• Published 19th Jun 2020
  • 1,149 Views, 28 Comments

Viva la Vodka - Liquid Truth



Lavender horse discovers better water.

  • ...
5
 28
 1,149

Bottoms Up

Fifteen mares on a dead mare’s chest,

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!

The night was young and Twilight stood close to Rainbow, somewhat afraid of the circle of laughing and singing ponies. Some of them were visibly wobbly and unable to hold a stable grip on the ground. Some of them were audibly gibberish. Some of them were both. Some of them were soberly laughing at their fellow drunken comrades.

Rainbow Dash glanced to find that Twilight was giving her a worried look. Rainbow gave her a confident smirk and trotted forward more confidently.

Only a week has passed and Twilight’s curiosity got the better of her. She was not addicted, she was curious. Nopony got addiction from only three sips.

As the song continued on, Twilight trotted on and on and sat on the high stool of the bar. Rainbow sat next to her, still wearing that silly grin from last week.

“Want your own drink this time?”

Twilight bit her lip and stared at the multitude of names of the drinks she had never even heard before. She didn’t know what any of them were nor what she’d like; maybe she was there only because she enjoyed—for once—a calm and mellow company of Rainbow Dash. She wasn’t quite sure, but last week’s session has been a pleasant one.

Rainbow chuckled. “I’ll take that as a yes. What’s on your mind?”

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t know what any of those are.”

Rainbow shrugged. “Something sweet? Bitter?”

“Maybe something… bittersweet? I like the last drink but maybe I want something less… fruity and with more body.”

Rainbow stared into space for a while before nodding. “Cocktails don’t work like coffee, Twi.”

“I don’t—”

“But there is a coffee liquor. Want to try one?”

“I don’t think mixing coffee and alcohol is a good idea.”

“Well, it’s on the menu.” Rainbow pointed at the board of—to Twilight’s eyes—gibberish names. One of them stood out, accompanied by an explosion with the words Now with Gambit’s Premium Coffee Liquor! written in it. The drink’s name, though...

“That sounds incredibly racist.”

The bartender laughed, startling Twilight. “Not exactly created on the friendliest of times. Want to try it?”

“I, uh—”

“She’ll take it.” Rainbow winked at Twilight’s look.

The bartender nodded. He summoned what looks like thick coffee in a glass bottle, threw it to the air, then caught it in his hoof. He poured the black liquid into something metal and hourglass-shaped between his wing’s feathers, then poured it into a glass. Another bottle joined the fray as it jumped up and introduced its clear-liquid into the mix, poured into the other side of the metal hourglass before rounding up with the coffee. The bartender was about to impress some more mares before he stopped and asked, “Are you lactose intolerant?”

Twilight shook her head.

The bartender nodded, and Twilight swore that he chuckled like a villain. Up came another one, this time carefully lifted and poured from a capless bottle. The thick white liquid gently laid itself above the mix and made a layer that reminded Twilight of how her professor taught her entropy. The glass slid into Twilight’s hoof and rested gently in her grip.

Twilight lifted the glass halfway before Rainbow pulled it back.

At Twilight’s questioning look, Rainbow said, “Stir it first.” She grabbed a spoon from behind the counter and gave it to Twilight.

The spoon made a whirlpool in the glass of ice and goodness. Entropy killed any sort of uniqueness from the system and turned it into a single drink, as what the universe would eventually look like in her heat death.

Twilight glanced at her right and found that Rainbow already got her drink, the exact same drink she had definitely not been staring at and stirring for the past few minutes.

Rainbow raised her glass high, inviting Twilight to do the same. Then, as they had their glasses up high and Twilight was about to clink it as if doing a cheer, Rainbow shouted, “Bottoms up!”

Twilight brought her glass down to hide her blush, then took a tentative sip. Her eyebrows shot up as she doesn’t feel like vomiting anymore, nor did she smell anything resembling hoof sanitizers. She then took a more courageous sip, now actually tasting something she rather liked. It tasted like cappuccino milkshake but with a kick.

And the kick was good, so Twilight took a gulp. Rainbow punched her shoulder and they shared a hearty laugh.