up, piecing it together sentence by sentence, but getting frustrated and deleting the whole thing and starting over.

It just always felt wrong.

“So who do I become?” she said, raising her voice in frustration.

Just as she let out her exasperated outburst, she heard Luna let loose a stream of obscenities from the adjoining room. She raised an eyebrow at it; their mother would have been very disappointed if she could hear Luna now. Then an idea struck her. Perhaps Luna would know what sort of pony she could disguise herself as.

As she drew closer to the door to Luna's room, the sounds of guns grew louder and louder, as did the sounds of Luna's exasperated moans and swear words uttered under her breath. Celestia nudged the door open with her hoof and peeked her head in. Instantly, she was bombarded with the smell of pizza, chip dip, and sweat. She coughed. It was certainly a good thing the common ponies never got to see inside the Princess's private chambers, else they might be horrified. Bed unkempt, royal clothes strewn about everywhere, pizza boxes shoved in the closets when the trash bins became full. And the wires. Dear Sun, all the wires. So many consoles hooked up to so many televisions, and in one corner of the room a computer with a massive display. Luna was without a doubt the messiest Princess in the history of Equestrian Princesses. Celestia opened the door all the way and stumbled over to the window, tripping over cans of soda and half-eaten bags of Cheetos. She threw the window open wide and turned to her sister.

“Really, Luna, it couldn't hurt to clean your room every once in a while.”

“I did,” replied Luna, not tearing her eyes away from her television. “Yesterday morning.”

Celestia could hardly believe that her room could get so messy in so short a time, but when it came to Luna and junk food, anything was possible really.

“So what do you want?” Luna asked, refusing to tear her eyes away from the game she was playing.

Celestia walked over to her and watched Luna's avatar run around its little virtual world, jumping and ducking between cover and firing what appeared to be a very large machine gun at other players. She could certainly see why this game could be interesting as a pastime, but she found it difficult to believe ponies could be so hypnotized as Luna was.

“Just wanted your input on something,” Celestia replied.

“Uh-huh” it was a noncommittal noise.

A shot rang out through the television speakers and Luna swore very loudly as her character crumpled to the floor.

“Oop...” a voice came from the television as a player on the other end spoke up. “Saw you scanning the windows for me, but I caught you first.”

Celestia saw that whenever the voice talked a small notification popped up on the screen with a little speaker icon, denoting the user that was talking. The icon read “FarrierBlue.”

“Ughghghhhhh, that is IT!” Luna tossed her controller to the side.

“Sorry Princess, maybe next time!” yelled FarrierBlue from across the ponynet.

Luna made another incomprehensible noise of frustration and unplugged her PonyStation 3, severing her connection to the game. She tore off her headset, put it down, and got up, stretching her legs.

“That damn player constantly drops into games that I'm in and spends the entire match just messing with me,” she told Celestia, kicking a hind leg back to get rid of her stiffness.

“Aww... maybe he likes you.” Celestia grinned reached up and gave her sister a pat on the head.

Luna brushed her sister's hoof away. “No, it's griefing and it pisses me off.”

“So you've been telling people online that you're the princess?” Celestia asked.

“Are you kidding me? If I told people that it would be all gifts and free kills and 'here Princess let me do that quest for you.' Bullshit like that. I like playing the games, and I'm not going to use my status just to let people bow down to me in the virtual world.” She sighed. “He just calls me that because I used to slip into Old Equestrian when I got angry a lot, like an old royal.”

Celestia giggled. “So it's like a pet name.”

“I'm going to kill you.”

Anyways,” said Celestia, clearing her throat and hoping to change the subject, “I came in here to ask you for some help. I can't decide on a form and I'm having trouble coming up with a name.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “Why? Just make up a name, slap some new colors on your face and walk out the door.”

“It's not that simple.” Celestia sighed and walked over to the window to peer out at the grounds below. “I have to literally become somepony else and I have to have an airtight story that makes sense so that nopony asks any questions or gets suspicious. Everypony is going to know that the princess is out and about, and I really don't want them finding out who I am.”

“So use the name and face of somepony you knew well.” Luna flopped down on her bed and let her head hang over the side, looking upside-down at Celestia. “That way you don't need to make anything up.”

“That's called 'identity theft' and is illegal, you dingbat.”

Luna laughed. “No no no, silly, I mean like somepony who's been gone for a long time. Like... well, why not Amber?”

Celestia whipped her head and glared at Luna. “If you think I'm going to wear my late lover's face just to amuse you, then-”

“No! No, no. Not what I meant!” said Luna, waving her hooves placatingly. “I mean, she's been gone for a long while. Longer than anypony except you and I have been alive. Nopony's going to remember her and what she looked like. And you knew her well, so you know her story and origins and all that, so you won't slip up and mix up facts about your disguise or anything.”

Celestia bit her lip. “Well, that certainly is true, but then I'd have come up with some sort of excuse...”

Luna rolled over on to her stomach. “What did she do? How did she come to know you?”

“She was my speech writer, among other things. Sort of a personal aide.”

“Really now, sister, you had a secret romance with your secretary?”

