• Published 4th Mar 2020
  • 532 Views, 111 Comments

Mapping Manehattan - The Red Parade



Fiddlesticks and Lightning Dust explore a ruined Manehattan.

  • ...
5
 111
 532

meeting

Up ahead there’s a group of ponies. Four of them. They’re standing underneath a bridge, partially hidden in the shadows. One of them is standing at an open electrical box, pulling at some wires with her magic.

The other three are standing in a half circle, weapons at the ready. A brown stallion smokes a cigarette, his eyes flicking up and down the road nervously. A light blue pegasus leans against the wall lazily. A creme-colored earth pony has her back to the road, watching the green unicorn work.

The stallion looks up as Fiddle and Lightning approach. His rifle rises a little bit, and he whispers urgently to the others. They take defensive positions, but keep their guns down. Fiddle taps her hoof against her chest twice, then raises a foreleg and draws two circles in the air.

A safe signal, established between occupants of various settlements. Fiddle didn’t know who invented it, but it was a brilliant idea.

The others lower their guns. The leader pumps her hoof twice in response. They approach and smile.

They shake hooves and exchange names. Caramel. Sassaflash. Bon Bon. Lyra. From the settlement near Circle Park.

Lightning explains that they are from the Hope Hotel. Caramel asks about their situation. Fine, but running low on supplies. Bon Bon says a supply convoy was ambushed the other day.

Fiddle asks what they’re doing. Lyra explains that she’s just trying to get some of the lights in the area working again. Sassaflash used to be an electrician. Lightning laughs and says that they need more of her. She asks what everyone else used to do.

Caramel was a delivery pony. Lyra was a musician. Bon Bon was a baker. Fiddle chimes in that she was a musician too. They ask what Lightning did. She shrugs and says ‘the military.’ Everypony understands and they lower their heads in sympathy. Lightning Dust shakes it off quickly though. They don’t ask her what unit she was in, so she doesn’t say.

Bon Bon asks them if there’s anything specific they need. Fiddlesticks says painkillers.

Bon Bon pulls a bottle of medicine from her bag and offers to trade. Fiddlesticks and Lightning sling off their saddlebags. The others stand guard, eyes scanning the streets.

The three begin discussing items, throwing out names. Pack of playing cards? Set of small screwdrivers? Box of nails? Rations? Bon Bon settles on the set of screwdrivers.

Something in Bon Bon’s bag catches Lightning’s eyes. She asks what Bon Bon wants for the hat. Bon Bon says it’s Caramel’s. Lightning reaches into her bag and pulls out two packs of cigarettes. She doesn’t smoke, but they make good traders.

Caramel nods his head, and Lightning takes the hat. Fiddle repacks her bags and thanks them. They all shake hooves again and wish each other luck. Lyra starts working again. Lightning and Fiddlesticks depart.

On the hat there’s a symbol: a lightning bolt with wings. It doesn’t mean anything anymore. But it used to.