• Published 30th Mar 2020
  • 2,448 Views, 19 Comments

Trixie Interviews: The Cozy Glow Story - Betty_Starlight



Cozy Glow interviews Trixie to get reformed

  • ...
5
 19
 2,448

Chapter Two: Learning Curve

Day 12:

Cozy Glow quietly flew to the office door of Trixie and slowly opened with her hooves it to enter. Trixie was at her desk and using her magic to look through paperwork as she said, “Oh hi Cozy Glow! Go take your usual seat and we’ll get started again soon! I already left your usual cocoa. How was breakfast?”

“Oh it was pretty good Miss Trixie! I had celery stalks and carrots with ranch dressing!” Cozy Glow responded. Cozy Glow continues, “Uh, didn’t you want to talk with me about something earlier?”

Trixie then smiles and says, “Yes Cozy Glow. You know, we’ve been seeing each other for about 12 days now and I was wondering what you’ve learned about friendship and about yourself. We’ll start with friendship! Now tell me Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow looks up at her with her pale brown eyes and says, “Well I learned earlier on that true friendship is give and take. I have to be willing to give of myself to any friends I might have in order for it to be real. I also learned that you’re my friend because Princess Twilight wanted you to be and so it’s okay to force others to be friends!”

Trixie cuts her off almost mid-facehoof and says, “No that’s not why we’re friends! Okay, Twilight Sparkle wanted me to interview and reform you! Yes, this is true! But we’re friends because I like you Cozy Glow!”

Cozy Glow stares at her curiously, “Uh, why would you want to be my friend though? Nopony has ever been interested in me unless I pretended? Why would you actually like somepony as rotten as me?”

Trixie replies, “Well because after getting to know you and learning about what you went through and everything that happened to you, I gotta say you’re actually not a bad pony at all! Just confused and damaged… I felt sorry for you and I wanted to help you Cozy Glow… I wanted to help make you better again…”

Cozy Glow then stares at Trixie aghast, “Wait! Y-you felt sorry for me? Golly! I never meant for you to. I was just telling you about everything that happened to me?”

Trixie then says, “Well yes, and what you have to realize is that you went through some trauma Cozy Glow. You had hardship and needed help and nopony was around to do it. And you know what happened after that…”

Cozy Glow then says, “I guess bad stuff did happen to me huh? I never really thought about it you know? I was just doing what I thought I had to do?”

Trixie replies, “Well that’s the thing. We often “can’t see the forest for the trees” and what seems normal to us might be awful to somepony else. We need to realize when bad things happen to us and do our best to heal.”

Cozy Glow then replies, “Well um, that’s what we’re doing right now Trixie? You’re helping me heal?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Right Cozy Glow!”

Cozy Stares at Trixie puzzled again, “But why Trixie? I guess I’m having trouble understanding this? What’s the point of doing things for others if you don’t get anything out of it yourself?”

Trixie says, “Well, because you’re doing what’s right! Because it will give you a good feeling! And most importantly, because you’ll be doing what’s right for Equestria!”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well why should I care about Equestria though? And um, if I get a good feeling from it, it isn’t really selfless is it?”

Trixie then smiles broadly and said, “There you go! You figured out the secret! Congratulations Cozy Glow!”

Cozy Glow then looks shocked and says to Trixie, “Wait! So I do good things for others, and I get a good feeling out of it, and so it’s not really selfless?”

Trixie replies, “Exactly! It’s not really selfless, but let me ask you this Cozy Glow. Lets say you do something nice for somepony else. You uh, help him change a wheel on his cart right? And you feel good about what you just did… Who does that really hurt?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well, nopony really? I mean, I helped that other pony out by helping him with his wagon wheel, and I feel good about it, and so everypony wins r-right?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Exactly! Not only that, but you helped make Equestria better by helping that poor pony with his wagon wheel. So it’s win/win/win! Don’t you think that’s better than enslaving other ponies and tricking them into doing your will? Because you get a good feeling from what you’ve done and nopony is really hurt! And think about this Cozy Glow. Later, you might need help. Don’t you think the pony who’s wagon you fixed might be willing to give you a hoof with that? That’s how friendship works Cozy Glow. We each help each other out and we’re all stronger because of it!”

Cozy Glow stares at the floor before slowly looking up and saying, “Um, if I need help later on, what’s wrong with tricking him to help me? I don’t understand Trixie?”

Trixie looks at Cozy Glow and says, “Well you wouldn’t want to trick me would you?”

Cozy Glow carefully considers this a moment before saying, “Well no I wouldn’t? Because you’re my friend?”

Trixie smiles again and says, “And you don’t want to trick your friends do you? Because you love me right?”

Cozy Glow still looks perplexed as she says, “Well I guess so?”

Trixie continues, “So since that’s the case, don’t you believe it’s logical to say that tricking other ponies into doing what you want is wrong?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well golly! I guess you’re right? I mean, if I have actual friends and I love them, I can’t just trick them into doing what I want huh?

Trixie says, “Well no Cozy Glow, because you know that’s not right. In order for friendship to truly work, you have to be open and honest about your intentions and you can’t lie about the things you need and want.”

Cozy Glow then stares at the floor before saying, “Friendship seems complicated?”

