• Published 5th Jan 2020
  • 13,776 Views, 424 Comments

Godly Promotion - Dapper_Dan



Legends speak of a being beyond the strength any mortal can possess, the one who created the cosmos itself. These tales are no mere legend though, the creator now walking amongst them...but not how many of them would have thought he would.

  • ...
17
 424
 13,776

Chapter 2

The warmth of the sun was a foreign sensation to me now, having not felt its heat upon my form for many millennia. It brought a certain level of nostalgia and reminded me of a time long since passed, a time I can barely remember anymore, but still cherish all the same. This is most likely why it took me nearly an hour to actually open my eyes to greet the world I now found myself a resident of.

Why it took me so long to recognize I was actually breathing and that my heart was once more beating.

So many new sensations, new yet old, overwhelmed me and froze me on the spot while my ancient mind processed everything, feeling a single tear roll down my eyes as they slowly opened to let me see the world once more.

The vast ocean was the first thing to greet my sight, the crystal waters going on miles with small islands dotting the horizon; the feel of sand under my hooves and the taste of salt in the air.

This was the Oshun Sea, the third longest stretch of water that divided the great Savannas of Zebrica from the lands of Equestria.

‘Little off course, but I suppose that’s to be expected.’ I thought to myself, my eyes wandering from side to side, looking for any signs of civilization, knowing there was supposed to be several small settlements along the coast of Oshun. Where they were though, I honestly didn’t know, meaning I would have to search along the several hundred miles of the coast waters in search of the closest Zebra settlement.

‘Well, I got these things for a reason’ I chuckled, looking back and spreading my leathery wings, running through the exercises that Scáth, the Thestral mother, showed me. Now I just have to hope I remembered how to actually use these damn things...this should be fun.


I’m not proud to admit it, but it took several minutes and quite a few crashes before my muscle memory kicked in and let me stay in the air for more than three seconds. On the bright side, I now know I made this body right since I was actually able to feel pain again.

Wasn’t a pleasant experience, but appreciated nonetheless.

Anyway, that was about three hours ago, meaning I was able to cover quite a bit of ground before the sun had set, indicating I should probably set up camp; Wasn’t exactly keen on traveling at night despite being a Thestral.

This is how I found myself staring at a magically conjured flame, listening to the quietly rolling waves of the Sea and the gentle popping of the fire. My mind running a mile a minute on my future endeavors, as well as looking back at all the information my children had learned during their lives on Solitarius, which they were all too eager to share with me before their passing.

I vaguely wondered on how the world was now set up, having failed to properly keep track of the generations since the mothers left their children to their own devices, aside from the ponies taking over for Mother Nature and orbit, meaning I was completely at a loss without a single clue on how to proceed.

I was never much a forward thinker, having always played things by ear and somehow getting lucky that I didn’t completely botch my little section of the multiverse. This always kept me thinking, always learning, and kept things exciting. I cherished this excitement, having learned the hard truth that every immortal’s worst enemy was, indeed, boredom.

This led me to start creating my own entertainment outside of watching the universe pass me by.

This usually manifested in making stars go supernova and watching the pretty explosions, but even that gets old after awhile. It eventually escalated to scaring the mortals with a rogue meteor or two, never actually doing any real damage outside of a forest or lake, maybe a small abandoned town now and then.

I never went beyond that though, always holding myself back whenever my inner sadist wanted me to tap into my power and cause an apocalypse, no matter how the mortals ended up pissing me off with their constant need to control the planet.

Frankly, I don’t think I would really have to do anything to destroy the planet either; all I had to do was leave the mortals to their own devices and they would have done the job for me after a couple thousand years or so. I didn’t want that to happen though, because I still wanted this planet to flourish without having me push the reset button.

I can’t really blame them for their mistrust though, seeing as how most societies eventually enter that phase in life where racism (or speciesism in this case) is the norm and things just go downhill from there. It was just a matter of time before they ended up seeing each other in certain ways and coming up with stereotypes, cause everyone knows there’s nothing in existence more tolerant that a free thinking individual.

