• Published 7th Jun 2020
  • 392 Views, 33 Comments

the Tale of Tenor Tune - NinjaMare



a stallion tries to live out his dream of becoming a singer, while trying to uphold his duty as a royal guard

  • ...
1
 33
 392

Chapter 8: Tenor's New Beginning

It was a bright and beautiful day in Ponyville, and today was the start of Tenor Tunes new life, one that isn’t constraint to the whims of his controlling father, who only saw his son as some way to feel like he’s still part of the guard. But now Tenor is able to pursue whatever course in life that he wants.

Today Tenor was strolling around Ponyville, not only just enjoying the peacefulness of the town, and the hustle and bustle of the town getting things ready to start their days. But the stallion was also on his way to Town Hall, hopefully the community board there has flyers for work. Even though he and his friend Velvet made an arrangement to sing at the pub, the stallion will still need a job to help finance himself so he wouldn’t be a mooch off his mother.

“Tenor!” the stallion heard the familiar voice of his friend Twilight, who came galloping towards him.

“Hello Twilight, what are you up to this early in the morning.” The stallion asked as he meet his friend half way.

“I was actually on my way to Sugarcube Corner to get something, wanna come with me?”

“Maybe later, I was actually on my way to Town Hall.” Tenor said to the smaller mare.

“Town Hall, why?” Twilight asked.

“I’m hoping that there be some flyers on the towns community board, listing jobs that I could try and get.”

“OH! Well then good luck Tenor, oh actually!” Twilight said as an idea came to her. “Remember the Silver Bit pub that you sang at?”

“Yeah, and I remember how good that tofu steak was. Mhhh~” Tenor hummed as he licked his lips, while Twilight giggled.

“Well if you’re looking for work, I know a few of their staff had to quite due to personal reasons, so the owner is actually looking for new staff. And she might hire you to be the pubs live singer.” Twilight mused while her friend tapped a chin with a hoof.

“That sounds like a promising prospect. Maybe I should head to the pub, thanks Twilight.”

The mare gave her friend a quick nuzzle before running to get her treats, while Tenor waves to her goodbye. Changing his course, the stallion now makes his way to the pub.

~~~~~

The Silver Bit was never really busy in the morning hours, after all ponies are hard at work during the day, getting their shops and stalls ready, or just getting a leg up on chores and errands they need to get done. There will be a few ponies that come in during the day for a meal, or a drink, but those were mostly in the minority of ponies, as hardly any pony in Ponyville is a heavy drinker. The owner of the pub is a brown pegasus mare named Copper Flask, and despite her name and being a good brewer, she’s not much of a drinker herself. But she does love to see ponies enjoy the ales, spirits, brandy, and other non-alcoholic drinks she cooks up, same goes for the food that she and her cooks make.

“Copper!” a skinny blue unicorn stallion came rushing into Copper’s office, where she’s going over the bills and payments of building, supplies, and some other stuff.

“Yes Blueball, what is it?”

“Our delivery from Manehatten finally showed up, and the pegasi delivering it are waiting for you.”

“Finally!” Copper said as she pushed herself out of her chair. “We were low on supplies yesterday, so it’s good they finally showed up!”

Copper then made her way to the back of the pub and exited the building via the back door, where three large transport carts and the team of pegasi that hauled them. Copper and the delivery teams leader then started to talk, and go over the inventory of what the pegasi brought, which thankfully everything that Copper need was there. which of course made the mare very happy. So after going over the delivery chart, and checking off every item, the remaining workers at the pub as well as the cart drivers, started to bring in the crates and boxes of ingredients to make drinks, kitchen supplies, and food to where their normally stashed. Once the last crate of ingredients was brought into the pub, and Copper signed the papers that the delivery was made, she and her staff went back inside while the pegasi deliveries flew off.

“Alright ponies let’s get these crates and boxes unpacked, and put the stuff inside where they need to be.”

“Yes ma’am!” the ponies of her staff said as they began their task.

“Hey Copper.” The pegasus turned to look at one of her cooks, a tall lanky unicorn mare with a frizzy red mane. “That singer stallion is here, and he wants to talk to you!”

“Singer stallion?” Copper echoed as she gives the cook a confused look.

“Yeah remember, that white unicorn that sang all those songs for pub, and raked in huge tips.” It took another moment for the mild-age mare to remember, but once she did remember about the stallion, her eyes nearly popped out of her head.

The pegasus then made her way to the front of the pub, and found the young stallion just standing by the door, the light peering through the windows causing his pure white coat and jet black mane to glisten. She maybe getting on in her years, but even Copper couldn’t help but feel like giddy mare when she saw the well-built stallion.

“Tenor.” Copper said as she trotted to the stallion. “Good to see you again love.”

“Nice to see you again Miss. Copper. I’m not interrupting anything am I?”

“Not at all hun.” The mare said as she reached the stallion. “So, what brings you here?”

“Actually I heard that your looking for a new staff members.” The mare gave a sigh as a wing rubbed her face.

“Yes, a lot of my staff had to move back to their hometowns due to personal, or family reasons.” Copper explained before looking back at the stallion. “Is that why you’re here? You looking for a job?”

“Yeah. I was able to resign from the guard, and now I’m looking for a new line of work.”

“I see.” Copper mused. “And so you came here to see if I’ll hire you.”

The stallion nodded to the mare’s question. Copper than thought about it for a second, not she was more than willing to have a new pony work the floor, and help serve customers. But this stallion before was very talented in singing, and of course was part of the guard, honestly, offering a job at a pub seemed like a real down grade and a waste. But…

“Alright colt, I’ll give you a chance to work here, but here’s what’s what.” The mare said as she tapped her front right hoof a few times

“I’m more than willing to let you work here as a server, but you got a fantastic voice hun. And to not use I feel is a waste, so aside from working as a server, I would like you to be the pub’s live singer once a week. Does that sound agreeable?”

“Perfectly.” Tenor said.

“Alrighty then. So, same time tomorrow, stop on by the pub and we’ll go over what a server does, among other stuff ponies have to do.”

The stallion agreed to the terms of his employment, but before the stallion left, Copper and Tenor talked about pay, and how long Tenor would be willing to sing for a day. As well as establish what day Tenor would be willing to sing on. Once the discussions of Tenor’s employment, the stallion bid his new boss farewell, and she to him as she watched the colt leave the pub.