Trixie uses her magic to adjust some papers on her desk and says, “Well yes and no! But we’re gonna work on that!” Trixie takes note of the perplexed look on her patient’s face and asks her, “Well do you have any questions Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well I don’t know? I mean, wouldn’t it be better to have all the power so nopony could hurt you or get the upper hand? Wouldn’t it be better to be able to control everything so bad things won’t happen to you anymore?”

Trixie then smiles wide and says, “Well let me ask you something Cozy Glow… I’m your first real friend right? And you care about me right?”

Cozy Glow replies, “Well golly Miss Trixie! Of course I care about you! You’re all I have right now!”

Trixie keeps smiling and says, “Well, do you feel you need to have power over and control me?”

Cozy Glow stops suddenly and says, “Well uh no, not really?”

Trixie knows this is her moment when she then says, “Now tell me Cozy Glow, do you trust me? We’ve been talking for 12 days now… Do you trust me?”

Cozy Glow then thinks long and hard… She considers what she went through at the orphanage and what happened to her family… She considered how she lost everything and how she learned to not trust ponies, but to manipulate them instead… She considered how she felt she needed power earlier… She thought about all of these things before finally saying, “Well if you maybe have a better idea on how I should live, then I guess I can trust you? Maybe uh, try it out? Heh heh?” She then smiled nervously…

Trixie grinned broadly as she continued, “So following this train of logic, I’m your friend and you trust me, do you honestly think that I’m the only one in Equestria that you can trust?”

Cozy Glow then stammered, “Uh, I-I guess not? I mean, maybe I don’t need to control other ponies and get them to do what I want? Well, it just seemed like the only way I could get them to do the things I wanted you know? I didn’t think I could work with them instead because I had just been with my parents mostly before the fire and in the orphanage and I was all alone until that one filly started talking to me? And well, you know what I did then!”

Trixie continues, “Right! But now Cozy Glow, I’m going to prove something to you… I’m going to open the window… I’m going to turn my back and walk out the door and walk around the hallway once before returning… I’ve timed it and that gives you a good three minutes or so to escape… Your wings are fine. You can fly out that window and nothing is out there that would stop you… I’m going to trust you to not escape Cozy Glow. I’m going to trust you to stay put… Remember, my flanks are on the line here! If I’m responsible for letting one of the greatest villains Equestria has ever seen escape, I’ll be held responsible… But I don’t believe you will do that to me…”

Trixie then uses her magic to open the big window that could easily fit Cozy Glow’s small body, slowly and calmly trots towards the door, uses her magic to open it, and trots out before shutting it behind her. Cozy Glow is completely alone in the room with a large window open that she could easily fit through. She knows her wings are fine and what follows are the perhaps the longest 3 minutes and 12 seconds of her short life. She thinks of everything that had happened to her. And then she thinks about Trixie embracing her as a friend and what Trixie actually means to her. She thinks about all the awful things she had done and that maybe, just maybe there was a better way. All of these thoughts are going through the filly’s mind while Trixie was away and all she can do is stare at the floor.

Trixie returns through the door to find that the Pegasus filly had not left the room. Cozy Glow slowly looks up at her and says, “I didn’t leave…”

Trixie smiles and says, “I knew you wouldn’t…”

Cozy Glow then gets flustered and says, “What? You couldn’t have known that!

Trixie smiles even wider and says, “Tell me Cozy Glow, you didn’t escape right? You’re still right here… So why is that? Since you could’ve flown right out that window and escaped, but chose not to, there must be a reason? Why do you suppose that is?

Cozy Glow then sniffles and says, “Well um, because I didn’t want to abandon my friend? Uh, I guess you’re important to me Trixie? B-because you’re my friend?”

Trixie continues smiling and says, “Yes Cozy Glow. Because I’m your friend and I’m important to you…”

Cozy Glow then stares at the wall before saying, “I guess so huh? Golly! My first real friend? And I care about her? But you somehow knew I wouldn’t go anywhere?”

Trixie then says, “Because my friendship is important to you Cozy Glow. Because you want to continue talking with me and being my friend. Because I gave you something you haven’t had in a long time. A true friend that you can be and interact with… Nopony gets out of that Cozy Glow. We all need friends… And now you understand why that’s important…”

Cozy Glow then stares at the floor and breaks down, “Yeah… Your friendship is important to me Trixie and I just…” She then starts to uncontrollably sob before Trixie trots around her desk to embrace her in a loving hug.

Trixie asks her, “What’s wrong Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow sniffles and looks up at the blue unicorn holding her in her hooves before saying, “I had been alone for so long… Nopony was around me and the only ponies I talked to would always do what I say because of the stories I told them… I never really had anypony I could talk to you know? I uh…” She then looks down and starts sobbing more as Trixie keeps holding her.

Trixie then says, “You had been all by yourself all that time and now you’re beginning to understand that there’s another way. You’re beginning to understand the true magic of friendship means not having to face the terrible things that life throws at us all alone. You’re starting to realize that friendship is important to you…”

Cozy Glow looks flustered again before saying, “No! I can escape! I just uh…. I can’t do it Trixie!”

Trixie smiles again before saying, “I know you can’t Cozy Glow… And that’s okay…”

Cozy Glow frustrated as ever then says, “Why not?!”

Trixie continues holding the filly and smiling, “Because I’m your friend and I love you. Because you know I give you somepony to confide in and somepony to help you when you need it. That’s what I need you to understand Cozy Glow… Nopony is an island. We all need friends and we all need to interact with others in meaningful ways. By giving you that, I showed you that friendship is something important to you and that it’s something you need… I know our session today hasn’t been very long, but you need to go back to your room now after this revelation… You should reflect on this Cozy Glow… After I’ve held you long enough anyway… How do you feel now?”