This is what I get for letting my imagination run wild on a single planet.

Don’t get me wrong, this world is still one of my greatest achievements, as well as a good testing ground should I ever try something like this again, but dear me do I just want to murder everyone and everything that calls the rock home sometimes.

Worst part is, they don’t even acknowledge the mothers anymore, letting their legacy devolve to nothing more than fairy tales and what little bit of religion they still clung to. Sure they still worship me, or the idea of me at the very least, but I didn’t want them to start a religion based on me. I wanted to keep them believing that the mothers were the ones to shape the world, which they kind of were in all honesty seeing as I just made the damn thing, but that Minotaur known as Athína had to make an offhand comment about my existence to one of her children that started the whole Church of Primis...imaginative ones, my creations are.

Nevertheless, what’s done is done, nothing I can do about it without destroying the entire space-time continuum.

All I can do is focus on the present, meaning I need to get to the closest town from here and make my way towards Equestria so I can try and fix that whole shit show. Didn’t really have my hopes up in succeeding but at least I could say I tried. I mean, I could probably fix it with a snap of my metaphorical fingers, but then I would end up messing with the free will of an entire species, which is one of the few promises I made to my daughters.

Biggest mistake I had ever made.

I let a tired sigh leave my muzzle after that little thought ran through my head, letting my eyes rest on the fire that was now reduced to glowing embers.

“Must have been lost in my head for quite awhile.” I said with a chuckle, my voice deep and smooth, much to my pleasure.

The fire was ignited once again, a fresh stack of wood appearing to replace the dying embers while another was placed next to it, far away enough to keep from igniting.

I did this for nostalgia purposes really, not actually needing a fire to stay warm, but its presence still comforted me. It’s such a simple thing, but it’s the little things in life you take for granted, letting me lose myself to memories that are fuzzy at best, but still there despite the passage of time.

I know it probably wasn’t a healthy thing for me to let my mind wander as much as it does, but it’s not like my mind can deteriorate more than it already has. I was already walking on the thin line between sanity and schizophrenia, which I really wanted to share with this planet.

Nothing like a mentally unstable cosmic being wandering the planet to get said planets populace united.

I blamed my voluntary isolation for the way I am, despite knowing I was already border line insane before receiving the biggest promotion in history.

That’s another thing that probably contributed to the deterioration of my sanity.

In all my years of living within this place, I was never able to come close to a solid answer behind the circumstances that led me to where I was, even with the help of all of my children. It was pretty disheartening, but I got over it pretty quickly, eventually just putting it on the back-burner to contemplate when I feel like losing my mind again. At least that’s what I did after a majority of the mothers told me to while those who didn’t were the ones I forget to bless with hyper intelligence, or at least something approaching it.

The rest of the thoughts my mind tended to drift towards ended up giving me a mild case of depression so I was pretty much left alone in my silence for most of the night, and I do mean most of it. It actually took the sudden influx of magic reaching towards the cosmos to drag me away from my silent musings, drawing my eyes upwards to the moon as it made its way towards the horizon to disappear with the light of the rising sun following close behind to stand in for its counterpart.

I felt my eye twitch ever so slightly before a tired sigh left me, losing the will to get angry over the abuse of power the unicorns performed every time they so much as thought about the sun and moon. I at least took solace in the fact they kept to a schedule, but for the love of all that’s holy was it annoying having to fix the entire Mythos System* to keep them from killing themselves on a daily basis.

‘Best get a move on’ I told myself quickly, trying not to think on this subject anymore than I had to, all it ever did was give me whatever counts as a migraine for a cosmic being. I didn’t know how much ground I had left to cover, but the sooner I find one of the Zebra’s villages the better.

After all, there was a lot of work to be done, so I best get to it.

Author's Note:

*The Mythos System is what I decided to name the specific area where the planet is, like how we have the Solar System. Its called this because, as we all know, most of the planet is inhabited and run by ideas considered myths.
I am not a very creative person when names are concerned.