• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 416 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 416

25) It's called Family

“So are we in agreement?” Sunset asked. “About the wedding?”

“I agree!” Robert agreed.

“That makes three of us!” Jasper agreed.

“And that makes four,” I agreed.

We were talking about all four of us having a wedding to make the first branch of the Jewel family official. We decided that the Alpha leader would be me. If anyone else came into the family they would be considered a second branch and wouldn’t be added to it without my consent. I decided that we would discuss it together if any others wanted to form a part of the second branch.

The main reason that Sunset, Jasper, and Robert wanted to have the wedding was because I was able to have a restraining order machine issued to me that works outside of the observation room. Actually, it wasn’t a machine, it was a necklace that would put a magical invisible force field around me and can detect when dangerous people or ponies were around. I’m not quite sure of exactly how it works but if it keeps people from tying me to a chair or sexually assaulting me was fine by me.

Jasper, Robert, and Sunset wanted to have the wedding right after I got out of the hospital and right before Sunset was going to be placed on bed rest. I did want to wait until after Sunset had our baby but everyone else told me it was very important that we do it as soon as possible. The hospital released me the following week and we had our wedding.

I was worried about Sunset and it made me antsy and I couldn’t sit still. My stitches kept coming out and our doctor had to keep coming to the house to redo them. One time the doctor had to redo them while Jasper just so happened to be watching it. He flinched every time a stitch went in me, however, I didn’t move an inch or even allow myself to show that it hurt. I almost laughed at it but didn’t because I didn’t want to throw the doctor off with the stitching.

“Oh boy,” sighed the doctor, “I think we should give you some medicine so you’ll stop moving around so much. This should do the trick. You need to take it once in the morning and once at night. It’s not going to make you sleep but it’ll make you drowsy enough to keep from loosening these stitches again. Since I don’t trust you to take it on your own, I’m giving this to your husband, Jasper. You’ll make sure he takes it right?”

“Oh yeah,” said Jasper, “I’ll make sure he takes it so he can finally take it easy! I don’t want to see his stitches being put back in again!”

“Good,” said the doctor, “you can shove it down his throat for all I care! Just as long as he starts taking it easy for once!”

Jasper laughed, “Fine by me!”

I scoffed at him and he laughed again.

“Think of it this way Norman,” said Jasper, “at least you’re not fighting Shadow Mist's X blade anymore!”

“That’s not funny Jasper!” I said.

“X blade?” The doctor said.

“It’s a long story,” said Jasper, “it’s something that happened when we were at war.”

“Okay,” said the doctor, “just as long as he takes it. I shall take my leave now. Hopefully, I won’t see you for too long Norman.”

* * *

The next couple of weeks I was allowed to return back to work. I kept laughing at Jasper because he was having a hard time with crazy women chasing after him. Apparently, nobody got the hint that Jasper was gay, not interested in women at all. Not to mention insane Chole and insane Liz kept asking him out just like they do to Robert. One day I was coming around the corner to my office and tried my best not to laugh when I heard Jasper yelling at Chole.

“Come on Jasper!” Chole said. “Why can’t I join your herd? There’s already one woman in the group, what’s one more?”

“What part of the word gay do you not understand?” Jasper said.

I was still listening to Jasper and Chole’s conversation when someone pinched my butt. It was another co-worker that had been bothering me ever since I got back to work.

“What do you want this time Oscar?” I said.

“I saw you training the other day,” said Oscar, “I’m amazed that you can take on eight people now and not even break a sweat.”

“Your point?” I said.

“I heard you got all of your medals for saving people,” said Oscar, “not to mention saving Equestria in the process. I was wondering if you could save me next?”

I shook my head, “No way Oscar! I’m not saving any more people at the moment. I’m not giving you a reason to tie me to a chair! Besides, I’ll just transfer my magic to someone else and let them save you instead! I’ve had enough of people thinking they owe me something!”

“Actually all of Equestria owes you something!” Oscar said. “And Equestria owes your teammates something too! The fact that you can take on eight people now is amazing! You know you’re special right? And you’re just my type too!”