Cozy Glow says, “Well I feel a little bit better and confused at the same time? I feel like I just made some huge mistake? I mean, I could’ve flown out to freedom right? But I chose not to? I guess that’s because um, you’re important to me Trixie?”

Trixie then pulls back from her embrace and looks at the filly straight into her auburn eyes and says, “Exactly Cozy Glow! Now it’s time for you to think about what you’ve discovered about yourself just now… Go fly back to your room at the castle… You know, when you fly back and forth here to come to see me every day now, you can escape then as well… We aren’t keeping you here against your will anymore?”

Cozy Glow then looks perplexed and says, “W-wait! You’re not? Um, shouldn’t you have guards or something to make sure I do what I’m supposed to?”

Trixie smiles again and says, “Why Cozy Glow? I’m your first real friend and I’m important to you now. I know you’re not going anywhere by this point because I’ve gotten you to understand that my friendship is something you need… We’re gonna discuss your freedom more later. But right now, you need to think… Now go back to your room and reflect on what just happened… Oh! You never touched your cocoa! Take that with you! You deserve a little treat for everything you’ve done today!”

Cozy Glow looks at Trixie and says, “Um, all I did was stare at a floor for 3 minutes?”

Trixie continues smiling and says, “Exactly! You could’ve escaped, but I knew the whole time you’d still be here when I returned. I am Great and Powerful after all! Now go to your room and take your cocoa with you.”

Cozy Glow grabs the cocoa from the table in her hooves and then tentatively flies to the door, opens it with her mouth, and then flies away closing the door gently behind her.

Trixie’s thoughts: Well I got the little filly to understand that friendship is important to her and that it’s something she needs. Now that she’s my friend and not friends with those other bad elements, I should be able to direct and guide her to a more constructive way of life. I know we need to work and explore this more, but I think that’s enough for now and Cozy Glow needs to think about what just happened.


Day 13:

Cozy Glow flies to Trixie’s office door and opens it when she notices her usual cocoa is on the floor next to some coloring books, puzzles, and toys. She also notices a model train set running in the corner of the room and briefly imagines 6 specific ponies tied to the tracks before correcting herself. She looks over at Trixie who has a smile on her face. Trixie stares back at the perplexed Pegasus and says, “We’re going to do something a little bit different today. Now the malt shop in town doesn’t open until 11 and our meetings usually take place at 9:30, like it is now. Meaning you have an hour and a half to kill. Do that by coloring, putting together puzzles, and playing or whatever you like to do now Cozy Glow. I have a few errands to run and I’ll be back to get you at 11.”

Cozy Glow then looks flustered and says, “But after what I did? Nopony will even look at me and they certainly won’t talk to me! I just fly here and back in the mornings for our meetings. I don’t want to go anywhere else just yet Miss Trixie!”

Trixie then says, “Well let me ask you this Cozy Glow… Do you trust me?”

Cozy Glow looks at the floor before saying, “Well golly Miss Trixie! You’re all I have right now so um, I guess I do trust you?”

Trixie then says, “Good! Now don’t worry! I got your back! You just relax and have fun for now. There’s more cocoa in the kitchen if you need some and the guard outside will get you anything else you might want.” She then uses her magic to put on her cloak and hat before walking out of the room leaving a very nervous Pegasus filly there to play with her things.

And hour and a half later, Trixie returns to find that Cozy Glow had colored a few pages in her book and put together one of the small 50 piece puzzles she left for her. Trixie says, “Are you ready to go Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow looks at her nervously and says, “Well don’t we need to put up these things first? Heh heh?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Oh don’t worry about that little filly! I’ll deal with that later myself…”

Cozy Glow then stares at Trixie and says, “But after what I did, I don’t know if I can face anypony right now?”

Trixie trots over to Cozy Glow and hugs her before saying to her softly, “I understand you might not be ready yet Cozy Glow… So I thought that I’d do this to you to at least get you to think about what’s to come… You’re going to have to one day face the world Cozy Glow… You’re going to have to admit that you messed up and just accept and move past that… The real trick is to pretend that stuff never happened! But that’s another thing we’re going to work on okay? Now go fly back to your room and read or do whatever you like.”

Cozy Glow flies towards the door and opens it with her hooves before going outside. She makes it down the block and even got a couple of the usual stares from other ponies before flying back into the school to Trixie’s office. She opens the door and peeks inside to see Trixie there using her magic to sort more paperwork. She says to Trixie, “Um, Miss Trixie? I think I’m ready now? To go to the malt shop I mean? Um, that is, if you really want to?”

A confused blue unicorn then looks at Cozy Glow and asks her, “Are you sure you’re ready for this? To face the world I mean?”

Cozy Glow just shakes her head and says, “Look! You said yourself that I’m gonna have to do it sooner or later right? And it’s been about ten years or so since I was last really bad. I really don’t think a few more weeks is gonna make that much of a difference?”

Trixie then uses her magic to fetch her cloak and hat to put on her as she trots towards the door. She then says to Cozy Glow, “You do make some good points Cozy Glow. You’re actually pretty smart!”

Cozy Glow then smiles and says, “Well, smart enough to overthrow Equestria?”

