• Published 19th May 2020
  • 10,498 Views, 1,831 Comments

Rekindled Embers - applezombi



Hundreds of years after the death of Twilight Sparkle, a brutal theocracy rules over ponies with an iron hoof. A young pegasus mare slowly learns the truth about her world, and the lies her faith is built on.

  • ...
46
 1,831
 10,498

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: What Emberglow Saw

Interlude: What Emberglow Saw

The first thing Emberglow saw was a pathway below her hooves. It was made of stars, and it twisted and snaked through the starlight void like a meandering stream. There were images, like moving photographs, floating about the air around her. They were scenes from her own life.

“Pretty, aint it?” said a voice from behind her. It was a voice that dripped with an accent she couldn’t place, but that somehow sounded both homey and alien. Emberglow felt no danger or threat from the voice, so she turned slowly to see another pony standing on the path.

The pony was orange-furred, with long blonde hair that was tied back in a ponytail. She stood casually, with one forehoof cocked in front of the other. She was smiling gently, and her green eyes were focused on Emberglow. On her head sat a familiar battered brown hat.

“S-saint Applejack?” Emberglow gasped as recognition sparked in her brain. The figure rolled her eyes.

“Don’t know nothin’ about this ‘saint’ business,” the mare muttered. “That kinda thing started up long after I was gone. But I am Applejack. Kinda.”

“You’re…”

“Dead. Yeah, I know it.” Applejack nodded. “For a few hundred years now, I reckon. Of course, things have changed a mite since I’ve been around, but you’d know all about that.” She laughed. “But we’re not here to talk about me. We’re here to talk about you.”

“Me?”

“I’m mighty proud of ya, Emberglow. A mare after my own heart, you could say.” Applejack gave a small chuckle. “You’re a good pony. I’ve been watching you for a while now.”

“Watching? How?” Emberglow asked. Her mind was spinning; she was completely lost in this conversation.

“You touched the Element, right? That’s why you’re here,” Applejack said, as if that answered anything.

“Where is here?”

“I don’t know much about it,” Applejack glanced around her. “It’s not really a place for mortal ponies like you or me. I guess you could say the Princesses are letting us borrow this place for a bit so we can chat.”

“I’m confused.” Emberglow admitted, and Applejack chuckled again.

“Yeah, I reckon that makes sense. Twilight would explain it a lot better’n I would, but she ain’t here, so you’ll have to live with me.

“It’s like this. I’m not really Applejack, see? I’m a piece of her, a bit of her memories broken off and copied onto that gem you touched. The Element. I’m like a shadow, or a reflection in a mirror. And I’ve been keeping an eye on the next pony that’s gonna be hangin’ onto the Element of Honesty.” Applejack’s grin widened, and she pointed a hoof at Emberglow. “If you want, of course.”

“But…” Her mind reeled. “If… if I want?”

“Now don’t go saying you don’t deserve it, or some other nonsense like that,” Applejack scolded gently, before Emberglow could even get another word out. “That ain’t true, and you know it. It ain’t about who deserves it. It’s about who’ll do the best job carryin’ it.” The mare stepped forward, her hooves making no noise on the starry path. With shock, Emberglow realized that the mare was partially transparent, looking ethereal and fuzzy, as if she weren’t quite there.

“We’ve all kept an eye on our successors,” Applejack said. “Well, all of us but Rarity. The poor stallion that’s getting hers is gonna be on his own, but he’ll be fine. He’s my kin, after all.” Applejack laughed. “I can’t tell you how long I’ve been watching you. You had some hard times, but every time you proved you were the right one for my Element.”

“How?”

“Well, think about it, missy. You’ve always been true to yourself. True to your faith, even when you didn’t know it was wrong. True to right and wrong, when you found out your beliefs were wrong. True to your parents, true to your friends. You’re honest to the core, Emberglow. Even when it hurts.” As she spoke, the images around them shifted to scenes from Emberglow’s life. Helping out in her parent’s shop. Standing up to Blingshine in the Port Luminescence prison. Arguing with Heartwing in the Manehatten cave. Even turning down Steadfast’s most recent offer. It was like a hero’s tale of her life; every proud moment in her life, on vulgar display about her.

Emberglow lowered her eyes to the path. The pictures she saw were telling one story. The images in her head were telling another. “You’re making me out to be a better pony than I am.” She clenched her eyes shut.

“The things you’ve done have hurt you,” she heard Applejack’s voice say from nearby, and a hoof gently patted her back. “But you need to know your own worth, sugarcube. There’s gonna be new Elements of Harmony, and you need to be their strength. Their pillar. The one that keeps ‘em honest.” She winked at the last. “Do you think you can do that, Emberglow? Hang on to the Element of Honesty, and save the world along with the others?”

“What if I can’t?” The question slipped out in a whisper. “What if I’m not good enough? I have blood on my hooves, Saint Applejack.” There had to be somepony better. Somepony who hadn’t lived a lie for years. Somepony who hadn’t killed.

“I ain’t gonna lie to you.” Emberglow’s eyes shot open, and she looked deep into Applejack’s own misty expression. “I can tell you’re hurtin’ cuz of what you’ve been through. The stuff you’re feeling ain’t gonna go away easy. Things might only get harder from here on out. But for what it’s worth? ‘Saint’ Applejack thinks you’re good enough to do what needs to be done.”

“Am I…” Emberglow took a shuddering breath. “I’m going to have to kill again, aren’t I? I mean, if I accept this role, I’m choosing sides.”

“Sides? War?” Applejack shrugged. “I reckon it’s a little more messy than that. But if it makes you feel any better, I think you’ll get to decide.”

“Decide what?”

“What kind of Element to be. How you choose to fight your battles. The Element’s yours because of who you choose to be, every day. Keep making those choices and you’ll do just fine.”

Emberglow wasn’t sure. She tried to see what Applejack saw, tried to focus on the floating images around her, tried to feel pride in the good she’d done. Instead she felt only uncertainty.

“Do I…” she took a deep breath. “Do I even have a choice?”

“Course you do,” Applejack said. “You always have a choice. But I think we both know what you’re gonna choose. We wouldn’t be having this chat if you weren’t the kind of pony I think you are.”

Did she have a choice? “What happens if I say no?”

“Don’t rightly know,” Applejack shrugged. “You could live your life, I reckon. Away from the war and the conflict.” Even as Applejack was speaking, Emberglow felt herself shaking her head.

“What do I do?”

“Same as you always do, I imagine,” Applejack said. “Be a friend. Stay close to Rarity and the others, and keep them safe. Keep your word. And keep chasing after the truth, just like you always do. You’ll be fine.” The phantom mare hesitated for a moment, and her eyes became misty. “One last thing, though. Look after my friend, will ya? Rarity’s a smart mare, but sometimes she gets in over her head, or loses sight of her priorities. Keep her in the present.”

“I will. I promise,” Emberglow said.

“And I know that means a lot,” Applejack said with another wink. “Good luck, Emberglow. You’ll need it.”

PreviousChapters Next