• Published 30th Jun 2020
  • 489 Views, 9 Comments

Linkin Pony - Recharge: Revamped - Kaciekk



A post apocalyptic Equestria, several centuries in the future. CharmingRhythm leads his team in setting up a new camp for the Resistance, which fights against the cyborg Hybrids.

  • ...
3
 9
 489

Chapter 2

With excitement pulsing through his veins, ChamringRhythm quickly trotted off into the streets of Los Pegasus. He was making his way towards home, but he wanted to stop by HyperBlitz’s home first, for it wasn’t far from his own. HyperBlitz welcomed his friend into his apartment easily.

“So, how’d it go?!” Hyper asked curiously, his eyes wide.

Before he answered, Rhythm glanced over at the couch where a tan mare sat. A small orange colt sat in her lap. The mare gave glances between Rhythm, the colt and HyperBlitz.

“We’ve got a new assignment. That is of course, if you’re willing to come with,” Rhythm started and Hyper urged him to go on. “They want us to set up a camp. It’s just north of the city.”

“That sounds fucking awesome!” HyperBlitz exclaimed with eagerness.

“Should you be cursing around your kid? He’s old enough to learn words,” Rhythm teased.

“Oh he’ll be fine,” Hyper did not think much of it. However, his composure changed. He turned back to the mare and colt with concern filling his face. “But if I went… that means I’d have to be away from my family.” Rhythm knew how much Hyper’s family meant to him, his son was still very young after all. “What do you think, SweetHooves?”

The Earth Pony mare thought for a moment, and then replied. “Well, JumpingJolt isn’t a tiny foal anymore, so I may be able to take care of him on my own. Besides, I’m used to you being gone on missions.”

“And if it’s not that far, I can always come visit often! I’m the fastest flier in Los Pegasus!” Hyper declared confidently.

“That’s a pretty bold claim.” Rhythm raised a brow at his friend, but never lost his smile.

“Hey, I’m not called ‘Blitz’ for nothing!” His golden wings spread wide with his enthusiasm. The feathers of one slapped against SweetHooves and JumpingJolt. The mare shrugged it off as if this was a usual occurrence, but the colt began to cry.

“Ah! Oh I’m so sorry, JJ, I didn’t mean to!” Hyper spoke in a shrill voice.

He hopped on the couch next to SweetHooves and scooped up JumpingJolt in his red hooves. Hyper began to hush and rock his son. Rhythm watched with amusement and admiration, fantasizing what it would be like to have a foal of his own.

Just as Rhythm thought of his own wife, Hyper said “So, what’s Heartfelt think of this whole mission?”

Rhythm tensed up. “I… haven’t told her yet.”

“What?” Hyper let out, not aware of his loud volume. He shrank back as JumpingJolt began to whine again. SweetHooves took him instead as Hyper stood up to eye level with Rhythm. “How could you tell me first but not your wife? You even made the decision to go without consulting her first?”

Rhythm knew what Hyper was saying was right. His eyes slanted to the floor. “I guess I thought too quickly. Maybe I could have asked for a day to think of it but... I didn’t want to let the president down.” He paused for a moment. “I’m sure I can convince Heartfelt, she’ll understand.” Rhythm did not even believe his own words, but did not show that doubt. “But you’re coming, right?”

“Of course. I’m all in. I’ll be ready when you are,” confirmed HyperBlitz.


It was a short walk from HyperBlitz’s apartment to CharmingRhythm’s. The Unicorn hesitated at the door, thinking of what his wife might say. Heartfelt had always been a fair pony. She’ll understand, Rhythm tried to convince himself as he slipped inside.

Heartfelt appeared in the front room just as she heard the door close. “How did it go?”

“Good,” Rhythm said. “I’ve got a new assignment- the whole team does. The president wants us to set up a new camp.”

Heartfelt seemed pleased at her husband’s news, but her expression quickly changed. “Where?”

“Just north of here. It’s not too far…” Rhythm attempted to reassure.

“But a camp takes a long time to make. How long are you going to be gone?” She pressed.

“Probably quite a bit…” Rhythm could not begin to think how long it might take. It could possibly be over a year. “But I promise I’ll come and visit. I’ll have to come back to the city to get supplies anyway.”

That answer did not satisfy Heartfelt. “CharmngRhythm, I thought… what about starting a family? Don’t you still want to have a kid? I thought we agreed.”

“Of course, I do,” Rhythm expressed. He couldn’t believe what Heartfelt was assuming. “And nothing will ever change that. Not even this mission.”

“But, you’re going to be gone,” Heartfelt reminded.

“Yeah but, we can put it off a little longer can’t we? We still have plenty of time. And maybe after the camp is finished, we could both live there. I think a place out of the city might be a nice place to live.” Rhythm’s thoughts raced. Obviously they would be missing some resources from the city they needed to raise a child.

“And how long is it going to be until then?” Heartfelt expressed with hurt in her eyes and voice.

“I don’t know, babe,” Rhythm sighed. “But I promise there’s nothing I want more in Equestria than to have a kid with you. I just have to do this first.”

Heartfelt didn’t speak. Rhythm’s blue hoof raised to the mare’s cheek, but she cast her eyes away. The rest of her body followed, taking her into the other room. Rhythm watched her brown tail flick just before it disappeared with her.

Defeated, Rhythm stood in the middle of the room silently. He understood why Heartfelt felt the way she did: he made it seem like he chose this mission over his future plans with her. That was never meant to be the case. Shame filled up Rhythm like a balloon. He felt uncomfortable just standing there, so he decided to head out the way he came.