They both laugh a bit before Trixie says, “Almost anyway!”

As they both trotted out of the school, Cozy Glow became very self conscious of the other ponies were looking at the two of them together and she knows she saw two of them whispering to each other in the corner. Trixie looks at her and smiles before saying, “Don’t worry Cozy Glow! Let me guide you! Let me be your strength!” As they both trotted down to the malt shop in downtown Ponyville, Cozy Glow stayed very close to Trixie. They eventually made it to the malt shop and Trixie used her magic to pull out a stool for Cozy Glow before sitting next from her at the bar

The attendant asks them, “What can I get you two?

Trixie looks down at her little companion and asks her, “What would you like Cozy Glow?”

She looks up at the attendant solemnly and softly says, “Um, I always liked strawberry?

Trixie then looks at the attendant and says, “She’ll have a large strawberry shake and I’ll have my usual peanut butter praline!”

The attendant walks away from the bar before Cozy Glow whispers to Trixie, “They’re all staring at us!”

Trixie just smiles and says, “So what? Let them stare! Trust me Cozy Glow! It won’t hurt you!”

Cozy Glow scoots her stool just a little bit closer to Trixie before the attendant returns balancing a tray on his muzzle and then sets it down on the table before using his hooves to give Cozy Glow a large creamy looking pink shake and then he gives Trixie a brownish mixture with what Cozy Glow can only assume are chocolate swirls. Trixie sips some of hers through the straw and says, “This is my favorite! So what I wanted to talk to you about was being a recovering villain. Now you did some bad things back there and now you need to understand that it’s going to take awhile before other ponies like you and trust you again. Believe me! I know!”

Cozy Glow nervously looks around and sees other ponies leaving in the back before whispering, “I’m not sure this was such a good idea anymore?”

Trixie looks at Cozy Glow and says, “You’ll be fine! Trust me! They might glare and sometimes even whisper, but it’s not going to harm you. Plus, I always have your back Cozy Glow!”

Cozy Glow whispers back, “So you’ve done this before?”

Trixie smiles again and says, “Well yeah! You see, long ago I used a soul sucking evil amulet to imprison and enslave the entire town! Don’t tell anypony this, but sometimes, even the Great and Powerful Trixie makes mistakes!”

Cozy Glow sips her shake and giggles a bit before saying, “So I guess you were bad like me then huh?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Well once upon a time! But I learned from my mistakes, got past them, and got better just like how we’re going to make you better! Enjoying your shake?”

Cozy Glow smiles and says, “Oh yes Miss Trixie! Don’t tell anypony I said this, but the shakes at the castle aren’t really as creamy as they need to be!”

Trixie says, “Your secret is safe with me! Now look at you Cozy Glow! You’re relaxing and enjoying a strawberry milkshake with your good friend Trixie! How do you feel?”

Cozy Glow suddenly looks shocked and says, “Well, good I guess? I mean, I know they’re staring at me and it’s probably gonna be awhile before anypony gives me a chance. I’m actually surprised they still took our orders after everything I did?”

Trixie giggles and says, “Well the bits are still gold aren’t they?”

Cozy Glow replies, “Well I guess you’re right? I mean, they still make money off us!”

Trixie replies, “Exactly! Regardless of how they feel about us, we’re still part of their livelihood. I see you’re almost done there? I really should drink more of mine!”

She takes a mighty slurp of her milkshake while Cozy Glow looks around and notices the room is starting to clear out. She then says to Trixie, “Um, everypony is leaving? Is that normal?”

Trixie smiles once again and says, “Yeah pretty much? You’re gonna get that for awhile kid so I’d suggest getting used to it! Well, whenever you’re ready to go out on your own anyway!”

Cozy Glow sips up the last of her shake before saying, “Well I don’t know when that’s gonna be Miss Trixie, but I do like you an awful lot and thanks for the yummy milkshake!”

Trixie then says, “Would you like this to be a regular thing Cozy Glow? The more these ponies see of you, especially you with me, the more likely they are to open up to you. And the attendant seemed okay anyway?”

Cozy Glow then looks hopeful and says, “Um, sure Miss Trixie!”

Trixie then looks down at Cozy Glow and says, “Very well then! Every Saturday afternoon after you’re reformed, we shall go to the malt shop for a yummy treat! How does that sound to you Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow smiles and says, “That sounds great Trixie! But um, I kinda wanna go back now? Those ponies that just came in are looking at me funny.”

Trixie smiles once more, uses her magic to fetch 4 bits from her saddlebags and places them onto the counter before getting up and softly whispering to Cozy Glow, “Follow my lead!” She then smugly gets off of her stool and walks towards the door with Cozy Glow close in tow. She does notice the two ponies off to the side glaring at them and yells out, “Take a picture! It’ll last longer!” and then confidently struts out of building while giggling and with her little friend close behind her.

Cozy Glow looks up at Trixie and says, “I can’t believe you said that?”

Trixie giggles and waves her hoof before saying, “Oh buck them Cozy Glow!” Cozy Glow then looks at Trixie with an aghast expression while Trixie continues, “Seriously! Just because somepony made a mistake doesn’t give you the right to act like jerks! Real friends will always give you a chance. But not everypony can be your friend. That’s another lesson you need to learn.”

Cozy Glow then says, “So I can’t just be friends with anypony then?”