~~~~~

Tenor was feeling pretty happy that he was able to find work so fast. In fact, he thought he would spend most of the day just hopping from shop, to store, and stall looking to see who was hiring after checking the community board. But now that he has more free time, Tenor was able to enjoy his day a bit more.

“But what should I do for the rest of the day?” Tenor contemplated as he wondered around aimlessly. “I suppose getting something to snack on wouldn’t be too bad.”

“Tenor darling!” the stallion turned to look behind himself, and found Rarity trotting up to him, a few bags held in her magical aura.

“Oh, hello Rarity. What are you up to today?” the stallion asked as he turned to face the mare.

“I was out gathering some supplies I needed for work, as well as some personal affects.” The mare said as she was now a foot from the stallion. “But now I’m off to get something to eat, care to join me?” Tenor gives his new female friend a small chuckle, which caused Rarity to look a little confused.

“I was actually debating on what to get to eat myself.”

“Well I must say I arrived just in the nick of time.” Rarity remarked as she rounded around the stallion. “How does something from Sugarcube Corner sound?”

“I’m alright getting something sweet.”

The pair then made their way to the sugary destination, while making idle conversation as they walked. Most of which, Rarity wanted to know how Tenor and his mother were doing, after having a not so good visit from his father, which Rarity was appalled to even see happen. And while Tenor was still upset that his father showed so much disrespect to not only him, but to his mother as well. However the stallion assured Rarity that the both of them are fine now. Actually, Tenor explained that when he came back to Ponyville the day before, and told his mom that he would like stay with her, she practically broke into tears as she was no longer alone and be able be with her son, who she was forced to separate from.

“It’s good to hear that your mother is happy about you moving in with her.” Rarity said to the stallion.

“I’m just happy that I can actually be with her, and catch up on all the time I was separated from her.” Tenor said as they pair closed in onto their destination.

“If I may ask, what happened to your father?” Rarity asked before the ponies entered the confectionary.

“From what Princess Celestia has told me before I moved to Ponyville, my father will be stripped of all rights and presence of even being a guard. Also he will have to pay a large sum of bits to mom. Not to mention he’s forbid to even come within one-hundred and fifty feet of the both of us.”

“How many bits does he have to pay, if I may ask?” Rarity questioned the stallion.

“I’m not sure.” Tenor said as he thought back to this morning. “Mom did get a message with a royal seal on it this morning, but I didn’t stick around to learn what it said as I was out to look for work.”

“Oh you were looking for work?” Rarity asked, to which Tenor nodded.

“Yep. And luckily I was able to find a new job, and its at the pub I sung at.”

“Really? Does that make you a bar hoof?” Tenor nodded.

“Pretty much, but on every Saturday, I’ll be a simple live singer for the pub.”

“REALLY?!” Rarity asked excitedly, which actually shocked Tenor, as he wasn’t expecting such a collective to have an, outburst.

“Uh….yes?” Tenor said.

“So we’ll be able to hear you sing every Saturday?”

Tenor gave another affirmed nod, which made Rarity even more giddy. Actually as the mare quickly trotted in place, Tenor really had to hold back a hearty chuckle, as the sight of this mare acting like an excitable filly was to, adorable! The mare eventually ceased her little outburst, once she realized she was actually doing it, and tried to recompose herself. And once she had, both unicorns entered the building, ready to snack on some tasty, sweet treats. Not only to fill their bellies, but to also celebrate Tenor’s new life in Ponyville…a life that HE can determine what to do with.