I almost punched Oscar in the face but I stopped myself.

“What part of, 'I’m not interested,' do you not understand?” I said. “And don’t even think about kissing me either! I just got an alert about you!”

“I wasn’t going to do anything!” Oscar said. “What makes you think I want to kiss you? Unless you want me to?”

“Get away from me Oscar,” I said, “it’s not going to happen!”

* * *

When I finally got to my office I heard a knock on the door. Since I wasn’t getting any alerts from my necklace I found it safe to follow standard protocol.

“You may enter!” I said.

John walked into the room, saw my necklace, and smiled.

“Hey there,” said John, “how’s the war hero thing going?”

“Seriously John?” I said.

John was trying his best not to laugh. “Keep this up, and Commander Rainbow Dash just might name you her next in line!”

“Hell no!” I said. “No way am I taking any more job promotions if I have a thing or two to say about it!”

John didn’t dare hide his laughter this time.

“That’s not funny John!” I said.

“I also hear you’re having a hard time talking to women now?” John said.

“It’s a long story…” I said. “Let’s just say Sunset had a hand in that one.”

John doubled over in laughter again, his laughter was starting to give me a headache. I rubbed my temple and put my face on the desk. John took a hint and stopped laughing. “You know, you really should learn to accept reality for what it is. You saved Equestria, and from what I was told you almost killed yourself with your own weapon to do it! I knew I was right about recommending you for general!”

“I had help, you know!” I said. “In case you didn’t notice, I worked with a team! It was a difficult assignment!”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” said John, “and if it makes you feel any better the rest of the team is getting a lot of attention too!”

“Good!” I said. “Hopefully I won’t have to use magic to transfer it to someone else to save the day! Trust me, I don’t mind doing that at all!”

“Jasper told me about that by the way,” said John, “that you figured that move out in the heat of battle! And he also said that you were able to figure out how to do the Terror Paralyze spell!”

“Yeah, that was a move that Sunset hadn’t taught me yet!” I said.

John whistled. “Not bad! Oh, and I wanted to know how Sunset's pregnancy is going?”

“It’s fine,” I said, “she’s on bed rest still and she’s close to her due date. She’ll be giving birth in a couple of months.”

“Do you know what you’re having?” John said.

“We’re having a pegasus colt,” I said.

“How did that happen?” John said.

“My father was a pegasus,” I said, “and Sunset was originally a unicorn before she stepped through the portal.”

“Wow! I guess that makes sense,” John said. As soon as John said that there was a knock on the door. Once again I wasn’t getting any alerts so it was safe to say what I needed to say.

“You may enter!” I said.

The door opened. I saw Princess Twilight standing in the doorway with one of her royal guards beside her.

“Your highness!” John and I said. We both stood up and gave Princess Twilight a bow.

“You can look at me now,” Princess Twilight said.

John and I stood up straight. Why is Princess Twilight at my office?

“John,” said Princess Twilight, "I would like to speak to General Norman alone. You’re dismissed!”

“Yes, your highness…” John said and left the room.

Princess Twilight motioned for her guard to bring over a small box and she floated it over to me in her magic. I opened the box to see my eighth medal in it.

“I came here not just to give you the eighth medal that you won,” said Princess Twilight, “I came here to talk to you about something else. My thirty-second year of ruling is almost up.”

“Okay?” I said.

“Actually my thirty-second year of ruling is six months away.” Princess Twilight explained. “Equestrian law states that if a ruler is not married by their thirty-second year they have to step down as ruler. Do you know of the Icebreakers?”

“Yes,” I said.

“They put that rule in place at the time Equestria was founded,” Princess Twilight said. “The Icebreakers said that it was put in place to keep the balance of power in this universe in check. I don’t know why this universe needs to be in check but I can only assume that it's because a lot of powerful ponies came on the scene. That includes the ones that made Equestria so long ago. Princess Celestia stepped down and that’s why Princess Luna stepped down because they did not want to marry any of their suitors and neither do I!”

“I’m not following you, princess…” I said. I just looked at Princess Twilight hoping that what I just said wasn’t considered talking back to her.