Trixie replies, “No Cozy Glow. You should always pick and choose your friends carefully because not everypony is really your friend and not everypony is worth being friends with.”

Cozy Glow then says, “Golly! I guess I’ll have to remember that later on?”

Trixie snickers and says, “Well it wouldn’t be a horrible idea! But on the bright side, you do now have somepony as amazing as me as your friend!” She looks at Cozy Glow with a smile on her face to see the little filly giggling again.

We’re here at the school of friendship, but now our time is up. Did you have a good time Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow says, “Well yes Miss Trixie. I never really thought about it, but you’re right. I’m gonna have to go into the world again sooner or later and then I’ll have to deal with ponies glaring at me because of what I did huh? But um, Trixie?”

Trixie looks down at her and says, “Yes Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow looks at the ground before saying, “I guess I’m still pretty nervous? Um, will you stay with me? While I’m out I mean? So it’s uh, not so hard and I’m not alone?”

Trixie then hugs Cozy Glow again and says, “Of course I’ll be with you little filly! I’ll stay with you every step of the way! Because that’s what friends do!”

Cozy Glow then stares up at her and says, “Th-thank you Miss Trixie! I gotta go now! I don’t know when they’re gonna bring my lunch, but I’ll see you tomorrow okay?”

Trixie looks at her small winged friend and says, “Of course Cozy Glow!”

Cozy Glow then flies off back to the Castle of Friendship while Trixie trots up the stairs into the School of Friendship.

Trixie’s thoughts: That actually went a lot better than I expected. I knew she’d eventually come with me to the malt shop, but I really didn’t expect that to happen on day 0! She’s a former villain and as a former villain myself, I know getting used to “not being bad” is a bit of an adjustment. As such, I’m also going to be working to properly reform Cozy Glow there as well. She needs to get used to the stares she’ll receive for awhile and learn how to build good constructive friendships from what she can find. I’ll be there for her the whole time because, well I’m starting to like the little filly honestly? She reminds me a bit of myself after I became free from the Alicorn Amulet. She needs to get past this and I’m here to help her work through it.


Day 15:

Cozy Glow flies to Trixie’s office door and she notices there isn’t a guard there. “I guess they don’t think that’s necessary anymore either?” She thinks to herself as she opens the door with her hooves and slowly trots in to see Trixie patiently waiting for her at her desk. Cozy Glow also can’t help but notice that the kitchen door is closed. “That’s weird?” Cozy Glow thinks to herself as she takes her normal seat. She then looks around the office and notices that once again, coloring books, crayons, and toys litter the floor. “I wonder why she did that again?” Cozy Glow thinks to herself.

Trixie then says, “Well I decided to just have our regular talk yesterday and give these lessons a quick break before we continue. But today, I have something special in mind! So you’ve been free for what? 22 days now and so far, I’m your only friend? Well that’s about to change! Now in my kitchen right now is a unicorn filly named Starshine. She was enrolled in Ponyville Elementary on the West side of town, but she’s transferring to the School of Friendship to learn more about that instead. Now she’s a little excitable and quirky, but I think you two would hit it off!

Annoyed at this prospect, Cozy Glow crosses her forehooves and says, “So basically, you want us to be friends because we’re both social rejects?”

Trixie looks astonished as she says, “Well I don’t think I’d go that far?”

Cozy Glow smiles and says, “Well I’m pretty much an outcast because of what I did 10 years ago! She’s gonna be enrolling in the School of Friendship next semester, which means she’s probably not very good at it. Wasn’t hard to figure out!”

Trixie just sighs and admits, “Okay maybe both of you aren’t exactly socially butterflies and maybe both of you need help in the friend making department! This is true! But, why not help each other like that?”

Cozy Glow mutters something under her breath before conceding, “Fine! This new filly is in the kitchen?”

And then, the doorknob to the kitchen door glows and the door slowly opens to reveal a dark purple unicorn filly that’s maybe 10 years old Cozy Glow guessed. She has white stringy hair with hot pink streaks in it and blue eyes. She stared at Cozy Glow before saying, “Um, h-hi! I’m Starshine!”

Cozy Glow looks at her and says, “Um, I’m Cozy Glow!”

And as Cozy Glow took in this other filly, she couldn’t help but think to herself. This whole time, all she ever did was tell people stories to get them to do what she wanted. Nopony had ever actually gotten to know her. I mean, really her. What if she was boring? What if Starshine didn’t like her? What if she didn’t like Starshine? All these worries were going through the Pegasus filly’s mind while Starshine slowly trotted up to meet her. Then she thought that maybe Starshine was a bit nervous as well as she couldn’t help but notice that she moved kinda slow trotting up to her and the hoof she extended to shake was shaky and her hoof shake was very rigid.

Cozy Glow decides to take charge and says, “So um, wanna color?”

Starshine then says, “Uh, sure!”

So they both go over to a section of Trixie’s office while Trixie watches them. They each pick out a coloring book and Starshine grabs the crayons over on her side with her hooves and sets it between them so they can both get whatever colors they want. They each select a page in their books and start to color.

Cozy Glow uses her hooves to guide her crayon in her mouth when Starshine notices this and says, “Wow! I normally just use my magic, but I’ve never seen a non-unicorn do that before?”

Cozy Glow spits out her crayon before saying, “Well yeah! Usually there’s some off marks whenever something is colored by an earth pony or Pegasus, but I like to guide my crayon with my hooves so it doesn’t go anywhere I don’t want it to.”