Rhythm was not sure where he was going to get away to. He could have gone to one of his teammate’s houses to inform them of the announcement, but he was discouraged to even try. Instead, he found his hooves took him almost instinctively to the neighborhood where he grew up.

Rhythm stepped up to one of the many houses that lined the street and knocked. His right foreleg created an unnatural sound against the wood. The door opened up to a blue Unicorn mare. Her large gold eyes glowed at the sight of the younger pony in front of her.

“CharmingRhythm!” Her greeting was warm.

“Hey, Mom,” Rhythm let out while trying to hide his disappointment from earlier. He entered the house.

“So, how have things been going? Any interesting missions?” The blue mare asked.

“It’s been good. Actually, I have a new mission. It’s different,” Rhythm reported.

“How so?”

“Well, the president asked me to set up a new camp,” he said.

“Really? You must have really caught her eye for her to give you a mission directly,” His mother mused.

“I guess so. I’m bringing my team with me. We’ll set out in a few days.”

His mother gave him an unsure expression. She picked up on his odd behavior and tone of voice. “But you don’t sound as excited as I’d thought you’d be. What’s wrong?”

“I am excited it’s just-” Rhythm sighed. “It’s Heartfelt. She’s upset because I didn’t ask her opinion first before I took this mission. And because I’ll be gone for so long.”

“I see. Well, I’m sure she’ll come around. It’s an honor to be given a mission like this,” Rhythm’s mother tried to be positive.

“Yeah, but she doesn’t see it that way.”

There was a pause as the Unicorn mare peered past CharmingRhythm. Her eyes squinted as she called out, “SilverFlash you don’t need to lurk around the corner. You can come talk with us too.”

Rhythm swiveled around to see a bluish-grey Unicorn lift his head up from out of the hallway. He was about the same age as Rhythm and had a sleek black and violet mane. He challenged Rhythm’s gaze with mischievous curiosity.

“I’m surprised you’re still here,” Rhythm said bluntly.

“In case you forgot,” SilverFlash pointed to his horn with a violet hoof. There was a thin crease in the middle of his horn where a crack was healing.

Observing that crack, recent memories flooded back to Rhythm. He had heard about how SilverFlash was found exhausted and dehydrated while also badly injured. His injuries included many gashs, broken ribs and a cracked horn. He had been fleeing a Hybrid Citadel where he received those injuries. Ponies had found him almost dead trying to reach their village. Rhythm remembered specifically how his brother told him “they got me where it hurts” referring to his horn. He was not able to use his magic, which he had always been praised for.

Despite knowing how bad it was, Rhythm was relieved to see how much stronger his brother was now. He expressed his thoughts. “Well, looks like it’s almost completely healed! That’s great.”

“Ugh, I know,” SilverFlash lifted his head up dramatically. “I’ve been so bored! I can’t wait to be able to use my magic again. Then I can finally get back to my missions.”

Rhythm shot him an irked glance. “You mean go back to the Citadel where you got so fucked up to begin with? You need to seriously stop doing that!”

“Hey, it was one time. Most of the other times I’ve been able to get out without a problem,” Flash defended. “And it’s not like you can stop me. Nobody can stop me from going to save ponies from the Hybrids. You know that.”

Rhythm exhaled, “I know. I just wish you didn’t do it alone. You’d be safer with a partner.”

“I like going on missions solo. I find it easier to sneak around.”

“Would that even matter if both you and a partner were disguised as Hybrids anyway? You know the first rule of-” Rhythm was cut off early.

“Yeah, yeah, the first rule of the Resistance: Never go out alone. It’s not like that’s an actual law that can be enforced.” Flash rolled his eyes.

Rhythm was getting increasingly more frustrated with him. Their mother stepped in to speak. “He’s right Flash. You really should have a partner. We’ve been over this. We know we can’t stop you from entering the Citadels, but please, you need more protection. Yes, even you, my magical prodigy.”

Flash groaned. “And just how am I supposed to find a partner?”

“You go to Headquarters and put in a request. They’ll send it out to ponies interested in missions. You can interview ponies interested and pick which one you think will suit your mission best. Not all teams miraculously fall together like mine. Sometimes you have to work for it,” Rhythm finished with a smirk.

“Alright, I get it. And what about your mission, huh?” The younger Unicorn attempted to change the subject. “I hear you have a camp to build?”

“Yes, I do. Me and my team. And you aren’t allowed to come visit unless you have a mission partner with you.” Rhythm had his full confidence now, speaking with a huge grin.

“Are you serious?” Flash questioned with outrage.

“Yep, full serious,” Rhythm affirmed.

“Don’t worry,” their mother spoke to Rhythm. “We’ll keep bugging him while you’re gone until he actually does anything.”

“Oh I’m sure you will,” Rhythm chuckled. He let out a sigh of relief. He felt a lot better now and was glad he stopped by. “I really should get going though. I’ll make sure to visit as soon as I can.”

His mother leaned in and gave him a hug. “Love you, Charmy. Good luck.”

“Love you too, Mom,” Rhythm let go and gave SilverFlash a knowing glare “Come here,” he said with a foreleg outstretched. Flash let out an annoyed growl but he hugged Rhythm anyway.

CharmingRhythm stepped towards the door and glanced back once to exclaim, “Say ‘hi’ to Dad for me!” before leaving altogether.