“She was so much more than just a simple Secretary!” Celestia bristled. “She was by my side constantly, and was extremely faithful in her service. She made my job as Princess bearable and the only reason I haven't hired another pony like her in the past thousand years is because nopony could ever do her job like she did.”

“Oh, I bet she did one hell of a job on you,” shot back Luna, waggling her eyebrows. “Sorry!” she quickly added, as she saw Celestia step forward angrily. “Couldn't resist. But honestly though, that's perfect! The perfect cover story. Ponies will wonder why they've never seen you, and it's because you're cooped up in Canterlot Castle and you rarely get out, doing your civic duty. What with high-and-mighty Celestia out taking a break, her speechwriter would be on break too, right?”

Celestia thought for a moment. “Yes, well I suppose that makes sense. And I already know everything about her, so I'd have an airtight story. But I don't know.”

“And what better way to honor her memory, during the Spring Festival and Hearts and Hooves no less?”

“Well...”

“The best part,” added Luna, “is that you don't even have to think about the visual disguise. You already know what every part of her body looks like. And I mean that seriously. With only slight innuendo.”

Celestia chose to ignore the joke. “Alright,” she said. “Let's try that. Let's do it. I'll do it.”
She stepped to the center of the room to give herself space to work with. She expelled a breath sharply. Closing her eyes, she sent her mind back a thousand years. Back to the memories of a mare she once held twixt her own forelegs. Back to a mare she once kissed, once took to her bed. Back to a mare who was, without shadow of doubt, beyond

=-=-=

beautiful. There really was no other word to describe Amber, Celestia decided as she stepped back from her lover to get a full look at her.

...well?” said Amber Skye, giving her an inquisitive look. “How does it look?” The unicorn gave herself a little twirl, showing off the dress she had just stepped in to.

Celestia's eyes traced the simple lace frills that lay across her tail and rump, up her slim, defined back, to the base of her deep navy blue mane, down around her small chest, where it was clasped with a silver lock.

Perfect,” Celestia said softly, feeling her face begin to heat up. “You're absolutely perfect.”

Amber rolled her eyes “The dress, Princess.”

Of course!” Celestia's voice cracked, and she cleared her throat. “That's what I meant, of course. The royal tailor did a fine job, and you'll look quite presentable standing next to me while I give my Spring Festival Opening Speech.”

Amber looked down at the dress, and shifted her hind legs to feel how comfortable the dress was to move about in. She took a few experimental steps, and then a short little hop. Celestia laughed, watching her.

You don't wear these often, do you?”

They are hardly practical. I spend most of my days reading and studying your foreign policy so I can write your speeches, in case you have forgotten. There's no need for me to really wear anything.”

Celestia leaned down to nuzzle her in the middle of her neck. “You really should wear them more often.”

You forget,” Amber retorted playfully, “that I am vastly more interested in what lies beneath.”

They both pulled apart and laughed, a clear crystalline sound that echoed throughout the empty halls of the West Wing.

Well...” began Amber once they'd quieted down, “I think we are done here. And since everypony's gone for the night, and the cleaning company won't be around for hours...”

Hmmm?” Celestia cocked her head.

Amber sauntered towards her, stretching her neck up to put her mouth inches away from Celestia's.

All I'm saying is, you helped me get into this damn complicated thing.” Amber's voice lowered to a whisper. “So why don't you help me get out of it?”

Hhhhh...” It wasn't a reply so much as it was a small noise Celestia made in return.

Without another word, Celestia reached up a hoof and brushed Amber's forelock aside. Lowering her head, she pulled from deep within her well of magic and light up her horn. It would be tricky to remove this intricate of a dress by herself, but she was well practiced. Well practiced indeed. She exhaled as she activated a spell, feeling her magic

=-=-=

coursing through her horn. Then, with a final push, she let it escape, long tendrils of golden light enveloping her body, lifting and changing it. Molding it into something new.

There was a bright flash of light, at which Luna covered her eyes. When she peeked them open once again, it was not Celestia she beheld standing before her, but a much shorter young unicorn mare.

She sat there and stared for a moment.

“So...” said Luna, getting off of her bed to circle around and see all angles of Celestia's new disguise. “This is Amber, hmmm?”

“Ah, it's not finished yet,” said Celestia. With one last flick of her horn, she conjured up a small pair of shiny black rectangular reading glasses that rested on the end of her nose.

Luna giggled. “She looks like a bookish speechwriter, that's for sure.”

Celestia turned toward Luna's mirror and gazed at her reflection. She gasped softly when she found herself face to face with a mare she had not seen in far too long.

“I see why her parents named her Amber,” said Luna, reaching up to poke her. “Soft orange fur. An amber coat. And a pretty dark navy mane to compliment it. Darker orange eyes, and a pair of cute glasses. Small wonder you fell for her.”

“Yes...” said Celestia, not tearing her eyes away from the mirror. “Small wonder indeed.” She shook her head. “It's just kind of weird, though.”

“Hmmm?” Luna was busy inspecting her flank and the quill cutie mark that adorned it.

“I mean, it just feels a little odd, seeing her when I look at myself in the mirror. And it feels strange actually being in her skin.”