Starshine then says, “Wow! You’re pretty smart Cozy Glow!”

Cozy Glow blushes and says, “Um, thanks! Hey I’ve seen that pony in some of the comics they brought me at the castle! But I thought she was red? You colored her dark purple like you?”

Starshine blushes just a little and smiles before saying, “Yeah I kinda always admired Storm Crusher. She’s my hero and I want to be just like her one day.

Cozy Glow perplexed, then asks her, “Why do you like Storm Crusher so much Starshine?”

Starshine replies, “Because she’s a good pony and always tries to do what’s right! And like me, she makes a lot of mistakes, but always still manages to see it through. She never gives up and that’s a lesson I need to learn. I heard what you said out here and you’re right… I’m uh, not very good at friendship. I give up too easily, usually before I even try.”

Cozy Glow perplexed, then asks her new friend, “Um, plenty of ponies out there? They don’t all suck! Maybe just try to find something both you and the other pony are interested in?”

Starshine looks at her and says, “Well I dunno? What do you like to do Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow stares at the ceiling before saying, “I uh, never really thought about it actually? Since they unfroze me from stone, all I’ve been doing is coloring, reading, and putting together puzzles. And talking with Miss Trixie over there and um, sometimes I talk to my toys…”

Starshine then asks her, “Wait! You were turned to stone? Why in Equestria did that happen to you?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well I did some bad things and they kinda, well turned me to stone because of it. I know I look 9, but I’m actually 19… I spent 10 years as a statue…”

Starshine then says, “Wait! So you were bad and now you’re free?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well I want to get better now and Miss Trixie is helping me! Um, so I talk to my toys?”

Starshine then says, “Oh I do that too! Heh! Lemme guess! You don’t feel like you can talk to any actual live ponies about whatever it is and so you talk to your toys about it instead?”

Cozy Glow looks at the grounds and says, “Well yeah? I guess that’s why I do it?”

Starshine then says, “I don’t usually have anypony I can talk to and so I talk to my toys a lot. Usually about things that are bothering me…”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well what bothers you Starshine?”

Starshine then says, “Well since I started at Ponyville Elementary, I’ve been by myself. Nopony I can really talk to and I guess the adult ponies noticed that?”

Cozy Glow looks over at Trixie observing them and says, “Yeah they do that a lot!”

They both giggle a little bit before coloring some more. Cozy Glow then grabs a dragon plush toy with her hooves and moves it towards Starshine while saying, “Grr! I’m a ferocious dragon and I’m gonna eat you!”

Starshine playfully bats at the toy with her hooves and says, “Oh no! Please don’t eat me Mr. Dragon!”

Cozy Glow moves it closer to her while saying, “It’s too late for that Starshine! I’m gonna eat you! Rawr!” Cozy Glow then moves the toy at Starshine with her hooves while all Starshine can do is giggle and they both have a good laugh.

As Trixie watched these two fillies interacting, she couldn't help but think that once upon a time, that Pegasus was a monster who tried to steal all the magic in Equestria... And now, she's playing plushies with her new friend!

Cozy Glow then asks Starshine, “So what do you wanna do now?”

Starshine looks up and thinks for a moment before saying, “Well we could play with the train or maybe put together a puzzle? I saw a 100 piece back there that I kinda liked?”

Cozy Glow, unsure of what to do, then says, “Well uh, okay! Lets put together the puzzle Starshine!”

Starshine grabs the puzzle from across the room with her magic and takes it out of the box before they start putting it together with one another. Cozy Glow carefully moves the pieces into place with her hooves and mouth while all Starshine has to do is just use her magic to put the pieces into place. Cozy Glow is slightly annoyed that her new companion has an easier time of this and briefly remember being an Alicorn, but decides to just forget it and she then says, “So what do you like to do for fun Starshine?”

Starshine looks up at her and says, “Well I always liked stargazing and astronomy? Probably why there’s a cluster of stars with planets as my cutie mark?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Oh that’s cool!”

Starshine scratches the back of her head with her hoof and says, “I guess so? Yeah I was gonna get out my telescope and do it again tonight. Sure gets pretty lonely though with nopony to talk to?”

Cozy Glow has a sudden thought and looks at Trixie. Trixie just smiles and says, “I’ll let the guards know! Be back by 11 and there will be somepony heading to your room to check on you to make sure you’re there!”

This prospect makes Cozy Glow elated when she says, “So uh, what kind of telescope to you have Starshine?”

She says, “Well it’s just a regular refracting telescope. I don’t own anything fancy just yet.”

Cozy Glow realizes that she’s never had an interest in stargazing when she asks Starshine, “So why do you like to stargaze Starshine?”

Starshine smiles and says, “Well it always just seems really neat that there’s other stars and planets out there. You ever wonder if any of them have life like we do here? Or what they look like?

Cozy Glow then says, “Well no? I never really thought about it?”

Starshine says, “Well yeah! I want to explore the universe later and I think I’ll be an astronomer!”

Cozy Glow then says, “Neat! Uh, what time should I meet you and where?”

Starshine then says, “Well how about 8 o’clock in the courtyard?”

Cozy Glow then looks at Trixie who slowly nods her head and Cozy Glow then says, “Okay I’ll meet you there at 8!”

They finish putting together the puzzle after about 45 minutes of working on it and then they take it apart and then put it back into the box.