Before I could say anything stupid I bit my tongue. Princess Twilight picked up on that and started laughing. I wanted to ask what was so funny but I didn't, instead, I went back to biting my tongue.

“Wow General Norman!” Princess Twilight said. “I heard you were having trouble talking to women lately but I didn’t know it was that bad!”

Princess Twilight laughed so hard that she actually fell on her back laughing. “Let me get this straight General Norman, you can almost kill yourself with your weapon to save Equestria but you can’t talk to a woman! I mean having trouble talking to me I understand but every other woman? Seriously!”

Princess Twilight regained her composure and stopped laughing. “Honestly general, you’re gonna have to get over that sooner or later especially with what I’m about to say next.”

I titled my head, “Huh?”

“I’m going to be stepping down in a matter of weeks,” said Princess Twilight, “I’ve picked out a few options and you’re one of them!”

“What?” I said in shock. “Why me?”

“The other part of Equestrian law states if a soldier has won eight medals or more,” said Princess Twilight, “then they’re in the running to become the next ruler! Since you’re a war hero now, you would be in the running to be the next ruler!”

When I heard that I just about fell over backwards and almost passed out.

“You know it’s just like my brother Shining Armor said,” Princess Twilight said, “Shadow Mist was just some brat with a pedigree. Since I can name who I want to be royalty this time, it’s possible I could name you! Wow, you look like you’re in shock General Norman. I guess that’s to be expected. My other options did the same thing when they found out. Anyway, I’ll be announcing the next ruler in a couple of weeks. I’ve said everything I needed to say. This is goodbye for now General.”

“Yes,” I said, “your highness…”

When Princess Twilight left I sat down on my chair because the room started spinning before I lost consciousness.

* * *

Work was hectic the next couple of days with barely a chance to sit down. Thankfully I wasn’t being sent out on missions for the time being because the war had ended a few weeks ago.

One day when I finally got home from work I sat down on the couch to rest when Robert sat down beside me.

“You just can't help yourself can you?” Robert said.

“What are you talking about Robert?” I said.

“You’re still trying to get up to the five hundred goal on the simulator,” Robert said. “You know the war is over with right?”

“Yeah, so?” I said.

“Anyway I heard Princess Twilight paid you a visit,” said Robert, “what was that all about?”

“Princess Twilight’s considering me to be the next ruler of Equestria!” I said.

“Wow,” said Robert, “that should be an honor to you!”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t happen!” I said. Robert sat on my lap and started kissing me. “What are you doing Robert? You do realize Cozy Glow could come down here and see us right?”

I was trying to reason with him in between him kissing me. Robert obviously ignored me because he didn't stop. Of course, just like I thought would happen, Cozy Glow was standing right behind us.

“Uh,” said Cozy Glow, “dad and dad Robert what are you two doing?”

When Robert heard Cozy Glow he got off me and his face was red. I laughed at the look Cozy Glow had on her face.

“I tried to tell you!” I said.

“Maybe we should take this upstairs?” Robert said.

When we went upstairs I almost laughed at the look that Cozy Glow had on her face. The look was nothing but pure confusion.

* * *

Gee, I thought, people just don’t know when to take a hint!

“No, Oscar!” Jasper said. “I’m not interested and neither is Norman! And I would leave him alone because he has things to take care of!”

I listened to this while working on paperwork in my office.

“Well then,” said Oscar, “I’ll just have to bug you guys when you’re playing chess then!”

From the sound of Jasper and Oscar’s conversation, Jasper was getting ready to punch the guy.

“Do you not see the wedding band on my finger?” Jasper said. “That means I’m officially Norman's husband now. Norman's the Alpha of the family and I don't think he's adding anyone else anytime soon. He’s said no several times, I’d leave him alone if I were you!”

“He’ll change his mind sooner or later!” Oscar said.

“Why can’t you take a hint?” Jasper said. “No means no! And if you even try any funny business I’ll wring your neck!”

“You wouldn't do that to me would you?” Oscar said.

“Try me!” Jasper said. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have things to do.”

I laughed as Oscar stormed away from Jasper like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.