“Celestia, please.” Luna didn't stop inspecting her cutie mark. “It's not like it would be the first time a part of you has been inside her.”

“I'm going to kill you.”

“And you know what else is strange?” asked Luna, ignoring Celestia’s response. “How much Amber reminds me of that student of yours. And not just because they are both unicorns. I mean, look at her mane. It's nearly the same deep shade of blue, similar style with a straight cut across the bangs. She's simple, bookish, very librarian-looking. And the quill cutie mark; she's into reading, writing, studying. Makes one wonder how you look upon your faithful student, if this was the pony you were secretly bangi-”

“I swear to Sun,” snapped Celestia, “That I have heard your jokes about me and Twilight Sparkle quite enough times. And if you continue that train of thought, I will send you on another millennium-long expedition to our natural satellite, and refuse to let you come back until you've drafted a three-volume thesis on the properties of moondust and its relation to the taste of cheese.

“Touchy, touchy,” Luna clicked her tongue. She smiled. “She is beautiful, though. Amber, I mean. I can see what drew your eye to her.”

“Yes,” Celestia said, calming herself. “She was very beautiful.”

Luna hopped back up onto her bed. “So why didn't you marry her?”

“I told you that already.” Celestia sat herself down on the floor. “You know full well that a thousand years ago relationships like this were frowned upon. Doubly so since we were of two completely different levels in the class system. One never married below their station, you know that.”

“Well, yes, but you're the Princess! You could have exuded a little power. Yes, the commoners would have whispered nasty things amongst themselves, but nopony would dare challenge you. If you had truly been serious in your relationship, even I would have stepped aside to let you marry.”

Celestia shook her head. “It was more than that.”

“I hear a needlessly complicated story coming on.”

Celestia sighed. “Not really, she just... well, she was...” a pause. And then, “She was in an arranged marriage.”

Luna didn't say a word, but she formed an “oh” with her mouth, understanding.

“Yes, you get it.” Celestia dug at the carpet with a hoof. “If our relationship had gone public, the scandal would have ruined many things.”

“I see.”

“It's really a shame she hadn't been born just a few centuries later. Arranged marriages would have gone out of style by then.”

“Wait... really?” Luna leaned forward. “They don't do arranged marriages any more?”

Celestia looked over the rims of her reading glasses at Luna. It was the piercing gaze of an annoyed librarian. “And here I thought you'd caught up on all your history lessons. Welcome to the twenty-first century, my dear.”

“Huh.”

The two sat there for a few moments, each lost in their own thoughts. It was Celestia who broke the silence. “I think you're right, dear sister.” She stood, stretching her legs. “I'm going to keep this form. In honor of the mare who meant the world to me.”

“Here, here! Lost Love! Honor! The stuff of those romantic novels I know you hide under your pillows when you think nopony is looking.”

Celestia laughed now, taking the joke in stride. “In the spirit of the season, right? Anyways, I think I should be going now. It's getting on in the afternoon and I'd like to make it to Ponyville with enough time to find a place to stay for the night before finding something to entertain myself with for the month.”

“Will you come back to visit? Or are you just going to leave for the whole month?”

“Oh, Luna. Don't worry. I'll come back all the time. But it will have to be at night when you're off your royal duties. I'm not supposed to involve myself in that business, it being a Sabbatical and all. But I'm sure the two of us will have plenty to talk about.”

“Well then off with you!” Luna made a shoo-ing motion with her forelegs. “I have games to play. There are brains to be shot out!”

“Of course, sister. I'll not keep you from your blood and gore any longer.”

Celestia turned to Luna's large window. Reaching up with a hoof, she pushed it open and put her forelegs up on the window sill. She was just about to spread her wings and leap out when Luna spoke up.

“Probably not the best idea, sister. Jumping out the window, I mean.”

Celestia turned to look at her. “Hmmm?”

Luna indicated her small back with a nod. “Amber's a unicorn.”

Celestia stood there for a second, and then burst out into laughter. “Oh, my!” she exclaimed. “Could you imagine my face if I jumped out the window with a bare back and tried to fly?”

“No, but I could imagine the colorful decoration your insides would make on the stone pathways of our garden.”

“Okay, okay” Celestia backed away from the window and shut it. “This time for sure.”

She closed her eyes, concentrating on a teleportation spell that would land her on the pathways just outside Ponyville. She was just about to activate it when Luna interrupted again.

“Wait!” she yelled.

Celestia jumped, and the magic on her horn fizzled out. “What!”

There was a pause. Then Luna took a deep breath. “Seriously though,” she said. “They don't do arranged marriages any more?”

Celestia let out a frustrated groan. Not even bothering to answer, she shot her sister a very annoyed look and disappeared in a flash of amber magic.

And suddenly, Luna was alone in the room save for a few wisps of smoke from her sister's teleportation spell and the faint smell of burning pages that accompanied it.

=-=-=
#-#-#
=-=-=

My friend flavinbagel helped me design the color scheme for Amber Skye and he was awesome enough to do a quick two-minute doodle of what she looks like. Much thanks to him and his knowledge of color theory and other things that are confusing