Cozy Glow then asks Starshine, “So uh, what do you want to do now?”

Trixie interrupts and says, “Well now our session is almost over! You two were so busy playing that you didn’t even notice all the time slipping away!”

Cozy Glow shakes her head before looking at the clock and saying, “Golly! I didn’t even notice!”

Trixie just smiles and says, “Well time flies when you’re having fun!”

Cozy Glow says, “Fun? Um, I guess I did have fun huh?”

Trixie continues, “Yes you did Cozy Glow. And now you have a date to meet your new friend tonight at 8 in the courtyard. But now it’s time for you to fly back to your room. Have fun little filly!”

Cozy Glow flew back to her room at the castle and her lunch was already waiting for her on the floor in front of her door. Then she colored until around 2 and took a nap before eating her dinner and read her storybook until around 7:45. She then opened the door with her hooves as she hovered in front of it and flew down the street to the School of Friendship. When she arrived, she saw it was 7:57 on the clock tower. She sat down and thought to herself. She’s never been stargazing before? What should she do? What should she talk about? How should she act? All of these thoughts were going through the filly’s mind until she saw her new friend approaching in the distance wearing saddlebags. She timidly trotted to greet her.

“Hi Starshine!” Cozy Glow said as she trotted up.

“Hi Cozy Glow! Uh, this area would be okay to set up the telescope!” Starshine said as she unpacked her saddlebags to show a telescope and a book. “Hang on Cozy Glow! I’ll get this set up!” Said Starshine as she magically adjusted her telescope.

“Okay so what then? I should just stand here or?” Cozy Glow asks Starshine.

Starshine smiles and says, “Well I just wanted to show you something!” as she looks through her telescope. She then smiles and said, “Yes! There it is! Hey Cozy Glow! Come look at this!”

Cozy Glow trotted up to see through the eyepiece and she saw a beautiful star there.

Starshine then says, “That’s Andromeda! A star not too far from here! Pretty cool huh?”

“Wow! That’s really neat Starshine! How often to you do this?” Cozy Glow asks her new friend.

Starshine looks down and says, “Usually every night, except I did it from my house back then.”

Cozy Glow then says, “Oh cool! What else can you show me?”

Starshine sees something behind Cozy Glow and then trots over and uses her magic to swing the telescope around looks through the eyepiece before looking up and muttering to herself about azimuth adjustments and then looks through the eyepiece again and smiles. “Hey Cozy Glow! Come check this out!” Starshine says.

Cozy Glow looks through the eyepiece and says, “Oh that looks like a planet!”

Starshine smiles and says, “That’s because it is! That’s the nearest planet to ours, named Icarus!”

Cozy Glow smiles and says, “Oh neat! So every night huh?”

Starshine says, “Well yeah! Usually! Sometimes I also look at constellations?”

Cozy Glow then looks at her and says, “Oh?”

Starshine smiles and points her hoof around Cozy Glow’s shoulder and says, “Yeah like that’s Canus Major over there!”

Cozy Glow looks behind her and after her eyes have a chance to focus, she sees the stars in the sky forming a unique pattern. She then looks at Starshine and says, “Golly! I guess there’s a lot to look at?”

Starshine smiles and says, “Well yeah! It’s a big sky! So I’ve seen you go to and from the school every morning, but I don’t see you around other than that? You go to Trixie’s office?”

Cozy Glow looks at the ground and says, “Well yeah… Remember how I told you I did bad things a long time ago? Well I uh, tried to steal all the magic from Equestria and was sent to Tartarus for two years before coming back to attack the Princess of Friendship and her friends with some other bad guys… But um, that was a long time ago…”

Aghast, Starshine then says, “Wow! Uh, that’s pretty neat in a fiendish evil kinda way?”

Cozy Glow replies, “You think so huh? But still, I understand if you don’t wanna trust me or be my friend anymore…” She then looks down with a sullen look in her auburn eyes.

Starshine looks at her new friend, smiles, and says, “… You’re right! It was a long time ago Cozy Glow and I don’t think it really matters anymore. You’re my friend!”

Cozy Glow then says, “Even after you know what I did, you still wanna be my friend?”

Starshine then says, “Sure! You spent a couple of years in Tartarus and about 10 years as a statue yes? I’m sure you’re okay by this point!” And then she did something that scared Cozy Glow. She hugged her!

Cozy Glow tensed up at first. Sure Trixie had hugged her numerous times before, but to get a hug like this, from another filly no less! A filly who actually liked her, for her! Not for somepony she pretended to be, but the real her! It seemed almost unreal and all Cozy Glow could do was stand there dumbfounded.

Starshine pulls away and says with a confused expression on her face, “You okay Cozy Glow?”

“Uh, yeah I think so? Why did you hug me?” Cozy Glow replied.

Starshine looked down before saying, “Well after telling me about your past, you seemed pretty tense and unsure of yourself and well, I just wanted you to feel better?” She then fidgets her right forehoof into ground looking unsure of herself.

Cozy Glow shocked, then says, “Wait! Uh you care about how I feel?”

Starshine shrugs and says, “Of course Cozy Glow! We’re friends now r-right?”

Cozy Glow smiles and says, “S-sure Starshine!” and then she fidgets her own right forehoof into the ground before saying, “Um, does this mean we have to hug again?”

Starshine just looks at Cozy Glow with a gleeful expression and says, “I think so? Well uh, if you really want to?” and then looks unsure of herself again.

Cozy Glow then embraces her new friend again into her front legs before pulling back and asking her, “Well uh, how was that?”

Starshine smiles and said, “That was uh, nice?” Then she looks at the clock tower before saying, ”Hey weren’t you supposed to be back at 11? It’s 10:47 now!”

Cozy Glow looks at the tower before saying, “Oh pony feathers! Hey I’ll see you later Starshine!” she called out to her new friend as she flew back to the Castle of Friendship. She landed on the steps and opened the door with her hooves before going inside and making her way to her room. She looked at the clock on her nightstand before saying, “Okay 10:58! I’m doing okay! I still have 2 more minutes!” When suddenly, there’s a knock on her door and she nods to the unicorn guard who quietly opens the door and he nods back before shutting her door again with his magic. Cozy Glow then snuggled her two beloved plush toys, the teddy bear and the dolphin before going to sleep snug under her covers.


Day 15:

The next morning, Cozy Glow flew to the School of Friendship and arrives at Trixie’s office door inside before opening it with her hooves and flying in near her usual seat on the couch. She quietly sits down and sees her usual cocoa is already waiting on her. Trixie is there with a smile on her face.

Cozy Glow takes her cup of cocoa in her hooves and takes a swig as Trixie begins. “Well for the past 4 days, minus 1, I’ve put you in situations that you’re not used to Cozy Glow. First, I taught you that friendship was important to you by showing you that you won’t abandon me because I’m your friend and you love me. Next, I showed you a bit of the world and got you to understand that not everypony is your friend and not everypony is worth being friends with. Then I introduced you to another filly and let you two spend the day together more or less. The idea was to get you into new and different situations to get you to have realizations. How did I do Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow is stunned for a moment before saying, “Well golly Miss Trixie! It was interesting to learn all of these things about myself and um, I kinda like Starshine and would like to see more of her?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Well she is going here next semester with you and I’ll be sure to call her around later. See? Not only are you now on a first name basis with the Great and Powerful counselor of this school, but you already know somepony going here! And do you know what the best part is Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow stunned, then asks her, “Um, what?”

Trixie smiles broadly and continues, “You did it all yourself! You chose not fly out of that window and leave me behind. You chose to go to the malt shop with me even though you didn’t really have to. And you chose to do something with Starshine that she enjoys, even though you never particularly had any interest in it. You did all of that Cozy Glow! Now how do you feel?”

Cozy Glow, dumbfounded, then says, “Um, I never really thought I could be friends with anypony before and now I have two of them? And uh, I guess I can make more later huh?”

Trixie then says, “Well we’ll get there Cozy Glow. Now that you understand a few key things about friendship, I think your education is coming along well. This is another reflection day Cozy Glow! Now go fly back to your room and do something you enjoy! Color or read a book maybe?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Um, Miss Trixie? I kinda like spending time with you?”

Trixie then says, “Oh? Well was there something on your mind little filly?”

Cozy Glow then says, “Well, yes there is actually! It seems like you’re manipulating me and getting me to do what you want? I mean, you knew I wouldn’t fly out of that window! You knew me and Starshine would talk and have fun that night we were stargazing didn’t you? And um, I’m starting to think you knew I would fly back to the school in order to do that malt shop thing with you?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Well the malt shop was really the only X factor, although I knew you’d do it with me eventually whenever you were ready and I’d be able to teach you that lesson. But that’s another thing I wanted you to understand Cozy Glow. Manipulating people isn’t always bad! Sometimes, you can get them to see the world in another light just like I’m doing for you Cozy Glow. I’m helping you by manipulating you and that’s why it’s possible for us to use your talents for good after you’re reformed! But it’s also important that you remember don’t have to do anything you don’t want to Cozy Glow. We’re here to help you after all. Not make you uncomfortable…”

Cozy Glow then says, “I don’t understand though? You don’t have to care about me? You could’ve just left me as a statue? Why did you agree to this? Why are you trying to reform me? What’s in it for you?”

Trixie smiles again and says, “How about I get an amazing new friend named Cozy Glow?”

Cozy Glow is stunned again when she says, “Golly! Y-you really want me as a friend huh Trixie?”

Trixie then says, “Why wouldn’t I Cozy Glow? You’re just confused and damaged and I’m here to help you!”

Cozy Glow takes another swig of her cocoa and processes all of this for a minute.

Trixie then says, “But you’ve had a lot to process over the last few days and I think you really need another reflection day. Go fly back to your room now and color or read or do something you enjoy. Take your cocoa with you again and once again, I’ll just have the guard retrieve the mug later. They only give me so many of those you know!”

Cozy Glow then smiles and says, “Um, okay Miss Trixie! Hey I kinda um, really like talking with you?”

Trixie smiles and says, “Of course Cozy Glow! I like talking with you as well. Now go to your room and reflect.”

Trixie’s thoughts: Well the lessons went even better than I expected. She doesn’t seem very resistant, but it’s also very likely that 10 years as a statue gave her a lot of time to think about things and her life. I really think I’m making good progress here!

Author's Note:

So in this chapter, Cozy Glow begins to learn of a better way after realizing that Trixie's friendship is important to her. She explores different ideas and her new friend is there to help her explore. For this one, I wanted to introduce Starshine as a metaphor for this wonderful fandom and what it has done for me. At this point, many good friends of mine are also bronies.